inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the '10s will age poorly?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/18/18 at 1:55 am

I personally think the '10s will age poorly in the years ahead.  I think people will laugh at hipster culture and it will be a widely made fun of and parodied aspects of the '10s in future nostalgia pieces.  I think the music will be like the '80s in that it will all sound the same to future generations and it will still be loved by people who spent some or all of their youth in this decade but reviled by the youth of the 2020s.  I think the one bright spot of this decade is television.  I think the gritty realism of '10s TV will age pretty well.  Movies on the other hand I'm not so sure about.  While there have been a lot of great movies this decade, I really think the '10s will be most remembered for its superhero movies and its reboots.  Disney's total sabotage of Star Wars will also be a part of the story.  I think this decade has been particularly bad for adult comedy in movies.  TV, thankfully, steps in and fills that niche.

Politically, society always moves forward and while this decade, at least in the US, is ending with significant setbacks in social progress, society overall is headed in the right direction.  I think 10-15 years from now most Americans will be able to admit Trump was a mistake, even many of his die-hard supporters today.

What do you think?  How do you think the '10s will be looked back on in the decades ahead?

Subject: Re: Do you think the '10s will age poorly?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/18/18 at 2:39 am

Politically, society always moves forward and while this decade, at least in the US, is ending with significant setbacks in social progress, society overall is headed in the right direction.  I think 10-15 years from now most Americans will be able to admit Trump was a mistake, even many of his die-hard supporters today.

Wow, what happened? This is the first time in ages you've sounded even the slightest bit optimistic about the ways of the world.

Written By: 2001 on 09/18/18 at 10:26 am

It will probably be considered laughable embarrassment in a few decades time, but that's how the best decades usually go down :D

Written By: John Titor on 09/18/18 at 2:02 pm

I personally think the '10s will age poorly in the years ahead.  I think people will laugh at hipster culture and it will be a widely made fun of and parodied aspects of the '10s in future nostalgia pieces.  I think the music will be like the '80s in that it will all sound the same to future generations and it will still be loved by people who spent some or all of their youth in this decade but reviled by the youth of the 2020s.  I think the one bright spot of this decade is television.  I think the gritty realism of '10s TV will age pretty well.  Movies on the other hand I'm not so sure about.  While there have been a lot of great movies this decade, I really think the '10s will be most remembered for its superhero movies and its reboots.  Disney's total sabotage of Star Wars will also be a part of the story.  I think this decade has been particularly bad for adult comedy in movies.  TV, thankfully, steps in and fills that niche.

What do you think?  How do you think the '10s will be looked back on in the decades ahead?

The edgeyness of tv shows will be laughed at, Example watching that DC Titans trailer and Robin saying F*CK Batman in a edge lord voice.
It is not going to age well at all. The fact that shows that are Campy like Stranger Things are more popular vs Walking Dead is very telling.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/18/18 at 2:44 pm

I think the 2010s will age in a similar fashion akin to the 1970s. It will be remembered fondly in a pop cultural sense to the youth of the decade. But for everybody else, they'd remember the decade for its worst aspects. Both decades are similar in the feeling that 'America's Best Days Are/Were behind Us' & in economic malaise. Not to mention the political turbulence found in both decades & the dissatisfaction on our institutions. As an example; you had the Watergate Scandal & the continuation of the controversial Vietnam War in the 1970s and you currently have the current RussiaGate Scandal involving Trump & many other hot topic political issues of our day, notably the #metoo movement, in the 2010s.

However, I think both decades provided some great entertainment. 1970s is arguably one of the greatest decades for film and the 2010s has been a great renaissance for Television (not to mention many great TV shows in the 70s & movies in the 10s). Overall, I think the 2010s would actually age better (at least IMO) than the 2000s.

Weirdly, enough, I predict that the 2020s to be (and correct me if I'm wrong in a few years or a decade from now) as a 'neo' 1980s in many respects. With the current rise in autonomous vehicles, rise in 'fast fashion'/street wear', the return of Yuppies (Muppies for a modern take ;D), among other life changing societal norms that are going on now I expect to continue on a more grand scale in the 2020s. This current decade feels like a modern 1970s & I think its because of that in which is why everybody seems very on edge now. Its almost as if people are getting tired of the complacent & meek essence of this decade and want something 'fresh' or 'invigorating'. The next two years (and even 2018 in many respects) will serve as a glimpse on how the 2020s will be like!

Perhaps trust in our institutions & our government may also return as well, but thats neither here nor there ::).

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/18/18 at 2:53 pm

Overall, I think the 2010s would actually age better (at least IMO) than the 2000s.

The 2000s aged wonderfully tho.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/18/18 at 3:00 pm

The 10's, I'm certain, will be revered as the 80's.  Brought back to life through the imagination and played out to the world of the future with sweet nostalgia and longing for simpler times.  Only then will we realize, these are the days.

