inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pink, Blue and Purple: The Aesthetics of the Late 2010’s

Written By: duenas8 on 07/30/18 at 2:06 pm

Pink, blue and purple are everywhere. From movies, tv commercials, lighting rooms to music videos and here’s where these colors come from and reached their popularity in the late 2010’s

8gU3IA4u-J8

Subject: Re: Pink, Blue and Purple: The Aesthetics of the Late 2010’s (Video)

Written By: All_about_lily92 on 07/30/18 at 3:32 pm

I thought I was the only who noticed lol. Even lorde’s whole “melodrama” album/era is based off of this color scheme

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Lorde_-_Melodrama.png/220px-Lorde_-_Melodrama.png

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2017/03/02/02-green-light-lorde.w710.h473.jpg

https://nylon-img.imgix.net/featured_images/attachments/000/035/826/original/lorde-new-song-melodrama-feature.jpg?auto=format&ch=Width%2CDPR&q=75&w=640&ixlib=js-1.1.1&cs=strip&crop=&s=b1c321d7e24db6860f1a70ce2c30ca8b

I thought this article was pretty interesting:

https://www.whimn.com.au/look/fashion/melodramatic-purple-is-the-new-millennial-pink/news-story/fc80481f94e3a4db7d022c4095d6597c

Written By: wixness on 07/30/18 at 4:20 pm

I think this is because of 80s nostalgia and vaporwave.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/30/18 at 4:32 pm

I think this is because of 80s nostalgia and vaporwave.

Apparently the colors for Bi-lighting are related to Bisexual Pride Flag which was created in 1998 (Bisexual lighting, I guess). And considering the political and sexual preference progression we've been having lately I assume it's making a rise. Although I suppose you could also reference things like Vaporwave/80s nostalgia.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/d605aa4b1666c1c86f62cc5416b0d874/tumblr_o3zjq2WIAq1uzj1t2o1_r1_500.jpg

I'm not sure if this would continue on after the 2010s and into the 2020s, but hey it's always interesting to see a new aesthetic style pop up.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/30/18 at 4:44 pm

I'm not sure if this would continue on after the 2010s and into the 2020s, but hey it's always interesting to see a new aesthetic style pop up.

I think this will continue until 2020 (or ‘21), but after that, the 80s/90s nostalgia will start to fade away

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/31/18 at 4:29 am

I thought I was the only one who thought that.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/18 at 7:09 am

Pink, blue and purple are everywhere. From movies, tv commercials, lighting rooms to music videos and here’s where these colors come from and reached their popularity in the late 2010’s

8gU3IA4u-J8

Why are those colors popular all of a sudden?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/31/18 at 12:12 pm

I think that vaporwave had a lot to do with the rise of these colors in the late 2010's.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f3/96/ba/f396ba7383bfb729c575f55340af9261--vaporwave-art-art-design.jpg

https://wallpapers.wallhaven.cc/wallpapers/full/wallhaven-644762.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/2a/c8/0c2ac8aa158ddad9fa3d7e9e3dae7eed.jpg

Written By: duenas8 on 07/31/18 at 12:20 pm

I took this picture from another post made by Ofxc.
Popularity of Vaporwave

https://image.ibb.co/d8zvy7/Screen_Shot_2018_02_14_at_3_28_28_PM.png

Reached its peak in 2017, along with 90s/80s nostalgia in media

Written By: Howard on 07/31/18 at 12:55 pm

What is Vaporwave?

Written By: duenas8 on 07/31/18 at 1:19 pm

What is Vaporwave?

A 2010’s music genre based in 90s/80s nostalgia with synths and remixes

aQkPcPqTq4M

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/31/18 at 5:45 pm

Surprised that Vaporwave has kept its popularity for this long. Usually music genres don't stay popular for an entire decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/31/18 at 6:38 pm

Surprised that Vaporwave has kept its popularity for this long. Usually music genres don't stay popular for an entire decade.

