inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Twitter shares slump after decline in userbase

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/18 at 12:25 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/twitter-earnings-user-growth-1.4764149

After Facebook, it's now Twitter. Albeit most the decline was in the suspension of bots, it seems no real humans joined in to compensate.

Twitter shares hammered, as bad week in social media business gets worse

Push for quality cuts into number of subscribers, chilling investors even as profit beats expectations

Cracking down on hate, abuse and online trolls is also hurting Twitter's standing with investors.

The company's stock dropped more than 18 per cent to $35.03 US on the New York Stock Exchange Friday morning after it reported a decline in its monthly users and warned that the number could fall further in the coming months.

The slide in share value came one day after Facebook lost 19 per cent of its value — its worst trading day since Facebook went public in 2012.

Twitter, like other social media platforms, says it's putting the "health" of its platform over user growth. That is apparently leaving investors hard pressed to decide what the biggest companies in the sector, which rely on user reach, are worth.

Twitter had 335 million monthly users in the second quarter, below the 339 million Wall Street was expecting, and down slightly from 336 million in the first quarter. That overshadowed strong monthly user growth of three per cent for the second quarter over the same period of the previous year.

The company warned its monthly user number could continue to fall in the "mid-single-digit millions" in the third quarter.

Subject: Re: Twitter shares slump after decline in userbase

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/27/18 at 12:47 pm

Good because Facebook and Twitter are fking cancer. Twitter takes the crown for most obnoxious users, however.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/27/18 at 1:05 pm

Twitter is amazing lmao idk what y'all talking about.  ;D ;D ;D

Twitter memes are one of the best.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/18 at 1:09 pm

Let's hope that InThe00s does not succumb to this trend.  :-\\

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/18 at 1:09 pm

Twitter is amazing lmao idk what y'all talking about.  ;D ;D ;D

Twitter memes are one of the best.

I love Twitter but I avoid politics and trash people. ;D

I just follow tech nerds and language learners/bloggers.  :-X

The main reason Twitter is bad is because of politics and the bots that spam about it.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/27/18 at 1:12 pm

I love Twitter but I avoid politics and trash people. ;D

I just follow tech nerds and language learners/bloggers.  :-X

The main reason Twitter is bad is because of politics and the bots that spam about it.

Yeah, politics and spam are definitely bad on Twitter but you got to admit the memes on Twitter are high quality.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/18 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, politics and spam are definitely bad on Twitter but you got to admit the memes on Twitter are high quality.  ;D

That is true ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/27/18 at 1:28 pm

Good because Facebook and Twitter are fking cancer. Twitter takes the crown for most obnoxious users, however.

Nah fam. Facebook definitely has the most obnoxious users.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/18 at 2:25 pm

I hope not.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/18 at 2:26 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/twitter-earnings-user-growth-1.4764149

After Facebook, it's now Twitter. Albeit most the decline was in the suspension of bots, it seems no real humans joined in to compensate.

Twitter, all they do is argue back and forth.  ::)

Written By: nally on 07/27/18 at 2:31 pm

All the more reason I never go there.

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/18 at 2:33 pm

Depends who you follow.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/27/18 at 2:37 pm

This could be the great cultural shift people around here talk about so much -- the decline of two social media giants immediately following a presidential election.  :D

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/18 at 2:44 pm

This could be the great cultural shift people around here talk about so much -- the decline of two social media giants immediately following a presidential election.  :D

People here talk about Kylie Jenner's lips or what Spotify playlist a Starbucks in LA was playing on Wednesday afternoon and how it's a huge cultural shift, but I've been following the tech stories of the year and there was really nothing as big an earthquake like the Cambridge Analytica scandal. While most people and politicians preferred a hands-off approach to the Internet, it seems 2018 is the beginning of the end for this Wild West era of the Internet.  :o

Written By: captaincharisma on 07/27/18 at 3:36 pm

Twitter isnt fun anymore but facebook just straight up Sucks!!

