inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are teenagers less rebellious?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 08/03/18 at 1:49 am

It seems like most of the time up until the 2000s, there was some kind of "youth rebel" culture.  It doesn't seem to be as common now, in my opinion.  Do you agree or disagree?

Subject: Re: Are teenagers less rebellious?

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/03/18 at 2:03 am

There have been studies finding that today's teenagers and young adults are more well-behaved than previous generations.

Here's an interesting article about iGen (a.k.a. Gen. Z) being in less of a hurry to grow up and having closer relationships with their parents.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_teens_today_are_different_from_past_generations

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/03/18 at 2:09 am

It seems like most of the time up until the 2000s, there was some kind of "youth rebel" culture.  It doesn't seem to be as common now, in my opinion.  Do you agree or disagree?

What are you basing this off of? ??? Did you ever hear about the protests after the Parkland shooting happened? Or all of the protests that occurred when Trump became president?

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/03/18 at 10:09 am

Not really. In fact, I know someone who is my age that is probably the most rebellious person I've ever met.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/18 at 10:10 am

I think it's more the fact there isn't currently a "rebellious" music genre promoting lifestyles that older generations would see as rebellious.  When I was in high school, that's what nu metal and to an extent pop pump and emo were about. If you liked hip-hop, rebellion was one of the things that defined early Eminem.  Today's teens don't really have an equivalent of that.

Written By: John Titor on 08/03/18 at 11:28 am

I think it's more the fact there isn't currently a "rebellious" music genre promoting lifestyles that older generations would see as rebellious.  When I was in high school, that's what nu metal and to an extent pop pump and emo were about. If you liked hip-hop, rebellion was one of the things that defined early Eminem.  Today's teens don't really have an equivalent of that.

oh they will lol

Written By: xenzue on 08/03/18 at 1:58 pm

There already is tbh. 6ix9ine and the music scene he's in comes close to that. Older people universally don't understand him and younger people who do are extremely divided on him; they either hate him or fw him. Even NY is divided on him. XXX was going to be the face of this generation's rebellion, but he died way too soon.

Written By: Dundee on 08/03/18 at 3:19 pm

There already is tbh. 6ix9ine and the music scene he's in comes close to that.
Ew, can we stop seeing anything in this musically inept child molester?
I don't mind people seeing a "ignored musical genius" into XXXtencion, but there's absolutely nothing of worth in 69.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/03/18 at 4:23 pm

There already is tbh. 6ix9ine and the music scene he's in comes close to that. Older people universally don't understand him and younger people who do are extremely divided on him; they either hate him or fw him. Even NY is divided on him. XXX was going to be the face of this generation's rebellion, but he died way too soon.

LOL, NY is not divided on 6ix9ine.

Most of us don't care about him. It's mostly people from OTHER cities & regions that care about him.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/03/18 at 5:42 pm

Most of us don't care about him. It's mostly people from OTHER cities & regions that care about him.

Haha facts. I only just heard about him this year with Gummo. I honestly don't understand what the appeal of his music is. Perhaps I'm just becoming out of touch with the current generation's hip hop/rap scene, but I can honestly see through his 'Gang Gang' tough guy attitude as merely just a mirage. Come to think of it, thats how I feel with a lot of new age rappers :-\\.

Question to the teens out here, what makes guys like 69, XXX (RIP, But I honestly never f*cked with his music), Post Malone, Travis Scott, Lil Yachty, & Lil Pump so popular to people your age? Cause in all honesty, minus hype beats and (and I dare say it) intense charisma, lyrically these guys pale in comparison to the greats of the 1990s like Biggy, Tupac, Ice Cube, early Snoog Dog, Dr. Dre, or, Eazy E. Let alone rappers that were big just 5-10 years ago like Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Jay Z, early Kanye, Kid Cudi, or Akon.

Written By: xenzue on 08/03/18 at 5:48 pm

Ew, can we stop seeing anything in this musically inept child molester?
I don't mind people seeing a "ignored musical genius" into XXXtencion, but there's absolutely nothing of worth in 69.

I don't see anything in him except that he's (and XXXtentacion) one of the most polarizing figures in hip hop in a long time. 69 and X bring this rebellion aspect that hasn't been seen in a while, that's all im saying.

I hear this a lot but then again Brooklyn gassed him up to the point where he got a big local following and was able to blow up everywhere. But youre right ppl do like him a lot more in other cities, I hear him being played way more in Atlanta than in NY lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/03/18 at 6:45 pm

Haha facts. I only just heard about him this year with Gummo. I honestly don't understand what the appeal of his music is. Perhaps I'm just becoming out of touch with the current generation's hip hop/rap scene, but I can honestly see through his 'Gang Gang' tough guy attitude as merely just a mirage. Come to think of it, thats how I feel with a lot of new age rappers :-\\.

Question to the teens out here, what makes guys like 69, XXX (RIP, But I honestly never f*cked with his music), Post Malone, Travis Scott, Lil Yachty, & Lil Pump so popular to people your age? Cause in all honesty, minus hype beats and (and I dare say it) intense charisma, lyrically these guys pale in comparison to the greats of the 1990s like Biggy, Tupac, Ice Cube, early Snoog Dog, Dr. Dre, or, Eazy E. Let alone rappers that were big just 5-10 years ago like Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Jay Z, early Kanye, Kid Cudi, or Akon.

I feel the exact same way.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/03/18 at 6:49 pm

I listened to "Fefe" a few days ago and that sh*t waa sad.

A song with a decent beat but with trash lyrics. Damn.

All they were rapping about was sex. The song was vulgar as f*ck. Even 6ix9ine himself admitted that the lyrics were trash ;D.