I used to be cool with vaporwave but it's listeners (or adherer's) are freakin insufferable.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/31/18 at 8:49 pm

I used to be cool with vaporwave but it's listeners (or adherer's) are freakin insufferable.

The community is funny. I don't interact with the people, though. I just listen to a long playlist of tracks I've download. Ever tried listening to 10 hours of vaporwave? The inside of your head ends up feeling like jelly.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/31/18 at 9:23 pm

The community is funny. I don't interact with the people, though. I just listen to a long playlist of tracks I've download. Ever tried listening to 10 hours of vaporwave? The inside of your head ends up feeling like jelly.

After listening to a lot of Vaporwave, pop music sounds even more cheesy and you can’t hear it in the same way

Written By: Dundee on 08/01/18 at 9:30 am

aQkPcPqTq4M
That's not really what it's all about. It's the act of slowing down existing songs (can range from muzak to Japanese City Pop) and texture manipulation to create moody, Ambient-like pieces. Of course that's one scene, there are also other scenes like Future Funk doing different things too.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/18 at 3:01 pm

aQkPcPqTq4M

I thought vaporwave was a bunch of colors.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/01/18 at 7:31 pm

I definitely noticed that. I think it's kinda cool.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/01/18 at 8:07 pm

It really is everywhere

Dh-ULbQmmF8

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/01/18 at 8:54 pm

The funny thing about Vaporwave is that I can't really call it nostalgia anymore since for the past few years a majority of Vaporwave artists are too young to have been nostalgic for the 1980s and early-mid 1990s. Heck Vektroid (the maker of the famous Macintosh 420 track and popularizing Vaporwave) is from 1992 while Saint Pepsi (largely credited for popularizing Future Funk) is from 1993. Usually people their age is moreso nostalgia for late 90s/early 00s rather than 80s/early 90s (however, I don't know they grew up so what do I know anyway?).

I'm going to assume the Pink, Blue, and Purple color trend is something else entirely. It's related to bi-pride which is from 1998 which would make it late 90s nostalgia? Although honestly I don't think it has anything to do with nostalgia (as you don't hear people being nostalgia for the late 1990s due to the bi-pride scene) and is just a coincidence that the colors are similar to 80s colors.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/01/18 at 9:11 pm

The funny thing about Vaporwave is that I can't really call it nostalgia anymore since for the past few years a majority of Vaporwave artists are too young to have been nostalgic for the 1980s and early-mid 1990s. Heck Vektroid (the maker of the famous Macintosh 420 track and popularizing Vaporwave) is from 1992 while Saint Pepsi (largely credited for popularizing Future Funk) is from 1993. Usually people their age is moreso nostalgia for late 90s/early 00s rather than 80s/early 90s (however, I don't know they grew up so what do I know anyway?).

I'm going to assume the Pink, Blue, and Purple color trend is something else entirely. It's related to bi-pride which is from 1998 which would make it late 90s nostalgia? Although honestly I don't think it has anything to do with nostalgia (as you don't hear people being nostalgia for the late 1990s due to the bi-pride scene) and is just a coincidence that the colors are similar to 80s colors.

I really doubt mainstream creators are choosing these colors out of bi pride...I could be wrong but there's been little said verbally to really make that conclusion. Really, it's a just a cool other worldly color and I think that's the mentality people are approaching it with. I could be wrong to extent but that's what I'm seeing so far.

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 9:02 am

It really is everywhere

Dh-ULbQmmF8
That's Ciara :o? I really thought it was Beyoncé when I first heard it

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 9:18 am

Also I noticed "bi-lightening" became suddenly HUGE in 2015:

DK_0jXPuIr0
AJtDXIazrMo
rClUOdS5Zyw
KEI4qSrkPAs
il9nqWw9W3Y

All Hail 2015 8) Not only was it fresh sounding, but fresh looking too!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/02/18 at 12:19 pm

I'm sure you remember my topic I made about this phenomenom back in 2016:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54729.0

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.424180221.6012/flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

It goes to show that we were spot on. The Vaporwave, A E S T H E T I C, is now pretty prevalent in pop culture nowadays due to the rise in bi-lighting and homages to pop musical trends from the 1980s. I'm sure we all know of the sucess that was Bruno Mars' 24K Magic album. It was released back in Late 2016, but it has remained relevant even in 2018!

