inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NowThis claims that the nostalgia craze will end with the 1990s

Written By: xenzue on 09/11/18 at 3:35 pm

Do y'all agree with this video?

PCvzfOj8spk

Personally I disagree, I have a lot of nostalgia of the mid-late 00s more specifically 2006-2012.

Subject: Re: NowThis claims that the nostalgia craze will end with the 1990s

Written By: John Titor on 09/11/18 at 3:36 pm

Do y'all agree with this video?

PCvzfOj8spk

Personally I disagree, I have a lot of nostalgia of the mid-late 00s more specifically 2006-2012.

Ok thats why TRL, Invader Zim, Von dutch is back lol
Ok tell me about that again with all these  2006 culture videos

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/18 at 3:41 pm

I'll probably watch it but my initial reaction is to disagree. Many of my friends (ages 21-28) are already nostalgic for the 2000s. It's a good thing it hasn't been commercialized yet though, I prefer it this way. Also 2000s fashion is too awful to bring back, but then again I would say the same about the '90s and I'm surprised with how nice its revival in the 2010s looks.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/11/18 at 3:57 pm

I'll probably watch it but my initial reaction is to disagree. Many of my friends (ages 21-28) are already nostalgic for the 2000s. It's a good thing it hasn't been commercialized yet though, I prefer it this way. Also 2000s fashion is too awful to bring back, but then again I would say the same about the '90s and I'm surprised with how nice its revival in the 2010s looks.

Uh, but 90s fashion is classier than early. mid-2000s fashion.

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/18 at 4:03 pm

Uh, but 90s fashion is classier than early. mid-2000s fashion.

Good point.  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/11/18 at 4:11 pm

I disagree because...

"Keke, do you love me?" disproves this video.

a monoculture example right before our very eyes and ears.

Written By: ofkx on 09/11/18 at 5:18 pm

I don't get this video. He says that the reason people are so nostalgic for the 90s is because it's so accessible, but people won't be nostalgic for this decade because it's also so accessible? That doesn't make any sense... If anything, people will be even more nostalgic for the 2010s since we have so many videos, pictures, etc... from it.
I also strongly disagree with what he said about "the death of the monoculture" or whatever. Most people watch, listen to, and do the same things. We all watched Stranger Things, Marvel movies, etc..., and we all listened to Gangnam Style, Despacito, and all the other huge hits, so we will all be nostalgic for the same stuff years from now. And there will definitely be a zeitgeist of this decade. There's already a zeitgeist of the early 2010s and they're barely 5 years ago.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/11/18 at 6:33 pm

I think it might be, culture no longer evolves like it used to evolve in the past.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/11/18 at 7:30 pm

I think it might be, culture no longer evolves like it used to evolve in the past.

True. But this just tells me nostalgia will hit in a different and perhaps an even harder way.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/12/18 at 12:11 am

Good point.  :-X
I wonder if people were saying that back in the 00s. I like 00s hip hop fashion minus the sagging. I do miss urban clothing brands. The 2000s preppy look wasn't so bad either. It did brought out Holister, graphic tees, Cartoon shirts were big and the dying your hair became universally accepted outside the punk rock community.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 09/12/18 at 12:19 am

I hope there's some kind of 2000's nostalgia in the next decade.

Written By: Dundee on 09/12/18 at 5:26 am

Are we back in 2013 lol. Ridiculous to make this claim in 2018 when 2000s nostalgia is clearly on its boiling phase, from music ("2002", Drake taking influences from 2000s RnB, Emorap, ...) to fashion (early 2000s trends revival) to movies & series (all the different reboots? Does it need even more to make it clear?)

Written By: John Titor on 09/12/18 at 9:27 am

I hope there's some kind of 2000's nostalgia in the next decade.

its already happening now

Written By: John Titor on 09/12/18 at 9:33 am

Are we back in 2013 lol. Ridiculous to make this claim in 2018 when 2000s nostalgia is clearly on its boiling phase, from music ("2002", Drake taking influences from 2000s RnB, Emorap, ...) to fashion (early 2000s trends revival) to movies & series (all the different reboots? Does it need even more to make it clear?)

