inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Snapchat sheds users for the first time

Written By: 2001 on 08/08/18 at 2:56 pm

More bad news for social media giants. While Facebook's growth slowed down, and Twitter lost users (though mostly bots), Snapchat's decline probably doesn't come as a surprise to most people, with growth stagnant for most of 2017, the bungled release of the redesign earlier this year, and fierce competition from Instagram. The young social media platform can probably still make a turnaround.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snap-snapchat-earnings-1.4776852

Snap loses users for the first time, beats on revenue

Snap Inc.'s Snapchat app unexpectedly lost users in the second quarter, the company said on Tuesday, likely adding fuel to investor fears about slowing growth in the social media sector.

Daily users fell to 188 million from 191 million in the prior quarter, which could heighten investor anxiety about how competition and privacy issues are affecting Snap and its peers.

The company beat analyst revenue forecasts as it drew in more international and small business advertisers and posted a narrower-than-expected quarterly loss.

Snap had never before logged a quarterly drop in users, according to data it has released going back to 2014. Analysts on average expected Snap to gain nearly 2 million users in the second quarter from the first quarter, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Snap's user growth has pulled back sharply over the past two years. Much larger rival Facebook has replicated Snapchat features such as virtual animal ear filters for selfies and the "stories" format for sharing content.

Subject: Re: Snapchat sheds users for the first time

Written By: mqg96 on 08/08/18 at 4:45 pm

Snapchat has been on huge decline since that major update and change back in February I believe, and it hasn't been the same ever since. Now if there's any social media platform that's going to die soon, it's definitely Snapchat!

Written By: ofkx on 08/08/18 at 8:42 pm

What's with the sudden backlash against social media? I mean I get why there would be a backlash against Facebook but why the other platforms?

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/08/18 at 9:17 pm

What's with the sudden backlash against social media? I mean I get why there would be a backlash against Facebook but why the other platforms?

As long as the technology exists and a fascist government doesn't abolish it, I think social media will always be relevant but...

I don't facebook the way I used to back in 2008-2013. Since then, I've been on social media on and off. I never got into twitter, snapchat, or Instagram. I wonder if most other core millennials as averse to those platforms as I am. Eventually, I realized I'm pretty much getting the same thing when I get on there. My friend's more or less post the same crap, even if it is entertaining.

Written By: xris on 08/08/18 at 9:53 pm

Why? Privacy concerns, stalking, cyber bullying, Internet addiction. Having a rare name sucks in this age. Besides it sucks to see so many ppl living a great life offline while you waste your time at home on your phone. I'm prone to Web and news addiction.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/08/18 at 10:12 pm

Why? Privacy concerns, stalking, cyber bullying, Internet addiction. Having a rare name sucks in this age. Besides it sucks to see so many ppl living a great life offline while you waste your time at home on your phone. I'm prone to Web and news addiction.

haha. This is a big one. I've been spending months saving for a big trip and whenever I go on Facebook, it seems like some of my friends are going on big trips every other weekend....like damn...when I'm off work, I just wanna stay in bed all weekend. Where are they finding the money and energy?

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/08/18 at 11:02 pm

haha. This is a big one. I've been spending months saving for a big trip and whenever I go on Facebook, it seems like some of my friends are going on big trips every other weekend....like damn...when I'm off work, I just wanna stay in bed all weekend. Where are they finding the money and energy?

Haha you know that 90% of people on there are just Facebook stuntin right?  ;D People tend to create a life online that looks more exciting than their actual lives. I always tell people not to let their friends on social media get them down because we don't know how their life really is behind closed doors.  ;D

Written By: Dundee on 08/09/18 at 4:13 am

Ono so many ghost users
http://i.hilariousgifs.com/ghost-snapchat-dog-filter.gif

Written By: Howard on 08/09/18 at 5:35 am

perhaps they have good jobs that they make a lot of money to go on those trips.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/18 at 5:37 am

Ono so many ghost users
http://i.hilariousgifs.com/ghost-snapchat-dog-filter.gif

Those people have nothing better to do. ;D

Written By: Wobo on 08/09/18 at 8:45 pm

Lol nobody cares.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/09/18 at 8:49 pm

perhaps they have good jobs that they make a lot of money to go on those trips.

Yeah. I thought that. And you know what? That's probably the case. Either that or they have a significant other that makes a lot of money.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/09/18 at 8:50 pm

Haha you know that 90% of people on there are just Facebook stuntin right?  ;D People tend to create a life online that looks more exciting than their actual lives. I always tell people not to let their friends on social media get them down because we don't know how their life really is behind closed doors.  ;D

I know. I went to Maui one time and rubbed it in all my friend's faces by posting all the locations and pictures on Facebook. I loved it.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 7:30 am

Yeah. I thought that. And you know what? That's probably the case. Either that or they have a significant other that makes a lot of money.

I only make enough money for me go either food or some clothes shopping.

Check for new replies or respond here...