inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thousands of Swedes are implanting microchips into their bodies

Written By: 2001 on 08/10/18 at 8:16 pm

Fascinatingly terrifying stuff :o

http://uk.businessinsider.com/swedish-people-embed-microchips-under-skin-to

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/thousands-of-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-into-themselves-heres-why

Thousands of Swedes are having microchips implanted into their bodies so that they don't need to carry key cards, IDs, and even train tickets.

About 3,000 people in Sweden have inserted a microchip - which is as tiny as a grain of rice - under their skin over the past three years, Agence France-Presse reported. The technology was first used in the country in 2015.

The implants have already helped replace the need for a host of daily necessities. Ulrika Celsing's microchip, which is in her hand, has replaced her gym card and office key card. When she enters her workplace, the 28-year-old simply waves her hand near a small box and types in a code before the doors open, AFP said.

Last year, the state-owned SJ rail line started scanning the hands of passengers with biometric chips to collect their train fare while on board.

More information:

Some have suggested that Sweden’s strong welfare state may be the cause of this recent trend. But actually, the factors behind why roughly 3,500 Swedes have had microchips implanted in them are more complex than you might expect. This phenomenon reflects Sweden’s unique biohacking scene. If you look underneath the surface, Sweden’s love affair with all things digital goes much deeper than these microchips.

The term biohackers refers to those amateur biologists who conduct experiments in biomedicine, but do so outside of traditional institutions – such as universities, medical companies and other scientifically controlled environments. Just as computer hackers hack computers, biohackers hack anything biological.

Biohacking is also a culture and a diverse one, with many different subgroups – all with different types of interests, goals and ideologies. But within this diversity there are two main groups: “wetware hackers” and transhumanists.

Wetware hackers are citizen science hobby biologists who build laboratory equipment from household utensils. They conduct so called “frugal science”, where they find inexpensive solutions that will improve the living standards for people in developing countries. But they also do more playful experiments where plants are genetically modified to become fluorescent, or algae is used to make new types of beer.

The other group are the transhumanists, who focus on enhancing and improving the human body – with the aim, in the long run, of improving the human race. Only through bettering ourselves – and escaping biological boundaries – will humans be able to compete with AI in the future.

Often, different biohacking scenes reflect the different societies and cultures in which they develop. So, for example, European biohackers generally differ from their North American counterparts. North American groups are concerned with developing alternatives to the established healthcare practices. European groups, meanwhile, are more focused on finding ways of helping people in developing countries or engaging in artistic bio-projects.

But Swedish biohacking culture actually differs from the rest of Europe. Swedish biohackers are generally part of the transhumanist movement. And it is the transhumanists – or more specifically the subgroup “grinders” – who have been inserting NFC chips somewhere between the thumb and the index finger of thousands of Swedes. These are the same microchips that have been used for decades to track animals and packages.

Subject: Re: Thousands of Swedes are inserting microchips into their bodies

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 8:19 pm

The Left Behind series warned me about this!

The rapture is coming soon!

Written By: 2001 on 08/10/18 at 8:23 pm

The Left Behind series warned me about this!

The rapture is coming soon!

There are actually some Christians who are saying that these microchips are the "the mark of the beast" foretold in the rapture ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 8:31 pm

There are actually some Christians who are saying that these microchips are the "the mark of the beast" foretold in the rapture ;D

I went through a very embarrassing phase in 2000 where I became a convert after reading some of the Left Behind books and got to know the whole Christian rapture movement up close and personal.

Microchips under the skin was a huge part of it.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/18 at 9:03 pm

I went through a very embarrassing phase in 2000 where I became a convert after reading some of the Left Behind books and got to know the whole Christian rapture movement up close and personal.

Microchips under the skin was a huge part of it.

I grew up believing this.  Every Democratic politician who was popular was the anti-Christ.  First it was Bill Clinton.  Then it was Tom Daschle (the early frontrunner for the Democrats in 2004).  Then it was Obama.  Now nobody is talking about the anti-Christ anymore and instead it's about how Trump is Cyrus, somebody who is restoring the church to a position of power over society.

As for microchips under the skin, I still am not super comfortable with it even though I am no longer Christian.  Some effects of the indoctrination linger.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/10/18 at 9:15 pm

I grew up believing this.  Every Democratic politician who was popular was the anti-Christ.  First it was Bill Clinton.  Then it was Tom Daschle (the early frontrunner for the Democrats in 2004).  Then it was Obama.  Now nobody is talking about the anti-Christ anymore and instead it's about how Trump is Cyrus, somebody who is restoring the church to a position of power over society.

As for microchips under the skin, I still am not super comfortable with it even though I am no longer Christian.  Some effects of the indoctrination linger.

I don't think it's indoctrination. Microchips under the skin for human beings seems invasive and creepy.

btw, sorry for getting your thread locked.

Subject: Re: Thousands of Swedes are implanting microchips into their bodies

Written By: ofkx on 08/11/18 at 12:32 am

That's stupid as f*ck. Imagine willingly putting something in your body that will make people track you literally anywhere and know everything about you 8-P.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/11/18 at 12:43 am

All Christians, but not every Christian is aware of it though. The "mark of the beast" verse is clearly in the Bible. The microchips are going to start slow with the ability to only do a few things, and they will make sure the mainstream and public becomes comfortable with it to the point where it'll eventually become a necessity in our lives, but like any technology, it's going to go through updates and upgrades and eventually the government will be able to track you down with it and hack through your microchip and control people (like real life brainwashing). Imagine being half computerized and half human. The microchip could be installed in your body. Ever heard of "biohacking"? Go look it up.

