inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So why are Millenials a split generation?

Written By: Star Struck on 08/17/18 at 2:38 pm

Whenever I go on articles, people keep talking about "older" and "younger" millenials. You always have older millenials talking down to the younger ones and I was wondering, why? Why are millenials a split generation? Aren't we all a part of the same generation? I don't see Gen X or Baby Boombers splitting their generations between younger and older ones.

Edit: Also, I'm more a simple, just straight-to-the-point person. I view millenials as anyone born in the 80s and 90s.

Subject: Re: So why are Millenials a split generation?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/18 at 2:42 pm

Whenever I go on articles, people keep talking about "older" and "younger" millenials. You always have older millenials talking down to the younger ones and I was wondering, why? Why are millenials a split generation? Aren't we all a part of the same generation? I don't see Gen X or Baby Boombers splitting their generations between younger and older ones.

There is actually a pretty significant difference between 80s-borns, who came of age during the recession and who graduated high school in a pre-smartphone world and 90s-borns who came of age after the recession and had smartphones and social media while still in school.

Written By: Star Struck on 08/17/18 at 2:55 pm

There is actually a pretty significant difference between 80s-borns, who came of age during the recession and who graduated high school in a pre-smartphone world and 90s-borns who came of age after the recession and had smartphones and social media while still in school.

I guess that makes sense. The way I view it, most 80s borns remember a time before the internet and most 90s borns remember a time before the first iPhone. Right? I mean, I feel like that's one thing both 80s and 90s babies have in common. They both remember a time before the first iPhone, which grew in popularity in the very late 2000s to early 2010s. I remembered seeing people in movies from 2007-2011/2 using flip phones still.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/17/18 at 3:30 pm

So because I only had 1 semester in HS when smartphones became popular that makes us significantly different?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/18 at 3:44 pm

So because I only had 1 semester in HS when smartphones became popular that makes us significantly different?

That's not what I meant.  In fact your comment highlights why generational discussion and stereotypes are flawed.  However, the coming of age experience, while similar in a lot of ways is still quite different for somebody born in 1995 than somebody born in 1985 for the two key reasons I mentioned.

Written By: xenzue on 08/17/18 at 4:02 pm

I think this split might be considered the starting point for the Gen Y/Z ending/starting point in the future. Someone born in 98 is very different to an 87 born (the center of gravity for millennials). We can already see this gap in pop culture.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/17/18 at 6:43 pm

I just see it as millennials always wanting to seem like special snowflakes who try their hardest to seem different from another person/group. My parents are Gen X yet I've never seen 'em mention anything about how they're different from other Gen X people. Nowadays it seems everyone wants to feel special and always try to separate themselves from another group. In some cases I can understand, but in most cases it's all just superficial.

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/18 at 6:49 pm

I can understand your confusion. It also took me a while to understand that the concept of generations as purported is pure nonsense :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/17/18 at 6:51 pm

Someone born in 98 is very different to an 87 born (the center of gravity for millennials).

But someone born in 1997 is different from someone born in 1998. No two people are ever the same.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/17/18 at 10:29 pm

It's because some older millennials are offended by even being considered one due to inaccurate negative stereotypes about the generation. That's the reason why they created a small group specifically for them called Xennials or the Oregon Trail generation.

I guess that makes sense. The way I view it, most 80s borns remember a time before the internet, and most 90s borns remember a time before the first iPhone. Right? I mean, I feel like that's one thing both 80s and 90s babies have in common. They both remember a time before the first iPhone, which grew in popularity in the very late 2000s to early 2010s. I remembered seeing people in movies from 2007-2011/2 using flip phones still.
Not only that, but they also remember a time of the new millennium and 9/11 and a pre-Obama era.

There is a pretty significant difference between 80s-borns, who came of age during the recession and who graduated high school in a pre-smartphone world and 90s-borns who came of age after the recession and had smartphones and social media while still in school.
I thought most, or all 80s-borns came of age before the recession unless you mean college. As for social media, all Millennials had it some way or another while in school whether it was AOL, Myspace, Facebook, etc. since the main users were adolescents and college students prior to the popularity of Facebook. I also agree with Millennium that some 90s-borns also graduated high school in a pre-smartphone world too.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/17/18 at 10:37 pm

It's because some older millennials are offended by even being considered one due to inaccurate negative stereotypes about the generation. That's the reason why they created a small group specifically for them called Xennials or the Oregon Trail generation.
Not only that, but they also remember a time of the new millennium and 9/11 and a pre-Obama era.
I thought most, or all 80s-borns came of age before the recession unless you mean college. As for social media, all Millennials had it some way or another while in school whether it was AOL, Myspace, Facebook, etc. since the main users were adolescents and college students prior to the popularity of Facebook. I also agree with Millennium that some 90s-borns also graduated high school in a pre-smartphone world too.

Not all 90's borns may remember Y2K and 9/11, especially those born in the late 90's.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/18/18 at 1:58 am

The Boomers WERE a split generation. There were the Boomers proper, and then a group called Generation Jones who didn't quite fit into Baby Boomers or Gen X.

Btw, I was born in '90 and I cannot remember 9/11. I probably blocked it out. I can remember Election Night 2000, so it's not like I don't have memories from that time. But honestly...I am Brooklyn, NY born and on 9/11 I was living in NJ (My family would move back to Brooklyn in December 2001) and 9/11 wasn't that important. I don't think I truly understood it. I certainly wasn't afraid of it. Two weeks after 9/11 my family visited Ground Zero and we actually ate at the World Financial Center and even went on top of the Empire State Building. I don't remember being afraid. Maybe I was in a state of disbelief so that it didn't really hit me. I don't know. I do remember however being VERY afraid of the Anthrax scare, thinking it was gonna start happening all over the country. Even now, living in Brooklyn, shootings and terrorism events don't scare me. It is what it is, if it's gonna happen and I'm meant to die in it, it's gonna happen. I'm more afraid of being knifed by a loonie on a subway train than a terrorist.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/18/18 at 5:51 pm

I just see it as millennials always wanting to seem like special snowflakes who try their hardest to seem different from another person/group. My parents are Gen X yet I've never seen 'em mention anything about how they're different from other Gen X people. Nowadays it seems everyone wants to feel special and always try to separate themselves from another group. In some cases I can understand, but in most cases it's all just superficial.

Eh. My brother is a Gen Xer and he talks down to 90s millennials and Gen Zers all the time.  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/18 at 7:53 pm

Not all 90's borns may remember Y2K and 9/11, especially those born in the late 90's.
Oh. I know. I was listing what common things do the 80s, and 90s borns have, and those came to mind. Other ones also include they remember the Iraq War, pre-Youtube, pre-Great Recession and pre-instant social media.

The Boomers WERE a split generation. There was the Boomers proper, and then a group called Generation Jones who didn't quite fit into Baby Boomers or Gen X.
I think Boomers are still-split in some way. For instance, the younger ones were too young to fight in Vietnam. They might not recall the JFK assassination and their time was more in the days of 70s rock, disco, funk and old-school R&B/soul.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/18/18 at 8:26 pm

I think the media has everything to do with it, people always associate millennials as being young and in-experienced as if though they just came on to the scene, forget that many millennials were already adults pre-2008, heck the oldest millennial were old enough to fight in the Iraq war.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/18 at 8:40 pm

I think the media has everything to do with it, people always associate millennials as being young and in-experienced as if though they just came on to the scene, forget that many millennials were already adults pre-2008, heck the oldest millennial were old enough to fight in the Iraq war.
This! Not only were millions of Millennials old enough for combat in the Iraq war. In fact, more than half of Millennials were already adults by 2008 alone.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/18/18 at 8:40 pm

The oldest Millennials were even able to consume alcohol by the time the Iraq War started.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/19/18 at 12:30 am

Eh. My brother is a Gen Xer and he talks down to 90s millennials and Gen Zers all the time.  ;D

What about '89 Millennials?

Written By: wixness on 08/19/18 at 8:26 am

Some millennials would like to distance themselves from the "Social Justice Warriors" I guess. I think there's distinct cultures in the 2000s and the 2010s, with the former being less politically correct and less technologically well developed. The fact that the internet was practically commonplace by the 2010s meant that information would have been more easily disseminated. I think the 2000s did have the internet, but internet speeds would have been slower on average and it was less well developed overall - e-commerce hasn't killed off stores as badly as the 2010s has.

If we're talking about people who were adults in the 2000s, it's a little more complicated. Social changes in the 90s did foster some of the attitudes and a few political movements that were around in the 2000s and the 2010s, like same-sex marriage. Plus, I believe that many people love to hate on the 2000s in general, blaming liberalism or capitalism for 9/11 and the recession respectively.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/19/18 at 9:41 am

I think everybody touched upon good points. I agree with NerdyGamer, that while there is a legitimate generational split between 80s borns & 90s borns, I’ve always noticed that 80s borns act pretty smug towards 90s borns, for pretty petty reasons in the grand scheme of things.