LsoLEjrDogU

Theres other examples in pop culture that sort of evoke a sort of 'neo futurism' with its array of colors

Ariana Grande's music video for No Tears Left to Cry

ffxKSjUwKdU

Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey for The Middle
M3mJkSqZbX4

Calvin Harris' & Dua Lipa in One Kiss
Ob4Nk6gz8Ec

DJ Khaled ft. Justin Biber, Quavo, & Chance the Rapper in No Brainer
kxloC1MKTpg

Among other examples. All of these music videos utilize a lot of pinks & purples, along with 80s homages with its usage of gold & gaudy outfits, AND of course bi-lighting. Some are more hardcore in its bi-lighting/80s homages than others, but nonetheless it shows a shift in pop culture from the more darker & natural color tones found in music videos in the mid 2010s. The sound of music, while in many cases is not that significant, still do sound a bit 'different', if I am using the right word.

Even this video from Buzzfeed, showing professional dancers doing Fortnite dances/taunts, utilize bi-lighting in the side of the video that displays the professional dancers

8c5YY9DcoiE

On top of that, VAPORWAVE has seemed to massively increase in popularity (to my surprise) in the last two years. In 2018, the genre seems to be going strong! I still listen to many of these tracks in the car, and weirdly enough with how the culture is changing its starting to seem less & less jarring listening to these tracks.

LlTELBnP3ds

6WyDaw0sPU8

Ef6VBCq9HWo

Among others!

And just so you guys know; there is an actual Vaporwave Funk Station on YouTube:

s4vcmlWK6N0

Its like you said Toon, theres less of a nostalgic aspect about it and more of an actual reality for us. These tracks seem to go well now because it seems, people are doing a little better nowadays financially (we just hit 4.1% quarterly growth the other day!). Its not perfect, but generally as the economy and Americans well being in general improves, the more that nostalgia for the 80s/90s/early 00s that we long for becomes a new reality for us, especially as a new decade roars upon us (Neo Roaring 20s anyone?). I am not sure if I am conveying my thoughts clearly enough, but hopefully you kind of get my drift. Overall, we were both spot on in our predictions!

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/03/18 at 3:05 am

Also I noticed "bi-lightening" became suddenly HUGE in 2015:

DK_0jXPuIr0
AJtDXIazrMo
rClUOdS5Zyw
KEI4qSrkPAs
il9nqWw9W3Y

All Hail 2015 8) Not only was it fresh sounding, but fresh looking too!

Yessss! :D

But you're right, this trend did start pretty suddenly during 2015, this was also when the 2010's got a darker vibe imo. 2014 had a brighter atmosphere with more 'natural' colours.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/03/18 at 3:31 am

More mid-late 2010s examples:

I3mrYxPLSH4

XYAghEq5Lfw

-MsvER1dpjM

jzD_yyEcp0M

foE1mO2yM04

Even TV shows:

https://i.imgur.com/zVna4Lp.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/omW9HLp.jpg?1

Written By: Dundee on 08/03/18 at 4:33 am

I think this should become a thread on its own "Post a music vid with bi-lightening", there's so much of it!

m2hI1_UBN2c

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/03/18 at 6:23 pm

I mean it's still basically underground, even if bi lighting itself has permeated pop culture; come back if/when it becomes a known thing in popular culture.

By the way, I think I'd still insist on a crowbar separation between vaporwave and future funk. Different underlying ideas.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/03/18 at 6:46 pm

I mean it's still basically underground, even if bi lighting itself has permeated pop culture; come back if/when it becomes a known thing in popular culture.

By the way, I think I'd still insist on a crowbar separation between vaporwave and future funk. Different underlying ideas.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I always viewed Vaporwave as sort of a counterculture of capitalism, that uses 80s nostalgia of consumer culture as a sort of irony. While Future Funk as just full blown unapolegetic nostalgia that glorifies the 'Greed is Good' era of the 1980s & (to a lesser extent) 1990s/early 00s.

