inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Athleisure: Welcome to the 2020s?

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/20/18 at 9:43 pm

If you haven't noticed the resurgence of Adidas, Puma, and Nike logos, you must be blind or living under a rock. I think athleisure is definitely a sign that we're in a transitional period.

https://www.smudailycampus.com/ae/athleisure-fad-or-fashion

Subject: Re: Athleisure: Welcome to the 2020s?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/20/18 at 9:48 pm

I've seen it for a while now.

Apparently, the trend seemed to have dated back to at least 2014:

https://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/a11690/athleisure-trend/

Here are some articles from 2015 about it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/05/fashion/adventures-in-athleisure-clothing.html
https://qz.com/570023/2015-was-the-year-that-athleisure-won/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-athleisure-is-here-to-stay-in-2016-2015-12

It's probably one of the definitive fashions of the mid-late 2010's.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/20/18 at 9:53 pm

I've seen it for a while now.

Apparently, the trend seemed to have dated back to at least 2014:

https://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/a11690/athleisure-trend/

Here are some articles from 2015 about it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/05/fashion/adventures-in-athleisure-clothing.html
https://qz.com/570023/2015-was-the-year-that-athleisure-won/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-athleisure-is-here-to-stay-in-2016-2015-12

It's probably one of the definitive fashions of the mid-late 2010's.

I think it's turning into something more than just a trend. I think a fitness craze could be on the horizon. (edit) Or maybe even a sports craze.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/20/18 at 10:54 pm

I think it's turning into something more than just a trend. I think a fitness craze could be on the horizon. (edit) Or maybe even a sports craze.

There kind of is a fitness craze this decade  with the whole thing about working out and gaining muscle.

It's more of a late 2010's thing to be honest.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/20/18 at 10:57 pm

There kind of is a fitness craze this decade  with the whole thing about working out and gaining muscle.

It's more of a late 2010's thing to be honest.

Perhaps (I haven't really seen a fitness crazy. It's been all about fat acceptance and living happily doing nothing but Netflix and chill imo) but late decade stuff always transforms and take new life at the beginning of the next.

Written By: xenzue on 09/20/18 at 11:02 pm

Nah, we've been on that wave for years now. I think it's more of a late 2010s thing.

Written By: Dundee on 09/21/18 at 12:34 am

Y'all living under a rock, athleisure is been a huge thing since early-mid 2010s ;D ;D

Written By: xenzue on 09/21/18 at 3:40 am

Y'all living under a rock, athleisure is been a huge thing since early-mid 2010s ;D ;D

I wanted to say that it was a mid 2010s thing but they'd drag me lol

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 8:13 am

I wanted to say that it was a mid 2010s thing but they'd drag me lol

I think that they are a mid to late 2010's (2014-present) thing.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 9:29 am

Nope.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/21/18 at 9:39 am

I was in high school & college back then; athleisure wear certainly was popular, but nowhere near the levels of popularity it is at now. I agree with the OP, I've noticed a new fitness craze among many young adults (at least where I live in the NYC/Tri-State Area) within the last couple of years. I also notice a lot of people are going into jobs like Physical trainers, Sports trainers, Nutritionists, Physician Assistants, etc, which align within the fields of healthcare & fitness.

Similar to what the fitness craze of the 1980s (with the help of Jane Fonda) were to Boomers is what this modern fitness craze (thanks to the rise in Instagram fitness stars) has & will be for us Millennials in the 2010s & 2020s. I don't see this trend dying anytime soon, especially as the economy continues to improve and people could start to afford to live an active & healthy lifestyle.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/21/18 at 9:45 am

To continue my point on the rise of fitness; I also think the popularity of wearable technology, notably smartwatches, coincides with this.

IV2_JPc22g8

With the recent release of the Apple Watch Series 4, which serves as a major redesign to previous Apple Watches, along with other companies getting better with health related technology within the watches, I only expect this trend to continue massively in popularity & sustainably.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 9:58 am

If you haven't noticed the resurgence of Adidas, Puma, and Nike logos, you must be blind or living under a rock. I think athleisure is definitely a sign that we're in a transitional period.

https://www.smudailycampus.com/ae/athleisure-fad-or-fashion

OLD NEWS

this has been a thing since 2014

Written By: Dundee on 09/21/18 at 10:15 am

Yeah, 2014 seems to be the definitive year where it got huge:
https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaadamczyk/2015/02/26/athleisure-trend-drives-fashion-sales-growth-in-2014/amp/

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 2:58 pm

This is what I mean about states being slow to trends lol

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 3:16 pm

2014 was the year the trend started.