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/18 at 10:51 pm

A year and a half ago I thought that this site was on life support and it would go down that road. But a brand new generation of users came in swarms to this site last year. And it's been popping pretty much ever since (though still not as busy as it was before 2014, last time I've seen this forum super active was in early 2013 when I first joined)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/18 at 10:54 pm

Twitter and Facebook ain't going anywhere anytime soon. There is not really an alternative out there to replace them yet.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/18 at 11:08 pm

Nope. Just fake news trying to find something to make it seem like the quintessential social media site of this decade is declining anytime soon.

Written By: meesa on 07/27/18 at 11:33 pm

I don't think i would cry if Twatter or Fakebook disappeared, to be honest.

Neither one prompt interesting debate. Neither one are particularly friendly for discussions. 

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/28/18 at 12:55 am

I don't think i would cry if Twatter or Fakebook disappeared, to be honest.

Neither one prompt interesting debate. Neither one are particularly friendly for discussions.

Maybe you just don't know the right people.  ;)

Written By: ofkx on 07/28/18 at 3:35 am

f*ck facebook, and i'm still hoping it'll die one day. but i hope twitter never dies cause it's our only source of memes right now 😩

Written By: ofkx on 07/28/18 at 3:47 am

People here talk about Kylie Jenner's lips or what Spotify playlist a Starbucks in LA was playing on Wednesday afternoon and how it's a huge cultural shift, but I've been following the tech stories of the year and there was really nothing as big an earthquake like the Cambridge Analytica scandal. While most people and politicians preferred a hands-off approach to the Internet, it seems 2018 is the beginning of the end for this Wild West era of the Internet.  :o

good thing i took a break from inthe00s for a while cause i realized how RIDICULOUS i was being lol.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/28/18 at 4:33 am

A year and a half ago I thought that this site was on life support and it would go down that road. But a brand new generation of users came in swarms to this site last year. And it's been popping pretty much ever since (though still not as busy as it was before 2014, last time I've seen this forum super active was in early 2013 when I first joined)

You know, I know a lot of people have been declaring the death of forums ever since social media and Reddit showed up, but I think this backlash against both might revive forum activity in general to some extent. I think people are getting sick of the diluted nature of discussion on Reddit, in particular.

Written By: Balty Raven on 07/28/18 at 10:46 am

I'm not surprised. Some people feel uncomfortable over the fact that a lot of things on Twitter tend to get way too political, which seems unsatisfying for anyone who doesn't precisely care about what's going on in the Trump Administration.  8-P

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/18 at 11:04 am

I'm not surprised. Some people feel uncomfortable over the fact that a lot of things on Twitter tend to get way too political, which seems unsatisfying for anyone who doesn't precisely care about what's going on in the Trump Administration.  8-P

You don't even have to be ultra-political to get bots up your ass. I was reading the book The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. I updated my reading progress on Goodreads (a website about books), which was linked to my Twitter, and so I automatically tweeted "I'm 24% finished reading The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang" and not a minute later my phone blew up with Japanese nationalist bots sending me memes about how amazing Japan was to its colonial subjects in WW2 and how the whole genocide was fabricated :o

Written By: Balty Raven on 07/28/18 at 12:35 pm

You don't even have to be ultra-political to get bots up your ass. I was reading the book The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. I updated my reading progress on Goodreads (a website about books), which was linked to my Twitter, and so I automatically tweeted "I'm 24% finished reading The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang" and not a minute later my phone blew up with Japanese nationalist bots sending me memes about how amazing Japan was to its colonial subjects in WW2 and how the whole genocide was fabricated :o

I don't really use Twitter that much and I'm not really surprised that it would allow something like this. Twitter has a lot of people who are opinionated towards everything (although social media is mainly opinionated, Twitter takes the cake because of how opinions are basically everywhere). The only good thing about it is that you could mute them, along with the words that relate towards their tweets. It's what I do whenever I see fascist propaganda on the site.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/18 at 2:57 pm

Depends who you follow.

