inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will longer hair become trendy again?

Written By: christopher on 08/05/18 at 11:34 pm

It was better than the undercut, which I dread. Heck, I even miss Bieber hair, the wings haircut from circa 2009-2014. Here it's either a buzz cut or an undercut. I know they're declining in the USA, but it's still huge here in my part of Europe! It only got big circa second part of 2014 and 2015.

I have this kind of frizzy, thick (lots of volume) and messy naturally wavy hair. Thus an undercut is not achievable. In fact it looks terrible. I have a long, narrow face, so I need more volume to the sides to add wideness to it and not on top! Also, it somehow makes my nose stand out more.

I'm fed up with shaving in a buzz cut. Now I'm growing it out but it looks weird, very nerdy/mousy. And it grows uneven. :) I also look like a hobo with facial hair, so I prefer the clean-shaven look. I loved the way I looked back in 2013 when I got my then-longish hair straightened. It was simple, yet suited me very much. Almost like a very toned-down emo without a fringe.

All of those would not look very flattering on my face shape: http://www.fluxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Cool-Hair-Web-Graphic.jpg

Subject: Re: Will longer hair become trendy again?

Written By: Howard on 08/06/18 at 5:22 am

I think big beards are becoming trendy, not hair.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/18 at 5:25 am

I think the "big" beard look is the next thing in douche style.

Written By: 2001 on 08/06/18 at 3:18 pm

It might one day, but undercut is still king at the moment. And it's a classy haircut too, so I'm not complaining  8)

Written By: xenzue on 08/06/18 at 6:01 pm

Long beards and undercuts been mainstream for at least 8 years now, I mean this is the hipster's decade. If anything they're becoming untrendy.

Long hair is already coming back with the younger generation. Lots of people who started out with the curtained hairstyle are letting it grow out into a bob or even a 90s/70s shoulder length style. There's also that late 00s hairstyle as well as dozens of longer styles associated with skater kids. I think all those styles might go mainstream with Gen Z in a few years.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/06/18 at 6:38 pm

I hope the undercut stays forever.

Nothing like gendered male haircuts.

;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/06/18 at 6:51 pm

I feel like long hair for a man is probably at its most uncool since the 50s outside of a manbun, but I don't care. I haven't had a haircut since June 2017. It is my first time growing my hair long. My hair right now is chin length and wavy/curly and looks pretty 70s, and I have a short beard which I trim every few days with scissors to look groomed. I probably look way uncool but such is life.

Written By: Dundee on 08/06/18 at 7:31 pm

Long hairs are fashionable, but only if you keep them in ponytail. And if course an undercut or a beard with it would be a plus.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/39/b8/b839b8f2249a893c415b1ac640a3088a.jpg

It's better than nothing I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/06/18 at 7:32 pm

Long hairs are fashionable, but only if you keep them in ponytail. And if course an undercut or a beard with it would be a plus.

Do man buns count?

Written By: Howard on 08/07/18 at 7:43 am

I feel like long hair for a man is probably at its most uncool since the 50s outside of a manbun, but I don't care. I haven't had a haircut since June 2017. It is my first time growing my hair long. My hair right now is chin length and wavy/curly and looks pretty 70s, and I have a short beard which I trim every few days with scissors to look groomed. I probably look way uncool but such is life.

Have you thought about getting a haircut? ???

Written By: xris on 08/07/18 at 10:20 am

^^No, not that guy, the beard is too much! I meant more like Harry Styles hair circa 2010 for the curvy version or Zac Efron's hair circa 2003-2009, for the straighter version. 17 Again looks like a totally different era really! I hope some of those longer styles make a comeback.

Most recent styles don't mach my face shape, they make it look too long. It started with the fauxhawk and the undercut followed - both styles that look better if you have a wider face. For a guy with a narrow face like me they look meh. I really loved my hair in 2013 after I got it straightened - it was like 17 Again-era Zac Effron but without the fringe.

The undercut is creating a huge amount of height at the top of the head. Height is not what one wants with an oblong/long/narrow face. We want width. I think this is something to be very aware of if you have a long face and want a short hairstyle. I think I need volume to the sides, so a longer style but straightened as it is too thick. So the 2005-2010 era longer hairstyles match me best.