Regardless of the genre's connotations (and their insane fanbase) I genuinely enjoy listening to these styles of music. They definitely lift up my spirits on my way home from work during gruesome rush hour traffic. But whats your thoughts?

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/03/18 at 7:33 pm

Its like you said Toon, theres less of a nostalgic aspect about it and more of an actual reality for us. These tracks seem to go well now because it seems, people are doing a little better nowadays financially (we just hit 4.1% quarterly growth the other day!). Its not perfect, but generally as the economy and Americans well being in general improves, the more that nostalgia for the 80s/90s/early 00s that we long for becomes a new reality for us, especially as a new decade roars upon us (Neo Roaring 20s anyone?). I am not sure if I am conveying my thoughts clearly enough, but hopefully you kind of get my drift. Overall, we were both spot on in our predictions!

XTm-TlvHrcQ

Now lets watch as pop culture becomes one with the online aesthetic of vaporwave while everyone soon gets the feel good vibes.  8)

By the way, I think I'd still insist on a crowbar separation between vaporwave and future funk. Different underlying ideas. Funny how a music genre that was originally seen as a meme can end up having some very detailed explanations in terms of its history, meaning, and community.

Future Funk is a subgenre of Vaporwave. I consider them connect, but not the same. I'd get into more detail, but I'd end up writing an essay it.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/03/18 at 7:46 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I always viewed Vaporwave as sort of a counterculture of capitalism, that uses 80s nostalgia of consumer culture as a sort of irony. While Future Funk as just full blown unapolegetic nostalgia that glorifies the 'Greed is Good' era of the 1980s & (to a lesser extent) 1990s/early 00s.

Regardless of the genre's connotations (and their insane fanbase) I genuinely enjoy listening to these styles of music. They definitely lift up my spirits on my way home from work during gruesome rush hour traffic. But whats your thoughts?

Here are two tracks.
ptFtEsLtwyUx5tQMFtBbOI
The first track is a Vaporwave track while the second is a Future Funk track. They're both the same songs, but give off different feels to 'em.

With Vaporwave the scene was originally anti-capitalism. Getting pop songs and other forms of pop cultural imagery and recontextualizing them and distorting them to give off a "this stuff is just used to take advantage of you" sorta feel. Companies can just release some flashy pop song and make millions from trendy teens who can't see through the flashy imagery (there is much more to this, but I'm trying to simplify it in the best way that I can).

With Future Funk the scene gives off a "money money money good times" vibe. For example Future Funk would sample things like Japanese City Pop songs. During the 1980s due to the massive economic boom that Japan went through a ton of artists wanted to make music that reflected the current state of Japan. Songs about going on vacations, being in love while starring at the night sky from hotel etc etc. It was very "pro-capitalism" basically. Future Funk sorta mimics this with its more upbeat tone. What would sound droning and strange in Vaporwave now becomes a boppin' dance track.

There is a bit more to it than that, but no one wants to read through a full explanation. A reddit post or youtube video that explains things would be easy to find online. And I haven't even gotten into genres like Vaportrap, Hardvapour, Malsoft etc. Genres like Mallsoft also give ideas of capitalism through the focus on malls and the atmosphere that one gets when going through them. Music playing in the background while consumables are carefully placed around you.
cju6MvJfVRI

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/03/18 at 8:02 pm

Future Funk is a subgenre of Vaporwave. I consider them connect, but not the same. I'd get into more detail, but I'd end up writing an essay it.

An essay, eh? ;D

http://nerdrevolt.net/2018/02/02/i-have-seen-the-future-and-it-is-funky/

For a deeper look at vaporwave, I'd recommend the book Babbling Corpse by Grafton Tanner.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/03/18 at 8:15 pm

An essay, eh? ;D

http://nerdrevolt.net/2018/02/02/i-have-seen-the-future-and-it-is-funky/

For a deeper look at vaporwave, I'd recommend the book Babbling Corpse by Grafton Tanner.