I don't care to follow anyone except myself. ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/28/18 at 2:59 pm

What does one get out of Twitter anyway? ::)

Written By: nally on 07/28/18 at 10:13 pm

I don't care to follow anyone except myself. ;)
I don't go on there PERIOD. Just not interested, that's all.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/28/18 at 10:26 pm

Like I said before, Twitter isn't going away ANYTIME SOON. It's the quintessential social media site of this decade point blank. All major celebrities such as professional athletes, world news reporters/analysts, actors/actresses, music artists, and even people of the U.S. Congress and White House (including the POTUS himself) mostly have Twitter accounts. When there's major breaking news going on that impacts our world or pop culture, people immediately go to Twitter first to see what's trending. This has been ongoing throughout the entire 2010's and it will probably continue into the early 2020's. I don't see any major social media platform that will take Twitter's place anytime soon, especially with TV dying out and everything becoming more digital now where we stream on any device we want everywhere we go. Facebook on the other hand has been on huge decline for awhile now, and even that site isn't anywhere near MySpace dead yet. I could see Facebook dying well before Twitter ever does. Instagram and Snapchat are more likely to go away in place of something else before Twitter as well.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/29/18 at 12:40 am

I was thinking the other day....I remember when Twitter was first beginning to have a significant impact on the culture. It was when news outlets began using Twitter as a valid source of information. I remember being taken a back by the thought of allowing twitter to be featured of the news and giving it that much validity. I thought it was stupid. Fast forward and now Twitter really is a great source for live updates and news from verified accounts.

Also, now that mgq96 mentioned it; although I grew up without social media platforms like Twitter, I think I've taken the ability to be more intimate with celebrities for granted. We now live in a time where fans can directly interact with their favorite celebrities everyday unlike previous decades. 

I still think that Twitter is 95% cancer and that it actually has helped damage the images of some celebrities because they tweet dumb things but whatever.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/29/18 at 6:52 am

Like I said before, Twitter isn't going away ANYTIME SOON. It's the quintessential social media site of this decade point blank. All major celebrities such as professional athletes, world news reporters/analysts, actors/actresses, music artists, and even people of the U.S. Congress and White House (including the POTUS himself) mostly have Twitter accounts. When there's major breaking news going on that impacts our world or pop culture, people immediately go to Twitter first to see what's trending. This has been ongoing throughout the entire 2010's and it will probably continue into the early 2020's. I don't see any major social media platform that will take Twitter's place anytime soon, especially with TV dying out and everything becoming more digital now where we stream on any device we want everywhere we go. Facebook on the other hand has been on huge decline for awhile now, and even that site isn't anywhere near MySpace dead yet. I could see Facebook dying well before Twitter ever does. Instagram and Snapchat are more likely to go away in place of something else before Twitter as well.

No, it's nowhere near Myspace dead yet, but the writing is on the wall. In the next few years, either Facebook or Twitter is gone.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/29/18 at 8:33 am

No, it's nowhere near Myspace dead yet, but the writing is on the wall. In the next few years, either Facebook or Twitter is gone.

Facebook will be dead long before Twitter because it's always been on decline. Instagram is just about photos & stories while Snapchat is just sharing with your friends what you're doing live, which are going to be replaceable in the near future. Twitter is probably going to keep updating itself like YouTube has over the years while still having the same format. I've already explained more than enough in my previous post. Still want to deny the truth, go ahead.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/29/18 at 8:43 am

Slowpoke, I believe you did mention this but just in case most people don't already know, Twitter just did a major purge recently and got rid of all of bots, fake, and inactive users, so many Twitter users lost tons of followers in the process. Major celebrities lost a few million followers in the process, so it's no surprise Twitter would slump because of this. Other than that Twitter is still thriving very strong. It's no surprise Instagram and Snapchat might have the most users for the younger crowd (like myself), but for overall demographics Twitter has a different purpose though, and for its purpose it's going to sustain itself for a good amount of time.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/29/18 at 10:06 am

Interesting video I stumbled upon yesterday:

-gNSitO9qm0&frags=pl%2Cwn

One of my major complaints of Twitter is that the site is known to ban (or in this case, 'shadow ban') users whom encompass or expose certain aspects of speech that the Silicon elites deem 'offensive'. The site should be regulated like a private utility, which would allow people of all perspectives to express their views in a civic manner. By banning people you just set up a dangerous precedent to allow people whom represent the oppositional speech (in your view) to virtue signal and claim massive bias, in which they wouldn't be necessarily wrong. By principle, I believe in civic discourse, and ironically allowing people to spew whatever the hell they want allows the public to gauge many people's views, for better or worst.