I speak for experience as two of my sisters born in 85’ & 86’ always act like me (born in 96’) and my 91’ born sister can’t remember the 90s (obviously we don’t remember the decade as well, but we obviously can still relate to the pop cultural trends of that decade, especially since they were still prominent in the early 00s) & thus can't relate to the struggle of rewinding VHS tapes, listening to 8-Tracks, watchin the Price is Right with Bob Barker, when PayPhones we’re still around, etc. Heck, once they said that the iPhone came out when I was in diapers...in diapers. I was already in middle school by then ;D, so I clearly remember a Pre-iPhone World.

My whole thing is that I don’t discard the genuine differences between 80s & 90s borns (like of course most 80s borns being able to remember a Pre-internet world, but keep in mind that’s still not “ALL”), but I’ve always found that many 80s borns (not all, and honestly I wouldn’t even say “most”, just a good chunk) perceived generational grievances with us are hyperbolic & very exaggerated.

This article from two years ago regarding this one 80s born being ‘terrified’ of us 90s borns is a perfect example:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/138936-7-reasons-people-born-in-the-90s-terrify-people-born-in-the-80s

Written By: xenzue on 08/19/18 at 1:58 pm

But someone born in 1997 is different from someone born in 1998. No two people are ever the same.

That's true, but that was not my point. Someone born in 1955 can have the same exact up bringing, personality and political views as someone born in 2003. But on average, the difference is big.

Ppl born in the 87 remember a pre-internet world, the 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq. They were in their early 20s by the time the financial crisis came.

98 borns can relate to a lot of pop culture from the 90s/00s, but other than that they grew up in a completely different world. The majority of their young-adulthood life will be spent in the 2020s.

Early 90s borns are pretty similar to late 80s borns tbh, esp 90-92.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/19/18 at 6:14 pm

IMO,
Gen X: 1964-1972
New Silent Generation: 1973-1985
Millenials: 1986-1994
Gen Z: 1995-2004

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/19/18 at 7:50 pm

IMO,

Why are people born from 1973 to 1985 called "New Silents"? I always thought that the term referred to Gen Z people.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/19/18 at 9:03 pm

IMO,

And there you have it my friends, a perfect example of what I just said earlier today ;D. Even though I know 90sGuy was born in 90', so he's not an 80s baby, but this same mentality is still prevalent in many 80s babies. Anybody born after 1990 might as well just be in the same category as someone born in 2005 to them.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/19/18 at 9:11 pm

I saw this on Instagram and felt very old. I'm still too young to be a true 90s kid, yet even still too old to relate to this, hahah.

https://i.redd.it/r9o9nnqc23h11.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/19/18 at 10:12 pm

And there you have it my friends, a perfect example of what I just said earlier today ;D. Even though I know 90sGuy was born in 90', so he's not an 80s baby, but this same mentality is still prevalent in many 80s babies. Anybody born after 1990 might as well just be in the same category as someone born in 2005 to them.

For me personally, 20 yr olds and under are the ones who seem like they might be from an entirely different generation.

As far as the split millennial generation is concerned...I'll put it this way: there are those of us who us the slang terms "lit", "savage", "on fleek", "extra", and "bae" instinctively and those who do not. There is a good chance those who use those terms are in the younger half of the millennial generation.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/19/18 at 10:37 pm

For me personally, 20 yr olds and under are the ones who seem like they might be from an entirely different generation.

As far as the split millennial generation is concerned...I'll put it this way: there are those of us who us the slang terms "lit", "savage", "on fleek", "extra", and "bae" instinctively and those who do not. There is a good chance those who use those terms are in the younger half of the millennial generation.

I was born in 1999 and I have never used those terms in my life.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/19/18 at 10:50 pm

That would mainly be young black people who use those terms. I haven't heard those words being said by others outside the black community.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/19/18 at 11:48 pm

That would mainly be young black people who use those terms. I haven't heard those words being said by others outside the black community.

While you might be right to an extent overall, I watch a lot of youtube and people in their twenties and late teens of all races use those terms.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/19/18 at 11:50 pm

Then you aren't part of my good chance group.

Congrats.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/20/18 at 2:32 am

While you might be right to an extent overall, I watch a lot of youtube and people in their twenties and late teens of all races use those terms.

Yes, and they are late to the party. These words have been around way longer than they've been mainstream. When these terms became mainstream they lose their flair tbh. Most of us have moved on.

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 3:06 am

I'm black and i never used those words except for savage but that's pretty much it. If i ever used words like lit or on fleek i would only use them in a joking matter.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 6:07 am

But could you at least agree that placing a heavy emphasis on things like terms (not accusing you, just going off experience) to 'prove' that 80s & 90s babies are significantly different is a bit hyperbolic?

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/18 at 9:49 am

I was born 1993 and I use those terms semi-ironically. Who can handle this millenial-ception?

"savage" is a lit af word tho, upper left.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 9:55 am

Not really. At my school, everyone of every race used those terms.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/20/18 at 10:22 am

It's more a mindset thing. I have three nephews, three nieces. The first nephew was born a week before me in 90. The second was born in July '94, and while he is younger, he and I were always able to relate well. My first niece was born in '95. My third nephew was born in August '96. Second niece was born in April '99. Last niece in August of 2006. Besides them, my experience with others of a similar age makes me feel either 95 or 96 marks off a cutoff from Millenials to Gen Z not only based on them, but the mindsets, views, likes/dislikes, and cultural memories are more different, in my experience, for someone born before 1996, than someone born after.

It should read:
IMO,
Gen X: 1964-1972 - The guys making the music which became grunge, alt, and modern hip hop. This grouping includes Eminem, Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Maynard Keenan, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie etc. Born after the death of JFK, too young to fight in Vietnam, old enough to have big brothers come back (or not) from it. The first generation which grew up in a largely integrated America. The first also to grow up wherein a majority of households had TV sets. The generation who fought the Gulf War in 1991. Jaded, apolitical to centrist. The group that voted for Ross Perot in 1992.

New Silent Generation: 1973-1984: - The listeners of those guys' music. The first generation to be born when abortion was legal here in the US; too young to remember Vietnam or Watergate; the "latchkey kid" generation, who are now the major content creators for Gen Z and were late 90s - mid 00s teen idols as well. Rose McGowan, Shannon Elizabeth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Derek Jeter, Drew Barrymore, and many other celebs here. They grew up with the first big wave of wrestling in the 80s, with Hulk Hogan and Mr. T as TV heroes, idolized Michael Jackson and Prince, came into their teens with Hair Metal and Pop like Paula Abdul and New Jack Swing.

Millenials: 1985-1995

Gen Z: 1996-2002? I can't think of a good cutoff year for Gen Z. Maybe 2002 since that's after 9/11.

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 10:33 am

It's more a mindset thing. I have three nephews, three nieces. The first nephew was born a week before me in 90. The second was born in July '94, and while he is younger, he and I were always able to relate well. My first niece was born in '95. My third nephew was born in August '96. Second niece was born in April '99. Last niece in August of 2006. Besides them, my experience with others of a similar age makes me feel either 95 or 96 marks off a cutoff from Millenials to Gen Z not only based on them, but the mindsets, views, likes/dislikes, and cultural memories are more different, in my experience, for someone born before 1996, than someone born after.

It should read:
IMO,
Gen X: 1964-1972 - The guys making the music which became grunge, alt, and modern hip hop. This grouping includes Eminem, Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Maynard Keenan, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie etc. Born after the death of JFK, too young to fight in Vietnam, old enough to have big brothers come back (or not) from it. The first generation which grew up in a largely integrated America. The first also to grow up wherein a majority of households had TV sets. The generation who fought the Gulf War in 1991. Jaded, apolitical to centrist. The group that voted for Ross Perot in 1992.

New Silent Generation: 1973-1984: - The listeners of those guys' music. The first generation to be born when abortion was legal here in the US; too young to remember Vietnam or Watergate; the "latchkey kid" generation, who are now the major content creators for Gen Z and were late 90s - mid 00s teen idols as well. Rose McGowan, Shannon Elizabeth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Derek Jeter, Drew Barrymore, and many other celebs here. They grew up with the first big wave of wrestling in the 80s, with Hulk Hogan and Mr. T as TV heroes, idolized Michael Jackson and Prince, came into their teens with Hair Metal and Pop like Paula Abdul and New Jack Swing.

Gen Z: 1996-2002? I can't think of a good cutoff year for Gen Z. Maybe 2002 since that's after 9/11.

