inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you feel that this has been a fun decade?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/17/18 at 1:00 pm

By "fun" I mean... do you feel that the 2010's have been an exciting period of time to live through? Or do you feel that the culture/atmosphere of this decade has been relatively boring? 

Subject: Re: Do you feel that this has been a fun decade?

Written By: Wobo on 07/17/18 at 2:13 pm

I think this has been kind of a fun decade, everything just got boring  until now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/18 at 2:20 pm

Yes, especially you are still living and breathing.

Written By: Wobo on 07/17/18 at 2:28 pm

Yes, especially you are still living and breathing.

True.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/18 at 2:38 pm

By "fun" I mean... do you feel that the 2010's have been an exciting period of time to live through? Or do you feel that the culture/atmosphere of this decade has been relatively boring?

To me, The 2010's has been a bit bland.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/17/18 at 2:48 pm

*2010 was still basically like 2008-2009 to me.
*2011 is the cheesiest year of the decade so far. Even though a lot of people may disagree with me about this, I felt like it was the last year that felt more 2000's than 2010's.
*2012 was the start of this decade culturally and politically. Even though it still felt somewhat cheesy, indie folk ushered in with the Lumineers. This decade's teen pop gets a new style too. The Trayvon Martin incident and the rise of mass shootings provide clues to us about the fundamental issues that people may face in the future.
*2013 is the year where the 2010's finally start to push the 2000's to history. It is also the first core year of this decade. I found this year to be kind of weird, as I saw one era (Electropop age) get overtaken by another (core 2010's).
*2014 is the first year that felt clearly removed from the 2000's. This was the absolute start of the SJW and Alt-right movements. However, this was the last year with vague amounts of cheese to it.
*2015 was the peak of hipster culture. Political tensions started to rise a little more, especially after the Charleston shooting. 2015 may have also been the first year I got immersed in the world of politics.
*2016 is the likely the definitive year of this decade. The year politically, culturally, and fashion-wise screamed 2010's.
*2017 is when Trump was inaugurated. Even though this is true, it is very likely the last year of the core 2010's. The year was also pretty scary with Manchester, Portland, and Charlottesville. Additionally, the iPhone X brings us closer to the future from a technological perspective.
*2018 is likely the first new age year of the 2010's. Many shows integral to 2010's culture is going off air, tide pods become the first stereotype exclusive to Gen Z, hipster culture seems to be almost 100% gone, and the Parkland shooting along with its aftermath give Gen Z a voice in politics for the first time. Even though XXXTentacion's death impacted a lot of people, 2018 as of this point still kind of lacks music character.

This decade has been turbulent, not really fun. It's almost like me watching a movie from start to finish.

Written By: Wobo on 07/17/18 at 2:54 pm

*2011 is the cheesiest year of the decade so far. Even though a lot of people may disagree with me about this, I felt like it was the last year that felt more 2000's than 2010's.
*2012 was the start of this decade culturally and politically. Even though it still felt somewhat cheesy, indie folk ushered in with the Lumineers. This decade's teen pop gets a new style too. The Trayvon Martin incident and the rise of mass shootings provide clues to us about the fundamental issues that people may face in the future.
*2013 is the year where the 2010's finally start to push the 2000's to history. It is also the first core year of this decade. I found this year to be kind of weird, as I saw one era (Electropop age) get overtaken by another (core 2010's).
*2014 is the first year that felt clearly removed from the 2000's. This was the absolute start of the SJW and Alt-right movements. However, this was the last year with vague amounts of cheese to it.
*2015 was the peak of hipster culture. Political tensions started to rise a little more, especially after the Charleston shooting. 2015 may have also been the first year I got immersed in the world of politics.
*2016 is the likely the definitive year of this decade. The year politically, culturally, and fashion-wise screamed 2010's.
*2017 is when Trump was inaugurated. Even though this is true, it is very likely the last year of the core 2010's. The year was also pretty scary with Manchester, Portland, and Charlottesville. Additionally, the iPhone X brings us closer to the future from a technological perspective.
*2018 is likely the first new age year of the 2010's. Many shows integral to 2010's culture is going off air, tide pods become the first stereotype exclusive to Gen Z, hipster culture seems to be almost 100% gone, and the Parkland shooting along with its aftermath give Gen Z a voice in politics for the first time. Even though XXXTentacion's death impacted a lot of people, 2018 as of this point still kind of lacks music character.

This decade has been turbulent, not really fun. It's almost like me watching a movie from start to finish.

Every decade is like a movie.

Written By: Milk on 07/17/18 at 2:56 pm

It was super bland and boring just hurry up with the 2020s

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/17/18 at 2:58 pm

Yeah, I'll give it some credit. The early 2010s with 2015, 2016 and 2017 were fun for me.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/17/18 at 2:58 pm

Every decade is like a movie.

I know.

Written By: 2001 on 07/17/18 at 4:19 pm

It's been fun!!

aJwrP501Msw

errynight!

And as my mom always says, only boring people get bored ;)

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/17/18 at 5:27 pm

The first half was fun.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/18 at 6:02 pm

I agree with this almost completely.  However, I would definitely mention the SCOTUS decision legalizing same-sex marriage in 2015.  That was very integral to how we arrived at where we are today.  I think 2015 and 2016 are the definitive years of this decade.

