inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the core year of Hipster culture? (POLL)

Written By: duenas8 on 09/05/18 at 9:50 pm

2014 :P

Subject: Re: What was the core year of Hipster culture? (POLL)

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/06/18 at 6:06 am

According to Google Trends, search queries for "hipster" peaked around October 2011, so I'm going to say 2012.  :P

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/06/18 at 7:23 am

2013 was when the subculture and its influence on fashion, music, tv, & other forms of pop culture was at its peak.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/18 at 11:35 am

Where I lived, the peak of hipster was 2015.

Ultimately, it all depends on where one lives. In one area, the trend may have peaked in 2013. In another area, it may have peaked as late as 2015 or 2016.

Written By: Early10sFan on 09/06/18 at 2:03 pm

In Central, Southern and Eastern Europe between 2015-2017. Cristiano Ronaldo still rocks the undercut. As well as many guys outside Western Europe.

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/18 at 3:34 pm

In Central, Southern and Eastern Europe between 2015-2017. Cristiano Ronaldo still rocks the undercut. As well as many guys outside Western Europe.

It was the same when I went to the UK. Almost everyone had an undercut, especially young people. It is more popular than in Canada. I think in the UK, 60-70% of guys had an undercut, in Canada it's like 30-40%, and it's weird because 2018 feels like it's been the biggest year for the undercut (in Canada) ;D That tells me this trend has still got legs :P

Athleisure is way more popular there too. In Canada people try to go for loosely-fit lumbersexual/outdoorsy look more, rather than the tight-clothes gym look that's popular in the UK.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/18 at 5:13 pm

I would say between 2013 and 2016, with 2014 and 2015 being the peak years.  Hipster culture defined the mid '10s.  It was present in the early '10s but it was mostly centered in certain metro areas (Portland, Seattle, Austin) and had not yet engulfed mainstream pop culture.  Hipster culture started to decline pretty quickly after Trump was elected.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/06/18 at 5:16 pm

What the heck is a hipster?

Either I am old school or just ignorant! ::)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/18 at 5:27 pm

I would say between 2013 and 2016, with 2014 and 2015 being the peak years.  Hipster culture defined the mid '10s.  It was present in the early '10s but it was mostly centered in certain metro areas (Portland, Seattle, Austin) and had not yet engulfed mainstream pop culture.  Hipster culture started to decline pretty quickly after Trump was elected.

In 2015, hipsters were basically everywhere.

If I had to choose between 2014 and 2015 regarding which year was the peak year, it would be 2015.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/18 at 5:44 pm

Hipster culture in 2006 is probably the same as grunge culture in 1985 - there may have been small seeds of it, but only a fringe amount of people would have known about it.

I'm not sure if I am right, but I think that this parallel (this is just a guess, but I think that grunge and hipster are approximately 21 years apart) probably continues to this day. Keep in mind that I am only talking about the state of hipster compared to the state of grunge and nothing else.

2014-2015 was probably the peak school year of hipster culture. Similarly, 1993-1994 was the peak school year of grunge culture.

Right now, hipster is sort of like grunge in 1997 - we are seeing it die in the US, at least where I live.

Based on this parallel, I have a feeling that all of its influence will die out by the 2019-2020 school year like how all grunge influence died out by the 1998-1999 school year.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/18 at 6:25 pm

Hipster culture in 2006 is probably the same as grunge culture in 1985 - there may have been small seeds of it, but only a fringe amount of people would have known about it.

I'm not sure if I am right, but I think that this parallel (this is just a guess, but I think that grunge and hipster are approximately 21 years apart) probably continues to this day. Keep in mind that I am only talking about the state of hipster compared to the state of grunge and nothing else.

2014-2015 was probably the peak school year of hipster culture. Similarly, 1993-1994 was the peak school year of grunge culture.

Right now, hipster is sort of like grunge in 1997 - we are seeing it die in the US, at least where I live.

Based on this parallel, I have a feeling that all of its influence will die out by the 2019-2020 school year like how all grunge influence died out by the 1998-1999 school year.

But then we had post-grunge which lingered for a long time after grunge died.  The post-grunge era was a very different culture but it did have its roots in grunge.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/18 at 6:33 pm

But then we had post-grunge which lingered for a long time after grunge died.  The post-grunge era was a very different culture but it did have its roots in grunge.

