inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does more recent nostalgia displace childhood nostalgia?

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 6:00 am

People that spent their childhood in the 50s miss the 60s-70s and even the 80s more today.  I am more nostalgic for 2008-2014 than most of the 2000s and the 90s now look so long ago to me, like a different lifetime  (born in 1988). I was mainly listening to 80s music in the 90s but I miss the hits I listened to in 2008-2014 (either current or old ones). So I miss Shy Boy by Bananarama, Lorde's Royals and Gotye's STIUTK more than 80s songs I was listening to as a kid and teen. The summers of 2012 and 2013 are more recent and feel more fresh and clear in my mind. I barely remember pop culture in the 90s and early 2000s save for telenovelas. It's like a haze. :)

Subject: Re: Does more recent nostalgia displace childhood nostalgia?

Written By: Dundee on 08/08/18 at 7:04 am

Finally somehow not shaming to have nostalgia for the 2010s despite living through the 90s!! How refreshing!!!
I guess it all depends on personal sitatuations. My mom for instance was born in the mid-70s and she probably has the most nostalgia for the 2000s when she was a happy mom with young me :)

On my side I probably have more nostalgia towards the late 2000s and mid 2010s (yes how shoking :o) than early-mid 2000s, and my only reaction would be:
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohzdNua3mapaX0fcI/giphy.gif

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 7:14 am

Lol I miss some of the early mid 00s - 2000 and 2003. But 2001-2002 were terrible, I was abused at school, my grandma started acting mad and died in late 2002. To date 2002 pop music is dark for me but most sounds more dated in a bad way (the 80s and early 2010s are dated in a good way).

2003 was a very happy year. 2004 was kinda good too. I started liking new pop culture in 2008 and liked it until 2014. My other grandma died in 2012 but I liked that summer and she lived away in the country so I wasn't as affected. I was also very happy in 2013 and first half of 2014.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/08/18 at 8:15 am

Lol I miss some of the early mid 00s - 2000 and 2003. But 2001-2002 were terrible, I was abused at school, my grandma started acting mad and died in late 2002. To date 2002 pop music is dark for me but most sounds more dated in a bad way (the 80s and early 2010s are dated in a good way).

2003 was a very happy year. 2004 was kinda good too. I started liking new pop culture in 2008 and liked it until 2014. My other grandma died in 2012 but I liked that summer and she lived away in the country so I wasn't as affected. I was also very happy in 2013 and first half of 2014.
Oh nice, most 88 borns crap on the mid 00s because of Emo and Snap music. People your birth year were the main ones touting for 90s nostalgia back in the Early 10s because you guys were finishing college on the fringes of the great recession. It's nice to see someone your age liking the 10s and the 2nd half of the 00s.

Written By: 2001 on 08/08/18 at 9:46 am

Not for me yet. I love the 2010s but I still love the late '90s/early 2000s too.

Maybe it's because I don't really have "nostalgia" for the 2010s yet as it is still recent and ongoing. :P

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/18 at 10:28 am

I would say so.  I used to be extremely nostalgic for the mid-late '90s (my preteen and early teen years) but my nostalgia for that era really started to fade in the late '00s.  I would say my nostalgia for the late '90s was as intense as my nostalgia for my early twenties today.  By around 2007 though, life had just changed so much since then that I didn't really feel the kind of connection to my preteen and early teen years as I once did.  Today, I'll do my occasional nostalgia trip back to that era but for the most part, I don't really think about it that much anymore.  I'm starting to become the same way regarding the Y2K era.  I was extremely nostalgic for the Y2K era during the early '10s.  Nowadays I don't feel a lot of connection to the Y2K era and feel that was a completely different world.  I've never been real nostalgic for the mid 2000s (my college years).  I would say the farthest back I feel like I have a connection to enough to experience deep nostalgia for today is the late '00s.  I would say I'm most nostalgic for 2007-early 2012.  The mid '10s were the worst time of my life and I'm not too nostalgic for anything 2013 through about mid 2016.

