inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Facebook loses $100 billion in market value after disappointing growth figures

Written By: 2001 on 07/26/18 at 12:06 pm

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-shares-plunge-after-warning-of-slowing-growth/

Facebook shares nosedived Thursday morning, chopping more than $100 billion from the company's market value, a day after a similar selloff caused by its earnings report that suggested growth at the social network was slowing.

Shares in Facebook, long one of the steadiest tech investments, collapsed by almost 20% in morning trading to $175 a share. The drop, which followed a nearly 25% freefall on Wednesday evening, is among the largest ever single-day drops in market capitalization, the value of all of Facebook's shares added together.

Behind the plunge: Concerns that Facebook users weren't flocking to the social network in the numbers they had previously. In the US and Canada, the company's core market, the monthly user figure stood flat at 241 million. In Europe, another important market, user figures fell. Growth in both daily and monthly average users, measures of how often members visit Facebook, also missed analyst estimates.

I would say now's the time to buy Facebook stock, but with new regulations and further fines sure to spur up after the Cambridge Analytica data theft scandal, even I'm not 100% certain.  ??? (only 95% certain)

Subject: Re: Facebook loses $100 billion in market value after disappointing growth figures

Written By: John Titor on 07/26/18 at 1:54 pm

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-shares-plunge-after-warning-of-slowing-growth/

I would say now's the time to buy Facebook stock, but with new regulations and further fines sure to spur up after the Cambridge Analytica data theft scandal, even I'm not 100% certain.  ??? (only 95% certain)

Facebook is over

Subject: Re: Facebook loses $100 billion in market value after disappointing growth figures

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/26/18 at 3:49 pm

Facebook is over

And about damn time too.

Written By: 2001 on 07/26/18 at 3:59 pm

And about damn time too.

I know I just recommended people buy Facebook stocks (not real financial advice before anyone lawyers up  :-X), but I really hope these big tech companies face stiffer competition or get trust busted. This might be a topic for another thread, but the Internet has become too centralized IMO and it's defeating the original purpose of the Internet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/18 at 5:00 pm

Beware of the "dead cat bounce" and refrain from grabbing a falling knife.  :o

Written By: ofkx on 07/28/18 at 3:40 am

probably because of all the scandals. the number of users is still increasing though, but slowing down.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/18 at 1:17 am

Facebook is not going anywhere anytime soon. They still have a strong foundation in the social media market. They own so many apps and other smaller social media apps where you actually need a Facebook account to join. They are almost monopolizing the market along with Twitter and Google. Too many people use it. It just isn't seeing the same fate as MySpace, at least not now. I used to think Facebook would be dead already but it's still around and thriving more or less. Stifling growth doesn't mean the millions of current users on it are deleting their accounts and not going on it. I do wish it died off though.

Written By: xenzue on 07/29/18 at 1:56 am

Facebook is even starting to lose steam in developing countries, and Gen Z has almost universally abandoned it. With that being said, Facebook is way too big to fall like Myspace did. My guess is that Facebook and other stagnating giants will become what Yahoo! was in the mid/late 00s: ubiquitous in some demographics, increasingly abandoned with others. The truth is, the future of internet marketing/networking is not Facebook. It was in 2006, but now we're entering the 3rd decade of the 21st century.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/18 at 2:16 am

Facebook is even starting to lose steam in developing countries, and Gen Z has almost universally abandoned it. With that being said, Facebook is way too big to fall like Myspace did. My guess is that Facebook and other stagnating giants will become what Yahoo! was in the mid/late 00s: ubiquitous in some demographics, increasingly abandoned with others. The truth is, the future of internet marketing/networking is not Facebook. It was in 2006, but now we're entering the 3rd decade of the 21st century.

Yeah it could go the way of Yahoo but remember Facebook owns Oculus, and VR will only get bigger. Whether they will be successful with it or not is yet to be seen but Oculus is the biggest VR platform out there right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...