I only meant the original grunge movement, which lasted from 1991 to 1995/1996.

Written By: Dundee on 09/07/18 at 1:16 am

What the heck is a hipster?

Either I am old school or just ignorant! ::)
If you're old school, a hipster is a Cool Jazz type of dude in the 40s.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/816hklSK0vL._SX355_.jpg

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/07/18 at 1:50 am

True, by 2013 I started noticing the word being thrown around as a way of saying anti-mainstream rather than just being a bohemian. It was very present in the late 00s and early 10s but it was mainly an urban young adult thing.

Written By: Dundee on 09/07/18 at 4:52 am

To answer this thread:

2013 for Music
2016 for Fashion

2014 & 2015 seems to be the perfect middle ground between the two.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/18 at 5:39 am

To answer this thread:

2013 for Music
2016 for Fashion

I agree; 2014 and 2015 seem to be the peak years of hipster culture.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/07/18 at 8:15 am

To answer this thread:

2013 for Music
2016 for Fashion

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/533/709/8ae.gif

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/07/18 at 8:24 am

I agree; 2014 and 2015 seem to be the peak years of hipster culture.

Yeah I think may need to revise my answer a little bit. If you're referring to when the subculture was in its truly underground stages & when most hipsters described the movement at its most 'pure', I'd say the peak was somewhere around 2011 or 2011. For its musical style & influence, I'd say around 2013 or 2014. For its influence on fashion & when the subculture was at its peak in the overall mainstream culture, I'd say around 2015 or 2016. Almost all Hipster influences have seemed to have steadily decline throughout 2017/2018. I expect the movement to die off probably next year.

Heck already by me, many young kids now (especially high school & college aged kids) are more heavily into streetwear & athletic wear than in recent years. I remember seeing almost everybody my age back in 2015 rocking at least one flannel shirt or a more muted color polo, a pair skinny or straight legged jeans, Dock Martins or Chuck Taylors, & a pair of Brown or Taupe shades. Nowadays, whenever I break out the flannel shirt once in a while I just get blank stares ;D.

Everything is FILA, Champion, Adidas, NIKE (and I expect that to continue with Colin being the face of it now!), Supreme, Versace, etc. Its almost like we've been transported back to the Late 1990s/2000s in a weird way.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/18 at 8:53 am

Yeah I think may need to revise my answer a little bit. If you're referring to when the subculture was in its truly underground stages & when most hipsters described the movement at its most 'pure', I'd say the peak was somewhere around 2011 or 2011. For its musical style & influence, I'd say around 2013 or 2014. For its influence on fashion & when the subculture was at its peak in the overall mainstream culture, I'd say around 2015 or 2016. Almost all Hipster influences have seemed to have steadily decline throughout 2017/2018. I expect the movement to die off probably next year.

Heck already by me, many young kids now (especially high school & college aged kids) are more heavily into streetwear & athletic wear than in recent years. I remember seeing almost everybody my age back in 2015 rocking at least one flannel shirt or a more muted color polo, a pair skinny or straight legged jeans, Dock Martins or Chuck Taylors, & a pair of Brown or Taupe shades. Nowadays, whenever I break out the flannel shirt once in a while I just get blank stares ;D.

Everything is FILA, Champion, Adidas, NIKE (and I expect that to continue with Colin being the face of it now!), Supreme, Versace, etc. Its almost like we've been transported back to the Late 1990s/2000s in a weird way.

Flannel shirts - Where I live, I don't really get blank stares if I wear a flannel shirt.

Written By: John Titor on 09/07/18 at 10:25 am

Fila been on the decline for awhile, but I made a thread a few months ago about how early 2000s fashion is brewing more and more and everyone here just laughed at me, its back no matter what anyone says lol If you don't think so you have to be ignorant of trends lol  Supreme is at its peak right now whoring itself out to any collab it can, Streetwear is at an apex right now and the bubble could burst,  Kith recently just did a collab with Versace,  the new trend is high labels that have kind of faded off team up with new street wear brands for more exposure, such as what LV did with Supreme and also hiring Kanye west director Virgil to be the head of its mens wear division,  Hedi slimane is now the head of Celine and will be doing streetwear type drops.