Exactly ! Just  ;D people not seeing it brewing underground

https://www.instylemag.com.au/this-early-2000s-accessory-is-back-according-to-prada
http://www.thefashionspot.com/style-trends/779507-2000s-fashion-trends/
https://www.noragouma.com/2000s-nostalgia-already-here-steves-peeps-leads-the-way/
https://scottmcglynn.net/2017/12/02/steves-peeps-2000s-fashion/
https://www.instyle.com/news/herve-leger-new-designer
https://hk.asiatatler.com/style/prada-linea-rossa-collection-makes-a-comeback
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/juicy-couture-influencer-campaign-1202774803

Written By: exodus08 on 09/12/18 at 2:24 pm

Sorry but this dude is really stupid  ::), I already see 2000s nostolgia this year and it's just the beginning.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/12/18 at 8:58 pm

I honestly don't know. But I will say that it was painful hearing this guy talk with his stereotypical youtuber/glam nerd voice. Obviously his statements about the "end" of the monoculture is bullcrap. If anything the 2010s are more homogeneous than the 90s and 00s (and possibly even the 80s). Too many people nowadays either go for the dudebro/thug/trap persona, the fake-nerdy-but-still-cool persona, or a mixture of both. I don't know what the future holds, but hopefully the whole quirky/youtube personality/cringey/cool-to-be-dorky/glam-nerd persona dies off. And hopefully the trap/dudebro persona dies off too. Dweeby/pseudo-intellectuals like this guy should not be the future of our culture. Anyway, if nostalgia continues into the future hopefully it's not overblown like how it was in this decade. Really the nostalgia wave of this decade has mostly been a subset of the quirky/adorkable/glam nerd trend of this decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/12/18 at 9:22 pm

I honestly don't know. But I will say that it was painful hearing this guy talk with his stereotypical youtuber/glam nerd voice. Obviously his statements about the "end" of the monoculture is bullcrap. If anything the 2010s are more homogeneous than the 90s and 00s (and possibly even the 80s). Too many people nowadays either go for the dudebro/thug/trap persona, the fake-nerdy-but-still-cool persona, or a mixture of both.

::)

Written By: John Titor on 09/13/18 at 1:49 pm

Nostalgia ends in the 90s? Really? For 2000s nostalgia, we're getting or got:
- Invader Zim TV movie
- Reboot of That's So Raven, Powerpuff Girls, and Teen Titans
- Sequel to The Incredibles
- Kim Possible TV movie
- re-release of the original XBOX controller
- return of Crispy M&Ms and Sprite Remix
- getting a Chicken Run sequel
- getting a Zombieland (comes out next year) and Avatar (comes out in 2020) sequel
- a song called "2002" (forgot the name of the artist though)
- TRL is coming back
- Von Dutch hats are making a comeback
If anything, I don't think nostalgia will ever die. Every generation will get nostalgic for their childhood. I imagine people who grew up in the 2000s will get nostalgic over video rental stores, digital or film cameras, lack of social media, cartoon cartoon friday's on cartoon network, going over your friend's house to play games (at least early-mid 2000s since online gaming didn't completely take off until the late 2000s), seeing their favorite cartoons get theatrical releases, not being able to instantly share your photos online, etc. Although the 2000s and 2010s are similar, there are still a lot of distinctive differences between one another.

Now this is a moron

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/13/18 at 1:57 pm

Someday, people will reminisce about the long-since defunct Facebook, instagram, and even inthe00s.com!

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 11:11 am

I hate to say it, but this guy actually has a point. The 2000's was the first full decade the majority of homes had access to reasonable internet speed and was able to get on a lot of websites, and eventually this led to the creation of MySpace, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter A.K.A. the social media era which has carried on through the 2010's and has established itself. The release of the iPod giving you the ability to listen to all kinds of music on one little device instead of buying CD's or waiting for the next big music hit has allowed us to have access to all kinds of styles in one setting. The digital, streaming and social media age has allowed us to relive the past over and over again with all these social media pages and streaming apps while we can live on with our current times, but back in the 90's & earlier you didn't have all of that technology to see the nostalgia of past decades more frequently. This is NO hate on the 2000's or 2010's though. There will be something else in decades in the future that will revolutionize society and put us ahead of the current digital, streaming and social media age we're in now.