How is Gen Z only 1996-2002??  ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 10:44 am

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/238/242/d21.gif

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 10:52 am

Accurate definition of the generations:

4.5 Billion B.C. - August 31st, 2001 11:59:59 PM: Millennials

September 1st, 2001 12:00:00 AM - August 31st, 2002 11:59:59 PM: Coolest Generation (HS C/O 2020)

September 1st, 2002 12:00:00 AM - present: Core Z

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 10:54 am

4.5 Billion B.C. - August 31st, 2003 11:59:59 PM: Millennials

September 1st, 2003 12:00:00 AM - August 31st, 2004 11:59:59 PM: Coolest/Raddest/Hunkiest Generation (HS C/O 2022)

September 1st, 2004 12:00:00 AM - present: Core Z

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 10:59 am

4.5 Billion B.C. - August 31st, 2003 11:59:59 PM: Millennials

September 1st, 2003 12:00:00 AM - August 31st, 2004 11:59:59 PM: Coolest/Raddest/Hunkiest Generation (HS C/O 2022)

September 1st, 2004 12:00:00 AM - present: Core Z

Not according to the real facts:

http://i63.tinypic.com/33y3mut.jpg

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 11:00 am

Not according to the real facts:

http://i63.tinypic.com/33y3mut.jpg

Nice edited picture! Also there's alot of typos in there too.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 11:00 am

Nice edited photo!

Thanks! I did the study all by myself.

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 11:02 am

Thanks! I did the study all by myself.

Fix the typos btw.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 11:03 am

Fix the typos btw.

Already did that before posting the photo on here.  ;)

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 11:07 am

Already did that before posting the photo on here.  ;)

Hmmm well I don't see it, isn't it supposed to say September 1, 2003 - August 31, 2004?

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 11:09 am

Hmmm well I don't see it, isn't it supposed to say September 1, 2003 - August 31, 2004?

Nope.  ;)

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 11:10 am

Nope.  ;)

Yeah  ;)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/20/18 at 11:28 am

4.5 Billion B.C. - August 31st, 2001 11:59:59 PM: Millennials

September 1st, 2001 12:00:00 AM - August 31st, 2002 11:59:59 PM: Coolest Generation (HS C/O 2020)

September 1st, 2002 12:00:00 AM - present: Core Z

This is completely wrong. Let me correct it for you.

13.8 billion BC - August 31, 1998 at 11:59:59 PM: Millennials

September 1, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM - August 31, 1999 at 11:59:59 PM: The generation of sinless walking angels that are valuable to society.

September 1, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM - present: Tide pod eating Musical.ly users

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 12:01 pm

It should read:
IMO,

I guess thats understandable. I just find it odd that you think the Millennial generation is only about 10 years, and Gen Z being only about 6 years. To each their own though. As for the bold, what makes your 94' born nephew seemed more relatable to you growing up than your 95' born niece & 96' born nephew? Since they're all around the same age, I'd assume that they'd all be grouped together via mindset sense, but you seem to be pretty close with the oldest of the bunch.

I'm in a similar scenario where I have 2 younger cousins born in 2000 & a nephew born in 2001. They're about 4-5 years younger than me, so about the same age differences between you and your oldest nephews/nieces. However, mindset wise, they all seem about the same to me. I can relate pretty decently with all of them, especially in relation to current popular trends and finding out new ones (much of the popular rappers on SoundCloud I discovered via them). So I kind of view them all in a equal light.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/20/18 at 12:21 pm

I guess thats understandable. I just find it odd that you think the Millennial generation is only about 10 years, and Gen Z being only about 6 years. To each their own though. As for the bold, what makes your 94' born nephew seemed more relatable to you growing up than your 95' born niece & 96' born nephew? Since they're all around the same age, I'd assume that they'd all be grouped together via mindset sense, but you seem to be pretty close with the oldest of the bunch.

I'm in a similar scenario where I have 2 younger cousins born in 2000 & a nephew born in 2001. They're about 4-5 years younger than me, so about the same age differences between you and your oldest nephews/nieces. However, mindset wise, they all seem about the same to me. I can relate pretty decently with all of them, especially in relation to current popular trends and finding out new ones (much of the popular rappers on SoundCloud I discovered via them). So I kind of view them all in a equal light.

Here was an old thing I made:

0-2 year difference: Not really an age difference

3-5 year difference: Minor differences noticeable

6-8 year difference: Major differences noticeable (one of the first signs of a generation gap)

9-11 year difference: Borderline generation gap

12+ year difference: Generation gap

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 5:07 pm

I saw this on Instagram and felt very old. I'm still too young to be a true 90s kid, yet even still too old to relate to this, haha.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think this photo is inaccurate. There seem to be a little more 10s items listed here than the 00s. 

While you might be right to an extent overall, I watch a lot of youtube and people in their twenties, and late teens of all races use those terms.

Not really. At my school, everyone of every race used those terms.
Then, it must be regional differences. Where I live, I don't hear those words from non-black people. I only hear them from my fellow African-Americans.

I'm black, and I never used those words except for savage, but that's pretty much it. If I ever used words like lit or on-fleek, I would only use them in a joking matter.
Same. I also only use savage, and that's it.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/20/18 at 5:11 pm

I saw this on Instagram and felt very old. I'm still too young to be a true 90s kid, yet even still too old to relate to this, hahah.

The only things from that list I can relate to are Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Wii.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/20/18 at 8:39 pm

But could you at least agree that placing a heavy emphasis on things like terms (not accusing you, just going off experience) to 'prove' that 80s & 90s babies are significantly different is a bit hyperbolic?

Yes.  8)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 9:04 pm

Yes.  8)

https://media.giphy.com/media/loFcqHbLb0N8Y/giphy.gif

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 9:06 pm

Too young to be a 90s kid, thats true. But still WAY TOO OLD to relate to this bullsh!t ;D. Besides, isn't most of this stuff from the early 10s anyways? I was too busy getting drunk at parties back then ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/21/18 at 12:36 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/loFcqHbLb0N8Y/giphy.gif

lol

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/22/18 at 7:49 pm

Too young to be a 90s kid, thats true. But still WAY TOO OLD to relate to this bullsh!t ;D. Besides, isn't most of this stuff from the early 10s anyways? I was too busy getting drunk at parties back then ;D
This is more for Early 00s borns. I still enjoyed some late 00s trends like Icarly (the earlier seasons), Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, HM (wasn't a big fan but I stil watched it when I got boared) but the 3DS is straight Early 10s. I don't see how a true 00s kid would put the 3DS as their core-childhood. The same can be said with the Iphone and Angry Birds like those things were either not around in the 2000s or weren't mainstream yet.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/18 at 8:04 pm

I relate to this very well when it comes to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, iCarly (earlier seasons like someone else mentioned), Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Nintendo DS Lite, Wii, iPhone (or later iPods), and Angry Birds. Here's the thing, a lot of pop cultural icons in this photo are mixed up. It's not specific. You got mid 00's, late 00's, and even early 10's all over the place. That Cartoon Network logo came in 2004 (and I watched CN religiously through all of 2006), that Disney Channel logo came in 2002, iCarly appealed to teens too (unlike Hannah Montana which only appealed to young girls), the Nintendo DS had plenty of games preteens could enjoy too but I was still a kid when that was released anyway, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a novel, and kid novels usually appeal to 3rd through 7th graders. No different than the Harry Potter series, Percy Jackson, or Maximum Ride. The early iPhone's or later iPod's are for anyone to use just like any other version.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/18 at 8:05 pm

I'm not sure exactly, but I think this photo is inaccurate. There seem to be a little more 10s items listed here than the 00s. 

Nah, Angry Birds is the only strict 10's thing in that photo (which I was addicted to throughout my freshman year of high school and the summer after BTW)

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 8:18 pm

All generations are 'split.' It's a common misnomer that generations span about 20 years, when really it's more like 16-18 years. I know people have said that the older one gets, the less pronounced a large age difference becomes. But I think a gap of 8-9 years is always going to be somewhat palpable. A person who died at age 89 lived a long life, while a person who died at age 80 had a good run (but could've gone further).

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 8:29 pm

I think this split might be considered the starting point for the Gen Y/Z ending/starting point in the future. Someone born in 98 is very different to an 87 born (the center of gravity for millennials). We can already see this gap in pop culture.

Eh, I disagree. Someone born in 1987 is a little too old for mid-90s babies to relate to. If we use Pew's definition of 1981-1996 (which I don't entirely agree with, although I don't think it's completely inaccurate either), the dividing line between older and younger Millennials is 1988/1989... which sounds about right to someone like me who knows lots of 80s and 90s babies.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 8:38 pm

Also, why do so many people insist on 1994 being the last Millennial year? That's a really 'old school' definition IMO. I know Personality Café runs with it, but they also start the generation at 1977... which is just ridiculous. While I do think that 1994 in some ways is the last 'core' year, I also think there's a difference between being a young, post-core Millennial (i.e. 1995) and a Y/Z cusper (i.e. 1999). In other words, non-core Millennials aren't automatically cuspers. It's no different than 1975ers being firmly Get X, but just beyond the nexus (1974 being the cutoff). Or what about 1976ers being indisputably Xers these days, but obviously not the stereotypical 80s-era teenagers?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/22/18 at 8:47 pm

Also, why do so many people insist on 1994 being the last Millennial year? That's a really 'old school' definition IMO. I know Personality Café runs with it, but they also start the generation at 1977... which is just ridiculous. While I do think that 1994 in some ways is the last 'core' year, I also think there's a difference between being a young, post-core Millennial (i.e. 1995) and a Y/Z cusper (i.e. 1999). It's no different than 1975ers being firmly Get X, but just beyond the nexus (1974 being the cutoff).
1995 borns have significant Gen Z traits as well: They were the first to began Kindergarten post Y2K, first to have been born with the Internet Explorer,  first to have been born in a PlayStation world, the first election that they were able to vote in was the 2016 one,  born at the release of Toy Story 1 (frist to have been born in a world where full-length cgi films existed), their senior year of high school was during the Sandy Hook shooting.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 8:59 pm

1995 borns have significant Gen Z traits as well: They were the first to began Kindergarten post Y2K, first to have been born with the Internet Explorer,  first to have been born in a PlayStation world, the first election that they were able to vote in was the 2016 one,  born at the release of Toy Story 1 (frist to have been born in a world where full-length cgi films existed), their senior year of high school was during the Sandy Hook shooting.

