inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Colin Kaepernick, Face of N.F.L. Protests, Is Face of New Nike Campaign

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/18 at 10:02 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/03/sports/kaepernick-nike.html

https://image-cdn.hypb.st/https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F09%2Fcolin-kaepernick-nike-just-do-it-campaign-1.jpg?q=75&w=800&cbr=1&fit=max

A lot of conservatives and Trump supporters are FURIOUS. Some have even burned their Nike gear https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/laff.gif

Subject: Re: Colin Kaepernick, Face of N.F.L. Protests, Is Face of New Nike Campaign

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 10:27 am

I was actually planning on avoiding Nike since it's an American company and Canada and the US are currently embroiled in a trade war, but this made me change my mind. I'm going shoe shopping on Friday, I promise to at least not completely skip over the Nike section :P

Subject: Re: Colin Kaepernick, Face of N.F.L. Protests, Is Face of New Nike Campaign

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/18 at 11:21 am

I was actually planning on avoiding Nike since it's an American company and Canada and the US are currently embroiled in a trade war, but this made me change my mind. I'm going shoe shopping on Friday, I promise to at least not completely skip over the Nike section :P

They are actually collaborating with Colin and givinh him a signature line. I'm definitely buying some of them when they come out.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 11:22 am

I like Skechers better anyway.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/18 at 11:53 am

;D ;D ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 11:58 am

;D ;D ;D

Best work shoes I've ever had.  ;)

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 12:25 pm

I wear Vans and Converse, never liked Nike and now have even less reason to.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/18 at 12:31 pm

I just bought a pair-my FIRST pair of Skechers EVER! I have NEVER bought a pair of Nike EVER! I don't buy them because most of their products are made in China.

But, I am very glad that Nike is doing this.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 12:39 pm

I just bought a pair-my FIRST pair of Skechers EVER! I have NEVER bought a pair of Nike EVER! I don't buy them because most of their products are made in China.

But, I am very glad that Nike is doing this.

Cat

I like Sketchers because they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had and I do a lot of walking at my job.

They're so comfortable, they feel like I'm wearing nothing at all!  :D

https://media.giphy.com/media/5oKGAIJTaLCZq/giphy.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/18 at 12:47 pm

I like Sketchers because they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had and I do a lot of walking at my job.

They're so comfortable, they feel like I'm wearing nothing at all!  :D

https://media.giphy.com/media/5oKGAIJTaLCZq/giphy.gif

Haven't worn mine yet-only bought them last Thursday. But, when I tried them on, they did feel really comfy. I bought them for my "airport shoes": can be slipped on/off while standing, comfy enough to walk miles while transferring planes, and roomy enough so when my feet swell on the plane, won't feel so tight that my feet feel like they are about to fall off. (Been there, done that.) And they weren't made in China.

Cat

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 12:48 pm

I like vans and converse because of their 70s/90s style design and how sleek they look. I tend not to like big sneakers as a rule.

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 1:06 pm

I have a pair and OMG they are so comfortable. I slip them on and off without a thought. But aesthetically speaking they are a bit lacking, I didn't dare take them on my Europe trip ;D

The ones I took with me are my Aldo's, my Doc Martens, a pair of white Adidas, and a pair of red Converse. I have too many shoes tbh.  :-X

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 1:10 pm

Haven't worn mine yet-only bought them last Thursday. But, when I tried them on, they did feel really comfy. I bought them for my "airport shoes": can be slipped on/off while standing, comfy enough to walk miles while transferring planes, and roomy enough so when my feet swell on the plane, won't feel so tight that my feet feel like they are about to fall off. (Been there, done that.) And they weren't made in China.

Cat

My brother bought a pair of Nikes online last year but they didn't quite fit him right so he let me have them. I liked the way they looked so I wore them, but there was something so wrong with those damn shoes that after I walked around on them all weekend, my left knee hurt so bad that I could hardly walk afterward. I'll never buy a pair of Nikes again.

On the other hand, Skechers with memory-foam cushions are like walking on a cloud. As a matter-of-fact, earlier this year I bought a pair as a Father's Day present for my 81 year-old dad (who has difficulty with walking), and he loves them.

I have a pair and OMG they are so comfortable. I slip them on and off without a thought. But aesthetically speaking they are a bit lacking, I didn't dare take them on my Europe trip ;D

The ones I took with me are my Aldo's, my Doc Martens, a pair of white Adidas, and a pair of red Converse. I have too many shoes tbh.  :-X

I'm a middle-aged man so I'm not quite as concerned with aesthetics as I once might have been (although I don't want any shoes that look too goofy or gaudy). It's all about function over form for me now. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 1:38 pm

Converse /ˈkɒnvərs/ is an American shoe company that primarily produces skating shoes and lifestyle brand footwear and apparel. Founded in 1908, it has been a subsidiary of Nike, Inc. since 2003.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 1:47 pm

Converse /ˈkɒnvərs/ is an American shoe company that primarily produces skating shoes and lifestyle brand footwear and apparel. Founded in 1908, it has been a subsidiary of Nike, Inc. since 2003.

Subsidiary, but different marketing and brand identity.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 1:56 pm

I think it's cool that Chuck Taylors never go out of style. My older brothers wore them back in the 1970's, people wore them back in the 1950's and 60's, and people still wear them today.