Written By: Dundee on 09/26/18 at 2:58 pm

Scuse me while I'm chatting on my neo-Nokia 3310

https://images.ctfassets.net/wcfotm6rrl7u/5bjwfDGgZGuYoy6EyWSmMy/2c4edaa78f1ab9aac0e0fe5e6a2c8af0/Nokia-3310-Hero.png?fm=png

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/26/18 at 3:03 pm

Aint nobody gon reminiss bout that stupid fone.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/27/18 at 8:53 am

I hate to say it, but this guy actually has a point. The 2000's was the first full decade the majority of homes had access to reasonable internet speed and was able to get on a lot of websites, and eventually this led to the creation of MySpace, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter A.K.A. the social media era which has carried on through the 2010's and has established itself. The release of the iPod giving you the ability to listen to all kinds of music on one little device instead of buying CD's or waiting for the next big music hit has allowed us to have access to all kinds of styles in one setting. The digital, streaming and social media age has allowed us to relive the past over and over again with all these social media pages and streaming apps while we can live on with our current times, but back in the 90's & earlier you didn't have all of that technology to see the nostalgia of past decades more frequently. This is NO hate on the 2000's or 2010's though. There will be something else in decades in the future that will revolutionize society and put us ahead of the current digital, streaming and social media age we're in now.
I guess it depends on age in regards to 2000s nostalgia. Back in the 2000s the 90's didn't feel like a different generation to me despite me only being a baby during that decade. Most of the stuff 90's kids brag about carried over into the new milenium. With the 2010s and the 2000s it seems to be a bigger gap with communication and technology habits. On the surface the 00s and 10s seem simlar but when you look at it from a lifestyle point of view. You had internet, cellphones and social media in the 00s but they were far less addictive and less-essential in our everyday lives. In the 2000s people still went to malls, phonebooths were still common, renting movies were still a thing, having a cd was still the way of listening to music, videogames were mostly played locally, and smartphones were very primative.  2000s nostalgia will mostly be from Gen Zers just like 90s nostalgia was mostly from millennials.

Written By: John Titor on 09/27/18 at 11:04 am

I guess it depends on age in regards to 2000s nostalgia. Back in the 2000s the 90's didn't feel like a different generation to me despite me only being a baby during that decade. Most of the stuff 90's kids brag about carried over into the new milenium. With the 2010s and the 2000s it seems to be a bigger gap with communication and technology habits. On the surface the 00s and 10s seem simlar but when you look at it from a lifestyle point of view. You had internet, cellphones and social media in the 00s but they were far less addictive and less-essential in our everyday lives. In the 2000s people still went to malls, phonebooths were still common, renting movies were still a thing, having a cd was still the way of listening to music, videogames were mostly played locally, and smartphones were very primative.  2000s nostalgia will mostly be from Gen Zers just like 90s nostalgia was mostly from millennials.

As being a young preteen from start of 2000s- an adult by 2009

I can say the 2000s felt more Vibrant than the 90s did and more than a majority of 2010s did. The culture was more in your face and more substance.
I remember when the 2001 VMAS happened, and even Teachers were talking about it at the start of class, and this went on for 3 days lol  That moment in
particular is when I felt the real 2000s started.

The moment when my Science teacher said " Hey did you see Britney last night with the snake?, She is so edgy now"
That kicked off the 2000s for me. I know a lot of people say 9/11 was the start but for me it felt like 2 weeks earlier.
The vibes of 2000s and 2010s may look similar at face value but they felt 100% different experiencing both. Almost
as drastic as 80s vs 90s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/27/18 at 4:23 pm

As being a young preteen from start of 2000s- an adult by 2009

I can say the 2000s felt more Vibrant than the 90s did and more than a majority of 2010s did. The culture was more in your face and more substance.
I remember when the 2001 VMAS happened, and even Teachers were talking about it at the start of class, and this went on for 3 days lol  That moment in
particular is when I felt the real 2000s started.

The moment when my Science teacher said " Hey did you see Britney last night with the snake?, She is so edgy now"
That kicked off the 2000s for me. I know a lot of people say 9/11 was the start but for me it felt like 2 weeks earlier.
The vibes of 2000s and 2010s may look similar at face value but they felt 100% different experiencing both. Almost
Intresting to hear your point of view. 2001 for many people was when the real 2000s began. With 9/11 and the 6th generation of gaming on the horizon.

Written By: John Titor on 09/27/18 at 5:45 pm

Intresting to hear your point of view. 2001 for many people was when the real 2000s began. With 9/11 and the 6th generation of gaming on the horizon.

