inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Predictions on when the early 20’s culture starts

Written By: JD120300 on 09/03/18 at 1:27 am

Hi, I’m a brand new user and I’ve been a guest for over two years and I’ve finally decided to make an account on here but I’m guessing the early 20’s will culturally start sometime in Late 2019.

Subject: Re: Predictions on when the early 20’s culture starts

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/18 at 5:27 am

Hi, I’m a brand new user and I’ve been a guest for over two years and I’ve finally decided to make an account on here but I’m guessing the early 20’s will culturally start sometime in Late 2019.

Well I guess it officially has started, as of this thread!  ;D

Written By: ofkx on 09/03/18 at 6:08 am

I actually don't think the early 20s will ever really have a very defined culture (although I hope they will). I think that 2010s culture might still last till around 2022 or so.

Written By: Dundee on 09/03/18 at 6:17 am

No real point in debating this kind of stuff. It might be a sudden change, it might be a gradual one. Looking at how many stuff due to be released in 2020, it might start on time, maybe not. Only time would tell.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/03/18 at 7:46 am

My guess: Around 2021-2022.

"60's culture" began in 1962
"70's culture" began in 1971
"80's culture" began in 1981
"90's culture" began in 1991
"2000's culture" began in 2001
"2010's culture" began in 2012

Written By: 2001 on 09/03/18 at 8:26 am

No one can predict the future.

Written By: John Titor on 09/03/18 at 11:07 am

it's happening right now, here is everything that has led up to make early 2020's culture happen,
it's up to you to see where this will lead. This is mainly the changes we have seen in late 2010s
that will help form the 2020's

-Death of Hipster, Portlandia admitted the show was ending because hipster was passe, go back to my previous threads to read all the
articles about Hipster dying.

- Waning of EDM,  Calvin Harris even said the EDM bubble has burst and its on bide time.

- EMO NITE, the up and coming underground  festival  that is slowly out growing EDM festivals

- Sling TV, Direct TV NOW, PS VUE,  these LIVE TV streaming services are overtaking traditional services like Comcast and Cox

-  EMO RAP, the movement is reach new heights with the death of XXX and songs from JuiceWrld on the charts.

- End of the 2010s shows,  ADventure time, Game of Thrones last season etc

- Suburbs are back,  I listed an article explaining why people are moving back to suburban areas

- TGIF has returned to ABC,  not sure if this is a shift but its changes to tv mood a little bit

- 80s style Horror like Stranger Things  replaces Dystopian craze

-  #metoo in question, the movement seems to be derailed due to one of its founders Asia being a pedophile.

- Donald Trump being elected in 2016, made the whole vibe change (don't ask just research for yourself)

-  Peak reboot,  everything is being rebooted

-  Self Driving Cars,  we will see this get more popular in a few, Apple right now is testing vehicles in silicon valley

- Rise of STD's,  someone on here already linked an article that STDS are the highest its ever been, this mainly due in
fact that dating apps such as OKCUPID, POF, TINDER have risen at the same rate stds have been reported to rise as well.
For awhile these apps were promoting promiscuous hookup culture, so its no surprise these are on the rise.

The core 2010s culture as you know right now is fizzling out, so now is a very good time to analyze how these new trends
will shape the future.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/03/18 at 11:33 am

it's happening right now, here is everything that has led up to make early 2020's culture happen,
it's up to you to see where this will lead. This is mainly the changes we have seen in late 2010s
that will help form the 2020's

-Death of Hipster, Portlandia admitted the show was ending because hipster was passe, go back to my previous threads to read all the
articles about Hipster dying.

- Waning of EDM,  Calvin Harris even said the EDM bubble has burst and its on bide time.

- EMO NITE, the up and coming underground  festival  that is slowly out growing EDM festivals

- Sling TV, Direct TV NOW, PS VUE,  these LIVE TV streaming services are overtaking traditional services like Comcast and Cox

-  EMO RAP, the movement is reach new heights with the death of XXX and songs from JuiceWrld on the charts.

- End of the 2010s shows,  ADventure time, Game of Thrones last season etc

- Suburbs are back,  I listed an article explaining why people are moving back to suburban areas

- TGIF has returned to ABC,  not sure if this is a shift but its changes to tv mood a little bit

- 80s style Horror like Stranger Things  replaces Dystopian craze

-  #metoo in question, the movement seems to be derailed due to one of its founders Asia being a pedophile.

- Donald Trump being elected in 2016, made the whole vibe change (don't ask just research for yourself)

-  Peak reboot,  everything is being rebooted

-  Self Driving Cars,  we will see this get more popular in a few, Apple right now is testing vehicles in silicon valley

- Rise of STD's,  someone on here already linked an article that STDS are the highest its ever been, this mainly due in
fact that dating apps such as OKCUPID, POF, TINDER have risen at the same rate stds have been reported to rise as well.
For awhile these apps were promoting promiscuous hookup culture, so its no surprise these are on the rise.

The core 2010s culture as you know right now is fizzling out, so now is a very good time to analyze how these new trends
will shape the future.

Those make 2018 late 2010's, not early 2020's.

Written By: JD120300 on 09/03/18 at 11:50 am

Those make 2018 late 2010's, not early 2020's.

I agree. All of those sums up 2018 being a full late 10’s year

Written By: John Titor on 09/03/18 at 11:51 am

I agree. All of those sums up 2018 being a full late 10’s year

But those are the trends that are going to shape the 2020s is what I am saying

many of those things I listed are still in infancy

Written By: xenzue on 09/03/18 at 1:44 pm

My bet is mid 2021 to early 2022. So far 2018 has given us hints here and there but what 20s culture will actually consist of is still a big mystery lol. I think 2019 is just going to give us a glimpse of what's to come.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/18 at 3:19 pm

The question on my mind is...

