inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much do you think has changed since the 2000s?

Written By: Star Struck on 09/15/18 at 9:07 pm

Since we're almost into 2019, that means we will be almost a year away from 2020. That means it would be almost 20 years since the 2000s started! So my question, how much do you think has changed since 2000 in terms of, well, everything? Technology, movies, cartoons, gaming, fashion,  etc.? I have my opinion, but I want to hear you guys first :) 

Subject: Re: How much do you think has changed since the 2000s?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/18 at 10:17 pm

A lot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/18 at 1:43 am

A lot.
Very much so!

Written By: Dundee on 09/16/18 at 6:19 am

Compared to 2000 or 2009? Compared to 2009, a lot, compared to 2000, a massive lot  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 09/16/18 at 8:53 am

Everything has been the same since 1999.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/18 at 9:01 am

Life still goes on... ?

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/16/18 at 12:09 pm

The total lack of rock music is the number 1 change in my opinion. It was such a huge part of American pop culture and society and it evaporated out of pop culture faster than the downfall of Blockbuster.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/18 at 2:25 pm

We definitely got a lot of security.

Written By: Star Struck on 09/17/18 at 12:15 am

Compared to 2000 or 2009? Compared to 2009, a lot, compared to 2000, a massive lot  ;D

I meant since 2000 and I agree! Looking back, so much has changed over years. Do you think tech like VR will be in home consoles in the 2020s or by the next generation of gaming consoles?

Written By: Star Struck on 09/17/18 at 12:17 am

We definitely got a lot of security.

That is true. My work needs to upgrade their security system, now that you mentioned it. Our store is old and the security system or alarms go off randomly, even when someone isn't stealing anything. 

Written By: Howard on 09/17/18 at 5:21 am

That is true. My work needs to upgrade their security system, now that you mentioned it. Our store is old and the security system or alarms go off randomly, even when someone isn't stealing anything.

We got more policing, more cameras inside and outside.

Written By: TheKingofDaLand on 09/20/18 at 6:17 pm

iPhones were less frequent then as they are now.
Um...
There are slightly more quality kids' programs now than 10 years ago. Such programs include Harvey Beaks, We Bare Bears, The Loud House, Clarence, and some others; however, the only programs you could get between 2007 and 2013 (which is when I grew up) were superhero shows, Regular Show, and Adventure Time; live-action programs featured iCarly and Victorious.
Uh...
Comedy has definitely changed; it somehow went from sensible to loud, rambunctious, uncaring, and rude af.
That's all I can think of.

Written By: wixness on 09/20/18 at 8:24 pm

The total lack of rock music is the number 1 change in my opinion. It was such a huge part of American pop culture and society and it evaporated out of pop culture faster than the downfall of Blockbuster.

This, a more complacent culture, blander music and gendered fashion. To be fair, rock was beginning to sound stale though.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/21/18 at 5:31 am

How about a completely upended and declining society? That would be a bigger change, I would think.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/21/18 at 7:29 pm

Lol then you're still 6 years old.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 7:33 pm

Lol then you're still 6 years old.

He would still be 5 in January and the beginning of February.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/21/18 at 7:37 pm

The internet is much more accessible to people
Skinny Jeans
Hip-Hop becoming less about skills and more about melodies
Video Games becoming more adult-oriented
Rock dying in favor of hip-hop
Anime being more mainstream
Social Media
Texting
Cellphones are an everyday item
No more Sega
No more Cingular
The rise of Beyonce
Spongebob Squarepants
Dora The Explorer
Terrorism
People born in 2000 are 18
The rise of Marvel movies

Written By: Dundee on 09/22/18 at 5:17 am

I won't say skills, but Hip Hop definitely got a lot more melodious and emotional compared to previous decades, to the point where the line between R&B and Hip Hop has been completely blurred. I would say Kanye West 2008's "808s and Heartbreaks" was a very defining album in that shift.

Anime was already quite big in the 90s with the likes of Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and Pokémon, but I guess their popularity skyrocketed with the rises of internet fanbases

The rise of Beyonce
Ok, but what makes this really different to the rises of other stars to point this one out?

Spongebob Squarepants
Dora The Explorer

Again, why are they worth being pointed out compared to dozens or so children's shows?

Terrorism
While the term isn't anything new and that sort of attacks happened in previous decades too, I guess the percieved dimension the attacks can take and the importance when it comes to sensationalisation changed quite drastically.

Written By: snps94 on 09/22/18 at 2:43 pm

How things have changed since 2000...

Politics & Government:
In America, at least, tremendous polarization between right and left. There has always been a divide, but it got way worse starting with the 2000 presidential election and has worsened considerably since. Growing protectionism regarding immigration and trade in the western countries. More anxiety over race and gender relations, social activism. Growing corporatism and lobbyists influencing politicians on matters like gun control, climate change, health care, and pharmaceuticals (especially with regard to the growing opioid addiction crisis.)

