inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Greta Van Fleet popular among the 12-24 y/o demographic?

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/16/18 at 5:36 pm

Am curious as to what the youth and young adults here think of Greta Van Fleet?

Subject: Re: Is Greta Van Fleet popular among the 12-24 y/o demographic?

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/16/18 at 5:54 pm

Never even heard of that before and I'm 16.

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/18 at 6:06 pm

Hew??

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/16/18 at 6:13 pm

I like them.

Written By: Dundee on 08/16/18 at 6:48 pm

Meh...

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/16/18 at 6:56 pm

Nope.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/16/18 at 7:10 pm

Hew??

A newer rock band that has been called "the next Led Zeppelin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

Written By: xenzue on 08/16/18 at 7:55 pm

I've heard of them but only because I'm a fan of rock music. I've never heard someone talk about them in person

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/17/18 at 4:40 pm

Surprised anyone mentioned Greta Van Fleet. I know they are an up and coming rock band. I've heard interviews with them on the radio. As for them being popular among that age group, how should I know?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/17/18 at 4:48 pm

I wouldn't know if they're popular among the young demographic, but they certainly are a refreshing change from what is currently popular. At the same time, having lived through the era they emulate, they can seem a bit like kids playacting at that style of music. Like they heard it from their parent's record collection. They seem very sincere though. We need more of this.

Written By: ofkx on 08/18/18 at 1:14 pm

Not at all. The only reason I even heard of them is because of this forum ;D.

Written By: Wobo on 08/18/18 at 1:26 pm

Who is that? That sounds like a 1700s music artist.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/18/18 at 5:47 pm

I wouldn't know if they're popular among the young demographic, but they certainly are a refreshing change from what is currently popular. At the same time, having lived through the era they emulate, they can seem a bit like kids playacting at that style of music. Like they heard it from their parent's record collection. They seem very sincere though. We need more of this.

Eh. But why listen to them when you can just listen to Led Zeppelin?

That's the biggest problem with GVF.

They need to figure out how to freshen up the sound, kinda like how Mars Volta did with Frances the Mute (I know that album has a lot of issues but it's still a good example of how to update the Zeppelin sound).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/18/18 at 6:20 pm

Eh. But why listen to them when you can just listen to Led Zepplin?

That's the biggest problem with GVF.

They need to figure out how to freshen up the sound, kinda like how Mars Volta did with Frances the Mute (I know that album has a lot of issues but it's still a good example of how to update the Zepplin sound).

I like Greta Van Fleet but I agree that they sound a little bit too derivative of Led Zeppelin (although they're nowhere even close to being as much of a blatant LedZep ripoff as Kingdom Come was back in the 1980s  ::)).

However I'm very impressed with their musical chops (especially considering how young they are - they're all just out of high school) and I'm interested in seeing how their music evolves as they mature.

Written By: Dundee on 08/18/18 at 8:57 pm

There were already tons of Led Zeppelin rip-offs in the 70s/80s, dunno if we need even more now. Find them quite boring, beyond the fact of re-emulating a past group. And really, they only ever got attention from most people because of how identical the singer sounds to Robert Plant, the rest is OK Blues Rock/Hard Rock

It's better anyway to support bands putting super great material while still doing their own thing :) Like the Parquet Courts, they put a great album this year :D

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/18/18 at 9:51 pm

They're filling a void. That's the point. There are no real young blues based bands that sound like Zeppelin now. If they can reintroduce that sound to a younger audience, in their new packaging as such (being young and able to see live as opposed to dead, old or defunct like most 70s Blues Rock bands) there's not a thing wrong with that. It's refreshing actually.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/18/18 at 10:07 pm

They're filling a void. That's the point. There are no real young blues based bands that sound like Zeppelin now. If they can reintroduce that sound to a younger audience, in their new packaging as such (being young and able to see live as opposed to dead, old or defunct like most 70s Blues Rock bands) there's not a thing wrong with that. It's refreshing actually.

You're very right about that.

Check for new replies or respond here...