Welp! There ya go. Can already find better people to explain Vaporwave better than me. After reading blog posts, youtube videos, and many reddit discussions you'd be surprise on how deep Vaporwave can be.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/03/18 at 8:17 pm

I think this should become a thread on its own "Post a music vid with bi-lightening", there's so much of it!

Funny how when we pay attention the bi-lighting in music vids we start seeing how many videos actually used 'em.  :o Never would've thought something as simple as lighting could become trendy in music videos.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/03/18 at 9:48 pm

With Vaporwave the scene was originally anti-capitalism. Getting pop songs and other forms of pop cultural imagery and recontextualizing them and distorting them to give off a "this stuff is just used to take advantage of you" sorta feel. Companies can just release some flashy pop song and make millions from trendy teens who can't see through the flashy imagery (there is much more to this, but I'm trying to simplify it in the best way that I can).

With Future Funk the scene gives off a "money money money good times" vibe. For example Future Funk would sample things like Japanese City Pop songs. During the 1980s due to the massive economic boom that Japan went through a ton of artists wanted to make music that reflected the current state of Japan. Songs about going on vacations, being in love while starring at the night sky from hotel etc etc. It was very "pro-capitalism" basically. Future Funk sorta mimics this with its more upbeat tone. What would sound droning and strange in Vaporwave now becomes a boppin' dance track.

Ok so I understand a little bit of what you're trying to get at. So I was right essentially, Vaporwave is a critique on capitalism, Future Funk embraces it. Its weird how I was able to tell the difference in messaging by simply just hearing the instrumentation and pacing of Vaporwave & Future Funk songs. They also go well with my mood, Future Funk I typically listen to when I'm driving during rush hour to keep me awake and pumped, while Vaporwave I typically listen to when I'm studying for a test as it helps relax me and keep me focused on my studies/tasks.

There is a bit more to it than that, but no one wants to read through a full explanation. A reddit post or youtube video that explains things would be easy to find online. And I haven't even gotten into genres like Vaportrap, Hardvapour, Malsoft etc. Genres like Mallsoft also give ideas of capitalism through the focus on malls and the atmosphere that one gets when going through them. Music playing in the background while consumables are carefully placed around you.
cju6MvJfVRI

Yeah I'll give the video a watch!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/03/18 at 9:50 pm

BTW, what is your opinion on this album by 猫 シ Corp.?

kovd7OzcU9s

It seems to be a fusion of Vaporwave & Future Funk strangely enough...

Written By: Dundee on 08/04/18 at 1:51 am

It seems to be a fusion of Vaporwave & Future Funk strangely enough...
It's called "Mallsoft"

Written By: Dundee on 08/04/18 at 2:05 am

Funny how when we pay attention the bi-lighting in music vids we start seeing how many videos actually used 'em.  :o Never would've thought something as simple as lighting could become trendy in music videos.
I noticed it somewhat before, but never really put more thought into it.

More uses of bi-lightening :D
Gc71AmT_b2k
1ekZEVeXwek
dPI-mRFEIH0
XatXy6ZhKZw
fyaI4-5849w
TyHvyGVs42U
wnJ6LuUFpMo
ozv4q2ov3Mk
Mgfe5tIwOj0
xwjwCFZpdns
bSfpSOBD30U
VY1eFxgRR-k

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/04/18 at 6:42 am

Side note: That Katy Perry video shows how f'ing crazy she's gone.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/04/18 at 7:14 am

Ok so I understand a little bit of what you're trying to get at. So I was right essentially, Vaporwave is a critique on capitalism, Future Funk embraces it. Its weird how I was able to tell the difference in messaging by simply just hearing the instrumentation and pacing of Vaporwave & Future Funk songs. They also go well with my mood, Future Funk I typically listen to when I'm driving during rush hour to keep me awake and pumped, while Vaporwave I typically listen to when I'm studying for a test as it helps relax me and keep me focused on my studies/tasks.