I think that it's peaking this year and next year.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 3:31 pm

2014 was the year the trend started.

I think that it's peaking this year and next year.

peaked in 2015/ late 2016  it starting to wane a little a bit in early 2018

http://well-spent.com/athleisure-dead-long-live-athleisure/

Well that was fun while it lasted. According to a recent story at Business Insider, athleisure, once the darling sub-sector of general apparel, is officially over.

“The athleisure trend is dead, and dying faster every day,” Tom Nikic, a Wells Fargo analyst, told BI, somehow implying both total destruction and impending doom. 🤔

Citing a wide range of market data, the story paints a fairly grim picture for a group that includes Nike, Under Armour, and Lululemon, among others. “The athletic apparel/footwear space was one of the strongest sub-sectors in our group coming out of the recession; but after an impressive multi-year growth cycle, we see several areas for concern that are not only likely weighing on the industry, but also have the potential to accelerate,” Nikic said.

And even though this information came from Wells Fargo — a real pillar of scruples as of late — the implications are scary for an industry still trying to catch its breath after a historically bad couple of quarters.

Since 2011, athletic wear was basically just a Fly Knit-fueled growth machine, ultimately accounting for “30 percent of the total and footwear industry” by 2016. But now, even Nike, the sub-sector’s backbone, is “being conservative in how it’s guiding investors,” while Under Armour has been “one of the hardest hit companies” as the market moves toward “more fashion-forward brands.”

(Notably absent from this forecast was Adidas, who continue to sell sneakers at a rate that’s on par with most illicit narcotics.)

Look, no one is going to cry for athleisure. The portmanteau was about as popular as the word “moist” and the companies that produce it aren’t always easy to root for. But if they’re not buoying retail industry, someone needs to.

You can read more about it at Business Insider.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 3:41 pm

I think it's definitely too early to start looking for 2020s culture or what will define the next decade.

Unlike 2008, 2018 has not brought us a significant political shift, an economic crisis, a significant musical movement/artist(s), or any game-changing consumer technology.  Those are among the factors that made 2008 the significant year that it was and why so many people consider it the year that gave birth to '10s culture.  I really don't see anything to indicate that 2018 is the start of the cultural 2020s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 3:53 pm

I think it's definitely too early to start looking for 2020s culture or what will define the next decade.

Unlike 2008, 2018 has not brought us a significant political shift, an economic crisis, a significant musical movement/artist(s), or any game-changing consumer technology.  Those are among the factors that made 2008 the significant year that it was and why so many people consider it the year that gave birth to '10s culture.  I really don't see anything to indicate that 2018 is the start of the cultural 2020s.

I'm not trying to say that things are changing in 2018, but we do seem to be drifting away a little bit from the core 2010's (2013-2017):
*Shows integral to this decade's culture like Portlandia and Adventure Time came to an end this year.
*This is a bit controversial to say here, but I think that Gen Z seems to finally have a firm identity this year with tide pods, the Parkland shooting and its aftermath, "Gen Z yellow", and XXXTentacion's death.
*Those big black hipster glasses along with hipster fashion in general seem to be gone now.

2018 is probably at least 90% 2010's though.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 4:33 pm

I'm not trying to say that things are changing in 2018, but we do seem to be drifting away a little bit from the core 2010's (2013-2017):
*Shows integral to this decade's culture like Portlandia and Adventure Time came to an end this year.
*This is a bit controversial to say here, but I think that Gen Z seems to finally have a firm identity this year with tide pods, the Parkland shooting and its aftermath, "Gen Z yellow", and XXXTentacion's death.
*Those big black hipster glasses along with hipster fashion in general seem to be gone now.

2018 is probably at least 90% 2010's though.