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/18 at 7:17 pm

All Christians, but not every Christian is aware of it though. The "mark of the beast" verse is clearly in the Bible. The microchips are going to start slow with the ability to only do a few things, and they will make sure the mainstream and public becomes comfortable with it to the point where it'll eventually become a necessity in our lives, but like any technology, it's going to go through updates and upgrades and eventually the government will be able to track you down with it and hack through your microchip and control people (like real life brainwashing). Imagine being half computerized and half human. The microchip could be installed in your body. Ever heard of "biohacking"? Go look it up.

"Biohacking" is right in the OP!

I think the concept of transhumanism is really fascinating. It kind of defines my relation with my smartphone (I feel like it is an extra organ and feel lost without it sometimes). I think having something like a calculator or a note taking app right inside my brain would be extremely useful. ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/29/18 at 11:21 pm

It begins...

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/30/18 at 8:23 am

Back in 2012 I actually a short paranoid phase where I thought Facebook would actually eventually become the mark of the beast. It seems now since Facebook is looking to team up with banks in order to get a hold of people's Financial information I might just quit Facebook, mark of the beast or not!  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/30/18 at 1:23 pm

That's stupid as f*ck. Imagine willingly putting something in your body that will make people track you literally anywhere and know everything about you 8-P.

I know, it does feel creepy but it might work.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/30/18 at 3:15 pm

This is seriously creepy :o. I also grew up in a Protestant household. So I'm aware of the fear of the rapture, and hows its believed that the 'anti-Christ' would utilize chip technology to track & brainwash people. In a way, we already have that now with the NSA & various other government agencies (aka the, 'deep state'). Regardless if you're religious or not, the idea of transhumanism being so readily available in my lifetime is very startling.

First thing that comes to mind about this philosophical question of "What Exactly Is Life?", is the 1995 classic Ghost In The Shell

TJ6hkzKVYQg

What's funny is that this film actually takes place in the Late 2020s. While I doubt that we will make great strides in biotechnology to the levels portrayed in this film within a decade, it definitely does show how close & real a supposed world where transhumanism is status quo is.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/30/18 at 4:48 pm

Yes, I remember years and years ago a little girl used this as part of her sales pitch for why I'm going to hell and should convert.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/18 at 5:14 pm

You'd be surprised. There are people would go for this in a minute. What a sad commentary on society. There seems to be no end to those misguided people who will do anything for "convenience". Or for the "convenience" of having "everything at our fingertips". This is what has lead to things like Spotify. Rather than owning one's own music, for example, which is nobody else's business and nobody need know about,  it places everything in the hands of the "Overlord" who is keeping track of every single thing. Not to mention the Overlord reguritates it it right back at you via algorithms, telling you what you "should" be listening to, because it fits a pattern. Or what they think is a pattern that you should be in. And that's just one example. Everything is that way now.

Written By: annimal on 08/30/18 at 5:44 pm

The first thing I thought of when getting chips in the body  was tattoos to identify people in the army. 

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/30/18 at 6:14 pm

They also said microchips were the mark of the beast back in 2012. We were all supposed to be forced to implant chips in our bodies some time before the rapture came.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/30/18 at 6:28 pm

They also said microchips were the mark of the beast back in 2012. We were all supposed to be forced to implant chips in our bodies some time before the rapture came.

They were saying it in 2006. Can confirm, was told this by little girl then.

Written By: annimal on 08/30/18 at 6:49 pm

whatever  glad I chose to have nothing to do with religions

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/30/18 at 7:37 pm

Mark of the beast or not, to me human microchip implants just seem like another way to control and even enslave people.

Written By: annimal on 08/30/18 at 8:18 pm

I don't know,but I don't think everyone needs one.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/30/18 at 8:38 pm

I don't know,but I don't think everyone needs one.

More importantly, not everyone wants one.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/30/18 at 9:06 pm

They were saying it in 2006. Can confirm, was told this by little girl then.

In 2006, I was told the devil was coming back on 06/06/06, which one is it?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/30/18 at 9:32 pm

I could care less, honestly. I gave them credit for being caught up with life, their responsible for themselves.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/30/18 at 10:07 pm

Don't forget how Christ was supposed to come back in 2011 ;D.

Written By: annimal on 08/30/18 at 11:21 pm

oh my Jesus!

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/31/18 at 5:02 am

In 2006, I was told the devil was coming back on 06/06/06, which one is it?

Both. I was told this in April of '06.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/18 at 7:47 am

So, when is the United States going to get the microchips? ???

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/31/18 at 9:57 am

Don't give the Deep State any ideas :-X

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/18 at 11:12 am

It's not a commercial product, hackers made it themselves (you could probably get to code online on some place like GitHub) and install it into their bodies en masse at events/parties of sorts.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/18 at 2:02 pm

It's not a commercial product, hackers made it themselves (you could probably get to code online on some place like GitHub) and install it into their bodies en masse at events/parties of sorts.

or what about social events too?

Check for new replies or respond here...