Yeah, you had the right idea on the relation between Vaporwave/Future Funk. I was just trying to give my own explanation on it as well, but we ultimately ended up saying the same thing. When I drive home at night after work listening to Vaporwave, Future Funk, & Mallsoft puts me a nice mood for some reason. Odd since I'd never give any Vaporwave tracks the award of "Song of the year" yet I listen to them constantly.

Yeah I'll give the video a watch!

It's really good. Just funny how after listening to Mallsoft again and again made me look at grocery stores a little differently.

Gc71AmT_b2k
1ekZEVeXwek
dPI-mRFEIH0
XatXy6ZhKZw
fyaI4-5849w
TyHvyGVs42U
wnJ6LuUFpMo
ozv4q2ov3Mk
Mgfe5tIwOj0
xwjwCFZpdns
bSfpSOBD30U
VY1eFxgRR-k

So many songs used it! How did it take us this long to notice?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/18 at 7:20 am

TyHvyGVs42U

Hahaha, I've heard this song multiple times but never knew it had a music video with a billion views! Damn I'm so late and I can't use the Spanish language as an excuse  ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/04/18 at 9:09 am

UONnRMuuDps

ntLtNTUCuII

Written By: ofkx on 08/04/18 at 10:54 am

those colors are EVERYWHERE, especially purple. practically half of the music videos today have them. i think it's definitely influenced by the whole outrun/vaporwave aesthetic (like my avatar).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/05/18 at 10:21 pm

It's called "Mallsoft"

I see. Yeah I stumbled upon this last night:

Rw-SX3trsIk&frags=pl%2Cwn

Subject: Re: Pink, Blue and Purple: The Aesthetics of the Late 2010’s

Written By: Moon Unit on 08/06/18 at 1:10 pm

This video is mainly b&w, but I believe it has some form of the color scheme even if the use is more monochromatic. Purple and blue happens to be the colors of two of the members in this video too.
cG7FkoNKBzI
------------------------
2016, but I think it counts.
lpwG8f9nt4s
------------------------
5wEjz3RdnKA

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/06/18 at 2:09 pm

All of these videos look super 80s nostalgic.

Written By: Dundee on 08/06/18 at 7:17 pm

All of these videos look super 80s nostalgic.
Do they? It's just a question of club lightening, otherwise none of them look 80s influenced at all (except obviously Finesse)

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/06/18 at 7:27 pm

Do they? It's just a question of club lightening, otherwise none of them look 80s influenced at all (except obviously Finesse)

A lot of the fashion and women's hair look 80s influenced, not consciously. More like "subconsciously 80s" influenced.

Finesse is supposed to be early 90s, right?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/18 at 11:20 pm

I think of blue and red. Also pale pastel colours are quite popular in the late 2010s.

Written By: xris on 08/07/18 at 9:46 am

So what were the predominant colors of the early 2010s?
I remember purple as early as 2011 on some Telemundo productions.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/07/18 at 10:19 am

If this decade had colors:

2010 might be purple and gray.
2011-2012 might be neon green, neon blue, and neon pink.
2013-2015 might be red, dark green, and brown.
2016-present might be purple, pink, blue, and orange.

Written By: xris on 08/07/18 at 10:34 am

^I agree about 2011 and 2012 being neon everything. I'd add neon yellow as well.

But about 2013 and the first half of 2014 I think they had a totally different feel to them.
2015 for sure felt brown. But I don't remember brown being that big in 2013. In early 2014, Samsung launched the S5 which was notable with its metallic blue back.

The next series, S6 and S7 were popular in beige/gold and the later ones are dark gray or sth like that.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 1:15 pm

I wonder if pastels will become popular in the 2020s. It'll be like that episode from Black Mirror.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/18 at 1:17 pm

I'd personally expand the 2013-2015 era into 2016. Along with switching out red in the 13-15'/16' column for blue, especially with denim like blue in relation to the rise in Grunge influenced fashion in the mid 10s. Other than that, I'd say this is pretty accurate!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/07/18 at 1:45 pm

I'd personally expand the 2013-2015 era into 2016. Along with switching out red in the 13-15'/16' column for blue, especially with denim like blue in relation to the rise in Grunge influenced fashion in the mid 10s. Other than that, I'd say this is pretty accurate!

