inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Future Animator Here...2010’s cartoons coming to an end?

Written By: gotuokere on 08/29/18 at 12:10 pm

Hello there! My name is Gabriel Otuokere and I am an aspiring animator. I entered the Nickelodeon Artist Program recently and I’ve gotten an internship at Nickelodeon as a storyboard artist. I’m so excited to get a hands on professional experience in animation. I actually have a show idea for Nickelodeon. No kidding! As a creator I’ve noticed that a lot of 2010 cartoons are ending (mostly from Cartoon Network) but nonetheless, this new era of cartoons is definitely coming to closure. With 2020’s coming up very soon, how do you think 2020’s cartoons will be like? With that being said, my show idea for Nick (once it’s approved by the Network) will be in the vain of cartoons from the 2000’s (like Catscratch, ChalkZone, The Mighty B, El Tigre) because those are the cartoons I grew up watching and I want to imitate their old school, Hanna Barbera-esque style. What do you think? Is emulating a past style of cartoons for 2020’s a good idea? Should I continue the 2010’s cartoon style? Or should I develop an all new style of cartoons for the 2020’s? Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Future Animator Here...2010’s cartoons coming to an end?

Written By: Wobo on 08/29/18 at 12:25 pm

That is so awesome! I think i've seen your youtube channel before i'm not sure, i'm 14 and i also wanna become an animator too, i'm planning to animate sometime soon once i get a computer. I think 2010s cartoons are possibly coming to an end soon, while new ones are being made. Adventure Time ends on Monday which is sad. Its kinda exciting to see new stuff come out and i'm pretty excited about '20s cartoons, i think in the future most of them will be on streaming, like on Netflix in the 2020s.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/29/18 at 12:27 pm

I think it would be pretty cool if you emulated the style of cartoons from the 2000's, while also having your own spin on it! Plenty of shows from the late 90's and early 2000's were trying to copy the style of 1950's UPN cartoons so I don't think theres anything wrong with emulating a style. In the end though I think it would be best for you to stick with your own creative vision and make whatever YOU want.

Written By: annimal on 08/29/18 at 1:17 pm

I don't know  ( oops, not again)

Written By: Milk on 08/29/18 at 2:10 pm

2010s style of cartoons were kinda ugly no offence just try to do what appeals to you is my advice we're not even sure what the 2020s style of cartoons is even gonna look like

Written By: John Titor on 08/29/18 at 3:17 pm

Hello there! My name is Gabriel Otuokere and I am an aspiring animator. I entered the Nickelodeon Artist Program recently and I’ve gotten an internship at Nickelodeon as a storyboard artist. I’m so excited to get a hands on professional experience in animation. I actually have a show idea for Nickelodeon. No kidding! As a creator I’ve noticed that a lot of 2010 cartoons are ending (mostly from Cartoon Network) but nonetheless, this new era of cartoons is definitely coming to closure. With 2020’s coming up very soon, how do you think 2020’s cartoons will be like? With that being said, my show idea for Nick (once it’s approved by the Network) will be in the vain of cartoons from the 2000’s (like Catscratch, ChalkZone, The Mighty B, El Tigre) because those are the cartoons I grew up watching and I want to imitate their old school, Hanna Barbera-esque style. What do you think? Is emulating a past style of cartoons for 2020’s a good idea? Should I continue the 2010’s cartoon style? Or should I develop an all new style of cartoons for the 2020’s? Thoughts?

Here are some tips, do not emulate 2010s cartoons what so ever, I noticed most animation this decade seems very stiff and almost flash cartoon looking, Think like how Dragon Ball Supers new animation looks cheap and stiff compared to DBZ, I would say do something unique but add a touch of early 2000s flair to it. The whole 90's wave has already reached its peak and its already waning now so I would tend to stay away from that.

As far as 2010s cartoons go yeah that era is dying out, not to get into decadeolgy but the year ending in 8 is usually when you see that decades trends come to an end.

Something I would like to see come back is Clay Mation, but due to time that would not be likely

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/29/18 at 3:20 pm

Here are some tips, do not emulate 2010s cartoons what so ever, I noticed most animation this decade seems very stiff and almost flash cartoon looking, Think like how Dragon Ball Supers new animation looks cheap and stiff compared to DBZ, I would say do something unique but add a touch of early 2000s flair to it. The whole 90's wave has already reached its peak and its already waning now so I would tend to stay away from that.