Imagine if Roseanne was banned from Twitter months prior to her infamous tweet comparing Valerie Jarret to an ape? We'd never have known that Roseanne harbors racist beliefs and she'd essentially get scotch free from public criticism, she'd likely still be the star of her own show because of that. I hate when people just randomly spew bullsh!t on Twitter, but I think it does help give me and others perspective on people's beliefs.

Overall, Censorship is a slipper slope, and the fact that Twitter is leading the charge of sorts on this effort is IMHO just as scary as the POTUS calling mainstream networks 'fake news'. Overall we live in very dangerous times pertaining to free speech.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/29/18 at 10:09 am

Facebook would likely be gone. Hell, I don't even think teens use FB anymore. Surprisingly a lot of people my age still use it, but mainly for keeping up with old high school friends and to post literal fake news articles that confirm their political biases. Its always interesting logging into FB from time to time seeing how many of the people I grew up with get duped by bots & trolls ;D...

Written By: mqg96 on 07/29/18 at 10:42 am

One of my major complaints of Twitter is that the site is known to ban (or in this case, 'shadow ban') users whom encompass or expose certain aspects of speech that the Silicon elites deem 'offensive'. The site should be regulated like a private utility, which would allow people of all perspectives to express their views in a civic manner. By banning people you just set up a dangerous precedent to allow people whom represent the oppositional speech (in your view) to virtue signal and claim massive bias, in which they wouldn't be necessarily wrong. By principle, I believe in civic discourse, and ironically allowing people to spew whatever the hell they want allows the public to gauge many people's views, for better or worst.

Imagine if Roseanne was banned from Twitter months prior to her infamous tweet comparing Valerie Jarret to an ape? We'd never have known that Roseanne harbors racist beliefs and she'd essentially get scotch free from public criticism, she'd likely still be the star of her own show because of that. I hate when people just randomly spew bullsh!t on Twitter, but I think it does help give me and others perspective on people's beliefs.

Overall, Censorship is a slipper slope, and the fact that Twitter is leading the charge of sorts on this effort is IMHO just as scary as the POTUS calling mainstream networks 'fake news'. Overall we live in very dangerous times pertaining to free speech.

Shadow banning!? I'm actually not surprised by this. We live in a society where you can no longer have an opinion without offending anybody. You have more conservative YouTubers, or YouTubers with unpopular opinions who get videos taken down or have to get rid of their ad's (which causes them to not make money anymore) because their opinions or beliefs are too offensive to the mainstream. However, like you said, even if they say some insane crazy stuff sometimes it does give me other perspectives on people's beliefs. This applies to many news stations too, people who get on interviews have to stay as politically correct as possible. But yeah, Twitter is used to discuss so many topics trending, including heated political debates as well, which is another reason why the site isn't going away anytime soon, but now Twitter has these robots that are smart enough to just have your tweet ignored to the public. I find this interesting but scary at the same time, and yes, this is extremely dangerous when it comes to free speech. In fact, this could become even more dangerous in the near future if there's an important tweet that comes from somebody that saves everyone's lives.  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/29/18 at 2:17 pm

I don't go on there PERIOD. Just not interested, that's all.

Me neither, Why would I want to follow celebrities? Wouldn't that be the same thing as stalking? ???

Written By: Wobo on 08/09/18 at 8:58 pm

I use twitter all the time

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/09/18 at 9:19 pm

Censorship is not a slippery slope. Censorship is a reality we've lived through ever since we learned not to talk back to our parents.

The Rosanne Example: the answer? she'd keep her stupid bullcrap to herself instead of inspiring division within the country.

People have been getting banned from internet platforms since they began. If you're so angry about twitter banning you, go make your own platform. It's the American way.

I really hate this argument. It is some weird twisted libertarian logic used to support government intrusion on private entities.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 7:28 am

I use twitter all the time

Who do you tweet? ???

Written By: Wobo on 08/10/18 at 3:30 pm

Who do you tweet? ???

I tweet drawings and retweet funny stuff and memes.

Check for new replies or respond here...