Those qualities make them post-core Millennials, but it doesn't automatically mean they're Y/Z cuspers. Would you consider someone born in 1975 an X/Y cusper just because they weren't old enough to vote in the 1992 presidential election? Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Tiger Woods, 50 Cent are all 1975ers... they strike me as younger Gen X. Compare that to 1979ers (true X/Y cuspers)... Kevin Hart, Adam Levine, Kourtney Kardashian, and Pink. See the difference?

This probably doesn't mean much, but I feel like there's more of a 'gap' between '93/'94 and '95/'96 than '94/'95. Smartphones were already popular when 1994ers were upperclassmen in high school (2010-2011, 2011-2012) and the majority of their high school experience was in the early 2010s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/22/18 at 9:11 pm

Those qualities make them post-core Millennials, but it doesn't automatically mean they're Y/Z cuspers. Would you consider someone born in 1975 an X/Y cusper just because they weren't old enough to vote in the 1992 presidential election? Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Tiger Woods, 50 Cent are all 1975ers... they strike me as younger Gen X. Compare that to 1979ers (true X/Y cuspers)... Kevin Hart, Adam Levine, Kourtney Kardashian, and Pink. See the difference?
92 and 93 borns have post core-Y traits as well, heck there was a time when people said 93 was the first Gen Z, but because those birth years spent a significant portion of their childhoods in the late-90s and  became teens in the Myspace era its pretty to call a 93 born a Gen Z'er. Slowpoke even thought of himself as a digital native at one point, but most 95 borns don't identify with being a Gen Zer. As far as 75 borns having Y traits I mean I can see a 75 born relating more to an Millennial than a Baby Bommer, since a lot of them had Bommer parents, and being in college during the early years of the internet boom, but 75 is just pure late X because they were in high school in the early 90s and was already in their 20s well-before 2000.  Simlar to how a  93 born were already in their 2nd election by the time 2016 rolled around.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 9:50 pm

92 and 93 borns have post core-Y traits as well, heck there was a time when people said 93 was the first Gen Z, but because those birth years spent a significant portion of their childhoods in the late-90s and  became teens in the Myspace era its pretty to call a 93 born a Gen Z'er.

Not really. Canada used 1992 as a cutoff not for a Millennial generation, but for a "children of Baby Boomers" generation... which they defined as 1972-1992. Needless to say, that's pretty dumb. Since the Millennial generation became the hot topic of conversation about 5 years ago, I've not seen 1994 as a popular cutoff year... it's usually 1995 or 1996. Again, Personality Café starts Gen Y at 1977, so their 1994 cutoff could/should be taken with a grain of salt.

Slowpoke even thought of himself as a digital native at one point, but most 95 borns don't identify with being a Gen Zer. As far as 75 borns having Y traits I mean I can see a 75 born relating more to an Millennial than a Baby Bommer, since a lot of them had Bommer parents, and being in college during the early years of the internet boom, but 75 is just pure late X because they were in high school in the early 90s and was already in their 20s well-before 2000.  Simlar to how a  93 born were already in their 2nd election by the time 2016 rolled around.

This is another misconception about Millennials and Gen Z. The prime Millennials *are* digital natives... Internet, flip phones, CDs, DVDs, MP3 players, etc. The only analog things we grew up with were VHS and possibly cassette tapes for boomboxes and voice recorders. Someone born in 1988, for instance, may remember a time before the Internet, but they wouldn't have been old enough to use it even had it existed in like 1994.

Written By: xenzue on 08/22/18 at 10:09 pm

Eh, I disagree. Someone born in 1987 is a little too old for mid-90s babies to relate to. If we use Pew's definition of 1981-1996 (which I don't entirely agree with, although I don't think it's completely inaccurate either), the dividing line between older and younger Millennials is 1988/1989... which sounds about right to someone like me who knows lots of 80s and 90s babies.

Even then, someone born in 98 will relate more to early/mid 00s babies than someone born in '89. Mid 90s babies are mixed bag, but after '96 people are exponentially more Gen Z. Btw what is your age range for millennials?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/22/18 at 10:17 pm

Not really. Canada used 1992 as a cutoff not for a Millennial generation, but for a "children of Baby Boomers" generation... which they defined as 1972-1992. Needless to say, that's pretty dumb. Since the Millennial generation became the hot topic of conversation about 5 years ago, I've not seen 1994 as a popular cutoff year... it's usually 1995 or 1996. Again, Personality Café starts Gen Y at 1977, so their 1994 cutoff could/should be taken with a grain of salt.

This is another misconception about Millennials and Gen Z. The prime Millennials *are* digital natives... Internet, flip phones, CDs, DVDs, MP3 players, etc. The only analog things we grew up with were VHS and possibly cassette tapes for boomboxes and voice recorders. Someone born in 1988, for instance, may remember a time before the Internet, but they wouldn't have been old enough to use it even had it existed in like 1994.
Well I see tons of sources that start Gen Z in 1995, so 1994 is a good year to end the Millennial generation. I think that Millennials is more of a mindset than a birth year. If your 30, raising a family and not really up with technology then your not considered a millennial but if your entitled, living at home with your parents, and have student loan debt then you're considered a millennial. I see tons of older millennials talk say these "millennials" when they're millennials themselves.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 10:37 pm

Btw what is your age range for millennials?

1982-1997/98 (I haven't met anyone born after 1998, at least not that I know of)

I've met many 1997 babies in the last few years and they seem like Millennials to me, albeit very young ones. Like I said, I think there's a bigger gap between '93/'94 and '95'/'96 than '94/'95 or '96/'97.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/22/18 at 10:44 pm

Even then, someone born in 98 will relate more to early/mid 00s babies than someone born in '89. Mid 90s babies are mixed bag, but after '96 people are exponentially more Gen Z. Btw what is your age range for millennials?

Ehhh...  I don't agree with this. I have a lot of friends born in the late 90s & they strike more as cuspers. In fact, late 90s babies are the epitome of the Y/Z cusp. Like Encorder mentioned, mid 90s babies have mostly Y traits & a few Z traits, but the clear distinction of Y traits easily makes them more Millennial in the grand scheme of things. However, I don't think in just BAM, someone born after 96' is automatically a Zer (I know thats not exactly what you were trying to convey, but I digress), I think its more of a gradual change. From the many people I know born in the late 90s & few early 00s babies I know via my job & family, it doesn't start to lean more clearly Gen Z until around Late 99'/2000 babies.

https://dailygazette.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_image/public/FLA_SCHOOL_SHOOTING_30_1.jpg?itok=9B7QHRSE

I know thats a bit convenient & cliche to say, but thats generally how I've seen it. I mean, 1999 borns were the last to graduate high school prior to the Parkland shooting, Gen Z's Columbine (or insert any major school shooting from the late 90s-early 10s) due to massive rise in political activism mainly by high school students, or in other words mainly kids born in the early 2000s. That, IMO, is where it starts to lean more clearly on the Z side of things, but I'm on the record in believing that everybody born till 2001 or so is still in the cusp category though.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/22/18 at 11:19 pm

Ehhh...  I don't agree with this. I have a lot of friends born in the late 90s & they strike more as cuspers. In fact, late 90s babies are the epitome of the Y/Z cusp. Like Encorder mentioned, mid 90s babies have mostly Y traits & a few Z traits, but the clear distinction of Y traits easily makes them more Millennial in the grand scheme of things. However, I don't think in just BAM, someone born after 96' is automatically a Zer (I know thats not exactly what you were trying to convey, but I digress), I think its more of a gradual change. From the many people I know born in the late 90s & few early 00s babies I know via my job & family, it doesn't start to lean more clearly Gen Z until around Late 99'/2000 babies.

https://dailygazette.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_image/public/FLA_SCHOOL_SHOOTING_30_1.jpg?itok=9B7QHRSE

I know thats a bit convenient & cliche to say, but thats generally how I've seen it. I mean, 1999 borns were the last to graduate high school prior to the Parkland shooting, Gen Z's Columbine (or insert any major school shooting from the late 90s-early 10s) due to massive rise in political activism mainly by high school students, or in other words mainly kids born in the early 2000s. That, IMO, is where it starts to lean more clearly on the Z side of things, but I'm on the record in believing that everybody born till 2001 or so is still in the cusp category though.

