inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will regular video gaming still be around?

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/02/18 at 8:58 pm

I'd like to think that when I'm in my 40s or 50s (2030s, 2040s) that the option to play regular video games and not just VR would be there.

Subject: Re: Will regular video gaming still be around?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/02/18 at 9:12 pm

I think it will be. There are people out there who prefer to play games without all of the extra gadgets.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/18 at 7:37 am

What exactly do you mean by "regular" video gaming? You mean playing games on consoles like The Atari and the Nintendo systems?  ???

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/18 at 10:06 am

Why wouldn't they be?  2D platformers have seen a resurgence in recent years despite being primitive compared to 3D.  In some ways simpler games can be a lot more fun in my opinion.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/18 at 2:57 pm

My question is when will VR, AR, and 4-D gaming combined take that next big step to where it becomes a huge hit and a pop cultural icon to the point where it becomes multi-millions in sells? Like when early gaming boomed throughout the 80's, when 3-D gaming boomed throughout the late 90's, or when online gaming boomed throughout the late 2000's. I'm waiting for that next big step in gaming that blows people away. Sure, regular VR has been around, but it hasn't been that groundbreaking yet.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/03/18 at 6:17 pm

Quite the contrary, I think lower-fi, 2D indie games are bigger than ever. Look at Steam and all the indie developers with hand-drawn animations.

Written By: 2001 on 08/03/18 at 7:44 pm

Why wouldn't they be?  2D platformers have seen a resurgence in recent years despite being primitive compared to 3D.  In some ways simpler games can be a lot more fun in my opinion.

Can be? They are! I've been over AAA gaming since 2006 ;D

Re: OP. VR is currently trash. I don't think it will be any good until at least the mid/late-2030s or so, so you don't have much to worry about for now. And who knows, you might like advanced VR. :P

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/03/18 at 10:36 pm

Can be? They are! I've been over AAA gaming since 2006 ;D

Re: OP. VR is currently trash. I don't think it will be any good until at least the mid/late-2030s or so, so you don't have much to worry about for now. And who knows, you might like advanced VR. :P

Not for me. Already been enough change.

Written By: duenas8 on 08/03/18 at 11:59 pm

There will always be companies specifically like Nintendo, which always try to focus on families and nostalgia, but by 2040 those “regular consoles” won’t be exactly as we know them.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/04/18 at 4:19 am

There will always be companies specifically like Nintendo, which always try to focus on families and nostalgia, but by 2040 those “regular consoles” won’t be exactly as we know them.

How's this: the youngsters have VR and the rest of us have video games?

Written By: ofkx on 08/04/18 at 10:59 am

isn't VR dying though? and i don't really think there will be a huge difference in gaming a couple of decades right now other than graphics and even the graphics may not be that different considering that some of today's games seem to favor cartoony graphics (overwatch, fortnite). The way you play games has been the same since around the '80s and i doubt that it'll be that different in the future.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/18 at 2:10 pm

How's this: the youngsters have VR and the rest of us have video games?

maybe some of us don't want to change? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/18 at 11:24 pm

Yeah  because I remember hearing someone say console gaming would be completely dead and replaced by mobile gaming in 5 years back in 2013. 5 years have passed and it's nowhere near dead (and mobile gaming is not that much more advanced too). Now people are saying the same for VR and that VR gaming will replace console gaming in 5 years, I don't think I will fall for that this time. There seems to always be a place for console gaming for as long as 2D TVs exist.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/18 at 11:25 pm

isn't VR dying though? and i don't really think there will be a huge difference in gaming a couple of decades right now other than graphics and even the graphics may not be that different considering that some of today's games seem to favor cartoony graphics (overwatch, fortnite). The way you play games has been the same since around the '80s and i doubt that it'll be that different in the future.

How is VR dying? Lol it's like one of the newest inventions yet it hasn't even begun to see its potential.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/18 at 11:26 pm

By 2040 nothing will be exactly as we know it. 2040 is a loooong time away who even knows if the world will still be intact by then lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/18 at 11:28 pm

My question is when will VR, AR, and 4-D gaming combined take that next big step to where it becomes a huge hit and a pop cultural icon to the point where it becomes multi-millions in sells? Like when early gaming boomed throughout the 80's, when 3-D gaming boomed throughout the late 90's, or when online gaming boomed throughout the late 2000's. I'm waiting for that next big step in gaming that blows people away. Sure, regular VR has been around, but it hasn't been that groundbreaking yet.