Expect the next few months seeing a bubble burst,  As you have said Hipster is dead, Some people are in areas and are arguing with us because they are living in bumfk areas and can't see the trends as they brew,  as far as California goes, The hipster vibe is dead and a joke, I think its past the point of grunge was in 1997, anything lumineers or foster the people looking gets laughed at, I notcied some coffee shops in the bay have redecorated the decour to look less hipster and more modern.

The early 2010s and moreso the mid 2010s had this gritty Vice.com bootleg  dirty rough vibe to it, similar to how the mid 90s were and now
around late 2016/2017 the vibe has shifited to a more glossy poppy upbeat vibe similar to the early 2000s

Written By: xenzue on 09/07/18 at 3:52 pm

Expect the next few months seeing a bubble burst,  As you have said Hipster is dead, Some people are in areas and are arguing with us because they are living in bumfk areas and can't see the trends as they brew,  as far as California goes, The hipster vibe is dead and a joke, I think its past the point of grunge was in 1997, anything lumineers or foster the people looking gets laughed at, I notcied some coffee shops in the bay have redecorated the decour to look less hipster and more modern.

Exactly. People are over the recycling the exact same stuff from the 80s. No shade but people who haven't noticed departure of hipster culture probably live in an area where pop culture arrives late.

The early 2010s and moreso the mid 2010s had this gritty Vice.com bootleg  dirty rough vibe to it, similar to how the mid 90s were and now
around late 2016/2017 the vibe has shifited to a more glossy poppy upbeat vibe similar to the early 2000s

This might be true with some aspects of the culture rn, but it's definitely not the case with new music. The emo/grunge rap sound that's rising is anything but glossy and DIY/bedroom pop and its aesthetic is pretty gritty too. Even more electronic hip hop is becoming less polished and more experimental. The absence any sort of a monoculture (bar Drake) in 2018 makes me believe that we'll see a superstar from one of these subcultures in 2019 or 2020.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/07/18 at 4:59 pm

If you're old school, a hipster is a Cool Jazz type of dude in the 40s.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/816hklSK0vL._SX355_.jpg

Oh....ok. Is it a cool jazz type of dude even today? The 40s were a very long time ago :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/07/18 at 9:25 pm

Fila been on the decline for awhile, but I made a thread a few months ago about how early 2000s fashion is brewing more and more and everyone here just laughed at me, its back no matter what anyone says lol If you don't think so you have to be ignorant of trends lol  Supreme is at its peak right now whoring itself out to any collab it can, Streetwear is at an apex right now and the bubble could burst,  Kith recently just did a collab with Versace,  the new trend is high labels that have kind of faded off team up with new street wear brands for more exposure, such as what LV did with Supreme and also hiring Kanye west director Virgil to be the head of its mens wear division,  Hedi slimane is now the head of Celine and will be doing streetwear type drops.

Exactly. People are over the recycling the exact same stuff from the 80s. No shade but people who haven't noticed departure of hipster culture probably live in an area where pop culture arrives late.

This might be true with some aspects of the culture rn, but it's definitely not the case with new music. The emo/grunge rap sound that's rising is anything but glossy and DIY/bedroom pop and its aesthetic is pretty gritty too. Even more electronic hip hop is becoming less polished and more experimental. The absence any sort of a monoculture (bar Drake) in 2018 makes me believe that we'll see a superstar from one of these subcultures in 2019 or 2020.

I agree with both of you. Its actually already present in pop culture now, but obviously it takes time for more rural areas to adapt to the new changes. This commercial of Diet Coke is a perfect example of this:

LnZnSumfIlE

Notice the girl's outfit; the camouflage jacket, the black yoga pants, white T-Shirt with a Colorful Stripe in the middle. It sort of is a bit of a homage to the Late 90s, obviously with a modern Late 10s twist.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/18 at 9:32 pm

Oh....ok. Is it a cool jazz type of dude even today? The 40s were a very long time ago :o

That guy was a hipster before there were hipsters. He is the ultimate hipster.

