inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm officially done with Anglo culture

Written By: christopher on 08/04/18 at 4:17 pm

Dunno whether it's cultural fatigue or what but US and British culture seems stale to me. It hasn't offered anything in a long time for me to like in terms of music, movies, and celebrities. I also dislike the arrogance of many American & British celebrities and politicians. Also the way US-sourced music is constantly on 24/7 is annoying when it's no longer good. 8-P I still keep my treasured memories of 80's, 2000's and early 2010's US & UK culture, but lately I couldn't care less for them.

I can't stand the current crop of movie stars and political personalities like Trump, Theresa May and the way they are constantly in our local press. I think Hispanic culture is much more varied - at the least you have more countries to choose from - Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela to name a few. I find Latin American and Spanish culture to have much more in common with Balkan ones, so maybe that's one reason.

Have you felt that maybe it's time to jump ship? I'd guess knowing more languages help in case of burnout? I've studied French but couldn't care less for French culture, always preferred Hispanic one. Now I am learning Spanish and it's great to visit Spanish sites, everything seems brand new and exciting again. I might also learn Swedish as it seems an interesting culture and the grammar's easy. A not very well-known culture to give me variety. Have you ever sought better music/movies/TV etc. in a different culture? :)

Subject: Re: I'm officially done with Anglo culture

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/04/18 at 4:41 pm

Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are a part of Anglo culture, too.  ::)

I've had very limited experience with non-Anglo cultures. I spent a month in Spain last year and enjoyed it for the most part because it was different from the U.S. culture that I knew, but not too different because it was still European. I liked the lifestyle where people walked everywhere and didn't drive as much, the "siesta" (breaks in the middle of the day when some businesses close down), and tapas, which is where you can get free portions of food when you go to certain bars and buy alcohol.

I didn't much care for Spanish food, though. It wasn't seasoned much.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/18 at 4:51 pm

Yep, Anglo culture sucks big time.

Of course for some strange reason, people across the world are beating down the doors to enter The US of A illegally. I understand that England is also flooded with people barging in, and then riding on the dole.

However much we suck, the craphole countries that these people come from rank considerably on the Scale of Suckdom.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/18 at 5:18 pm

I 100% relate. I've been done with Anglo pop culture since about 2006 or so. That's when I started learning Japanese ;D

Ever since then I've started learning 3-4 languages. :D (although admittedly I prefer Anglo pop culture over French pop culture, which is the language I'm currently learning.)

In terms of politics, I miss learning Japanese/Korean, the process of it. I miss being able to read e.g. a travel blog and not have to read about politics. I swear French is the last European language I'll learn. I can't stand the low-IQ fâchos that have flooded the Internet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/18 at 5:21 pm

I 100% relate. I've been done with Anglo pop culture since about 2006 or so. That's when I started learning Japanese ;D

Ever since then I've started learning 3-4 languages. :D (although admittedly I prefer Anglo pop culture over French pop culture, which is the language I'm currently learning.)

In terms of politics, I miss learning Japanese/Korean, the process of it. I miss being able to read e.g. a travel blog and not have to read about politics. I swear French is the last European language I'll learn. I can't stand the low-IQ fâchos that have flooded the Internet.

I used to know Japanese at a very basic level. About the only thing I remember now is "Benjo-wa, doko  desu ka?" 

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/18 at 5:29 pm

I used to know Japanese at a very basic level. About the only thing I remember now is "Benjo-wa, doko  desu ka?"

Hmm, "benjo" is new to me. I've been taught "toire" :P

Written By: wixness on 08/04/18 at 5:56 pm

Dunno whether it's cultural fatigue or what but US and British culture seems stale to me. It hasn't offered anything in a long time for me to like in terms of music, movies, and celebrities. I also dislike the arrogance of many American & British celebrities and politicians. Also the way US-sourced music is constantly on 24/7 is annoying when it's no longer good. 8-P I still keep my treasured memories of 80's, 2000's and early 2010's US & UK culture, but lately I couldn't care less for them.

I can't stand the current crop of movie stars and political personalities like Trump, Theresa May and the way they are constantly in our local press. I think Hispanic culture is much more varied - at the least you have more countries to choose from - Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela to name a few. I find Latin American and Spanish culture to have much more in common with Balkan ones, so maybe that's one reason.

Have you felt that maybe it's time to jump ship? I'd guess knowing more languages help in case of burnout? I've studied French but couldn't care less for French culture, always preferred Hispanic one. Now I am learning Spanish and it's great to visit Spanish sites, everything seems brand new and exciting again. I might also learn Swedish as it seems an interesting culture and the grammar's easy. A not very well-known culture to give me variety. Have you ever sought better music/movies/TV etc. in a different culture? :)

I hate the hipster trend and the bland music that's taken over Anglo culture, but sadly, for politics, I feel like the world is getting more and more conservative and authoritarian since Trump got in. Since he got in, it's almost legitimized their views. More and more places worldwide are also putting profit before culture.