As far as 2010s cartoons go yeah that era is dying out, not to get into decadeolgy but the year ending in 8 is usually when you see that decades trends come to an end.

I agree.

That was the case for 2008 (electropop age ushering in, Obama), 1988 (gangsta rap and alternative starting to become popular), and probably even 1978 (I am really not sure about this one, but there are some songs from 1978, such as "Driver's Seat". "Heart of Glass", and "Rasputin" that are actually lumped as being 80's instead of 70's).

1997 was one of those years, but it did not end with an 8. The age of teen pop ushered in (also ushering in Millennial culture), TV parental ratings came, and South Park debuting basically made adult cartoons become more popular.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/29/18 at 3:47 pm

I really wish Gargoyles would make a comeback.

Written By: gotuokere on 08/29/18 at 4:21 pm

I think it would be pretty cool if you emulated the style of cartoons from the 2000's, while also having your own spin on it! Plenty of shows from the late 90's and early 2000's were trying to copy the style of 1950's UPN cartoons so I don't think theres anything wrong with emulating a style. In the end though I think it would be best for you to stick with your own creative vision and make whatever YOU want.

That's what I was thinking. Cultural styles fluctuate so I think 2000's style cartoons can return. Those are the cartoons I really want to try a hand at inspiration-wise.

2010s style of cartoons were kinda ugly no offence just try to do what appeals to you is my advice we're not even sure what the 2020s style of cartoons is even gonna look like

I agree, you did not offend me at all. I'm not a fan of 2010's cartoons at all, they just weren't my cup of tea. Save for a few exceptions, 2010's has been one of my least favorite decade for cartoons. They seem to put a lot of modern trends which probably won't age too well in the future. I believe cartoons should be as timeless as possible.

Written By: John Titor on 08/29/18 at 4:22 pm

That's what I was thinking. Cultural styles fluctuate so I think 2000's style cartoons can return. Those are the cartoons I really want to try a hand at inspiration-wise.

I agree, you did not offend me at all. I'm not a fan of 2010's cartoons at all, they just weren't my cup of tea. Save for a few exceptions, 2010's has been one of my least favorite decade for cartoons. They seem to put a lot of modern trends which probably won't age to well in the future. I believe cartoons should be as timeless as possible.

Whatever you do don't use the stiff flash type of animation we have seen in the 2010s

Written By: gotuokere on 08/29/18 at 6:50 pm

Whatever you do don't use the stiff flash type of animation we have seen in the 2010s

My cartoons will use traditional animation, which means the characters are drawn by hand on paper, frame by frame. Much like shows such as SpongeBob, Catscratch and The Mighty B. Other shows I want to get inspiration from are Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partner’s a Monkey and Chowder. So expect something like that. I also get a lot of inspiration from old cartoons like Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes. Video games like Mario have also had a toll of influence on me. Even books like the Captain Underpants series. I try to get inspiration from a lot of the entertainment I enjoyed as a kid.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/30/18 at 8:35 am

Hey! It's great to know there's another aspiring animator on this site. That's so awesome. I'm the same! ;D Always been interested in animation and I am studying it in college. That's great you got an internship as this industry is so hard to get into. I actually managed to meet one of my inspirations, Peter Lord from Aardman Animations earlier this year at Ireland's animation festival. I also got to pitch and show my work to a few companies but alas didn't get anything! So it's great that you've got something! If it was me I would definitely try to develop a style that is in contrast to the 2010's as generally animation from a certain decade tends to contrast to the decade that went before it and be different in look and tone in a way. But that's just my two cents  ;D

Written By: duenas8 on 08/30/18 at 9:54 am

I think the 2020’s animation will look more mature and less childish as it was in this decade, pretty much like in the late 90s-early 00s.
An upcoming series called Urbance and the new animated Spider-Man movie could shape the beginning of the 20’s animation with darker themes and digitized effects.
Just opinion tho

8F_rXxp6KY8
g4Hbz2jLxvQ

Check for new replies or respond here...