Written By: John Titor on 09/07/18 at 11:24 pm

I agree with both of you. Its actually already present in pop culture now, but obviously it takes time for more rural areas to adapt to the new changes. This commercial of Diet Coke is a perfect example of this:

LnZnSumfIlE

Notice the girl's outfit; the camouflage jacket, the black yoga pants, white T-Shirt with a Colorful Stripe in the middle. It sort of is a bit of a homage to the Late 90s, obviously with a modern Late 10s twist.

This^^^^^^  the whole vibe is so different now from the mid 2010s vice atmosphere
Even things that have happened recently this year

-Mac Millers Death  (with unforseen results)
- 80s horror come back/stranger things
-  Tide Pod (gen z trend)
- #delete Facbook
- Return of  striped track pants
- Emo rap taking off
- Hipster becoming cringe memes
-Snapchat decline
- Metoo growth & Metoos destruction
- Suburbs coming back

the whole vibe feels just different, it feels less Bootleg, to be honest the mid 2010s felt bootleg

Written By: ofkx on 09/08/18 at 1:31 pm

Imo peak hipster started in 2012 with the handlebar-mustache-on-everything trend and ended in late 2014 with the lumbersexual trend. It was still popular in 2015/2016 but its popularity started to decline steeply after trump's election. There's another type of hipster culture that's slowly rising though. It's inspired by the '80s and '90s (as opposed to the '60s and '70s like 2010-2016 hipster culture).

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/08/18 at 1:41 pm

Imo peak hipster started in 2012 with the handlebar-mustache-on-everything trend and ended in late 2014 with the lumbersexual trend. It was still popular in 2015/2016 but its popularity started to decline steeply after trump's election. There's another type of hipster culture that's slowly rising though. It's inspired by the '80s and '90s (as opposed to the '60s and '70s like 2010-2016 hipster culture).

You are the only one in this thread I agree with.

Written By: John Titor on 09/08/18 at 3:06 pm

Hipster started in 2006 and it was underground, but yes its peak was mid 2012

I remember watching this video on Fuse in the summer of 2006, they are wearing shirts from Amercian Apparel and Urban Outfiters
in it, American Appreal started advertising a lot in 2006, it was very much underground, but this is where it started

7agPOt1XZz8

This underground hipster movement was co existing with the EMO/poppunk movement at the time, once again no one
really knew what this whole hipster thing was, it was 5% of the trends that were going on.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1336545/000119312506256454/g64153img001a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/eileenlee/DSC_1070.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/08/18 at 3:20 pm

Hipsterism started before 2006 but whatever.

Written By: John Titor on 09/08/18 at 3:21 pm

Hipsterism started before 2006 but whatever.

The main hipster trend started in 2006 tho

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/08/18 at 4:14 pm

Actually...let me backtrack. I disagree with this. I feel like 2010-2016 hipster culture was heavily reliant on 80s nostalgia while this new hipsterism is reliant on 90s nostalgia.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/08/18 at 4:54 pm

I saw hipsters everywhere even in 2015. It may have been the peak year of the trend where I lived.

I do agree that it started to decline in the 2016-2017 school year.

Written By: ofkx on 09/08/18 at 5:18 pm

Actually...let me backtrack. I disagree with this. I feel like 2010-2016 hipster culture was heavily reliant on 80s nostalgia while this new hipsterism is reliant on 90s nostalgia.

I don’t really see how it was reliant on 80s nostalgia. From what I’ve seen, the previous hipster trends like suspenders, fedoras, thick black rimmed glasses, earthy tones, records, etc... were all taken from the 60s and 70s. The “modern” hipster relies more on the vaporwave aesthetic which is built on 80s nostalgia.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/08/18 at 9:33 pm

I don’t really see how it was reliant on 80s nostalgia. From what I’ve seen, the previous hipster trends like suspenders, fedoras, thick black rimmed glasses, earthy tones, records, etc... were all taken from the 60s and 70s. The “modern” hipster relies more on the vaporwave aesthetic which is built on 80s nostalgia.