This, its more of a slow burn that started in late 2016/2017, 1997 was also a slow burn year as well  along with late 2001 - 2002 school year (9/11 made the change quicker tho,along with the new systems)

I will use 1997 as an example because classic 90s things were fading slowly, it wasn't just one big change,  You had Spice Girls in Janaury of that year, SNES dead, PlayStation completely taking over , Around April Backstreet Boys become a house hold name, TRL debuts as MTV LIVE that fall, Family Matters leaves TGIF and starts a war with CBS block party, Beavis & Butthead end, Ceo of MTV declares their new focus is GEN Y things were very slow to change but it did.

By the time we got to 1998 most of the changes already did themselves in

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 4:58 pm

This, its more of a slow burn that started in late 2016/2017, 1997 was also a slow burn year as well  along with late 2001 - 2002 school year (9/11 made the change quicker tho,along with the new systems)

I will use 1997 as an example because classic 90s things were fading slowly, it wasn't just one big change,  You had Spice Girls in Janaury of that year, SNES dead, PlayStation completely taking over , Around April Backstreet Boys become a house hold name, TRL debuts as MTV LIVE that fall, Family Matters leaves TGIF and starts a war with CBS block party, Beavis & Butthead end, Ceo of MTV declares their new focus is GEN Y things were very slow to change but it did.

By the time we got to 1998 most of the changes already did themselves in

So you think that by next year (according to this pattern), most of the changes will already "do themselves" in?

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 5:13 pm

So you think that by next year, most of the changes will already "do themselves" in?
For the most part things have been building since the day Trump got elected

- Emo rap,  XXX death, Mac Millers death ( he isn't emo rap)
the genre will prob peak next year

Emo/pop punk  underground movement
Has been brewing for some time with nights like EMO NITE in areas of LA and NY, only time will tell
but it looks like its growing by every month.

Death of Hipster
Already listed tons of articles on why, Portlandia a show about Hipsters is ending because the
culture is on the decline.

Decline of Facebook
#Delete Facebook and all the privacy concerns going on.

mee too derailed
The whole thing with that woman actor really derailed the movement, I forget her name.

Decline  of Post apocalyptic shows in favor of Camp
Steven King's IT,  Stranger things

Return of Sitcoms 
TGIF is back October 5th by the way,  Fuller House , One day at a time, Kevin cant wait

All of this stuff is building towards the foundation of what the 2020s will be

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 5:16 pm

Has been brewing for some time with nights like EMO NITE in areas of LA and NY, only time will tell

Death of Hipster
Already listed tons of articles on why, Portlandia a show about Hipsters is ending because the

Decline of Facebook

mee too derailed
The whole thing with that woman actor really derailed the movement, I forget her name.

Return of Sitcoms 
TGIF is back October 5th by the way,  Fuller House , One day at a time, Kevin cant wait

I don't really see that.

By what I have seen, 2018 seems to have some changes, but not enough to make any of them shifts.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 5:43 pm

I don't really see that.

By what I have seen, 2018 seems to have some changes, but not enough to make any of them shifts.

You mean the things building or what I posted in gen

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 5:43 pm

Death of Hipster

Decline of Facebook

mee too derailed

Return of Sitcoms 

I think all of these things define the late 2010s and aren't indications of what the next decade will bring.  I also still don't agree that we are experiencing a pop-punk revival.  Maybe 2019 will be the year it finally happens.

I do agree with the rest of what you posted, but as I said this is all late 2010s culture.  Especially stuff like #MeToo, #DeleteFacebook, and the decline of hipster culture.  All of those tie directly in with the Trump Presidency.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 5:45 pm

I think all of these things define the late 2010s and aren't indications of what the next decade will bring.  I also still don't agree that we are experiencing a pop-punk revival.  Maybe 2019 will be the year it finally happens.

I do agree with the rest of what you posted, but as I said this is all late 2010s culture.  Especially stuff like #MeToo, #DeleteFacebook, and the decline of hipster culture.  All of those tie directly in with the Trump Presidency.

I don't see the pop-punk revival happening.

There's just not enough proof or evidence of it being heard of.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 6:02 pm

I don't see the pop-punk revival happening.

There's just not enough proof or evidence of it being heard of.

Yeah it's mostly just one poster on this site that repeatedly says that it's happening or about to.

