inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why "Generations" are Stupid (Video)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/27/18 at 6:07 pm

Ca4xBrmWUJc

Your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Why "Generations" are Stupid (Video)

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/18 at 6:24 pm

Don't need a video to tell me. I gave up on generations long ago (...a year) and I arrived at that conclusion independently :P

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/18 at 6:34 pm

Well said. This is why I quit generational discussions and debates because it's arbitrary and the stereotyping by others outside of your generation is always going to be negative no matter what you believe in or what others' opinions are. I used to think millennial/Gen Y was the coolest generation because I was trying to keep myself far away from Gen Z as possible, but after having certain experiences the last few years and hearing about the "dumb millennial" stereotypes the older generations give us, I realized that all generations have its strengths and weaknesses. I haven't been that ashamed of Gen Z (especially the first wave of us) as I used to. TBH late millennials and early Gen Z having more in common as teenagers and young adults growing up than the core parts of our generations but people fail to recognize this because it always has to be about heavily stereotyping so much. Everybody in high school this past school year really accepted the fact that they were Gen Z especially after the Florida shootings, and I'm rooting hard for Gen Z to step it up as the next great icons in the career work industry and business. None of us could control what time period God put us in before we were born.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/18 at 3:13 pm

I agree, each generation is different, and we all grew up on different things during the times.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/28/18 at 5:36 pm

It has been quite a while since I discussed generations on here. And even back when I was still more active I hated the discussions since I just found them kinda stupid.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/29/18 at 1:51 am

I think the idea of generations has value but that strict cutoff points are silly. A generation doesn't change overnight. That said, there are differences in the social experiences, points of view, music listening habits and such that are separated by relative age group. A generation is a useful generalization. You can't tell me there aren't certain shared historical events and ways of thinking that generally speaking define Baby Boomers for example. There's certain mentalities and modes of thought that different generations differ in.

Written By: xenzue on 07/29/18 at 3:06 am

I think generations are very real pop culturally and marketing wise, but the cutoffs aren't rigid, they're more of a blur. Just think about it, the following statements aren't 100% true, but you can still capture a large percentage of the demographic:

- Gen X watched MTV, bought music through CDs and compact cassettes, and remember the Challenger disaster.
- Millennials were on Myspace, bought (or pirated lol) music on iTunes, and remember 9/11.
- Gen Z watch Youtube/Netflix, stream music on Spotify/Apple Music/Soundcloud, and remember the inauguration of Donald Trump.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/29/18 at 3:10 am

The best way to categorize generations is by having macro generations (IE Baby Boomers) and micro/transitional generations to bridge the overlaps (like Generation Jones)

Check for new replies or respond here...