inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What would you say are the origins of hipster culture?

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/28/18 at 4:32 am

I am planning on writing an article of sorts on hipster culture some time soon, which I will of course share with all of you. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I would be interested to gain some insights - particularly from people who did or do identify as hipsters - where you think it all came from. Was it a cultural reaction to something, like emo from the 2000s or the Great Recession? Were the seeds of it sown in the previous decade and is evidence of its eventual birth evident, or did it spring from the ether? What do you think inspired its particular aesthetics and ethos?

I'm excited to hear your thoughts!

Subject: Re: What would you say are the origins of hipster culture?

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/18 at 4:58 am

I am planning on writing an article of sorts of hipster culture some time soon, which I will of course share with all of you. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I would be interested to gain some insights - particularly from people who did or do identify as hipsters - where you think it all came from. Was it a cultural reaction to something, like emo from the 2000s or the Great Recession? Were the seeds of it sown in the previous decade and is evidence of its eventual birth evident, or did it spring from the ether? What do you think inspired its particular aesthetics and ethos?

Good luck ;D No one decides to become a hipster, that defeats the point :P

Hipsters were a thing for a long, long time. It's probably worth looking back into the late '90s or thereabouts to find their origins rather than late 2000s (when they got popular, rather than got started).

Written By: ofkx on 07/28/18 at 5:16 am

good luck on your article!
i was i heavily into the hipster aesthetic when i was 12-14 in 2014-2016 and used to dress in hipster fashion and listened to indie music all the time (still listen to it), so i think you could consider me an hipster :P,
i think the emos of the mid-late 2000s turned into the hipsters of the 2010s. most of the popular emo bands from the 2000s now make indie music and dress in hipster fashion too.
Wikipedia says that modern hipster culture started in the 1990s and became prominent in the late 2000s and early 2010s which i think is pretty accurate.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/28/18 at 5:36 am

Good luck ;D No one decides to become a hipster, that defeats the point :P

Hipsters were a thing for a long, long time. It's probably worth looking back into the late '90s or thereabouts to find their origins rather than late 2000s (when they got popular, rather than got started).

good luck on your article!
i was i heavily into the hipster aesthetic when i was 12-14 in 2014-2016 and used to dress in hipster fashion and listened to indie music all the time (still listen to it), so i think you could consider me an hipster :P,
i think the emos of the mid-late 2000s turned into the hipsters of the 2010s. most of the popular emo bands from the 2000s now make indie music and dress in hipster fashion too.
Wikipedia says that modern hipster culture started in the 1990s and became prominent in the late 2000s and early 2010s which i think is pretty accurate.

I mean yeah, I think if we want to get technical, the real origins of hipsterism are in Portland after the death of grunge (and if you want to get really technical, the combination of a DIY sensibility, the exaltation of underground and obscure music, and an interest in social and economic justice probably go all the way back to the early '80s). But that dream appeared to die with the '90s; I'm more interested in the cultural origins of the most recent iteration of hipsterism, or as you say Slowpoke, when it got popular ("again?").

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/18 at 5:55 am

I mean yeah, I think if we want to get technical, the real origins of hipsterism are in Portland after the death of grunge (and if you want to get really technical, the combination of a DIY sensibility, the exaltation of underground and obscure music, and an interest in social and economic justice probably go all the way back to the early '80s). But that dream appeared to die with the '90s; I'm more interested in the cultural origins of the most recent iteration of hipsterism, or as you say Slowpoke, when it get popular ("again?").

I think it's a combination of indie rock, the popularity of metrosexual fashion in the mid-late 2000s, and the gentrification taking place in big cities. People wanted to live in urbane cities that were walkable, they wanted to buy their groceries from farmer's markets, they wanted to support independent retailers instead of big store chains (related to the recession), people shopping for their clothes at thrift stores which is where today's retro-fashion got popular from (also related to the recession), the Movember movement made beards fashionable, there's really just so many things that came together in the late 2000s to give birth to modern hipster.

I'll expand more later, but I have somewhere to go. :)

Written By: John Titor on 07/28/18 at 1:42 pm

I am planning on writing an article of sorts on hipster culture some time soon, which I will of course share with all of you. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I would be interested to gain some insights - particularly from people who did or do identify as hipsters - where you think it all came from. Was it a cultural reaction to something, like emo from the 2000s or the Great Recession? Were the seeds of it sown in the previous decade and is evidence of its eventual birth evident, or did it spring from the ether? What do you think inspired its particular aesthetics and ethos?

Late 2006, with bands like CSS and OK go already wearing Urban Outfitters type clothing, it was niche at the time until late 2008 when American Apparel  exploded in popularity,  somewhere in 2007 people started moving to citys, and then in 2011 thrifting got big.

Check for new replies or respond here...