Written By: 2001 on 08/03/18 at 8:10 pm

Today's teenagers are the best-behaved on record, and this trend of improving behaviour has been going on since the late 1990s. Less drug abuse, fewer teen pregnancies, fewer violent crimes, higher graduation rates, higher university acceptance rates etc. That's a GOOD thing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  8)

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/03/18 at 8:15 pm

Today's teenagers are the best-behaved on record, and this trend of improving behaviour has been going on since the late 1990s. Less drug abuse, fewer teen pregnancies, fewer violent crimes, higher graduation rates, higher university acceptance rates etc. That's a GOOD thing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  8)

Seriously. I've realized people just take out the "the world is going downhill" to institute some proto-fascist bullcrap.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/03/18 at 8:17 pm

I don't think there necessarily less rebellious but just more diverse in thinking. You'll have your rebilous type while you also have those who are more innocent. Gen z still have that teenage angst, but just don't all view drugs and tattoos as a way to be "cool" or "anti-establishment" because all of that's been done by previous genorations hence why nerd culture is s o acceptable by gen z'ers.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/03/18 at 8:36 pm

2000s had some strong acts like Lupe Fiasco, Kayne, Enimen, 50 cent, Cassidy, The Clipse, etc. People underestimate 2000s rap because of the rimgtone and autotune era of the mid-late 00s but forget that a lot of 90s acts stayed relevant throughout the entire decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/03/18 at 10:15 pm

2000s had some strong acts like Lupe Fiasco, Kayne, Enimen, 50 cent, Cassidy, The Clipse, etc. People underestimate 2000s rap because of the rimgtone and autotune era of the mid-late 00s but forget that a lot of 90s acts stayed relevant throughout the entire decade.

Eh. I respect Kanye and Eminem but besides MF Doom, I can't bring myself to care about 2000s rap.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/03/18 at 10:20 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't be completely surprised if core gen z became all proto-Gilead ish to be rebellious.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/03/18 at 11:27 pm

Eh. I respect Kanye and Eminem but besides MF Doom, I can't bring myself to care about 2000s rap.
Different strokes for different folks. Lots of 80s borns feel that the 00s was an inferior decade for music.

Written By: xenzue on 08/04/18 at 1:17 am

Have you listened to The Cold Vein, Be, Murs 3:16: The 9th Edition, or Fantastic Damage? Albums like that make 00s Hip Hop good in my book.

Written By: ofkx on 08/04/18 at 11:02 am

uh, no. half my class vape and smoke weed while the other half like to drive drunk cause they think it's fun or whatever.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/04/18 at 11:15 am

uh, no. half my class vape and smoke weed while the other half like to drive drunk cause they think it's fun or whatever.
Sounds like my high school, I remember kids at my high school try to get me to do drugs but I never do it. I met younger Z'ers who did drugs but I also met a lot of Z'ers who don't do drugs. It depends on the school and area you live in.

Written By: wixness on 08/04/18 at 3:48 pm

I agree and this is reflected in the pop culture. The fashion looks more gendered and the music sounds like something that conservatives can appreciate (provided they don't speak English and they don't watch the music videos) because it all sounds bland, in an effort to sound more grown up and less commercialized.
I think there may be individuals who still have more politically and socially conservative attitudes, but I consider the LGBT movement a little responsible for this until 2016.

Written By: wixness on 08/04/18 at 3:50 pm

I don't think there necessarily less rebellious but just more diverse in thinking. You'll have your rebilous type while you also have those who are more innocent. Gen z still have that teenage angst, but just don't all view drugs and tattoos as a way to be "cool" or "anti-establishment" because all of that's been done by previous genorations hence why nerd culture is s o acceptable by gen z'ers.

This is a good point, but I think even as late as the 2000s, teenagers were still rebellious. I think this would have had to do with the Bush era. Rock music was in probably to try and annoy religious fundamentalists; emo fashion was in to do the same, with the androgynous aesthetic. Drugs and same-sex marriage were still issues that were frowned upon.

Written By: wixness on 08/04/18 at 3:53 pm

Hit the nail on its head. These days though I hear more and more teens listening to hip hop and less rock - I admit that rock does sound stale, and there may be an element of lack of racial diversity I don't want to get into with rock. As for hip hop, I think teens are getting into it since it came from the late 80s, since it sounds "fresh" and tackles stuff like racial issues more directly. Hip hop may be the new punk.
I don't mind the sound of hip hop myself but I can't really get into it. I like the edgy and cute sounds that last decade's music had, and I like the cute and androgynous appearance that people in the previous decade aspired for as a result of the pop punk subculture.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/04/18 at 4:36 pm

Umm...I think they could be rebellious but in a different way.

When I was a teenager in high school I use to be very rebellious but I never did horrible things to myself like do drugs or drink alcohol. It was more like I was stubborn, imprudent, snobby, and wanted to be mean to my high school classmates(because they always treated me like trash). I knew why they hated me, so I would purposely show up leave my hair out and act like a bitch!...Yeah, I was not sweet at 15, 16, 17. I was bitter. When I was alone though, I would be the complete opposite of that. And as I got older I stopped being so bitchy lol.

So, I think it depends on the person. Some might show their rebellious ways differently than older generations did.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/04/18 at 11:22 pm

This is a good point, but I think even as late as the 2000s, teenagers were still rebellious. I think this would have had to do with the Bush era. Rock music was in probably to try and annoy religious fundamentalists; emo fashion was in to do the same, with the androgynous aesthetic. Drugs and same-sex marriage were still issues that were frowned upon.
The music today is a lot less aggressive than it was 5-10 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...