One of the great things about the Internet era is you are no longer tied to the monoculture and genres that have fallen out of mainstream favorability, like pop punk for instance, can still enjoy very vibrant, accessible underground scenes.  This is a great time for European trance for instance but I'm not going to try to say that the genre is as popular as it was in the 90s/early 2000s.

Written By: xenzue on 09/21/18 at 6:50 pm

I think it's more likely that Emo rap eventually evolves into its own thing than for pop punk to fully comeback. Nowadays the term emo rap is a lot more inclusive so I wonder if the label will eventually get replaced.

Written By: Dundee on 09/22/18 at 5:02 am

Now that the thread has completely drifted away from the original subject and mostly headed towards another discussion about how revolutionnary, shifting and 2020s-defining 2018 is since several posts, shouldn't this thread be closed?

Written By: 2001 on 09/22/18 at 8:21 am

As has been mentioned already, athleisure has been around since the mid-2010s, but it is definitely getting more popular. One thing I noticed when I went to the UK was athelisure was 10x more popular there than here, which is ironic for us, being the birthplace of the designer yoga pants and all ;D

But what I also noticed that it was mostly the lower class areas/chavs that went all in on athleisure. I think it will be associated with lousy dressers soon enough and it could fall out of fashion pretty quickly. It will probably stick around in the early 2020s, but I'm unsure about its enduring popularity. OTOH, it's super comfortable and it looks good, which is a good recipe for it to last a long time.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/22/18 at 9:43 am

Now that the thread has completely drifted away from the original subject and mostly headed towards another discussion about how revolutionnary, shifting and 2020s-defining 2018 is since several posts, shouldn't this thread be closed?

Um..... No, it should not.

As has been mentioned already, athleisure has been around since the mid-2010s, but it is definitely getting more popular. One thing I noticed when I went to the UK was athelisure was 10x more popular there than here, which is ironic for us, being the birthplace of the designer yoga pants and all ;D

Yep its similar to hows its evolved where I live in the Northeast United States. Athleisure wear started to get big in 2014-2015 with the rise in popularity for Joggers, Yoga Pants, Adidas hoodies, embrace for sneakers outside the common Nike brand like (Adidas, Puma, Under Armour, etc.), low rise track sneakers, etc. It also coincided with the rise in popularity for smartwatches, which allowed people to easily track how many calories they've burned, how many 'steps' they've taken, their BPM at any moment, among other related things.

However, 2014-2015 was the height of the hipster subculture, so that was mainly the thing that people tried to emulate in fashionable & lifestyle sense. Since 2016-2017 I've noticed that athleisure wear has started to steadily overtake the more hipster look, especially as health & fitness has become a lot more trendy in recent years (particularly, the rise in Instagram fitness models like Jen Selter, Joe Wicks, Priscilla Trindande, etc.). That along with people becoming more health conscious overall.

Also, I didn't know Yoga Pants were invented in Canada :o.Or are you referring to the North American Continent as a whole? ;D

But what I also noticed that it was mostly the lower class areas/chavs that went all in on athleisure. I think it will be associated with lousy dressers soon enough and it could fall out of fashion pretty quickly. It will probably stick around in the early 2020s, but I'm unsure about its enduring popularity. OTOH, it's super comfortable and it looks good, which is a good recipe for it to last a long time.

Thats pretty surprising actually. When the trend started get big in the mid 2010s, it was typically associated with the lazy people that claimed they went to the gym to sort of show off (similar to how it was stereotyped about girls whom wore Juicy Courture Suits in the mid-late 2000s ;D). However, within the last couple of years its become a lot more stylish to be into fitness. Thus, at least where I live in the NYC area, someone who dresses in athleisure wear is now seen as someone associated with up-scale former hipsters who could afford to wear the most stylish brands. Brands like FILA, Champion, Under Armour, Gucci, etc. This also coincided with the rise in popularity of 'Street Fashion' like Supreme & 'Fast Fashion' like Pac Sun.