I only like Anglo culture still because it's socially liberal, but that's about it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/18 at 6:33 pm

Hmm, "benjo" is new to me. I've been taught "toire" :P

Benjo is considered a more coarse term.  ;D

Written By: christopher on 08/04/18 at 6:42 pm

Yep, Anglo culture sucks big time.

Very few Europeans are going to America these days actually. I deleted my Gmail and emptied the info on my LinkedIn account. I don't trust American websites to care about my privacy after the FB fiasco so I only use ones like inthe00s where I use a nickname and be relatively anonymous. ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/18 at 6:46 pm

Very few Europeans are going to America these days actually. I deleted my Gmail and emptied the info on my LinkedIn account. I don't trust American websites to care about my privacy after the FB fiasco so I only use ones like inthe00s where I use a nickname and be relatively anonymous. ;)

Well the Mexicans and the Guatemalans are quite fond of the colonies.  ;D

Written By: christopher on 08/04/18 at 6:51 pm

I applied for a green card (didn't win) but I actually would've liked 80s USA more.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/18 at 6:57 pm

I applied for a green card (didn't win) but I actually would've liked 80s USA more.

1980's USA rocked. We had unbridled greed, and it was before Michael Jackson had all that plastic surgery.  Jerry Curls were the rage and Dynasty was the big deal, on prime time TV. Good times.  8)

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/04/18 at 7:46 pm

90s.

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/18 at 8:07 pm

Benjo is considered a more coarse term.  ;D

As I've just learnt ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/04/18 at 9:40 pm

I find Hispanic American culture interesting and it is a dream to one day visit Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina.

If I had the money/means I would also wanna visit Morocco, Istanbul, Prague, and try to take in those cultures. I would also love to spend time on a Native American reservation here in the U.S. but again money and time.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/04/18 at 10:44 pm

I can't speak for other Anglo-Influenced countries, but in relation to the United States, in all honestly I think it depends on the region of the country where you're in. In New Jersey for instance, the most common European ancestries are Italian, Irish, Polish, Greek, & Jewish (and by Jewish, I'm mainly talking about the ethnicity, mainly made up of Ashkenazi Jews). So with these ancestries groups, along with the region having a huge Hispanic/Latin Population (made up of mainly Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, & Mexicans) & a rising Middle Eastern/North African demographic I find most of the regional culture is Anglo, but in name only, if that makes any sense.

Obviously, most people speak English, but I find the regional culture to have a more Mediterranean & Latin Influence, rather than an Anglo-Saxon & Germanic influence that may be what most people think of when it comes to the 'standard' American culture. Here in Jersey theres so many Pizzerias, Italian restaurants, Gyro carts, Halal Guys Establishments, Empanada Guys Establishments, & classic Jersey Diners, to keep count of. So perhaps region takes into account on how culture is perceived. The Northeast is known for its diversity, so a 'stale' culture sounds foreign to me.

Written By: christopher on 08/05/18 at 5:39 am

Well I meant culture as in pop culture, but in general the states I actually like are the most xenophobic ones unfortunately. At first I was like woah lets go to the USA, but after a while I was scared I might win the DV because it's much more capitalist than Europe, so not so much social security, people working more than 40 hrs a week to make ends meet. I like the lower taxes over there, but on the other hand I often ask myself, would I like to work more than 40 hours a week? Heck even this is too much hours for the peanuts my former companies paid. ;)

The huge importance of work in the US is a drawback imo (in Europe generally people are more relaxed about work and life in general, especially in the South & Scandinavia) and I find work here too much lol. Also the fact that the states I like (naturewise) have a large proportion that are loud and obnoxious about their religion and guns, so I recently started to be like "No way!"  Reading the posts on GLP sickens me. Every time some kid shoots some ppl in a school they go "Let's arm the teachers!" instead of asking for stricter rules in who gets a gun to begin with and parental supervision. I go like what?! :D Midwestern US is too gun & religion crazy. Europe is far less religious.

But all the liberal, Euro/Latin-like places are either too huge or close to quake-prone areas. San Francisco is great but it's quake-prone so it's out. Same for California. LA and NY are huge and crowded. I like the Midwest and Texas most naturewise, but they're the ones most likely to not accept immigrants as they're the most nationalistic ones. Maybe Chicago is my best bet, but it's very crime-ridden compared to most EU cities. What about Seattle, is it also quake-prone like California? Still, AstroCartoGraphy claims the Midwest is best for me haha. ;D

Written By: aja675 on 08/05/18 at 5:54 am

I actually have a soft spot for it. Like, for me, it's a symbol of rebellion against everyone who told me to stop acting and talking white as a teenager.

Check for new replies or respond here...