I never really viewed 2013-2015/16 as being blue. I see much more red, but that's probably just me.

The reason why I put it up until 2015 was because I believe that the whole hipster thing started to slightly decline in around 2016, especially during the year's second half.

Written By: xris on 08/07/18 at 1:51 pm

If you google "web trends 201X" where you replace the X with a number, 2015 and 2016 show lots of blues. The hue I hate. 2012-2014 show teal, emerald, some pastels like pink or yellow. 2017-2018 show lots of purples.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/18 at 2:04 pm

The whole decade was colourful.

Written By: duenas8 on 08/07/18 at 2:29 pm

Neon colors were everywhere during the early 2010’s

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KG9x8H7K3_I/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 2:43 pm

I prefer the early and late 2010 colors to the mid. There was something kind of muted about the mid 2010s colors.

When these videos came out, it was a refreshing change of pace.

il9nqWw9W3Y 1ekZEVeXwek

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/07/18 at 3:28 pm

The middle part of the decade was all about those earthy tones.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/18 at 3:30 pm

The mid 2010s still had colour. It wouldn't be weird for someone to wear a bright yellow shirt or bright red pants in 2014 and 2015, though these types of clothes were a lot more popular in the early 2010s. I still see people wearing them. This whole decade has a bright vibe to it from start to finish.

Written By: Moon Unit on 08/07/18 at 8:41 pm

Contributing a bit more. I'm pretty sure it's been a trend in kpop to some degree even if the videos have been bright for a while now. A few of these might be stretches, but at least one of the colors are involved subdued or not.
V9QXQz6uE0M
4j7Umwfx60Q
ZNcBZM5SvbY
J_CFBjAyPWE

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/18 at 9:08 pm

The mid 2010s still had colour. It wouldn't be weird for someone to wear a bright yellow shirt or bright red pants in 2014 and 2015, though these types of clothes were a lot more popular in the early 2010s. I still see people wearing them. This whole decade has a bright vibe to it from start to finish.

When I think Mid 2010s, I think of mainly blue, taupe, green, & beige, basically more muted colors. These items below were very popular in the mid 2010s for people our age due to their more modest color designs:

Muted Color Polos:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Men%27s_Polo_Shirts_2015.JPG

Muted Color A-Line Dresses:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Mid_2010s_Dresses.JPG

This coincided with the culture at the time which was noticeably more dark than 2010-2012/2013. 2015 & (especially) 2016 were easily the darkest years of this decade, and thus the most quintessential. It was also an era marked by an increase in popularity for Mid 10s style EDM & Indie music. That along with Grunge fashion making a huge comeback in popularity.

Since 2017 I've started to notice lighter/vibrant color tones make a huge comeback, along with the obvious rise in colors like Purple, Pink, Navy Blue, etc.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/18 at 9:10 pm

The middle part of the decade was all about those earthy tones.

THIS. It was like the Mid 90s all over again! I honestly kind of miss it...

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/18 at 9:12 pm

Since 2017 I've started to notice lighter/vibrant color tones make a huge comeback, along with the obvious rise in colors like Purple, Pink, Navy Blue, etc.

I've also noticed this. I thought it didn't go away, but I really don't know much about fashion. I think you're right it made a comeback because I've noticed people wearing bright yellow, red, bright baby blue, etc in the last year.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/07/18 at 11:44 pm

When I think Mid 2010s, I think of mainly blue, taupe, green, & beige, basically more muted colors. These items below were very popular in the mid 2010s for people our age due to their more modest color designs:

Muted Color Polos:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Men%27s_Polo_Shirts_2015.JPG

Muted Color A-Line Dresses:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Mid_2010s_Dresses.JPG

This coincided with the culture at the time which was noticeably more dark than 2010-2012/2013. 2015 & (especially) 2016 were easily the darkest years of this decade, and thus the most quintessential. It was also an era marked by an increase in popularity for Mid 10s style EDM & Indie music. That along with Grunge fashion making a huge comeback in popularity.

