inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC announces TGIF block is back

Written By: John Titor on 07/26/18 at 4:52 pm

https://abc.go.com/shows/fresh-off-the-boat/news/updates/fresh-off-the-boat-returns-new-night-tgif

Subject: Re: ABC announces TGIF block is back

Written By: John Titor on 07/30/18 at 12:25 pm

How is this getting 0 replies

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/18 at 2:18 pm

How is this getting 0 replies

Because this is in a 2010's board and hardly any of us remembers this. According to my research this block lasted from 1989 to 2000 so wouldn't anyone care? Certainly not me. It also doesn't help that you didn't tell us what "TGIF" stands for. I'm going to assume it means "Thank God It's Friday" but maybe I'm wrong.

Written By: nally on 07/30/18 at 2:25 pm

Because this is in a 2010's board and hardly any of us remembers this. According to my research this block lasted from 1989 to 2000 so wouldn't anyone care? Certainly not me. It also doesn't help that you didn't tell us what "TGIF" stands for. I'm going to assume it means "Thank God It's Friday" but maybe I'm wrong.

Well, I for one certainly remember it. It was successful for most of its run during the aforementioned years. And yes, the acronym "TGIF" does traditionally stand for "Thank God It's Friday", but in this case it also stood for "Thank Goodness It's Funny" (as stated by the ABC network, since all programs featured were sitcoms).

And yes, there've been attempts to reboot/revive the block, but not many viewers seemed to show interest in it.

Written By: John Titor on 07/31/18 at 12:05 pm

Frightening

Written By: John Titor on 07/31/18 at 12:06 pm

Well, I for one certainly remember it. It was successful for most of its run during the aforementioned years. And yes, the acronym "TGIF" does traditionally stand for "Thank God It's Friday", but in this case it also stood for "Thank Goodness It's Funny" (as stated by the ABC network, since all programs featured were sitcoms).

And yes, there've been attempts to reboot/revive the block, but not many viewers seemed to show interest in it.

AND @MG96 TGIF was a pop culture institution in the 90s' if it was not for TGIF we would not have

Full House
Boy Meets World
Family Matters!
sabrina!

S

Written By: nally on 07/31/18 at 7:06 pm

AND @MG96 TGIF was a pop culture institution in the 90s' if it was not for TGIF we would not have

Full House
Boy Meets World
Family Matters!
sabrina!

S

True that... they were among the programs that were popular within the TGIF block. O0 Although "Full House" was taken out of the block in 1991 to make way for new show "Step By Step." I also was an avid watcher of Family Matters and Step By Step during the 1991-92 season. (Also, in early '95, I even went to the WB Studios to see a filming of one Step By Stepisode.)

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/31/18 at 8:06 pm

TGIF was a big thing when I was a kid/pre-teen. The media is trying really hard to resurrect the magic of old media by bringing by the 90s but it ain't gonna happen. The 90s was the last age (as far as we know) where everyone was more or less on the same wavelength. Those days seem to be over.

Written By: Dundee on 08/01/18 at 10:03 am

This reminds me of this iconic early '10s hit:

KlyXNRrsk4A

Written By: captaincharisma on 08/01/18 at 10:38 am

TGIF was a big thing when I was a kid/pre-teen. The media is trying really hard to resurrect the magic of old media by bringing by the 90s but it ain't gonna happen. The 90s was the last age (as far as we know) where everyone was more or less on the same wavelength. Those days seem to be over.
100% true dont those guys trying to resserect tgif know it's too late for that like  you could literally have your own tgif with hulu because everything on from the 90s tgif is on there!!And like you said bornin86 the same page esque cuture is pretty much dead since like the late 00s I m suprised they cant tell that already!!

Check for new replies or respond here...