Just take a look at many famous models & celebrities rocking this new look and you'd see what I mean:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/598a0033be42d699defd2416/598a00ab17bffc79a0b8d2fb/598a01071e5b6cbabc95e44e/1502312788055/gigi-bella-hadid-athleisure.jpg?format=1000w

https://onpointfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/athleisure-outfits-2.png

https://www.clarkandstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Ceta-4.17.17-3-6-copyWhat-I-Wear-To-The-Gym-Athleisure-Staples-Ceta-Walters-Standing.jpeg

https://cdn.cliqueinc.com/cache/posts/194898/celebrity-athleisure-workout-brands-194898-1521776695433-image.700x0c.jpg

https://menshealthindia.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/styles/1200x706/public/befunky-collage-5.jpg?itok=WtJzdAXg

A lot of these photoshoots took place in 2017 & 2018 respectively.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/22/18 at 9:49 am

There's this quote from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athleisure

Athleisure clothing frequently uses accents of brightly-colored fabric against a dark background.
Reports in USA Today and The Wall Street Journal describe the athleisure market as growing, displacing typical workwear styles, and cutting in to sales of jeans, with a market size in 2014 as $35 billion, representing an 8% increase from the previous year. According to one estimate, the athleisure market, including footwear, was $270 billion in 2016, and was estimated to grow by 30% by the year 2020.

Along with this recent article discussing the popular high end brands that celebrities are popularizing:

https://www.whowhatwear.com/celebrity-athleisure-workout-brands/slide2

Just further proof that this trend is definitely a lot more high key & massively popular than it ever was in the mid 2010s.

Written By: ofkx on 09/22/18 at 10:11 am

I thought athleisure was a big 2010s trend? I remember it being really big around 2015/2016 and everyone at my school was wearing Nike and Adidas and stuff.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/22/18 at 10:24 am

I thought athleisure was a big 2010s trend? I remember it being really big around 2015/2016 and everyone at my school was wearing Nike and Adidas and stuff.

I can see it start to rise in around 2016, but not 2015.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/22/18 at 10:48 am

Yeah it's mostly just one poster on this site that repeatedly says that it's happening or about to.

One of the great things about the Internet era is you are no longer tied to the monoculture and genres that have fallen out of mainstream favorability, like pop punk for instance, can still enjoy very vibrant, accessible underground scenes.  This is a great time for European trance for instance but I'm not going to try to say that the genre is as popular as it was in the 90s/early 2000s.

Is it just because that poster likes pop punk?

Written By: John Titor on 09/22/18 at 11:32 am

Um..... No, it should not.

Yep its similar to hows its evolved where I live in the Northeast United States. Athleisure wear started to get big in 2014-2015 with the rise in popularity for Joggers, Yoga Pants, Adidas hoodies, embrace for sneakers outside the common Nike brand like (Adidas, Puma, Under Armour, etc.), low rise track sneakers, etc. It also coincided with the rise in popularity for smartwatches, which allowed people to easily track how many calories they've burned, how many 'steps' they've taken, their BPM at any moment, among other related things.

However, 2014-2015 was the height of the hipster subculture, so that was mainly the thing that people tried to emulate in fashionable & lifestyle sense. Since 2016-2017 I've noticed that athleisure wear has started to steadily overtake the more hipster look, especially as health & fitness has become a lot more trendy in recent years (particularly, the rise in Instagram fitness models like Jen Selter, Joe Wicks, Priscilla Trindande, etc.). That along with people becoming more health conscious overall.

Also, I didn't know Yoga Pants were invented in Canada :o.Or are you referring to the North American Continent as a whole? ;D

Thats pretty surprising actually. When the trend started get big in the mid 2010s, it was typically associated with the lazy people that claimed they went to the gym to sort of show off (similar to how it was stereotyped about girls whom wore Juicy Courture Suits in the mid-late 2000s ;D). However, within the last couple of years its become a lot more stylish to be into fitness. Thus, at least where I live in the NYC area, someone who dresses in athleisure wear is now seen as someone associated with up-scale former hipsters who could afford to wear the most stylish brands. Brands like FILA, Champion, Under Armour, Gucci, etc. This also coincided with the rise in popularity of 'Street Fashion' like Supreme & 'Fast Fashion' like Pac Sun.

