inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to Ludacris?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/08/18 at 11:37 pm

He was basically the "Nicki Minaj" of the 2000s.  By that I mean he had successful collabs with many different artists that spanned the entire decade.  His success continued all the way into the early '10s.  However, after the song "The Rest Of My Life" in 2012, Ludacris has pretty much fallen completely off the map and most people have forgotten about him in terms of being a relevant current Top 40 artist.  Apparently he had an album last year but unless you were actively looking for it, you probably would have never known about it.  And honestly, I'm listening to it right now and it isn't bad.  So why has Ludacris fallen from being pretty much everywhere to being completely irrelevant?

Subject: Re: What happened to Ludacris?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/08/18 at 11:42 pm

I think it's because he was past his peak after the early 10s. I mean if you think about it, he dominated hip hop for about 12-13 years. That's a long time for a rap career and the fact he also could have a family that he's raising as well.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/09/18 at 12:01 am

Don't compare him to that nicki minaj

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/18 at 3:20 am

He's an actor now, and new host of Fear Factor.  He's doing just fine

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/09/18 at 10:02 am

I think it's because he was past his peak after the early 10s. I mean if you think about it, he dominated hip hop for about 12-13 years. That's a long time for a rap career and the fact he also could have a family that he's raising as well.

NerdyGamer said it best. Also, some artists are tied to the era they peaked in. Ludacris's style doesn't blend well with today's sound.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/18 at 10:19 am

NerdyGamer said it best. Also, some artists are tied to the era they peaked in. Ludacris's style doesn't blend well with today's sound.
Yeah Ludacris has a more classic style of Southern rap which predates trap and even crunk, similar to Outkast. He came in the game in the late 90s when ATL hip-hop was still niche. Atlanta had that Organized  Noise and So So Def sound.

Written By: J. Rob on 07/09/18 at 11:52 am

He one of the best example of a "2000s rapper". His acting career makes you think he was a bigger rapper than he was, but even within Hip Hop he was probably never more than the 3rd or 4th hottest rapper during his entire run. Jay-Z, Eminem, DMX, Nelly, 50 Cent, Kanye, Wayne, T.I., etc....all had more impressive runs IMO. I'm speaking in terms of overall impact and critical success within the genre, not just commercial success alone, which IMO still put him in the "very good" catergory.

Luda had a very respectable, but not legendary run.....probably the king of the Fabolous/Cam'Ron/Busta Rhymes/Game level of success

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/09/18 at 12:13 pm

He one of the best example of a "2000s rapper". His acting career makes you think he was a bigger rapper than he was, but even within Hip Hop he was probably never more than the 3rd or 4th hottest rapper during his entire run. Jay-Z, Eminem, DMX, Nelly, 50 Cent, Kanye, Wayne, T.I., etc....all had more impressive runs IMO. I'm speaking in terms of overall impact and critical success within the genre, not just commercial success alone, which IMO still put him in the "very good" catergory.

Luda had a very respectable, but not legendary run.....probably the king of the Fabolous/Cam'Ron/Busta Rhymes/Game level of success

and Kanye is still going

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/09/18 at 12:15 pm

Ludacris definitely added to the creativity of Hip-Hop in the early 2000s. He should get his props.  ;)

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/09/18 at 12:20 pm

This is a very accurate perspective. I may be biased also, Ludacris has crazy lyrical ability but barely comes up in the classic albums discussion. His sound is just classic to the south, not universally
Ludacris definitely added to the creativity of Hip-Hop in the early 2000s. He should get his props.  ;)

He does. Ludacris is just underrated.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/18 at 1:57 pm

This is a very accurate perspective. I may be biased also, Ludacris has crazy lyrical ability but barely comes up in the classic albums discussion. His sound is just classic to the south, not universally.

He does. Ludacris is just underrated.
Not mention how funny Luda is, my favorite song from Luda is Roll out that song had some funny lines.

Written By: J. Rob on 07/09/18 at 2:02 pm

I'd definitely put him in my Top 30 all time.....top 20 is a stretch IMO but is far from unreasonable

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/18 at 2:07 pm

Here's my favorite Ludacris songs
3ArhZPYplFk
AXklAF-Zx5w
bWS3rSHo-ro
aOwW5x2Ac6E
qfjbe4RKbwQ
HXLCOIcb41Y
w_sTTvyiiPo
0KsFtVcIol0

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/18 at 2:10 pm

Here's my favorite Ludacris songs
3ArhZPYplFk
AXklAF-Zx5w
bWS3rSHo-ro
aOwW5x2Ac6E
qfjbe4RKbwQ
HXLCOIcb41Y
w_sTTvyiiPo
0KsFtVcIol0
Here's another one
ISvMS6s41vY

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/18 at 2:16 pm

Speaking of Luda remember him being featured on this song
Qc4G6tOgOYI

Written By: bchris02 on 07/09/18 at 6:32 pm

I think what makes Ludacris exceptional is the length of the run he had, the consistency of that run, and the number and variety of collaborations he was featured in.  He was a very versatile rapper collaborating with everyone from Lil Jon and Usher to legends like Snoop Dogg to lesser known gangsta rappers like I-20 and Bone Crusher to teen pop artists like Jesse McCartney and Justin Bieber.  He managed to say relevant all the way through the electropop era.  I can't think of very many other names in hip-hop with that diverse of a discography.  That's not even counting his own albums.  Here is a list of the top collaborations Ludacris is featured in.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-songs-featuring-ludacris/ranker-music

Check for new replies or respond here...