Yupp it was quite the experience, First half of 2001 and last half are NIGHT and day difference even before 9/11 happened. And the whole board knows my fav school year is the 2001-2002 year, things that school year just felt NEW exciting. When the Gamecube, Xbox and GTA 3 dropped that fall it was a game changer, when Sonic appeared on a NINTENDO system, that was a game changer. I just knew that year was the official beginning of the 2000s. However if you were to ask me 8 months prior if thats what I would feel like I would tell you you are crazy. That is how much a difference things felt. Change was hitting you in the ass at every angle, in some ways bad (9/11) and it some ways good like TV and tech. Tv had this  "anything can happen mentality" at this point, with shows like Bernie Mac, Malcolm in the Middle, peak Wrestling. Even weird ish like That 80s show.

I also have to add that school year was highly sexualized more than any other school year I remember. It was like American Pie 2 the movie but in a school. The stamp of approval that the 2000s had arrived.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/27/18 at 6:25 pm

I was talking to my friend who is 21 last night and he said that was such a different time.

Written By: John Titor on 09/27/18 at 6:49 pm

I was talking to my friend who is 21 last night and he said that was such a different time.

I am 30, I can 100% tell you he is right. The 2000s felt like something exciting (positive) was happening every hour
of the day. Where the 2010s feel more blander, with crazy moments happening via social media (shootings etc)

The best way I can explain the vibe to you is  to watch these videos, these best represent the electricity of the early
2000s. The 2000s were over the top and crazy. I will use early 2002 era videos because I feel like it was the 2000s
at its most energetic form.

WM2W5xQk8ag
8GVyMvyxiPw
u0WBxfEv5II

Some commercials during the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX35z_U7o14

i think watching the commercials might give you a better vibe for the time if you are lil fuzzy on it.
Back when commercial had originality !

Written By: exodus08 on 09/27/18 at 7:19 pm

I am 30, I can 100% tell you he is right. The 2000s felt like something exciting (positive) was happening every hour
of the day. Where the 2010s feel more blander, with crazy moments happening via social media (shootings etc)

The best way I can explain the vibe to you is  to watch these videos, these best represent the electricity of the early
2000s. The 2000s were over the top and crazy. I will use early 2002 era videos because I feel like it was the 2000s
at its most energetic form.

WM2W5xQk8ag
8GVyMvyxiPw
u0WBxfEv5II

Some commercials during the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX35z_U7o14

i think watching the commercials might give you a better vibe for the time if you are lil fuzzy on it.
Back when commercial had originality !

Mean Girls is from 2004.

Written By: John Titor on 09/27/18 at 7:21 pm

Mean Girls is from 2004.
well yeah mean girls is the exception because it was filmed in 2003 despite being released in 2004

Written By: exodus08 on 09/27/18 at 7:36 pm

well yeah mean girls is the exception because it was filmed in 2003 despite being released in 2004

Oh I see what you're saying.  ;)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/28/18 at 7:23 pm

Yupp it was quite the experience, First half of 2001 and last half are NIGHT and day difference even before 9/11 happened. And the whole board knows my fav school year is the 2001-2002 year, things that school year just felt NEW exciting. When the Gamecube, Xbox and GTA 3 dropped that fall it was a game changer, when Sonic appeared on a NINTENDO system, that was a game changer. I just knew that year was the official beginning of the 2000s. However if you were to ask me 8 months prior if thats what I would feel like I would tell you you are crazy. That is how much a difference things felt. Change was hitting you in the ass at every angle, in some ways bad (9/11) and it some ways good like TV and tech. Tv had this  "anything can happen mentality" at this point, with shows like Bernie Mac, Malcolm in the Middle, peak Wrestling. Even weird ish like That 80s show.

I also have to add that school year was highly sexualized more than any other school year I remember. It was like American Pie 2 the movie but in a school. The stamp of approval that the 2000s had arrived.
I feel the same way about 2011, the frist half of the year the Blackberry was still the cool-phone to own with Andriod on the rise once late 2011 hit I started noticing more and more people get iphones and samsungs while Blackberries started to become obscure. Even though I feel like 2010 was a pretty 10s year it still felt very late 00s while 2011 you started to see Youtube with a black and white layout, Pokemon 5th generation in the US, and the birth of Snapchat and Mumble rap.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/29/18 at 3:54 am

I can see the 1990's being the last, but I'm biased.

Check for new replies or respond here...