I've found my deepest nostalgia are for eras of my life that still are very different yet I still feel some connection to and also times that I look back on as being superior to the present.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/08/18 at 10:34 am

I would say so.  I used to be extremely nostalgic for the mid-late '90s (my preteen and early teen years) but my nostalgia for that era really started to fade in the late '00s.  Life had just changed so much since then that I didn't really feel the kind of connection to those years as I once did.  Today, I'll do my occasional nostalgia trip back to that era but for the most part, I don't really think about it that much anymore.  I'm starting to become the same way regarding the Y2K era.  I was extremely nostalgic for the Y2K era during the early '10s.  Nowadays I don't feel a lot of connection to the Y2K era.  I've never been real nostalgic for the mid 2000s (my college years).  I would say the farthest back I feel like I have a connection to enough to experience deep nostalgia for is the late '00s.  I would say I'm most nostalgic for 2007-early 2012.  The mid '10s were the worst time of my life and I'm not too nostalgic for anything 2013 through about mid 2016.
Simlar with me I was nostalgic for the early 00s from 09-14 then my mid 00s nostalga began in 2015 and every since last year I been nostagic about the late 00s. I more nostaglic for the 2nd half of the 00s than the frist half.

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 10:58 am

I miss some things from 1992-1994, in my country those were the first democratic years since decades! The optimism of that time was great. It was kinda unstable poilitcally, yet exciting, Then again I was a carefree kid so economy and politics didn't matter much. I was the first democratic generation kids, lol. We were the first to watch loads of American TV and movies, Sesame Street, Chip n Dale, Duck Tales, Pooh, TMNT cartoon, Jurassic Park, The Land Before Time, The Lion Kind, reruns of ALF, Roseanne, Grace Under Fire, The Bold and the Beautiful, Dallas, etc. The first Western cars started appearing on roads. We were the first to play with western-sourced toys (trolls!). By comparison, the late 90's-early 2000s it was not as exciting and fresh anymore. I miss those things, but lots of them are available on DVDs or online, so I can access them.

The mid/late 90s were meh personally. Good, but nothing special and I didn't listen to much 90's music anyway. Ditto for most of the early 00s. 2002 was terribly bad personally. 2003 was great, 2004 quite good. 2005-mid 2008 were mediocre as pop culture imo (but there were some great jems like Stickwitu!), kinda so-so personally. 2009-2011 had great music, 2012 was very very catchy. 2013-2014 hits somehow were less catchy, save for some Eurovision '13 songs and local ones. But I'd say most songs were more moody compared to most 2012 hits. Somehow Summer '12 had more catchy, memorable care-free tunes than Summer '13 & '14. Too many personal struggles in late 2014-early 2018 to care really. I miss the emo culture of the second part of the 00's but not so much the mainstream hits with some exceptions. If you count 2004 as a mid 00s year, it had the best pop hits imo. One Tree Hill, Friends, Just Shoot Me, a rerun of Married with Children and the OC were huge here in 2003-2009.

Btw I am envious of late 2000s and early 2010s teenagers. They had a cool time. I mean the 90s were great but their childhoods were so fresh and new and more memorabilia exists as they're from the digital era. Especially much more photos from back then exist. Also the late 2000s teens could sport emo hair. I was already in uni by 2007 so it was deemed not appropriate for my age. Those that gradated h.d. in 2009-2014 deffinitely had better prom music than us (I still think 2006-2007 music was not particularly good when it comes to pop and dance music. Lucky You is a terrible song.)

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/08/18 at 12:04 pm

Yeah it's happened to me. When I was 17/18 I was nostalgic for my childhood. Now that I'm in my mid 20s I'm more nostalgic for my high school years. I really don't care about my childhood anymore lol. I never thought I'd be nostalgic for the late 2000s/early 2010s but I am.

Crazy 2002 was a crappy year for my personal life too. But it is my favorite year pop culturally of the early 2000s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/08/18 at 12:06 pm

Btw I am envious of late 2000s and early 2010s teenagers. They had a cool time.

Yeah we did have a pretty cool time overall.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/08/18 at 1:44 pm

Yeah we did have a pretty cool time overall.
I felt the same way mid 00s teens because they had myspace, AOL and very early Youtube.

Check for new replies or respond here...