Narrow and diamond-shaped faces with wavy/curly hair are advised to grow them out longer: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/mens-hairstyles-for-face-shapes
TLDR: What suits your face shape is not always what's popular.

Written By: ofkx on 08/08/18 at 8:44 pm

This picture makes me literally so angry for some reason. Waaaaay too much hair on one head.

Written By: 2001 on 08/08/18 at 8:49 pm

Long hair looks good if you cover it with a hat ;D

Me @ some of these hot tennis players at the Rogers Cup.  :-X

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 9:56 pm

Something about the undercut screams "I'm a posh hipster wannabe and I'm better than you".

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/08/18 at 10:18 pm

Something about the undercut screams "I'm a posh hipster wannabe and I'm better than you".

Sorry. Better to be a hipster wannabe than plain and eat boxed dinners, shop at Wal-mart, travel abroad only in Mexico and the Caribbean, and eat at olive garden when we want to eat "authentic Italian cuisine".

Written By: Howard on 08/09/18 at 5:38 am

This picture makes me literally so angry for some reason. Waaaaay too much hair on one head.

needs a haircut.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/18 at 9:18 am

It was better than the undercut, which I dread. Heck, I even miss Bieber hair, the wings haircut from circa 2009-2014. Here it's either a buzz cut or an undercut. I know they're declining in the USA, but it's still huge here in my part of Europe! It only got big circa second part of 2014 and 2015.

I have this kind of frizzy, thick (lots of volume) and messy naturally wavy hair. Thus an undercut is not achievable. In fact it looks terrible. I have a long, narrow face, so I need more volume to the sides to add wideness to it and not on top! Also, it somehow makes my nose stand out more.

I'm fed up with shaving in a buzz cut. Now I'm growing it out but it looks weird, very nerdy/mousy. And it grows uneven. :) I also look like a hobo with facial hair, so I prefer the clean-shaven look. I loved the way I looked back in 2013 when I got my then-longish hair straightened. It was simple, yet suited me very much. Almost like a very toned-down emo without a fringe.

All of those would not look very flattering on my face shape: http://www.fluxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Cool-Hair-Web-Graphic.jpg

Yeah, I missed those days when long hair and a clean face on guys was trendy.

I'm not a fan of this and short hair on guys. It makes me feel like that religious fundamentalists who are intent on forcing men to grow beards, homeless people, hipsters and lumberjacks have taken over. Makes me hate being a guy more considering it seems like that guys have to express themselves a certain way to look appealing, again.

I hope the undercut stays forever.

Nothing like gendered male haircuts.

;D

::)
Yeah, I don't like the 2010s because fashion looks so damn gendered. It all seems hypocritical, almost a waste, when humanity has had the best LGBT rights so far in the world.

Written By: xris on 08/09/18 at 11:05 am

I don't care about gendered vs non-gendered. I just like longer hair on me, so want it to come back. I don't think it's effeminate, it's just unisex.
In fact when I see a male who has an undercut I get gay vibes and think he'll hit on me lol so I prepare mentally for teling him "Excuse me man, but I like girls".
I have nothing against gay ppl, but it's so funny how some guys think they look hetero while sporting a gay hairstyle. ;D

In addition to nazis, the undercut was worn by rich, effeminate, posh men, many of whom bisexual or homosexual. Many of them were just as morally bankrupt as the Nazis. No, not because of their sexuality, but because they abused their (often inhereted) wealth and treated their workers like slaves. By the way girls also find it looks gay. Hipsters themselves are total jerks and douches. So why would I sport a hairstyle that will make me look like someone that abuses people to gain money and show a luxurious lifestyle? Or a Nazi? Or a hipster? There are so many hipsters in Prague I started hating the place.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/18 at 11:46 am

I don't care about gendered vs non-gendered. I just like longer hair on me, so want it to come back. I don't think it's effeminate, it's just unisex.
In fact when I see a male who has an undercut I get gay vibes and think he'll hit on me lol so I prepare mentally for teling him "Excuse me man, but I like girls".
I have nothing against gay ppl, but it's so funny how some guys think they look hetero while sporting a gay hairstyle. ;D

In addition to nazis, the undercut was worn by rich, effeminate, posh men, many of whom bisexual or homosexual. Many of them were just as morally bankrupt as the Nazis. No, not because of their sexuality, but because they abused their (often inhereted) wealth and treated their workers like slaves. By the way girls also find it looks gay.
I dislike it in general, because guys = short hair, and girls = long hair for the majority of people worldwide.