Do you think that people born in the late 90's (1997-1999) will eventually become Millennials?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/22/18 at 11:31 pm

1982-1997/98 (I haven't met anyone born after 1998, at least not that I know of)

I've met many 1997 babies in the last few years and they seem like Millennials to me, albeit very young ones. Like I said, I think there's a bigger gap between '93/'94 and '95'/'96 than '94/'95 or '96/'97.

I'm a '99 born and I identify more as a Millennial than a Gen Z:

*I mostly grew up using VHS tapes and CRT TV sets. In fact, I still use VHS tapes sometimes.
*I played Crash and Spyro games growing up (PS1 and PS2).
*I don't have Snapchat, Instagram, Vine, Musical.ly, etc.
*I was no longer in high school when tide pods became a "thing"
*I have Baby Boomer parents (one is 65 already, and the other is in her very late 50's)
*I got my first cellphone at age 13 (it was a basic flip phone)
*My earliest memory took place in July 2001

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/22/18 at 11:49 pm

I think if you lived most of your childhood (let's just go with the standard ages 3-12) through 2006, then you're definitely a Millennial. The 2007-2010 era is the gray area, as it laid the foundation for the 2010s but still had visible 2000s influences. This explains why late 2000s kids (maybe 1998-2001) are the real cuspers. I just don't see how 1995ers (widely considered to be a cusp year on Personality Café) are in that same 'category' when they were already adolescents in the late 2000s. Ages 12-14 aren't quite the same as your late teens/early twenties, but it's a far cry from being just a little kid in elementary school.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 12:09 am

I asked my mom what generation she is and she said she didn't know, then I looked at her phone and she had the Instagram app installed, so she definitely belongs to Generation Z.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 12:11 am

I asked my mom what generation she is and she said she didn't know, then I looked at her phone and she had the Instagram app installed, so she definitely belongs to Generation Z.

Last time I checked, your mother had Musical.ly installed as well. I also saw her eating a bowl of tide pods for breakfast.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 12:13 am

Last time I checked, your mother had Musical.ly installed as well. I also saw her eating a bowl of tide pods for breakfast.

You probably haven't noticed this, but Musical.ly actually changed its name to "TikTok".  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 12:14 am

You probably haven't noticed this, but Musical.ly actually changed its name to "TikTok".  ;D

I never even knew that.

Written By: xenzue on 08/23/18 at 12:45 am

I worded it wrong.. what I meant was meant every year after 96 (or even 95 tbh) becomes more and more Gen Z until around 2001 when Millennial influence is completely indirect. Ppl need to remember that generations aren't defined by personal anecdotes, but by key socioeconomic factors as well as the cultural and political environment people grow up in. It can also be defined by pop culture, which is my opinion, the easiest way to see when the generation gap starts/ends.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/23/18 at 1:49 am

I worded it wrong.. what I meant was meant every year after 96 (or even 95 tbh) becomes more and more Gen Z until around 2001 when Millennial influence is completely indirect. Ppl need to remember that generations aren't defined by personal anecdotes, but by key socioeconomic factors as well as the cultural and political environment people grow up in. It can also be defined by pop culture, which is my opinion, the easiest way to see when the generation gap starts/ends.

I also think the culture of the year in which one is born strangely plays a role. That may sound ridiculous at first, but these generational definitions really do have an uncanny correlation with birth year culture. For instance, 1980ers are Gen X because 1980 itself was essentially a late 70s year. I myself was born in '91, so I feel like I straddle some sort of sub-generation gap because 1991 was a 50/50 year... not truly late 80s (1988-1990), but also not stereotypically early 90s (1992-1993).

So going back to the discussion about mid-90s babies, I guess 1994 also can represent a cutoff in the sense that it was still sort of an early 90s year culturally (the first half). But 1995, 1996 represent old school 90s and 1997 was a bit of a mid-90s year. Hell, even 1998 is pretty old school IMO. But since 1999/2000 were sort of their own thing, it makes sense that people born in these years are the ultimate cuspers. I don't think I could consider anyone born in 2001 (new millennium, GWB, fading 90s culture, and 9/11) a Millennial though.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/23/18 at 5:47 am

Ok well in that instance I agree with you. I believe the Y/Z Cusp is from 1995-2001, especially if one was born after the release of Windows 95 & prior to the 9/11 attacks. If you were born in or around this time span, you're in the Y/Z Cusp. 1997-1999 Babies are the epitome of that, so even if from a mathematical sense that 97' borns may lean more Millennial, 1998 borns 50/50, & 1999 borns more Z, that doesn't mean that every single person born in each respected birth year is going to agree with that. Some 99' borns, like Ty for instance, may feel more like a Millennial for the reasons he laid out, and others not so much. Hence why cusp categories do exist & generations in general are more fluid than rigid.

I also think the culture of the year in which one is born strangely plays a role. That may sound ridiculous at first, but these generational definitions really do have an uncanny correlation with birth year culture. For instance, 1980ers are Gen X because 1980 itself was essentially a late 70s year. I myself was born in '91, so I feel like I straddle some sort of sub-generation gap because 1991 was a 50/50 year... not truly late 80s (1988-1990), but also not stereotypically early 90s (1992-1993).

So going back to the discussion about mid-90s babies, I guess 1994 also can represent a cutoff in the sense that it was still sort of an early 90s year culturally (the first half). But 1995, 1996 represent old school 90s and 1997 was a bit of a mid-90s year. Hell, even 1998 is pretty old school IMO. But since 1999/2000 were sort of their own thing, it makes sense that people born in these years are the ultimate cuspers. I don't think I could consider anyone born in 2001 (new millennium, GWB, fading 90s culture, and 9/11) a Millennial though.

I slightly agree. There are sociological pattern that come into play on when someone was born, but also when someone was raised as well. For instance; Boomers being born mainly in the 40s & 50s (so the bulk of the generation) were born right after WWII when there was a literal 'Baby Boom'. Thus parenting trends dramatically changed to accommodate for this phenomenon, mainly when many Boomers being born as being raised as kids for much of the 1950s & 1960s. However, Generation X was born after the Sexual Revolution in the later 60s & 70s, when many Baby Boomers, whom were young adults at the time, disregarded in favor of controlling their own bodies having kids this effected Gen X's eventual demographic size. This liberal mindset ironically put Gen X at a path towards failure lacking any sense of direction. They really only had their Silent Generation parents, & they were getting divorce at sky high rates (at the time) which fostered even more confusion. Millennials were raised pretty similarly as their parents, the Baby Boomers, in the 80s & 90s. They were the first generation of helicopter parenting, 'Time Outs', Daycare, etc. However, due to the lack of technology (in comparison to today) they still had a bit of a hands off environment growing up, that many Boomers tried to balance out, where kids in the 90s could play outside for an endless amount of time (if anything, our parents encouraged us to stay outside) and thus so we could discover the world. However, this in a way gave Boomers a way to give us false promises about the world, the sort 'The World is Your Oyster' sort of attitude that unfortunately still persists in this generation today.

So all in all, I think when one's childhood took place is equally as important (arguably, a little more important) than ones birth year.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 10:54 am

I would even say cusps can be problematic. Here are some examples:

Mark Wegierski defines the Boomer/X cusp as being 1958-1967, yet people born in 1958-1960 are indisputably Boomers and people born in 1965-1967 are indisputably Gen X according to most sources: https://www.hudson.org/research/3287-defining-the-cuspers-

The range of the Xennials is 1977-1983, yet people born in 1981-1983 are undoubtedly Millennials according to many sources nowadays. Additionally, most people born in 1977-1979 are viewed as Gen X nowadays. However, at the same time, you have people born in 1981 for instance who deny the "Millennial" label:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-hipp/fck-you-im-not-a-millennial_b_9873118.html (the guy who wrote this article was born in 1981)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/23/18 at 11:44 am

I would even say cusps can be problematic. Here are some examples:

Mark Wegierski defines the Boomer/X cusp as being 1958-1967, yet people born in 1958-1960 are indisputably Boomers and people born in 1965-1967 are indisputably Gen X according to most sources: https://www.hudson.org/research/3287-defining-the-cuspers-

The range of the Xennials is 1977-1983, yet people born in 1981-1983 are undoubtedly Millennials according to many sources nowadays. Additionally, most people born in 1977-1979 are viewed as Gen X nowadays. However, at the same time, you have people born in 1981 for instance who deny the "Millennial" label:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-hipp/fck-you-im-not-a-millennial_b_9873118.html (the guy who wrote this article was born in 1981)

True, but that doesn't discard from the fact that theres still some dispute & minor confusion, hence the creation of cusps in the first place.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 11:45 am

True, but that doesn't discard from the fact that theres still some dispute & minor confusion, hence the creation of cusps in the first place.