Security & Defense:
9/11 and the War on Terror, PATRIOT Act, TSA and other security measures in airports, NSA surveillance, Edward Snowden, considerable loss of respect for America abroad, and spreading international terrorism and extremism. Much greater xenophobia, particularly against Arab and Muslim people. Controversy and strained relations with Iran, North Korea, China, and Russia.

Economy & Finance:
Slower economic growth is the biggest difference. Big market crashes, like the Dot-com bust, housing crash, and the spike and collapse and recent recovery in oil prices. Stagnant middle class incomes. And of course, the ballooning federal budget deficit and spiraling national debt.

Science & Technology:
Rapidly growing understanding of the origins of the universe, black holes, exoplanet discoveries, and the start of the commercial space industry. Big developments in quantum mechanics and computing. The explosion of broadband internet, smartphones, social media. Emergence of mainstream 3D computing, self-driving cars, and renewable energy and electric vehicles.

Culture & Entertainment:
In music, rap and hip-hop have replaced rock as the go-to for young people. Pop music has become more accepted, whereas it used to be more often derided as manufactured drivel. Physical album sales have been upended by streaming and downloads.

In film, superhero movies have taken over the industry, rom-coms have largely faded, and the dark and gritty aesthetic has become the norm. Movie theater tickets became obscenely expensive. Digital and HD replaced analog film.

In TV, cable has lost much ground to streaming services, production values have increased a lot, serialized cartoons and fantasy dramas became hugely popular. Flat screens and 4K ultimately replaced CRT box TV sets.

In the news, 24-hour news channels (with more fear-mongering and running tickers) are now the standard, newspapers have largely disappeared in favor of online news sites and forums. Trust in the news media has severely eroded.

The internet has become far more commercialized, standardized, and memes have become a mainstay of online culture. In many ways, however, exploding internet access has made the world smaller, and brought about a much greater understanding and mixing of different cultures around world, but also has encouraged insular thinking and echo chambers (e.g. anti-vaxxers.)

Written By: wixness on 09/22/18 at 3:10 pm

How things have changed since 2000...

Politics & Government:
In America, at least, tremendous polarization between right and left. There has always been a divide, but it got way worse starting with the 2000 presidential election and has worsened considerably since. Growing protectionism regarding immigration and trade in the western countries. More anxiety over race and gender relations, social activism. Growing corporatism and lobbyists influencing politicians on matters like gun control, climate change, health care, and pharmaceuticals (especially with regard to the growing opioid addiction crisis.)

Security & Defense:
9/11 and the War on Terror, PATRIOT Act, TSA and other security measures in airports, NSA surveillance, Edward Snowden, considerable loss of respect for America abroad, and spreading international terrorism and extremism. Much greater xenophobia, particularly against Arab and Muslim people. Controversy and strained relations with Iran, North Korea, China, and Russia.

Economy & Finance:
Slower economic growth is the biggest difference. Big market crashes, like the Dot-com bust, housing crash, and the spike and collapse and recent recovery in oil prices. Stagnant middle class incomes. And of course, the ballooning federal budget deficit and spiraling national debt.

Science & Technology:
Rapidly growing understanding of the origins of the universe, black holes, exoplanet discoveries, and the start of the commercial space industry. Big developments in quantum mechanics and computing. The explosion of broadband internet, smartphones, social media. Emergence of mainstream 3D computing, self-driving cars, and renewable energy and electric vehicles.

Culture & Entertainment:
In music, rap and hip-hop have replaced rock as the go-to for young people. Pop music has become more accepted, whereas it used to be more often derided as manufactured drivel. Physical album sales have been upended by streaming and downloads.

In film, superhero movies have taken over the industry, rom-coms have largely faded, and the dark and gritty aesthetic has become the norm. Movie theater tickets became obscenely expensive. Digital and HD replaced analog film.

In TV, cable has lost much ground to streaming services, production values have increased a lot, serialized cartoons and fantasy dramas became hugely popular. Flat screens and 4K ultimately replaced CRT box TV sets.

In the news, 24-hour news channels (with more fear-mongering and running tickers) are now the standard, newspapers have largely disappeared in favor of online news sites and forums. Trust in the news media has severely eroded.

The internet has become far more commercialized, standardized, and memes have become a mainstay of online culture. In many ways, however, exploding internet access has made the world smaller, and brought about a much greater understanding and mixing of different cultures around world, but also has encouraged insular thinking and echo chambers (e.g. anti-vaxxers.)

We're truly on an awful timeline here.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/18 at 4:01 pm

The internet is much more accessible to people
Skinny Jeans
Video Games becoming more adult-oriented
Rock dying in favor of hip-hop
Social Media
Texting
Cellphones are an everyday item
No more Sega
No more Cingular
The rise of Beyonce
Spongebob Squarepants
Dora The Explorer
Terrorism
People born in 2000 are 18
The rise of Marvel movies

just about everyone is using them now.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/22/18 at 7:05 pm

This, a more complacent culture, blander music and gendered fashion. To be fair, rock was beginning to sound stale though.