Hipsters themselves are total jerks and douches. So why would I sport a hairstyle that will make me look like someone that abuses people to gain money and show a luxurious lifestyle? Or a Nazi? Or a hipster? There are so many hipsters in Prague I started hating the place.
I feel you. I live in a small town that's dominated by office workers and hipsters. I only like their pursuit of socially responsible living but I dislike their aesthetic taste, which goes to their bland music and gendered fashion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/09/18 at 11:56 am

I don't know and I don't think that it should matter. People can wear their hair however they want, why do you need for it to be trendy?

I can't grow long hair and even if I could, I would look very weird with long hair ;D.

I like my natural hair texture and length.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/18 at 12:06 pm

I don't know and I don't think that it should matter. People can wear their hair however they want, why do you need for it to be trendy?

I can't grow long hair and even if I could, I would look very weird with long hair ;D .

IDK, it's kind of giving my parents an excuse to have it cut? Then again, I could take better care of my hair.

Written By: xris on 08/09/18 at 12:14 pm

I hate the notion that you're uncool unless you have an undercut.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/18 at 3:12 pm

I hate the notion that you're uncool unless you have an undercut.
Absolutely. Same with the beard thing. It's a shame religious figures want men to have it as well in the name of religion or against homosexuality.

Written By: annimal on 08/09/18 at 3:22 pm

I think the ponytail looks stupid on him.  They look better on girls 

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/09/18 at 3:24 pm

I can't grow long hair and even if I could, I would look very weird with long hair ;D.

I KNOW right?! My hair is short right now because I need to grow out the damaged part from processing. Not that there needs to be a reason. I've run into plenty of men with long hair regardless of what's "in" and some look good with it, some don't. I think it's best to follow the advice of do what's flattering not what's in fashion and you'll always look nice.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/09/18 at 3:25 pm

I think the ponytail looks stupid on him.  They look better on girls

The ponytail looks fine, but the beard needs to go. It's overdone. He needs to brush his hair though.

Written By: 2001 on 08/09/18 at 4:01 pm

I KNOW right?! My hair is short right now because I need to grow out the damaged part from processing. Not that there needs to be a reason. I've run into plenty of men with long hair regardless of what's "in" and some look good with it, some don't. I think it's best to follow the advice of do what's flattering not what's in fashion and you'll always look nice.

Your last sentence is so true.

I tried the sportsy-baseball look in the spring and it was so bad. I went back to being a hipster ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 7:36 am

People just want to be with the "in crowd".

Written By: wixness on 08/10/18 at 10:03 am

People just want to be with the "in crowd".
Sadly there's others that want outsiders to be with the "in crowd" even if said outsiders are fine being outsiders.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/11/18 at 2:20 pm

Sadly there's others that want outsiders to be with the "in crowd" even if said outsiders are fine being outsiders.

There will come a time when you get too old to care about the "in crowd" and just do what you want. You shouldn't worry so much about it at all.

Written By: xris on 08/11/18 at 2:32 pm

Yeah, I mostly don't care, the thing is people where I live are very into discrimination people and fitting into cliques. It's part of the culture here.
Btw I did some photoshop on my photo and strangely, I look more masculine with a long hair. ???

Written By: wixness on 08/11/18 at 3:37 pm

There will come a time when you get too old to care about the "in crowd" and just do what you want. You shouldn't worry so much about it at all.
My parents ask me if what I'm wearing is "in". They think I'm doing it to fit in.