I'm pretty sure cusps actually cause this.  ;D

Written By: unicornic on 08/23/18 at 11:53 am

I think anyone born after 1999 (after y2k) is too late to qualify as millennial. Even cusp is kinda pushing it imo. However I am only speaking from my personal interactions with others

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 12:02 pm

I think anyone born after 1999 (after y2k) is too late to qualify as millennial. Even cusp is kinda pushing it imo. However I am only speaking from my personal interactions with others

I'm only speaking from the perspective of an American, but IMO if you graduated high school after Sandy Hook but before the Parkland shooting, you're in the Y/Z Cusp. That's pretty much nearly everyone born in the second half of the 90's, which makes sense. If you were in high school during the Parkland Shooting, then you're early Gen Z. Anyone that wasn't in high school yet during the 2017-2018 school year is undeniably Gen Z IMO.
The reason why I used the Parkland shooting to define the generation is that a lot of high school's safety rules in the U.S did kind of change in the aftermath. For example, my friend that lives in Pennsylvania said that her high school has more drills now. So those in the HS C/O 2022 and after will kind of have a "new experience" if that makes any sense. That's not to say it will be very different from my experience though.

Written By: wixness on 08/23/18 at 2:19 pm

I sense a decadeology thread :/

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 2:34 pm

From personal experiences (as a 1999 born), I've never been called a Gen Z in my life by adults.

*One teacher I had when I was a senior in high school said that my year (1999) was the last of the Millennials.
*My junior year history teacher said that the people in my class were Millennials.
*One of my professors at college last year said that the people in my class were cusps (Y/Z cusps).

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 2:36 pm

From personal experiences (as a 1999 born), I've never been called a Gen Z in my life by adults.

*One teacher I had when I was a senior in high school said that my year (1999) was the last of the Millennials.
*My junior year history teacher said that the people in my class were Millennials.
*One of my professors at college last year said that the people in my class were cusps (Y/Z cusps).

Damn, professors in college actually know what generationology is?  :o ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 2:43 pm

That college professor was born in 1968.

In her opinion, 1996 is the last Millennial year, 1997-1999 are the cusp years, and 2000+ is Z. I think that this was back in October 2017, about four months before the Parkland shooting.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/23/18 at 2:44 pm

Thats called basic sociology Rainbows. When you get to college you'll learn more about it. Essentially, with any social grouping (race, religion, age cohort, etc.) there will always be a margin of error or a certain group of people that won't always coincide with overall larger amount of data. So in the case of generations, that margin of error, or where there is specific dispute, is known as 'cups'. Its not generationology (or whatever new condescending 'ology' term someone slaps onto something on this site), its basic sociology...

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 2:53 pm

That college professor was born in 1968.

In her opinion, 1996 is the last Millennial year, 1997-1999 are the cusp years, and 2000+ is Z. I think that this was back in October 2017, about four months before the Parkland shooting.

Even today, I still think that makes sense. I agree with her.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 2:54 pm

I'm only speaking from the perspective of an American, but IMO if you graduated high school after Sandy Hook but before the Parkland shooting, you're in the Y/Z Cusp. That's pretty much nearly everyone born in the second half of the 90's, which makes sense. If you were in high school during the Parkland Shooting, then you're early Gen Z. Anyone that wasn't in high school yet during the 2017-2018 school year is undeniably Gen Z IMO.
The reason why I used the Parkland shooting to define the generation is that a lot of high school's safety rules in the U.S did kind of change in the aftermath. For example, my friend that lives in Pennsylvania said that her high school has more drills now. So those in the HS C/O 2022 and after will kind of have a "new experience" if that makes any sense. That's not to say it will be very different from my experience though.

I would say that 2018 is the first year where Generation Z has a legit identity (2013-2017 being the bridge between Y and Z):

*Tide pods are basically the first exclusively Gen Z stereotype.

*The Parkland shooting and March for Lives movement gives Gen Z a voice in politics for the first time.

*The hipster glasses of 2008-2017 go out of style and get replaced with aviator eyeglasses (not really sure if this is necessary regarding Generation Z's identity, but this is definitely a sign that times are changing).

*Gen Z yellow becomes trendy. Millennial Pink of 2016-2017 goes out of style.

*XXXTentacion's death is the first famous celebrity death that impacted Gen Z.

*Not really sure if this counts, but many shows that were integral to 2010's culture are ending or have ended in 2018.

*Traditionalist Worker Party becomes defunct, Identity Evropa experiencing "steep declines in membership", the second Unite the Right rally only having about 20 people, Patrick Little and Paul Nehlen losing - this is a sign that times are changing and that people are probably finally getting sick of the Alt-right vs SJW drama.

*These articles about Gen Z taking over in 2018:
http://time.com/5250542/generation-z/
http://www.aecf.org/blog/generation-z-in-the-statistical-spotlight/
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Generation-Z-Millennials-iGen-Chloe-Kim-Logan-Paul-12718146.php
https://www.salon.com/2018/02/22/parkland-put-a-new-generation-in-the-spotlight-and-theyre-ready-for-it/
https://www.cosmeticsdesign-asia.com/Article/2018/03/06/2018-will-be-the-year-of-Gen-Z-report-reveals

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 2:59 pm

Thats called basic sociology Rainbows. When you get to college you'll learn more about it. Essentially, with any social grouping (race, religion, age cohort, etc.) there will always be a margin of error or a certain group of people that won't always coincide with overall larger amount of data. So in the case of generations, that margin of error, or where there is specific dispute, is known as 'cups'. Its not generationology (or whatever new condescending 'ology' term someone slaps onto something on this site), its basic sociology...

On Popedia, she doesn't go by "rainbow" anymore. She now goes by "vaeslynn"

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/18 at 3:05 pm

I would classify it under marketing rather than sociology.

"Baby Boomer" is a demographic term, not a sociological term. Marketers latched onto the idea to give their ideas some credible pseudo-scientific flare, but the fact of the matter is, someone born 1964 doesn't have much in common with someone born 1946 and their inclusion into the same sociological group is 100% arbitrary.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 3:05 pm

On Popedia, she doesn't go by "rainbow" anymore. She now goes by "vaeslynn"

Yeah but this is inthe00s lol.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 3:10 pm

Yeah but this is inthe00s lol.

That's why I said "on Popedia".

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 3:14 pm

I'm not sure if you mind me asking, but since you were born in March of 1996, did you graduate from college yet?

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 3:44 pm

I would say that 2018 is the first year where Generation Z has a legit identity (2013-2017 being the bridge between Y and Z):

*The Parkland shooting and March for Lives movement gives Gen Z a voice in politics for the first time.

*The hipster glasses of 2008-2017 go out of style and get replaced with aviator eyeglasses (not really sure if this is necessary regarding Generation Z's identity, but this is definitely a sign that times are changing).

*Not really sure if this counts, but many shows that were integral to 2010's culture are ending or have ended in 2018.

*Traditionalist Worker Party becomes defunct, Identity Evropa experiencing "steep declines in membership", the second Unite the Right rally only having about 20 people, Patrick Little and Paul Nehlen losing - this is a sign that times are changing and that people are probably finally getting sick of the Alt-right vs SJW drama.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Generation-Z-Millennials-iGen-Chloe-Kim-Logan-Paul-12718146.php
https://www.salon.com/2018/02/22/parkland-put-a-new-generation-in-the-spotlight-and-theyre-ready-for-it/
https://www.cosmeticsdesign-asia.com/Article/2018/03/06/2018-will-be-the-year-of-Gen-Z-report-reveals

I agree.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/23/18 at 3:46 pm

I'll say 2017 since it was the year the switch launched, fidget spinner fad, Trump inauguration and that was the first year I heard people used Gen Z in the mainstream media and just on the internet.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 3:53 pm

I'll say 2017 since it was the year the switch launched, fidget spinner fad, Trump inauguration and that was the first year I heard people used Gen Z in the mainstream media and just on the internet.

The launch of a game console doesn't mean anything when it comes to generations.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 3:59 pm

Summer 2016 had Pokemon Go for example. If anything, it was a stupid summer trend just like fidget spinners were the following year.

You may have had fidget spinners and Trump's inauguration in 2017, but did the Parkland shooting happen yet? Did aviator eyeglasses make a comeback yet? Did tide pods become notorious yet? All three no. If anything, 2017 had more in common with 2016 than it did with 2018.

2017 is not only the last bridge year, but it is also arguably the last core 2010's year.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/23/18 at 4:12 pm

2016 had Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go and fidget spinners, if anything, were just stupid summer trends.

You may have had fidget spinners and Trump's inauguration in 2017, but did the Parkland shooting happen yet? Did aviator eyeglasses make a comeback yet? Did tide pods become notorious yet? All three no. If anything, 2017 had more in common with 2016 than it did with 2018.