The 80's were full of SARCASM.

The 90's were full of HARSH.

The 00's were full of OPTOMIZM.

The 10's were full of STRIFE.

Written By: Emman on 09/18/18 at 4:07 pm

I'd imagine from the hypothetical perspective of a young person in 2050 that much of the music and fashion of the 2010s will hardly stand out from the 2000s(and if the similar trend continues, the 2020s). It's just not very distinctive and original, just a blur of "the early 21st century". :-\\

Written By: John Titor on 09/18/18 at 4:17 pm

I think the 2010s will age in a similar fashion akin to the 1970s. It will be remembered fondly in a pop cultural sense to the youth of the decade. But for everybody else, they'd remember the decade for its worst aspects. Both decades are similar in the feeling that 'America's Best Days Are/Were behind Us' & in economic malaise. Not to mention the political turbulence found in both decades & the dissatisfaction on our institutions. As an example; you had the Watergate Scandal & the continuation of the controversial Vietnam War in the 1970s and you currently have the current RussiaGate Scandal involving Trump & many other hot topic political issues of our day, notably the #metoo movement, in the 2010s.

However, I think both decades provided some great entertainment. 1970s is arguably one of the greatest decades for film and the 2010s has been a great renaissance for Television (not to mention many great TV shows in the 70s & movies in the 10s). Overall, I think the 2010s would actually age better (at least IMO) than the 2000s.

Weirdly, enough, I predict that the 2020s to be (and correct me if I'm wrong in a few years or a decade from now) as a 'neo' 1980s in many respects. With the current rise in autonomous vehicles, rise in 'fast fashion'/street wear', the return of Yuppies (Muppies for a modern take ;D), among other life changing societal norms that are going on now I expect to continue on a more grand scale in the 2020s. This current decade feels like a modern 1970s & I think its because of that in which is why everybody seems very on edge now. Its almost as if people are getting tired of the complacent & meek essence of this decade and want something 'fresh' or 'invigorating'. The next two years (and even 2018 in many respects) will serve as a glimpse on how the 2020s will be like!

Perhaps trust in our institutions & our government may also return as well, but thats neither here nor there ::).

2000s had a neo 80s vibe as well

- vice city, that 80s show, 80s fashions coming back
- Materialism at full effect
- Booming Economy kind of like today
- Republican President

We shall see if the 2020s will be like it

Written By: John Titor on 09/18/18 at 4:19 pm

The 2000s aged wonderfully tho.

The early 2000s have not lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/18/18 at 7:24 pm

Which decade has aged well?

NOT A RHETORICAL QUESTION

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/19/18 at 7:28 am

The early 2000s have not lol

In what category? The early 2000s have spectacular Hip Hop and R&B, great tv programing and fun pop culture. It gets mostly everything right.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/19/18 at 12:39 pm

The 2010's were probably more akin to 1974-1983 than 1970-1979.

In 1980, you had shocking Republican victory and the liberal way of life before it seemed to almost disappear overnight.

In 2016, you had another shocking Republican victory that made the liberal way of life before it almost disappear overnight.

Not to mention, 2010-2019 have the same Chinese zodiac animals as 1974-1983.

Written By: John Titor on 09/19/18 at 12:43 pm

In what category? The early 2000s have spectacular Hip Hop and R&B, great tv programing and fun pop culture. It gets mostly everything right.

its classic but has aged badly

Written By: Milk on 09/19/18 at 1:54 pm

Like all decades before it the 2010s will age badly it's just hard to picture it now since we're currently in it

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/19/18 at 4:38 pm

It won't if you just ignore all the bad stuff and focus on the good.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/19/18 at 8:03 pm

The 2010's were probably more akin to 1974-1983 than 1970-1979.

In 1980, you had shocking Republican victory and the liberal way of life before it seemed to almost disappear overnight.

In 2016, you had another shocking Republican victory that made the liberal way of life before it almost disappear overnight.

Not to mention, 2010-2019 have the same Chinese zodiac animals as 1974-1983.

I don't see it.

If you said 2002 instead of 2016, I'd see where you were coming from. I don't see the evidence for this in 2016. Congress had already been ruled by the Republicans most of the 2010s before 2016.

I see the country in more of a state of utter confusion, rabidness, and reassessment.

Is there any evidence that liberalism is dead and conservativism is ruling the culture? Trump is absolutely nowhere near respected as Reagan and the Republican congress is looking to lose at least the house this year

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/20/18 at 11:10 am

I don't see it.

If you said 2002 instead of 2016, I'd see where you were coming from. I don't see the evidence for this in 2016. Congress had already been ruled by the Republicans most of the 2010s before 2016.

