inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody else no longer a Star Wars fan after 'The Last Jedi'?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/18 at 5:06 pm

Star Wars was a big part of my life from around 5th grade when I saw the original trilogy for the first time up through 2017.

In 1997, my dad took me to see the 20th anniversary Special Edition version of the classic trilogy and I fell in love with it.  Shortly after, I watched the original version of the classic trilogy on VHS.  I was so enamored by it I started writing my own Star Wars fan fiction.  Needless to say, I was very stoked for the prequel trilogy.  And despite the negative perception that the prequels received, I loved the prequel trilogy almost as much as the classic trilogy.  Yes, they had their moments of poor acting, over-reliance on CGI, Jar Jar Binks, and there were plenty of other things that could have been done much better, but they were still fun movies and very much had that 'Star Wars' feel I had grown to love.  Going to the midnight showing of Episode III - Revenge of the Sith in 2005 was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.  I was in total awe when I left the theater.  I was also pretty heavily into Star Wars video games.  Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I and II were landmark video games in my life.  Fast forward a few years and we have the Clone Wars cartoon, which reignites my interest in Star Wars.  I really liked the Dave Filoni Clone Wars cartoon as it plugged up a lot of plot holes from the prequel trilogy.

When Disney bought the franchise in 2012, I was cautiously optimistic.  I really liked what Disney had done with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and thought that if Star Wars got the same kind of treatment, it would be in good hands.  And the initial Disney content did not disappoint.  Star Wars Rebels was a great cartoon and helped bridge the gap between the prequel trilogy and the classic trilogy.  I purchased my tickets for The Force Awakens the moment they became available.  The Force Awakens was a little too much like A New Hope when you get down to it but it was still a fun movie to watch and kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through.  Rogue One wasn't necessary in my opinion but I think it was done very well and it was worth it for the Darth Vader scene at the end.  Then we get to The Last Jedi, which in essence killed my love for the franchise.  I was so disappointed in the direction that the story took and how they handled Luke Skywalker that since December 2017, I have not cared about Star Wars.  I haven't even seen the new Solo movie yet and don't even own a copy of The Last Jedi.  Star Wars is dead to me and I don't care about Episode IX or any of the future movies.  Disney has also oversaturated the market with Star Wars, making each new release less special than the previous one.

At this point for me, Star Wars will always be the classic trilogy, the prequels, the Dave Filoni Clone Wars cartoon, and the early 2000s era video games.  I've placed it entirely within the realm of nostalgia and will likely only revisit it when taking a trip down memory lane, not too different from how I will occasionally rewatch old Mighty Morphin Power Rangers episodes.

Does anybody else feel the same way?  Did The Last Jedi ruin Star Wars for anybody else?

Subject: Re: Anybody else no longer a Star Wars fan after 'The Last Jedi'?

Written By: John Titor on 08/10/18 at 5:07 pm

The woman in charge of star wars is being fired by Disney

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 5:11 pm

The problem with me is that God blessed (or cursed) me with too much patience.

I'll give Star Wars at least one more chance, though. If the next movie sucks, then.....  :-\\  :-\\  :-\\

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/10/18 at 5:31 pm

I wouldn't quite say that Star Wars has been ruined for me, but after seeing Last Jedi, I'm not really looking forward  to seeing the next movie. I still like everything before it though.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/10/18 at 5:38 pm

I was never a Star Wars fan to begin with lol.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 6:50 pm

The woman in charge of star wars is being fired by Disney

When are you going to confront your issues with women?

Written By: John Titor on 08/10/18 at 7:38 pm

When are you going to confront your issues with women?

I am a Woman idiot

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 7:50 pm

I am a Woman idiot

haha. That doesn't mean you don't have issues with women.

Aren't you the one going on and on in that one thread about that crappy movie decrying reverse sexism?

Written By: John Titor on 08/10/18 at 7:53 pm

haha. That doesn't mean you don't have issues with women.

Aren't you the one going on and on in that one thread about that crappy movie decrying reverse sexism?

I quoted about the woman who is the CEO in charge of Star Wars is being fired by Bob Iger at Disney, what does that
have to do with anything?

That movie (That flopped btw) did have reverse sexism, what does that have to do with me quoting the Ceo being fired?

I have just reported your account for trying to start trouble in this thread.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 7:55 pm

I quoted about the woman who is the CEO in charge of Star Wars is being fired by Bob Iger at Disney, what does that
have to do with anything?

That movie (That flopped btw) did have reverse sexism, what does that have to do with me quoting the Ceo being fired?

Did you even see the movie?

I just notice a pattern with you referring to women negatively. That's all.

Written By: John Titor on 08/10/18 at 7:58 pm

Did you even see the movie?

I just notice a pattern with you referring to women negatively. That's all.

I did see the movie

1) I am a woman

2) I noticed a pattern of you harassing me so please stop it's creepy and I am reporting you for a 4th time

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 7:59 pm

Anyway, I'm still a Star Wars fan. The Last Jedi was a complete mess. But enough to destroy a franchise I've loved since at least 97? Nope. The prequels were enough to destroy Star Wars...until The Force Awakens came out. I still have hope that the next movie can salvage this trilogy if they do it right.

Also, Solo wasn't bad at all.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 8:02 pm

I did see the movie

1) I am a woman

2) I noticed a pattern of you harassing me so please stop it's creepy and I am reporting you for a 4th time

That's cool, Titor. Let's agree to never reply or refer to each other's posts.

And a 4th time? They must not think I'm doing something too wrong.

Written By: John Titor on 08/10/18 at 8:06 pm

That's cool, Titor. Let's agree to never reply or refer to each other's posts.

And a 4th time? They must not think I'm doing something too wrong.

Stop harassing me please

Check for new replies or respond here...