Written By: 2001 on 08/11/18 at 5:50 pm

My parents ask me if what I'm wearing is "in". They think I'm doing it to fit in.

Don't worry, my parents ask me that all the time too. "You're wearing flipflops and sweatpants and you haven't shaved in how long? Is that what's fashionable these days?" ;D

Written By: wixness on 08/12/18 at 7:36 am

Don't worry, my parents ask me that all the time too. "You're wearing flipflops and sweatpants and you haven't shaved in how long? Is that what's fashionable these days?" ;D
At least you like 2010s men's fashion trends. I don't.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/12/18 at 11:42 am

Guys. Look...

Love long hair on guys (sorry to make this racial but I doubt black guys are being thought of in this conversation lol) all you want, but just because a group of people like short hair and beards on males doesn't mean they hate femininity, feminine men, gender-bending, or are religious.

Written By: wixness on 08/12/18 at 2:13 pm

Guys. Look...

Love long hair on guys (sorry to make this racial but I doubt black guys are being thought of in this conversation lol) all you want, but just because a group of people like short hair and beards on males doesn't mean they hate femininity, feminine men, gender-bending, or are religious.

I don't know but other people have recommended me the style I hate. If it's cool, they're more likely to want to see other people wearing it. I just feel pathetic with short hair and looking visibly masculine.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/18 at 2:18 pm

Why do you feel the need to fit in? ???

Written By: wixness on 08/12/18 at 2:37 pm

Why do you feel the need to fit in? ???
I don't, but probably to make sure I don't make my parents more mad at me, which I don't like. This is even though I don't really trust my parents with a lot of personal things due to possibly conflicting personal beliefs.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/12/18 at 5:03 pm

I don't know but other people have recommended me the style I hate. If it's cool, they're more likely to want to see other people wearing it. I just feel pathetic with short hair and looking visibly masculine.

Do you think you might have a form of gender dysphoria?

Written By: wixness on 08/12/18 at 5:14 pm

Do you think you might have a form of gender dysphoria?
Maybe but I'm unwilling to accept it for personal reasons.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/18 at 5:40 am

What do you think your parents want you to wear? ???

Written By: wixness on 08/13/18 at 6:42 am

What do you think your parents want you to wear? ???
To have my hair short and basically to look more decent in certain situations. Guys clothes don't seem appealing to me although when I was younger, I wasn't a fan of sleeveless tops. Now, this has changed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/18 at 6:51 am

Long hair will become trendy again during the winter months in order to keep warm. Short hair was popular during the heatwave months.

Written By: xris on 08/13/18 at 6:53 am

Riven, maybe NoFap can help you? Some guys on it report the gender dysphoria-like feelings disappearing. But that only helps in cases where it's caused by hormonal reasons.

Written By: wixness on 08/13/18 at 6:58 am

Riven, maybe NoFap can help you? Some guys on it report the gender dysphoria-like feelings disappearing. But that only helps in cases where it's caused by hormonal reasons.
Might give it a try, I don't know.

Written By: 2001 on 08/13/18 at 7:49 am

NoFap is quack science.  :-X

Masturbating is healthy as long as it doesn't hurt your self-confidence or cause erectile dysfunction.  8)

Long hair will become trendy again during the winter months in order to keep warm. Short hair was popular during the heatwave months.

Or people just wear a toque :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/18 at 7:54 am

Or people just wear a toque :P

Indeed.

Written By: xris on 08/13/18 at 8:04 am

Masturbating is healthy as long as it doesn't hurt your self-confidence or cause erectile dysfunction.  8)

Huh, I didn't want to share this as it's too personal, but masturbating makes me turn asexual. I literally lose all my desires if I engage in it and girls turn invisible/unattractive if I do it too often. I also become depressed if I do it too often. I've post orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS).

Written By: wixness on 08/13/18 at 8:40 am

Huh, I didn't want to share this as it's too personal, but masturbating makes me turn asexual. I literally lose all my desires if I engage in it and girls turn invisible/unattractive if I do it too often. I also become depressed if I do it too often. I've post orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS).
Kind of the same here.

Check for new replies or respond here...