Give it some time to improve. Probably in the '20s decade it will see that growth you are describing. VR/AR at the moment is like how the internet was in the early 1990s, it's still in its very early infancy. By 2030 AR and VR will be used in almost every aspect of our lives, sort of like the internet is used today, only the internet will be integrated into AR/VR however that may look and we will have little need for physical devices with traditional screens. These things take time to grow and mature.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/18 at 7:39 am

By 2040 nothing will be exactly as we know it. 2040 is a loooong time away who even knows if the world will still be intact by then lol.

We'll see what happens in 20 years.

Written By: duenas8 on 08/07/18 at 9:07 am

How is VR dying? Lol it's like one of the newest inventions yet it hasn't even begun to see its potential.

There’s already critical acclaimed video games that have came out in VR, Lone Echo is one of them. VR/AR has a lot of potential, but we’ll see if they can replace home consoles

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/18 at 1:56 pm

There’s already critical acclaimed video games that have came out in VR, Lone Echo is one of them. VR/AR has a lot of potential, but we’ll see if they can replace home consoles

So? It doesn't matter if it replaces consoles or not. VR and AR go way beyond gaming. The industry has only just started.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/07/18 at 3:36 pm

Hopefully climate change or a nuclear war destroy the world before that in all honesty.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/18 at 3:57 pm

Hopefully climate change or a nuclear war destroy the world before that in all honesty.

Why are you hating before you've even tried it? ???

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/07/18 at 4:01 pm

Because I have no interest nor want any part of it, and would like for what I like to at least remain as an alternative, rather than being utterly sidelined and confined to having to cost huge amounts of money on Ebay.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/18 at 4:03 pm

Because I have no interest nor want any part of it, and would like for what I like to at least remain as an alternative, rather than being utterly sidelined and confined to having to cost huge amounts of money on Ebay.

Well, you're going to have to get used to it. Video games have been evolving rapidly since their inception. VR would hardly be the most revolutionary thing that's happened to video games in your lifetime ???

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/07/18 at 4:06 pm

Or I can, you know, not get used to it and stick to what I like and not have what I do not want imposed on me. I can stick to my old games and consoles.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/18 at 4:09 pm

Or I can, you know, not get used to it and stick to what I like and not have what I do not want imposed on me. I can stick to my old games and consoles.

But you haven't even tried it to know if you like it or not. I don't understand this mindset.  :-\\

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/07/18 at 4:34 pm

But you haven't even tried it to know if you like it or not. I don't understand this mindset.  :-\\

I also have never tried crack and so don't know if I would like it or not, but I know I have no interest in trying it. Let VR nuts live in fantasy land and let everyone else have what they want. Thanks.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/18 at 4:39 pm

I also have never tried crack and so don't know if I would like it or not, but I know I have no interest in trying it. Let VR nuts live in fantasy land and let everyone else have what they want. Thanks.

That's not an analogous comparison and you know that :P

No one said you can't have what you want, but you said you'd rather there be nuclear war than have proper VR exist, which I know you meant in a tongue in cheek way, but the mindset itself will never not be bizarre to me :P

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/07/18 at 4:43 pm

Because it is dystopian and a turnoff to me. I prefer to live in reality.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/18 at 5:11 pm

Because it is dystopian and a turnoff to me. I prefer to live in reality.

Playing games on a 2D screen or looking into a computer screen isn't living in reality either... In fact when those things came out people said what you were saying. There is no difference other than the technology itself. It is still virtual reality and you are still immersed in a virtual enviornment even when you are staring at a screen playing games.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/07/18 at 7:17 pm

Playing games on a 2D screen or looking into a computer screen isn't living in reality either... In fact when those things came out people said what you were saying. There is no difference other than the technology itself. It is still virtual reality and you are still immersed in a virtual enviornment even when you are staring at a screen playing games.

I just like it the way I know it.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/18 at 7:09 am

good idea to stick with old nostalgia.

Check for new replies or respond here...