2016 is probably the definitive year of this decade due to all of the political drama.

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 5:21 am

Defining doesn't mean ppl will remember them fondly. Trump's election, subpar pop music and terrorism in Europe 8-P I will miss the early 2010s more for sure. :)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/08/18 at 7:42 am

I think 2013 can be considered the definitive year of the decade because it had ties to both the early and mid 2010s and it was just a very eventful year for pop culture. But 2014 and 2015 are good choices too. 2016 I don't think so.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/08/18 at 10:29 pm

I think 2013 can be considered the definitive year of the decade because it had ties to both the early and mid 2010s and it was just a very eventful year for pop culture. But 2014 and 2015 are good choices too. 2016 I don't think so.

2013 more of a definitive year than 2016 ???

To each his own I guess.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/08/18 at 10:36 pm

Just stumbled upon this very well constructed video from Vox:

DdpEYzvi8pI

It is about the overall decline of Neon signs, particularly in the famed 'neon paradise' of Hong Kong, in favor for more cheaper & efficient LED signs. Because of this, the vibrant colorful landscape of the city is transforming to something more 'minimalist' in tone. Some store owners with LED signs have done their best in trying to maintain the look of neon signs with elaborate LED signs, but with the immense amount of safety regulations in Hong Kong, even those efforts may be futile.

Do you guys see a similar trend potentially hitting the West? If so, how do you think companies would react? I personally think this goes into play with societal's current values regarding color composition, which would thus make the 2020s very intriguing (for better and worst) in that regard. We're talking about the rise of bi-lightening in pop culture, but who's to say that even the vibrancy of colors in things like music videos will start to become more meek than they are now.

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 10:43 pm

LEDs are more intense.
Even LED glare from LED headlights blinds other drivers. It's just too intense. I miss normal headlights and street lamps with nicer hues. I loved the bluish/greenish tint that Mercury Vapor lamps produce, it made night scenes in movies look mysterious. Think MJ's Thriller, Madonna's Burning Up.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/08/18 at 10:53 pm

Just like the 2000s, the early 2010s are the most definitive part of this decade. Even though I hate the early 2010s, I can't deny the culture was the most definitive in the early '10s.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/08/18 at 10:58 pm

Just stumbled upon this very well constructed video from Vox:

DdpEYzvi8pI

Hey Zelda, ot but if possible could you respond to the PM I sent, as well as my oobservations in the Y2K thread and the Gen Y videos thread?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/09/18 at 3:19 pm

I don't know about blue and purple, but I am noticing iridescent items in stores often as of late.

Written By: xris on 08/09/18 at 4:12 pm

ZeldaFan, I think it has already hit the west. NY's Times Square has screens showing ads in place of the neon lights it had most of the 20th century. It looked different before the screens.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/09/18 at 11:16 pm

ZeldaFan, I think it has already hit the west. NY's Times Square has screens showing ads in place of the neon lights it had most of the 20th century. It looked different before the screens.

Interesting. Do you have any visual examples by any chance?

Written By: duenas8 on 02/12/19 at 8:01 pm

z1afqR5QkDM

Written By: duenas8 on 12/05/19 at 10:03 pm

It seems the aesthetics will have their own movie  ;D
RfYAXMwCpk0

Written By: fusefan on 12/11/19 at 1:11 am

I think that vaporwave had a lot to do with the rise of these colors in the late 2010's.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f3/96/ba/f396ba7383bfb729c575f55340af9261--vaporwave-art-art-design.jpg

https://wallpapers.wallhaven.cc/wallpapers/full/wallhaven-644762.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/2a/c8/0c2ac8aa158ddad9fa3d7e9e3dae7eed.jpg

Not gonna lie. This aesthetic is one thing I like about the late 2010s.

Check for new replies or respond here...