2017 is not only the last bridge year, but it is also arguably the last core 2010's year.
2017 felt more Gen z than 2016 to me. While 2016 started late 10s culture 2017 solidified it. I remember last summer people on this thread felt like we were officially in the late 10s. Youtube changing it's logo, cuphead, fortnite, Jake Paul gaining more awareness as a rapper, the flossing dance kids do and the rise 2000s nostagla memes.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/23/18 at 4:25 pm

No single event or cultural phenomenon is a make or break, with the exception of maybe 9/11... and even that has its flaws. The justification for the 1996 cutoff seems to be that 1997 babies weren't in elementary school yet, so they possibly couldn't remember 9/11. Anecdotally however, most people don't seem to remember age 5. And what about those born in the second half of '96 who entered kindergarten with 1997 babies?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 4:28 pm

2017 felt more Gen z than 2016 to me. While 2016 started late 10s culture 2017 solidified it. I remember last summer people on this thread felt like we were officially in the late 10s. Youtube changing it's logo, cuphead, fortnite, Jake Paul gaining more awareness as a rapper, the flossing dance kids do and the rise 2000s nostagla memes.

That was late 2017. I never even heard of Fortnite until very late in 2017, and 2018 seems to be the first year of 2000's nostalgia being an official thing.

2010-2012: Y
2013-2017: Y/Z
2018-2019: Z

Written By: Wobo on 08/23/18 at 5:15 pm

2016 had Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go and fidget spinners, if anything, were just stupid summer trends.

Lol what? Fidget spinners was popular in 2017 not 16.

Written By: Wobo on 08/23/18 at 5:19 pm

What the? Nobody even takes Jake Paul seriously enough to become a rapper, he never had a song that had been om the charts before or even number one. He's not even a rapper also, he's just an idiot vlogger, also i think you only mean that 2017 was Gen Z because Jake Paul began to be popular on youtube.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 5:21 pm

Lol what? Fidget spinners was popular in 2017 not 16.

I never said that they were popular in 2016. I said that Pokemon Go (which was popular in 2016) and fidget spinners were both stupid summer trends. The former was a summer 2016 trend whereas the latter was a summer 2017 trend.

Written By: Wobo on 08/23/18 at 5:22 pm

I never said that they were popular in 2016. I said that Pokemon Go (which was popular in 2016) and fidget spinners were both stupid summer trends. The former was a summer 2016 trend whereas the latter was a summer 2017 trend.

You said 2016 was Pokemon go pokemon go fidget spinners. Also from what i remember fidget spinners were a spring/early summer 2017 trend.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 5:24 pm

You said 2016 was Pokemon go pokemon go fidget spinners. Also from what i remember fidget spinners were a springer/early summer 2017 trend,

No; I was just comparing fidget spinners to Pokemon Go because they were summer trends that died off quickly.

I never said that fidget spinners were a thing in 2016.

Written By: Wobo on 08/23/18 at 5:27 pm

No; I was just comparing fidget spinners to Pokemon Go because they were summer trends that died off quickly.

I never said that fidget spinners were a thing in 2016.

"2016 had Pokemon go. Pokemon go and fidget spinners,"

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 5:32 pm

"2016 had Pokemon go. Pokemon go and fidget spinners,"

You misread my post.

In that post, I was just comparing Pokemon Go with fidget spinners. I know that 2016 didn't have fidget spinners.

Written By: Wobo on 08/23/18 at 5:34 pm

You misread my post.

In that post, I was just comparing Pokemon Go with fidget spinners. I know that 2016 didn't have fidget spinners.

You could've been more specific with that just saying. I didn't misread it, it literally said that on the post.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/23/18 at 5:37 pm

What the? Nobody even takes Jake Paul seriously enough to become a rapper, he never had a song that had been om the charts before or even number one. He's not even a rapper also, he's just an idiot vlogger, also i think you only mean that 2017 was Gen Z because Jake Paul began to be popular on youtube.
Prior to 2017 the only people who really paid attention to Jake Paul were kids, nobody on this fourm knew who the Paul brothers were last year. Late 2017 is still 2017, so at least August of 2017 is when we all agreed that we were in the late 10s.

Written By: Wobo on 08/23/18 at 5:39 pm

Prior to 2017 the only people who really paid attention to Jake Paul were kids, nobody on this fourm knew who the Paul brothers were last year. Late 2017 is still 2017, so at least August of 2017 is when we all agreed that we were in the late 10s.

What? That's not what i was explaining, i was saying that nobody even takes jake paul seriously enough as a rapper (because he isn't). Anyone (kids obviously) who does probably has nuts for brains. Also Jake Paul got popular in mid 2017 when he released the song Everyday Bro which everyone started to meme the hell out of it and saw it as a joke lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/23/18 at 5:40 pm

I'm monitoring this thread to see if I should lock it.

I'm just giving you guys an FYI.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 5:41 pm

No single event or cultural phenomenon is a make or break, with the exception of maybe 9/11... and even that has its flaws. The justification for the 1996 cutoff seems to be that 1997 babies weren't in elementary school yet, so they possibly couldn't remember 9/11. Anecdotally however, most people don't seem to remember age 5. And what about those born in the second half of '96 who entered kindergarten with 1997 babies?

Nah, 9/11 isn't an exception. That's why this whole generation thing is hard to pinpoint. You can pretty much use any event to define a generation but it's always going to have its flaws. Like the event I used was obviously way too American-centric and it's the same thing with 9/11.

Also, you can't say most people don't remember age five because you don't know how most people's memories work.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/23/18 at 5:49 pm

Like I was saying earlier, being a millenal is more of a mindset than an a actual generation.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/23/18 at 6:17 pm

Nah, 9/11 isn't an exception. That's why this whole generation thing is hard to pinpoint. You can pretty much use any event to define a generation but it's always going to have its flaws. Like the event I used was obviously way too American-centric and it's the same thing with 9/11.

Also, you can't say most people don't remember age five because you don't know how most people's memories work.

In regard with 9/11 memories, I would say that 2013 classmen and older have a likely chance to remember it.

Class of 2014 is about 50/50.

2015-2017 classmen have an unlikely chance of remembering the event. Some may remember 2001, but not 9/11.

It is basically impossible for 2018 classmen and younger to remember the event.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/23/18 at 6:36 pm

In regard with 9/11 memories, I would say that 2013 classmen and older have a likely chance to remember it.

Class of 2014 is about 50/50.

2015-2017 classmen have an unlikely chance of remembering the event. Some may remember 2001, but not 9/11.

It is basically impossible for 2018 classmen and younger to remember the event.

I agree. I also think the odds are skewered higher for those that live in or near NYC, and lower for those that lived in a rural area, and of course outside the US.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/23/18 at 6:38 pm

1982-1990 = 2K Generation
1991-1999 = Centennials (last born in 20th century, came of age during formative years of 21st century)
Based off 9-year generation theory, going back to 1883. The moniker "centennial" should become synonymous for the second half of Gen Y, not for Gen Z.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 6:48 pm

1982-1990 = 2K Generation
1991-1999 = Centennials (last born in 20th century, came of age during formative years of 21st century)

If I had a penny for every time you copied and pasted your generation theory I'd be a trillionaire.  ;D

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/23/18 at 6:51 pm

If I had a penny for every time you copied and pasted your generation theory I'd be a trillionaire.  ;D
Nah, you'd have about 30 cents max.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/23/18 at 6:52 pm

Nah, you'd have about 30 cents max.

Nah that's a huge understatement lol.

Written By: Encoder319 on 08/23/18 at 7:24 pm

I qualified my statement with "anecdotally." Many people seem to not remember age 5 well, so it's not an absolute given that someone born in 1996 remembers 9/11.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/24/18 at 12:21 am

Like I was saying earlier, being a millenal is more of a mindset than an a actual generation.

No it's not.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/24/18 at 1:02 am

Nah, Angry Birds is the only strict 10's thing in that photo (which I was addicted to throughout my freshman year of high school and the summer after BTW)
Well, the title is still incorrect. It doesn't necessarily mean it could be for 00s kids.

This post is another misconception about Millennials and Gen Z. The prime Millennials *are* digital native. Internet, flip phones, CDs, DVDs, MP3 players, etc. The only analog things we grew up with were VHS and possibly cassette tapes for boomboxes and voice recorders. Someone born in 1988, for instance, may remember a time before the Internet, but they wouldn't have been old enough to use it even had it existed in like 1994.
And floppy disks. OTT, I agree that Millennials are the digital natives. Most of them especially the older ones don't seem to realize that. I mean throughout development, we used all the devices at some point and now had nostalgic memories with them.

I'm also with you on events. There's honestly more than just one phenomenon that defines each generation, and for Millennials, it's not only 9/11 either. Other ones are the celebration of the Millennium, Afghanistan and Iraq Wars, the election of Obama. The 2008 Recession, that Wall Street ordeal and possibly BLM, and the SJW/Alt-Right protests. All of those occurrences impacted Millennials just as much as 9/11 did.

No, it's not.
I have to agree too. The stereotypes that describe Millennials only truly apply to a small minority and don't represent the entire group. Most of them are genuinely ordinary people.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/24/18 at 8:38 am

Well, the title is still incorrect. It doesn't necessarily mean it could be for 00s kids.
And floppy disks. OTT, I agree that Millennials are the digital natives. Most of them especially the older ones don't seem to realize that. I mean throughout development, we used all the devices at some point and now had nostalgic memories with them.

