inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All smartphones are the same size?!

Written By: christopher on 07/25/18 at 5:19 am

Long ago, in 2013-2014 flagman devices like Galaxy S3 and S4 were already quite big. However, one still had a choice of smaller phones on the mid- and lower ends (Lumia 520 and the even smaller Galaxy Young and Star). Now when you go into a smartphone store all phones look the same and are roughly the same sizes, from low to high priced ones. I miss the variety of shapes and sizes. Also most high-end phones now look more or less just like low-end ones (save for the Edge series of Samsung). 😐

Subject: Re: All smartphones are the same size?!

Written By: 2001 on 07/25/18 at 1:27 pm

How small are you looking for?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/25/18 at 2:24 pm

Not only that, but there was also a variety of companies that are no longer popular such as Huawei, Motorola, LG (the only phone series that's going for them is the G-phones), Blackberry, Tracfone, Droid, Sony Experia, Windows and even Google Pixel. These days, it's either Samsung or Apple.

Written By: wixness on 07/25/18 at 7:07 pm

I guess people really hated anything smaller than 5 inch screens. There's a reason that tablets are not selling as well at this half of the decade.

Written By: 2001 on 07/25/18 at 7:12 pm

I guess people really hated anything smaller than 5 inch screens. There's a reason that tablets are not selling as well at this half of the decade.

Bezels are smaller so screen sizes can be a lot bigger now. My 6.3-inch Samsung Galaxy S9+ actually takes up less space than my 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 4 from 2014 :o

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/18 at 8:20 pm

Not only that, but there was also a variety of companies that are no longer popular such as Huawei, Motorola, LG (the only phone series that's going for them is the G-phones), Blackberry, Tracfone, Droid, Sony Experia, Windows and even Google Pixel. These days, it's either Samsung or Apple.

All of those companies are still popular... (except Blackberry and Tracfone, and Windows) Heck they weren't even that big before now. Motorola, Huawei, LG, and especially Google (Pixel) are huge in the phone market right now... All of these companies take up a huge chunk of the market and are producing big phones. The latest Pixel is one of the most popular android phones in the world. Pixel is also a brand new line, only came to existence 3 years ago, before Google was using the Nexus line. Pixel is the prefered Android phone for a smooth experience as it uses stock android, insanely popular these days. If anything, companies besides Apple and Samsung are actually even more popular today because good phones are getting much more cheaper (mid-range and budget phones are getting good as well). Samsung and Apple only hold a chunk of the premium market. Those companies you listed are still very popular... Especially LG, Moto and Pixel for premium phones as they are big now and are putting a lot of new phones out (Huawei is popular for more budget and mid-range phones). Don't forget about OnePlus, another big popular phone company right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/18 at 8:24 pm

I like that the bezels are smaller, but phones are still boring. I am looking forward to phones actually looking different with a new futuristic form factor, preferably flexible displays. I've been waiting so long for these but they are taking so long to be mainstream. I know it will happen soon, it just takes some time but probably in the '20s it will be the new form factor unless something else replaces smartphones altogether.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/25/18 at 11:58 pm

I like that the bezels are smaller, but phones are still boring. I am looking forward to phones actually looking different with a new futuristic form factor, preferably flexible displays. I've been waiting so long for these but they are taking so long to be mainstream. I know it will happen soon, it just takes some time but probably in the '20s it will be the new form factor unless something else replaces smartphones altogether.

Yeah. If companies don’t make cellphones with different designs, I think I will have my current one for another 5 years

Check for new replies or respond here...