I see the country in more of a state of utter confusion, rabidness, and reassessment.

Is there any evidence that liberalism is dead and conservativism is ruling the culture? Trump is absolutely nowhere near respected as Reagan and the Republican congress is looking to lose at least the house this year

I think that ZeldaFan20 said something similar to what I said back in around late 2016 or early 2017.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/20/18 at 9:58 pm

I think that ZeldaFan20 said something similar to what I said back in around late 2016 or early 2017.

That's cool. I'm just not seeing the same thing. I know the Republicans are in charge right now, but it definitely does not feel like 2001-2006. That was probably the most Republican era I think I've lived through.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 9:36 am

Depends on where you live.  If you live in Trump country, he is overwhelmingly popular and very respected.

Trump in my opinion killed hipster culture and the liberal zeitgeist that ruled the mid 10s.  Maybe it was already trending in that direction but I think the abrupt shift to a more conservative culture in 2017 accelerated its decline.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 9:51 am

Depends on where you live.  If you live in Trump country, he is overwhelmingly popular and very respected.

Trump in my opinion killed hipster culture and the liberal zeitgeist that ruled the mid 10s.  Maybe it was already trending in that direction but I think the abrupt shift to a more conservative culture in 2017 accelerated its decline.

The whole SJW vs. Alt-right drama dated back to around 2014.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/21/18 at 10:12 am

True. The region of the country you live in may impact how Trump is viewed there. I live in a very liberal state, so the anti-Trump sentiment is immensely strong. Even the more conservative areas by me have soured on 'Trumpism' in a sense. Then again, New Jersey Republicans are notoriously moderate (sometimes even liberal) on social issues & a lot of them work in Wall Street or in financial services, so its not surprising that they've soured on Trump.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 12:28 pm

The whole SJW vs. Alt-right drama dated back to around 2014.

Back then though the momentum was on the progressive side and significantly so.  Nowadays it's all on the side of the alt-right.  America has been overtaken by racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and hatred against anybody who dares to challenge the status quo of WASP society.  This is the most conservative era since maybe the 1980s if not the 1950s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/21/18 at 3:27 pm

Back then though the momentum was on the progressive side and significantly so.  Nowadays it's all on the side of the alt-right.  America has been overtaken by racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and hatred against anybody who dares to challenge the status quo of WASP society.  This is the most conservative era since maybe the 1980s if not the 1950s.
Most of the mainstream media are anti-trump since CNN, MSNBC, and ABC are very liberal. The pro-trump media is Fox and the Christian media of CBN. I think most trump supporters are more moderate than pure conservative hence why Trump has a strong Gen Z support despite most of them are able to vote yet. The young Trumpets are more moderate/libertarian whereas the older trump supporters are strongly conservative.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 3:37 pm

True. The region of the country you live in may impact how Trump is viewed there. I live in a very liberal state, so the anti-Trump sentiment is immensely strong. Even the more conservative areas by me have soured on 'Trumpism' in a sense. Then again, New Jersey Republicans are notoriously moderate (sometimes even liberal) on social issues & a lot of them work in Wall Street or in financial services, so its not surprising that they've soured on Trump.

Didn't New Jersey give 14 free electoral votes to Hillary (sort of like how California basically gave 55 free electoral votes to Hillary)?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 3:43 pm

Most of the mainstream media are anti-trump since CNN, MSNBC, and ABC are very liberal. The pro-trump media is Fox and the Christian media of CBN. I think most trump supporters are more moderate than pure conservative hence why Trump has a strong Gen Z support despite most of them are able to vote yet. The young Trumpets are more moderate/libertarian whereas the older trump supporters are strongly conservative.

In my university, my year group (born late 1998-mid 1999) is very mixed.

Some seem to be more liberal, and others seem to be more conservative. However, I seem to notice that the females seem more liberal and the males seem more libertarian or conservative.

Thankfully, I haven't met any of the #Resist or ethnostate types yet.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/20 at 12:44 pm

Weirdly, enough, I predict that the 2020s to be (and correct me if I'm wrong in a few years or a decade from now) as a 'neo' 1980s in many respects.

Music-wise it's like that with a lot of 80s sounding songs being popular. On the whole though it feels more like a neo-2000s oddly enough with so many changes happening, only a lot worse and the changes aren't good. Or a neo-60s or neo-40s. But so far the 2020s feel very unique as nothing like this has ever happened before. There were plagues in the past but never mass worldwide social distancing measures in place like we have now.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/20/20 at 3:47 pm

I disagree with you, bchris02

because everytime I heard something on the radio as early as 2013, I wanted my ears to start bleeding so I could be taken away. And I was only 14.

Yeah, I think the '10s will age terribly. I hope '10-'12 in specific are exceptions, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...