Written By: John Titor on 07/17/18 at 6:24 pm

2012 boring
2013 ehhhhhh medium but boring
2014 potential
2015 boring

2016........ OK now things are exciting

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/17/18 at 6:39 pm

I agree with this almost completely.  However, I would definitely mention the SCOTUS decision legalizing same-sex marriage in 2015.  That was very integral to how we arrived at where we are today.  I think 2015 and 2016 are the definitive years of this decade.

Oh yeah; I forgot about that one.

However, if I had to choose between 2015 and 2016 as being more definitive to this decade, it would have to be 2016.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/17/18 at 7:32 pm

2013 was the first full year clearly removed from the 2000's. The first half of 2012 through the summer was the last bit of any 2000's influence left over. Other than that I agree with most of everything else on your chart.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/17/18 at 7:43 pm

2013 was the first full year clearly removed from the 2000's. The first half of 2012 through the summer was the last bit of any 2000's influence left over. Other than that I agree with most of everything else on your chart.

2013 still had that feeling of normalcy (no SJW, no Alt-right, no ISIS) and it was before 5SOS became popular in the US. Plus Musical.ly still didn't exist in 2013.

That's why I said 2014 instead of 2013.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/17/18 at 7:57 pm

I have to say it is a boring decade. Music, Fashion and movie wise.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/17/18 at 7:58 pm

I agree with this 100%.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/17/18 at 8:00 pm

2013 still had that feeling of normalcy (no SJW, no Alt-right, no ISIS) and it was before 5SOS became popular in the US. Plus Musical.ly still didn't exist in 2013.

That's why I said 2014 instead of 2013.

This is mid to late 2010's politics (except for ISIS that's just mid) and not pop culture. Early 2010's politics is basically Obama's first term (2009-2012) and 2010's pop culture was transitioning between 2009 and 2012 A.K.A. the electropop era and has been fully established since 2013. Just because there's wasn't much SJW, alt-right, or ISIS in 2012 and 2013 doesn't mean there were still 2000's influences. 2000's influences regarding the pop culture had been gone by then. When it comes to movies, the 2010's have been established since 2012. 2011 was the last time there were 2000's influences when it came to movies. When it comes to music once again it was just the electropop era from 2009-2012 which was the transition. Since late 2012/2013 it's been full blown 2010's culture music. Hipster culture had already been established before 2013 too.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/18/18 at 11:20 am

If 2013 is the first year of the 2010s, then that must mean I'm still not as fond of this decade as I thought. 2010 - 2013 are my favorite years.

Overall, the decade has been a bit of a headache. The 2000s had it's political downfalls but this decade seems even more chaotic. In the 2000s, you had mass hysteria of ongoing wars and possibly another attack on the homeland and other worries. However, in this decade, you had to worry about attacks on the homeland from your own people (whether it be isis-induced terrorist or just deranged citizens) AND possibly terrorists overseas. And at one point, these attacks were being reported every week. Made it frightening to even go out to big events sometimes. Take all of that and combine it with the fact that we're still (technically) continuing a war from the 2000s with troops still being deployed in Afghanistan for most of this decade. It's a headache.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/18/18 at 11:42 am

IMO 2011-2015 were easily the most fun years of the 2010's, especially in 2015, which had the Whip nae nae, Hit the Quan, Milly Rock, also still a year when Vine was very popular, and the absolute peak of hipster and 2010's culture. People were still using Skype and Kik to talk to each other. 2015 was the time to be in middle school.  ;D

Written By: Wobo on 07/18/18 at 11:51 am

IMO 2011-2015 were easily the most fun years of the 2010's, especially in 2015, which had the Whip nae nae, Hit the Quan, Milly Rock, also still a year when Vine was very popular, and the absolute peak of hipster and 2010's culture. People were still using Skype and Kik to talk to each other. 2015 was the time to be in middle school.  ;D

I started middle school in late 2015, wasn't really fun for me.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/18/18 at 1:13 pm

Weird and unstable is the best way to describe this decade for me. But yeah there were some fun times.

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/18 at 1:19 pm

This decade had Pokémon X/Y, Pokémon Twitch, Pokémon GO and Pokémon Sun/Moon. Your faves could never.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/18 at 2:46 pm

I have to say it is a boring decade. Music, Fashion and movie wise.

Didn't you find anything exciting? ???

Written By: exodus08 on 07/18/18 at 2:53 pm

Didn't you find anything exciting? ???

I had more relatives pass away this decade then the previous decade. It's rare for me to find Music that I actully like now and my wardrobe has been the same for 11 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/18 at 2:55 pm

I had more relatives pass away this decade then the previous decade. It's rare for me to find Music that I actully like now and my wardrobe has been the same for 11 years.
Have you tried different forms of music, like classical, jazz, country?

Written By: Howard on 07/18/18 at 3:29 pm

The only relative of mine that passed away was My Grandma, she was 100. :(

Written By: exodus08 on 07/18/18 at 3:30 pm

Have you tried different forms of music, like classical, jazz, country?

I've tried to get into music of different genres but nothing :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/18 at 3:45 pm

I've tried to get into music of different genres but nothing :(
Can you play a musical instrument?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/18/18 at 3:47 pm

I've tried to get into the music of different genres but nothing :(
Even Alt-R&B and Indie Rock? Those genres are still going strong today and, they have been somewhat mainstream for the past several years.

Check for new replies or respond here...