Trap music sounded stale after the first week of it's dominance. I was loving indie rock music during the late 2000s but people got over that pretty quickly.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/23/18 at 5:33 am

Anime was already quite big in the 90s with the likes of Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and Pokémon, but I guess their popularity skyrocketed with the rises of internet fanbases

Not OP, but I would say a lot of the stigma attached to the watching of anime has evaporated over the last couple decades, probably due in large part to that accessibility. And the kinds and varieties of anime we get over here now as compared to in the '60s and '70s is substantially greater, and importers tend to be much more willing to leave the translations in their original form, as opposed to Westernizing a lot of things for kids or Western audiences. I might not be saying that quite right, but you'd be hard-pressed nowadays to see dubbers translating rice balls as donuts today.

Spongebob Squarepants

Dora The Explorer

Again, why are they worth being pointed out compared to dozens or so children's shows?

Again not OP, but I would say that, like The Simpsons, the longevity of these two shows in particular is worth noting. Long-standing cartoons usually last a decade or so. The Simpsons and South Park have been around for around 30 years between them, and Spongebob is entering its second decade. Very few cartoons indeed can say the same, throughout American animated television history. The only one that I can think of off the bat is the original incarnation of Looney Tunes, which has been long, long gone.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/23/18 at 10:20 am

How about a completely upended and declining society? That would be a bigger change, I would think.

Eh. That seems like an eye of the beholder kind of thing. Society has always seemed screwed up to me and when I read history books, society seemed just as screwed up and sometimes even more in the past.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/23/18 at 12:22 pm

January 1, 2000:
*I'm a toothless baby that can't crawl yet.

September 23, 2018:
*I'm a 19-year-old that has long hair, studies for college classes, and surfs the web.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/18 at 2:17 pm

In today's world, we've become snowflakes and more PC than ever.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/23/18 at 9:37 pm

In today's world, we've become snowflakes and more PC than ever.

I honestly don't believe that. People today lack courage. Even when it comes to being wrong.

If people don't like what you think or say, you can tell em to fk off. Own yourself. Own what you have to say. Own what you think. Own what you feel.

But...and this is a lesson I continue to learn...sometimes what you say, think, or feel, isn't as good as you think.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/23/18 at 10:08 pm

I won't say skills, but Hip Hop definitely got a lot more melodious and emotional compared to previous decades, to the point where the line between R&B and Hip Hop has been completely blurred. I would say Kanye West 2008's "808s and Heartbreaks" was a very defining album in that shift.
Ok, but what makes this really different to the rises of other stars to point this one out?
While the term isn't anything new and that sort of attacks happened in previous decades too, I guess the percieved dimension the attacks can take and the importance when it comes to sensationalisation changed quite drastically.
Beyonce as a solo artist has been big since 2002 and she still sells out arena till this day

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/24/18 at 8:51 am

I honestly don't believe that. People today lack courage. Even when it comes to being wrong.

If people don't like what you think or say, you can tell em to fk off. Own yourself. Own what you have to say. Own what you think. Own what you feel.

But...and this is a lesson I continue to learn...sometimes what you say, think, or feel, isn't as good as you think.

I completely agree. If everyone you talk to says you’re being offensive, maybe it’s because you are.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 9:42 am

It wasn't until 2016 and 2017 when I finally felt like a lot had changed since 2008 and 2009, before then those 2 years still felt very recent to me and I felt like not much had changed since the finally 2 years of the 2000's. Well, since we're in 2018 now I can say a lot had changed politically (in the social aspect of it) for sure. Technology hasn't changed much since the tail end of the 2000's but for most of the 2000's I can say a lot has changed since then. Pop culturally a lot had changed since the 2000's too compared to where we are now in 2018.

Written By: JD120300 on 09/26/18 at 6:41 pm

It wasn't until 2016 and 2017 when I finally felt like a lot had changed since 2008 and 2009, before then those 2 years still felt very recent to me and I felt like not much had changed since the finally 2 years of the 2000's. Well, since we're in 2018 now I can say a lot had changed politically (in the social aspect of it) for sure. Technology hasn't changed much since the tail end of the 2000's but for most of the 2000's I can say a lot has changed since then. Pop culturally a lot had changed since the 2000's too compared to where we are now in 2018.

ALL OF THIS!!!

Written By: John Titor on 09/26/18 at 6:49 pm

ALL OF THIS!!!

because late 2008- late 2016 is one gigantic era
with smaller sub eras inside of it

Written By: JD120300 on 09/26/18 at 7:01 pm

because late 2008- late 2016 is one gigantic era
with smaller sub eras inside of it

What a coincidence! That’s the whole Obama 44th term as president

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/26/18 at 7:33 pm

Actually technology has changed a lot. The domination of smartphones, the emergence of holograms and the newfound viability of clean energy being among the most obvious.

Written By: ofkx on 09/27/18 at 8:47 am

What? How are 2008 and 2016 in the same era ;D?? I mean I know that you're all entitled to your opinions which I respect but HOW. 2008 and 2011 not even the same era let alone 2016 :-X. They're worlds apart.

Check for new replies or respond here...