What about Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Written By: mc98 on 09/08/18 at 9:40 pm

If you look at the "What high schoolers/ college students are actually wearing" on Youtube, you'll get a clear representation on what youth fashion is like in the late 2010s. From what I've seen, it's waaaaay different from the earthy hipster tone from the early-mid 2010s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/08/18 at 9:46 pm

If you look at the "What high schoolers/ college students are actually wearing" on Youtube, you'll get a clear representation on what youth fashion is like in the late 2010s. From what I've seen, it's waaaaay different from the earthy hipster tone from the early-mid 2010s.

In 2016 and 2017, I have seen a lot of guys wearing joggers that looked like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4103%2Bo5wsAL._US500_.jpg

Written By: mc98 on 09/08/18 at 10:02 pm

In 2016 and 2017, I have seen a lot of guys wearing joggers that looked like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4103%2Bo5wsAL._US500_.jpg

A lot of girls at my college are wearing thick and puffy crop-tops.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/08/18 at 10:07 pm

A lot of girls at my college are wearing thick and puffy crop-tops.

I haven't really seen that in my university (yet).

I'm not sure if you've seen it yet, but I have seen the goatee style making a little bit of a comeback this year.

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/goatee-full.jpg

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/08/18 at 10:09 pm

Anyone heard of the yuccie? They are sort of like post-hipsters.

https://mashable.com/2015/06/09/post-hipster-yuccie/
https://www.thebalancesmb.com/what-young-urban-creative-millennials-want-1326278

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/09/18 at 11:45 am

Anyone heard of the yuccie? They are sort of like post-hipsters.

https://mashable.com/2015/06/09/post-hipster-yuccie/
https://www.thebalancesmb.com/what-young-urban-creative-millennials-want-1326278

Yeah I've definitely have noticed the rise in 'Yuccies' within the last 2 years. So many people & personal friends I follow on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook now have their own clothing brands, graphic design companies, musical production labels, & (of course) their own fitness consultation pages. Heck, everybody I know who is intense in this sh!t (even if they don't necessarily profit from it) have 'Business Pages' for their social media accounts, which gives user more advanced features (like looking into Insights & advanced options pertaining to following/unfollowing people). Also, you can't go two steps outside the modern world without noticing someone 'doing a photoshoot' ;D.

I propose a new term, MUPPIES. MILLENNIAL, URBAN, PURSUANT, PROFESSIONALS.

Lets see if that catches on ;D.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/09/18 at 12:18 pm

Yeah I've definitely have noticed the rise in 'Yuccies' within the last 2 years. So many people & personal friends I follow on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook now have their own clothing brands, graphic design companies, musical production labels, & (of course) their own fitness consultation pages. Heck, everybody I know who is intense in this sh!t (even if they don't necessarily profit from it) have 'Business Pages' for their social media accounts, which gives user more advanced features (like looking into Insights & advanced options pertaining to following/unfollowing people). Also, you can't go two steps outside the modern world without noticing someone 'doing a photoshoot' ;D.

Why not MUPPETS?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/09/18 at 12:38 pm

Why not MUPPETS?

LOL You're right. Why Not!? But have you also noticed this around in your college campus? Where everybody, regardless of their major or interest, feels like an entrepreneur?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/09/18 at 12:39 pm

Pursuant? Would this be along the same lines as "aspirational"?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/09/18 at 12:53 pm

LOL You're right. Why Not!? But have you also noticed this around in your college campus? Where everybody, regardless of their major or interest, feels like an entrepreneur?

Not really. In fact, I never even knew that was a thing until you told me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/09/18 at 12:57 pm

Pursuant? Would this be along the same lines as "aspirational"?

Perhaps. I mean we're the 'Trophy Generation' for a reason. Everybody feels like they're unique.

Not really. In fact, I never even knew that was a thing until you told me.

Thats strange ???. This is something I've noticed within the last couple of years by me. People utilizing their talents to make a profit. BTW, I totally forgot about photography, thats mammoth nowadays (especially on Insta).

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/09/18 at 1:00 pm

2014 IMO.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/10/18 at 10:39 am

I get what you're saying. Here's the thing, I hung with tons of hipsters during the late 2000s/early 2010s and they were all about the 80s. So, while it might be true that the apparel you listed is 60s and 70s, I think that is just incidental and not intentional.

Vaporwave belongs not just to any part of the 80s or 90s. I belong to the 80s-90s transition.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/09/22 at 11:48 am

Check for new replies or respond here...