When will this thread get locked?  ???

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/07/18 at 7:07 pm

My guess: Around 2021-2022.

"60's culture" began in 1962
"70's culture" began in 1971
"80's culture" began in 1981
"90's culture" began in 1991
"2000's culture" began in 2001
"2010's culture" began in 2012

Way off. The Seventies may have started in earnest anywhere from post-Woodstock 1969 until 1974, with the resignation of Nixon. The Nineties may have started as early as '88 if you look at the silent but burgeoning growth of the alternative scene.

I won't predict when the 2020s will "begin," but I will say the core 2010s seemed to come to a screeching halt basically the day after the 2016 election. The whole tone of all of 2017 drastically shifted, even if trap and dancehall were still prominent. Differences were visible even within those genres.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/18 at 7:49 pm

Way off. The Seventies may have started in earnest anywhere from post-Woodstock 1969 until 1974, with the resignation of Nixon. The Nineties may have started as early as '88 if you look at the silent but burgeoning growth of the alternative scene.

I won't predict when the 2020s will "begin," but I will say the core 2010s seemed to come to a screeching halt basically the day after the 2016 election. The whole tone of all of 2017 drastically shifted, even if trap and dancehall were still prominent. Differences were visible even within those genres.

I don't mean absolute beginnings.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/07/18 at 7:56 pm

I think early 2020's culture will start on January 1st, 2020 12:00:00 AM.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/07/18 at 8:09 pm

I don't mean absolute beginnings.

In that case, this is the correct answer:

I think early 2020's culture will start on January 1st, 2020 12:00:00 AM.

Written By: meesa on 09/07/18 at 8:12 pm

The question on my mind is...

When will this thread get locked?  ???

Asking the REAL question.

Written By: Dundee on 09/08/18 at 5:06 am

The Nineties may have started as early as '88 if you look at the silent but burgeoning growth of the alternative scene.

The Alternative Scene is definitely older than 1988. Already in the mid-80s you had bands like the Replacements, Sonic Youth, R.E.M. and the Smiths putting out material. And by the cultural 90s, I'm pretty sure they mean the mainstream, not something already present in the underground.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/08/18 at 8:38 am

The Alternative Scene is definitely older than 1988. Already in the mid-80s you had bands like the Replacements, Sonic Youth, R.E.M. and the Smiths putting out material. And by the cultural 90s, I'm pretty sure they mean the mainstream, not something already present in the underground.

Some even say that it began as early as 1979 (like rap did).

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/08/18 at 9:37 am

Me when inthe00s tries to predict the future:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ivlhk7.png

Me when inthe00s starts talking about cultural shifts:

Me when inthe00s starts comparing decades:

Me when inthe00s starts comparing generations:

Me when inthe00s starts talking about who's a 90s or 2000s kid:

Me when on inthe00s:

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/08/18 at 9:39 am

Also welcome to the boards. Glad you joined.

Written By: Dundee on 09/08/18 at 9:52 am

Me when inthe00s tries to predict the future:

Me when inthe00s starts talking about cultural shifts:

Me when inthe00s starts comparing decades:

Me when inthe00s starts comparing generations:

Me when inthe00s starts talking about who's a 90s or 2000s kid:

Me when on inthe00s:
https://media1.tenor.com/images/0bd22a4dae5b035a9fc733ae480b6ee6/tenor.gif?itemid=5688699

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/18 at 12:17 pm

Some even say that it began as early as 1979 (like rap did).

Yo, I'd say as early as 1977, if you count early punk and Devo as the precursors to alternative. What I meant was that by '88 or so, the alternative culture and lifestyle was getting onto actual radio and into the mainstream, even if they hadn't quite reached the Nevermind explosion yet.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/08/18 at 1:08 pm

It's already started.

Written By: xenzue on 09/08/18 at 1:52 pm

I think '88 is the first year of the alt rock explosion. Alternative rock already had been a thing for a decade at that point, but it was really in the late 80s when it became a force of its own. For the first time ever, Alternative Rock (formally known as Modern Rock Tracks) had its own chart in Billboard magazine. The release of Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth was really monumental to the genre as well.

Written By: Dundee on 09/08/18 at 2:31 pm

It will be nice if in 2019 instead of bullsheeshting predictions about the next decade, just be retrospective about the past one. In particular by constrasting the year 2010 with 2019.

Written By: 2001 on 09/08/18 at 2:56 pm

It will be nice if in 2019 instead of bullsheeshting predictions about the next decade, just be retrospective about the past one. In particular by constrasting the year 2010 with 2019.

I think in December 2019 people will be predicting rainbows and butterflies for January 2020

Written By: Dundee on 09/08/18 at 3:49 pm

I think in December 2019 people will be predicting rainbows and butterflies for January 2020
That is actually a pretty good prediction, I admit :p

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/18 at 4:05 pm

I think '88 is the first year of the alt rock explosion. Alternative rock already had been a thing for a decade at that point, but it was really in the late 80s when it became a force of its own. For the first time ever, Alternative Rock (formally known as Modern Rock Tracks) had its own chart in Billboard magazine. The release of Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth was really monumental to the genre as well.

This guy alternatives. 8) I’d karma you, but apparently I can’t do that on mobile.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/18 at 5:25 pm

When Donald Trump is gone.  My guess will be 2021.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/18 at 5:29 pm

You are lucky to be in Canada.  In fact going forward it wouldn't surprise me if there becomes a much bigger difference in the culture between the US and Canada.  You guys are actually embracing the 21st century and progressing.  In the US everyone is obsessed with and wants to return to the 1950s.

Here in the US we are looking at this dystopian nightmare continuing through at least January 2021.

Check for new replies or respond here...