inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Pop Punk revival I said was going to happen has started (For real)

Written By: John Titor on 08/15/18 at 3:39 pm

Mainstream media is starting to pick up on it, TRL and Billboard are now highlighting a new pop punk band.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8470216/pvmnts-better-days-ep-stream-interview-premiere
http://trl.mtv.com/news/3086468/get-to-know-pvmnts-and-nasty-c-a-little-bit-better-on-trl/
https://www.altpress.com/news/pvmnts-tyler-posey-tour-dates-wstr-co-headline-tour-2018/

k1KihKQ0nnA
IewikAU6f4c

https://scontent.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/38747549_886596104863344_5316802404413341696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=74bbd511311a0fa4817302ea9ba10d4c&oe=5BEFBE01

Subject: Re: The Pop Punk revival I said was going to happen has started (For real)

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/16/18 at 8:52 pm

Meh, I'm not convinced. I won't believe pop punk is coming back till you see it charting in Detroit as much as you do in NYC.

Subject: Re: The Pop Punk revival I said was going to happen has started (For real)

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/18 at 1:18 pm

Meh, I'm not convinced. I won't believe pop punk is coming back till you see it charting in Detroit as much as you do in NYC.

This.  I'll believe it when it takes over Top 40 even down here in the rural South like it did in the 2000s.

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 1:55 pm

Detroit is not a top 10 area for trends

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/18 at 2:39 pm

But for a pop punk revival to be legitimate, it would need to take off nationwide.  It can't be a niche scene only in certain cities.

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 3:16 pm

But for a pop punk revival to be legitimate, it would need to take off nationwide.  It can't be a niche scene only in certain cities.

it needs to hit Cali  (it already is with Emo Nite) sort of underground now here
Then New York, Then Miami and then it spreads

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/17/18 at 8:57 pm

No, the Midwest is basically the ass end of nowhere. And if you're not getting pop punk topping the charts there, then it's not a revival. If it stays on the coasts, it's not a revival; it's just a fad.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/17/18 at 9:37 pm

Why do some people on this board want a pop punk revival so bad?  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/17/18 at 9:53 pm

Why do some people on this board want a pop punk revival so bad?  ;D

People are probably just looking for a shift to happen. I'll admit it, I was one of them.

And the Chinese Zodiac repeats itself - the infamous late 2018 shift took place in a dog year just like the infamous late 2006 shift.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/18/18 at 4:36 am

People are probably just looking for a shift to happen. I'll admit it, I was one of them.

I was gonna say, have people never lived through a pop cultural transition before? We're not gonna really know it till we've been living in it a while anyway. After all, so many people here are also intent on emo surviving all the way up till 2013 (something I can't say I noticed myself; we seemed pretty fully transitioned well before that).

Written By: ofkx on 08/18/18 at 6:36 am

Their most viewed song on Youtube has ~65k views and the rest of their vids have 80-100 views lol.

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 9:36 am

I was gonna say, have people never lived through a pop cultural transition before? We're not gonna really know it till we've been living in it a while anyway. After all, so many people here are also intent on emo surviving all the way up till 2013 (something I can't say I noticed myself; we seemed pretty fully transitioned well before that).

emo was dead by 2009, maybe in hick towns it was still going
and when I said it was dead I mean NY LA, etc etc

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 9:37 am

I have witnessed 93's 1997's  2001's 2008's 2016's  lmao
We are in one of them now I have seen the patterns

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/18/18 at 9:44 am

I have witnessed 93's 1997's  2001's 2008's 2016's  lmao
We are in one of them now I have seen the patterns

Regarding the shifts:

2012/2013

2018 is probably going to be a minor shift at best; the most recent big shift took place only two years ago.

Written By: Dundee on 08/18/18 at 10:28 am

The last big shift in music was probably 2013, since then it was either minor or political.

But then again, this thread and its predictions are pretty ridiculous imo.

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 10:34 am

The last big shift in music was probably 2013, since then it was either minor or political.

its not ridiculous tho, it might be if you are not from the states that EMO nite is becoming a huge thing

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/18/18 at 2:20 pm

emo was dead by 2009, maybe in hick towns it was still going
and when I said it was dead I mean NY LA, etc etc

Lol again with the obsessions with coastal culture. I get it: NY and LA are where the entertainment industry lives and where culture is primarily “made.” But a lot of dark horse cultural shifts came from elsewhere too. For example, we wouldn’t have grunge without Seattle or R&B without Detroit.

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 7:41 pm

How is it ridiculous if EMo night is rising on the west coast as a culture

Check for new replies or respond here...