inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010 v. 2018 YouTube Censorship

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/21/18 at 3:47 pm

In 2018, Childish Gambino dropped the video for "This is America" which included explicit/violent content. Although the video was heavily talked about, it was not deemed controversial enough to have it removed from YouTube. The video featured Black Americans being murdered with an assault rifle.

In 2010, music legend M.I.A. dropped a similar video that also explored discrimination and included violent content. In this video, a group of red haired boys with freckles (used to symbolize trivial features that are often used to justify war such as race) are shown running away from the armed soldiers while being shot at with military weapons. At the end of the video, a young man is hit by a bomb and blown to pieces. You can see his blood and limbs flying in the air as this happens.

This video was temporarily removed and banned from YouTube (in the U.S. & UK at least) for what we assume to be violent content.

It's interesting because this video was banned in a time before people began complaining about outrage culture.  Also, this was dropped at a time when the U.S. was still at war in Iraq and many of those opposed to the video claimed it depicted the U.S. as terrorists.

Which one do you think was more explicit and why? They both take shots at America but only one was banned. As a matter of fact YT won't even let me share the M.I.A. video so I can't post it here. You'll have to look it up yourself if you haven't seen it already.

Subject: Re: 2010 v. 2018 YouTube Censorship

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/18 at 5:19 pm

Is YouTube still allowing people to post video clips of people lighting their farts on fire? ???

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/21/18 at 5:21 pm

Is YouTube still allowing people to post video clips of people lighting their farts on fire? ???

Youtube allows videos way worse than that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/18 at 5:29 pm

I imagine that decorum, in addition to the InThe00s terms of service, preclude any further description of such videos.  8-P

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/21/18 at 5:45 pm

I imagine that decorum, in addition to the InThe00s terms of service, preclude any further description of such videos.  8-P

Aww man. :\'(  But they are some of Youtube's finest videos!

Written By: Wobo on 07/21/18 at 6:04 pm

People say Youtube has became more SJW over the years hence why the This is America video hasn't been taking down since it mostlt explores about being a black man in america.

Written By: xenzue on 07/22/18 at 12:34 am

People say Youtube has became more SJW over the years hence why the This is America video hasn't been taking down since it mostlt explores about being a black man in america.

I don't think this is exactly the case as lots of videos on racial, gender, LGBT topics have been demonetized.

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 12:41 am

I don't think this is exactly the case as lots of videos on racial, gender, LGBT topics have been demonetized.

Yeah but most videos targeting white people really don't get demonitized or taken down.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:13 pm

just as long as people abide by the rules.

Written By: ofkx on 07/22/18 at 4:37 pm

M.I.A's and Childish Gambino's videos are incomparable. M.I.A's video was full of graphic violence and nudity, while CG's video was mostly them dancing with people behind them running around with weapons, and although it had some violence it was symbolic. It was also much popular than M.I.A's video which made it hard to take down.
Btw although they don't actually take down videos a lot now, the demonetize them over the stupidest reasons like saying f*ck.

Check for new replies or respond here...