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 2:05 pm

I think it's cool that Chuck Taylors never go out of style. My older brothers wore them back in the 1970's, people wore them back in the 1950's and 60's, and people still wear them today.

They're stylish and iconic.  8)

Worst part is though that they're so common and you can see people wearing the same shoes as you. And I'm the type to look the other way and not acknowledge their existence when that happens  :-X

Written By: xenzue on 09/04/18 at 2:06 pm

Converse is owned by Nike.

Written By: xenzue on 09/04/18 at 2:10 pm

Lmao @ all these videos popping up of triggered Republicans burning their Nike shoes. Do they think their boycott will actually do anything? Nike owns a big chunk of the global marketshare.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/18 at 2:17 pm

Lmao @ all these videos popping up of triggered Republicans burning their Nike shoes. Do they think their boycott will actually do anything? Nike owns a big chunk of the global marketshare.

How else are we going to own the libs? ???

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 2:19 pm

What I'm confused by is what burning Nike shoes is supposed to be accomplishing. They already have your money! ;D

Maybe some trendy kids will buy Nike shoes just to burn them :P

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 2:25 pm

Converse is owned by Nike.

Different marketing and brand identity.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/18 at 2:29 pm

I wear Skechers for work.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/18 at 2:33 pm

Different marketing and brand identity.

That doesn't matter. Nike is still getting your money lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/18 at 2:34 pm

Sketchers and New Balance are the official shoes of White People™ ;D.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 2:46 pm

Sketchers and New Balance are the official shoes of White People™ ;D.

Gotta clown on 'em and put em in their place for things they didn't do lmfaooo.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 2:47 pm

Really I ought to burn that pair of Nikes that my brother have me, not because I want to make any kind of political statement but because they are such horrible, God-awful shoes that, being a fundamentally decent person, I feel I have an obligation to mankind to reduce those damned things to ashes so I can eliminate the possibility that any human being can ever wear them again.

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 3:00 pm

Really I ought to burn that pair of Nikes that my brother have me, not because I want to make any kind of political statement but because they are such horrible, God-awful shoes that, being a fundamentally decent person, I feel I have an obligation to mankind to reduce those damned things to ashes so I can eliminate the possibility that any human being can ever wear them again.

TBH I have a pair of Nike's from around 2010, and the white plastic has turned yellow. In another pair which I think I also bought in 2010, the shoes make sound like small marbles are rolling inside them. I wore these shoes a lot back when I was still in high school but I stopped wearing them as soon as I got another pair. They just naturally deteriorated over time even though I wasn't wearing them.  ???

I do have a pair of Nike's from 2009 that though look very beat up, I still wear when exercising and they still do the trick, and a reflecting neon green/purple pair from 2012/2013 that I use while cycling for better visibility, and they still look really fly.

I guess they can be hit or miss in terms of quality, but considering how much you pay for them it's really subpar all things considered.  ???

Written By: SmartBo1 on 09/04/18 at 3:09 pm

I like vans and converse because of their 70s/90s style design and how sleek they look. I tend not to like big sneakers as a rule.

Same here. Ever since 2011 I've only been wearing converse.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/18 at 3:13 pm

TBH I have a pair of Nike's from around 2010, and the white plastic has turned yellow. In another pair which I think I also bought in 2010, the shoes make sound like small marbles are rolling inside them. I wore these shoes a lot back when I was still in high school but I stopped wearing them as soon as I got another pair. They just naturally deteriorated over time even though I wasn't wearing them.  ???

I do have a pair of Nike's from 2009 that though look very beat up, I still wear when exercising and they still do the trick, and a reflecting neon green/purple pair from 2012/2013 that I use while cycling for better visibility, and they still look really fly.

I guess they can be hit or miss in terms of quality, but considering how much you pay for them it's really subpar all things considered
.  ???

I've had other pairs of Nikes in the past and although none of them ever bothered my knee the way the pair I've been ranting about did, it does seem that they fell apart a lot more quickly than other shoes I've owned.

One nice thing about getting older is that you get less concerned about being hip or trendy and more concerned about just being comfortable, so I give zero f*cks about whether or not the younger generation considers Skechers to be "white people shoes."  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/18 at 3:46 pm

What I'm confused by is what burning Nike shoes is supposed to be accomplishing. They already have your money! ;D

Maybe some trendy kids will buy Nike shoes just to burn them :P

I was thinking the same thing.

Cat

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 6:07 pm

Buying stuff for the express purpose of destroying it only makes the thing in question more popular because it's seen as rebellious. IE Beatles records after John Lennon made the "We're bigger than Jesus comment." It's a dumb thing to do financially, and counter-intuitive psychologically.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/18 at 2:56 pm

I also wear Nike and they're quite comfortable, anybody else wear them too?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/06/18 at 7:19 am

Really Powerful Nike Commercial:

mreQsQrDF-A

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/07/18 at 6:59 pm

Nike’s online sales jumped 31% after company unveiled Kaepernick campaign, data show

SOURCE: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nikes-online-sales-jumped-31-after-company-unveiled-kaepernick-campaign-2018-09-07

Written By: mylilypad on 09/10/18 at 12:45 am

i need to buy another pair of vans, but most of my shoes are converse so i agree... and i still have my nike shoes that i bought at mervyn's closing sale (RIP mervyn's).

Check for new replies or respond here...