I'm also with you on events. There's honestly more than just one phenomenon that defines each generation, and for Millennials, it's not only 9/11 either. Other ones are the celebration of the Millennium, Afghanistan and Iraq Wars, the election of Obama. The 2008 Recession, that Wall Street ordeal and possibly BLM, and the SJW/Alt-Right protests. All of those occurrences impacted Millennials just as much as 9/11 did.
I have to agree too. The stereotypes that describe Millennials only truly apply to a small minority and don't represent the entire group. Most of them are genuinely ordinary people.

I agree.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/24/18 at 9:48 am

I agree.

I second this.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/24/18 at 10:31 am

Anyways, I generally agree. I think marketers place too much emphasis on strict cutoff dates. Many regular folk also do the same thing. Overall, to place too much emphasis on events like Y2K or 9/11 is a bit inaccurate. While those two events were pretty, similar to how the Cuban Missile Crisis & JFK’s Assassination were to Boommers, it doesn’t mean that one has to remember those two events to be considered part of that generation. In fact; there’s a category in the Boomer generation called Generation Jones or the ‘Shadow Boomers’ born circa 1959-1964 whom may not remember the JFK assassination, could still remember many other watershed moments pertaining to Boomers like the RFK/MLK assassinations, the Vietnam War, The Landing of the Moon, Beatlemania, & The Watergate Scandal, to name a few.

The same can be said for Millennials; while there is a lot of evidence in claiming that those born in 1994 are the last to objectively be apart of the ‘Core’ of the Millennial generation due to being the last to have been born in the first half of the 1990s, in mandatory schooling during Y2K /Dawn of the New Millennium along with the last to have been in mandatory school in the 90s, the last to have their entire core childhood in 2004 prior before Z childhood trends started to emerge/during the Web 1.0 Era, the last to become teens in 2007 when 2000s cultural was still at its peak, the last to graduate high school in 2012 prior to Z influences starting to get big, & the last to vote for Obama in 2012’ and or those born in 1996 due to them being the last to have been born in the mid 1990s/during Clinton’s 1st term, the last to have been in pre-school in the 1990s & potentially being able to remember Y2K, the last to have been in mandatory schooling during 9/11 (I’d say 60%-70% remember it but location and personal relation to the attack’s matters; in my area of the NYC metropolitan area it would be closer to like 80%-90%), last to spend most of their core childhood in 2004 & before during the late Y era of Kid culture/during the Web 1.0 Era, the very last to have been teenagers in the 2000s, the last to graduate high school in the first half of the 2010s & spend most of their high school years in the early 2010s, & finally the last to have voted in the 2014 Midterms which is devoid of Trump being in politics (& thank God for that, things were a lot more civil back then :\'().

However, as stated before, those born after 1994 or 1996 upto about (for arguments sake) 2000 are still Millennials, but what I would call them are ‘Shadow Millennials’. They may not (or very little) remember Y2K or 9/11, but they still certainly remember The Controversial Iraq War, Hurricaine Katrina, The Late 2000s Oil Shock, The Great Recession, & ‘Obama mania’, to name a few, that were all cultural watershed moments for the Millennial Generation. If you remember all of these events vividly, along with spending most of your childhood years prior to 2008, & teenaged/youth years (Youth being ages 9-24 roughly) before 2016, than I’d say you’re a Millennial, definitely. Core Millennials are moreso people born in the Late 80s-Early 90s (& mid 80s & mid 90s to some extent) whom remember all of these events in great detail. Core Millennials are essentially those in their early/mid 20s-early 30s as of now. Older Millennials (or Xennials) are those in their mid 30s as of now, and ‘Shadow Millennials’ are those in their late teens/early 20s as of now or essentially the bulk of the current college aged population.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/24/18 at 10:57 am

Anyways, I generally agree. I think marketers place too much emphasis on strict cutoff dates. Many regular folk also do the same thing. Overall, to place too much emphasis on events like Y2K or 9/11 is a bit inaccurate. While those two events were pretty, similar to how the Cuban Missile Crisis & JFK’s Assassination were to Boommers, it doesn’t mean that one has to remember those two events to be considered part of that generation. In fact; there’s a category in the Boomer generation called Generation Jones or the ‘Shadow Boomers’ born circa 1959-1964 whom may not remember the JFK assassination, could still remember many other watershed moments pertaining to Boomers like the RFK/MLK assassinations, the Vietnam War, The Landing of the Moon, Beatlemania, & The Watergate Scandal, to name a few.

The same can be said for Millennials; while there is a lot of evidence in claiming that those born in 1994 are the last to objectively be apart of the ‘Core’ of the Millennial generation due to being the last to have been born in the first half of the 1990s, in mandatory schooling during Y2K /Dawn of the New Millennium along with the last to have been in mandatory school in the 90s, the last to have their entire core childhood in 2004 prior before Z childhood trends started to emerge/during the Web 1.0 Era, the last to become teens in 2007 when 2000s cultural was still at its peak, the last to graduate high school in 2012 prior to Z influences starting to get big, & the last to vote for Obama in 2012’ and or those born in 1996 due to them being the last to have been born in the mid 1990s/during Clinton’s 1st term, the last to have been in pre-school in the 1990s & potentially being able to remember Y2K, the last to have been in mandatory schooling during 9/11 (I’d say 60%-70% remember it but location and personal relation to the attack’s matters; in my area of the NYC metropolitan area it would be closer to like 80%-90%), last to spend most of their core childhood in 2004 & before during the late Y era of Kid culture/during the Web 1.0 Era, the very last to have been teenagers in the 2000s, the last to graduate high school in the first half of the 2010s & spend most of their high school years in the early 2010s, & finally the last to have voted in the 2014 Midterms which is devoid of Trump being in politics (& thank God for that, things were a lot more civil back then :\'().

However, as stated before, those born after 1994 or 1996 upto about (for arguments sake) 2000 are still Millennials, but what I would call them are ‘Shadow Millennials’. They may not (or very little) remember Y2K or 9/11, but they still certainly remember The Controversial Iraq War, Hurricaine Katrina, The Late 2000s Oil Shock, The Great Recession, & ‘Obama mania’, to name a few, that were all cultural watershed moments for the Millennial Generation. If you remember all of these events vividly, along with spending most of your childhood years prior to 2008, & teenaged/youth years (Youth being ages 9-24 roughly) before 2016, than I’d say you’re a Millennial, definitely. Core Millennials are moreso people born in the Late 80s-Early 90s (& mid 80s & mid 90s to some extent) whom remember all of these events in great detail. Core Millennials are essentially those in their early/mid 20s-early 30s as of now. Older Millennials (or Xennials) are those in their mid 30s as of now, and ‘Shadow Millennials’ are those in their late teens/early 20s as of now or essentially the bulk of the current college aged population.

Didn't you say that youth was around 9-23 last year (with your 16th birthday being the peak of youth)?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/24/18 at 11:18 am

Didn't you say that youth was around 9-23 last year (with your 16th birthday being the peak of youth)?

Originally it was 11-22, than I revised it to 9-24, which is what I stand with now. That’s a total of 15 years, with the halfway point being when one is 16.5 years old, or more simply when one is between the ages of 16 & 17. So for me, as an example, that would be from 2005-2020, with it peaking in 2012-2013 around when I was a Junior in High School.

Written By: 2001 on 08/24/18 at 11:22 am

Originally it was 11-22, than I revised it to 9-24, which is what I stand with now. That’s a total of 15 years, with the halfway point being when one is 16.5 years old, or more simply when one is between the ages of 16 & 17. So for me, as an example, that would be from 2005-2020, with it peaking in 2012-2013 around when I was a Junior in High School.

And how did you come up with these definitions?

I'm willing to bet you're almost 23 and realized it isn't as old as you thought it was ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/24/18 at 11:25 am

No offense, but halves are kind of controversial.

For example, people born in the first half of 1994 will spend most of their youth in 2010 (according to your definition), whereas people born in the second half of 1994 will spend most of their youth in 2011 (according to your definition).

And according to your youth definition, people born in the first half of 1999 are Millennials whereas people born in the second half of 1999 (like myself) are not.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/24/18 at 11:26 am

4.5 billion B.C - August 31st, 2001 11:59:59 PM: Millennials
September 1st, 2001 12:00:00 AM - August 31st, 2002 11:59:59 PM: Coolest Generation in History
September 1st, 2002 12:00:00 AM - present: Core Gen Z

I think this is probably the most accurate definition I've ever seen. I agree.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/24/18 at 12:05 pm

I think this is probably the most accurate definition I've ever seen. I agree.

I have a feeling that SeaCaptainMan97 is an adherent of Rainbowism, a new religion that was established in 2018.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/24/18 at 12:51 pm

Alright, this discussion is going nowhere. Nothing substantial is being discussed. THREAD LOCKED.

Check for new replies or respond here...