Just take a look at many famous models & celebrities rocking this new look and you'd see what I mean:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/598a0033be42d699defd2416/598a00ab17bffc79a0b8d2fb/598a01071e5b6cbabc95e44e/1502312788055/gigi-bella-hadid-athleisure.jpg?format=1000w

https://www.clarkandstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Ceta-4.17.17-3-6-copyWhat-I-Wear-To-The-Gym-Athleisure-Staples-Ceta-Walters-Standing.jpeg

https://cdn.cliqueinc.com/cache/posts/194898/celebrity-athleisure-workout-brands-194898-1521776695433-image.700x0c.jpg

https://menshealthindia.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/styles/1200x706/public/befunky-collage-5.jpg?itok=WtJzdAXg

A lot of these photoshoots took place in 2017 & 2018 respectively.

Gucci is not athleisure and this fit is not, most of the other pics you posted are tho

Written By: John Titor on 09/22/18 at 11:34 am

It is, its on the way out tho,
Things that are big at the moment are:

tinted sunglasses
Gucci Anything
Dad shoes
Off White X Nike
Oversized sweatshirts
Gloss
Luxury Fringe

There are still some signs of Yoga pants & etc, but its few and far between

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/22/18 at 10:25 pm

It is, its on the way out tho,
Things that are big at the moment are:

tinted sunglasses
Gucci Anything
Dad shoes
Off White X Nike
Oversized sweatshirts
Gloss
Luxury Fringe

There are still some signs of Yoga pants & etc, but its few and far between

Those are all certainly big now, with the addition of athleisure. Theres this article from Forbes that suggests that this trend is not dying anytime soon:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andriacheng/2018/02/09/here-are-some-more-signs-athleisure-trend-still-has-legs/#5ddccee633cb

You also have GAP..... Thats right GAP! (more of a reason that the Late 90s/Early 00s nostalgia train is getting big ;D)

GAP just announced their own Athleisure line of clothes coming out this October called Hill City:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/gap-to-launch-hill-city-activewear-line-for-men-similar-to-athleta.html

So I just don't know where you guys are coming from.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/22/18 at 10:32 pm

Heres the video of the GAP CEO discussing the new Hill City line:

rDeCjreOpqU

Written By: John Titor on 09/22/18 at 11:20 pm

Those are all certainly big now, with the addition of athleisure. Theres this article from Forbes that suggests that this trend is not dying anytime soon:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andriacheng/2018/02/09/here-are-some-more-signs-athleisure-trend-still-has-legs/#5ddccee633cb

You also have GAP..... Thats right GAP! (more of a reason that the Late 90s/Early 00s nostalgia train is getting big ;D)

GAP just announced their own Athleisure line of clothes coming out this October called Hill City:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/gap-to-launch-hill-city-activewear-line-for-men-similar-to-athleta.html

So I just don't know where you guys are coming from.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retail-apocalypse-is-renaissance-athleisure-exec-says-2018-6

analysts have speculated that the athleisure trend may be waning, putting pressure on companies like Bandier. Plus, with other apparel ...

The trend is still going, but it is running on fumes, it was a small trend, and like all trends they wane

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/22/18 at 11:26 pm

My take after all this:

Look. I know joggers and sweatshirts and yoga pants has been a thing for a while, but I've never seen so many ADIDAS and Nike clothing in my life. Not even in the 90s. Maybe Houston, the near third largest city in America is getting everything late, but this explosion looks new to me. I have absolutely no desire to see a fitness craze or sports obsession as I couldn't care less about sports, So my interests and desires are not clouding my outlook. I like my boys thicc and I'm Netflix and chill as fck. So when I notice something like this...there's something to it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/22/18 at 11:27 pm

Zeldafan, you know what's up.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/23/18 at 12:05 am

https://www.businessinsider.com/retail-apocalypse-is-renaissance-athleisure-exec-says-2018-6

analysts have speculated that the athleisure trend may be waning, putting pressure on companies like Bandier. Plus, with other apparel ...

The trend is still going, but it is running on fumes, it was a small trend, and like all trends they wane

That's just a vague statement. Thats not taking into account the fact that the industry has grown substantially since 2016 and is only expected to grow more through 2020 (I'd reckon that it would continue through the 2020s).

https://squatwolf.com/blog/athleisure-trend/

Athleisure was $46 billion market is US in 2016, according to data compiled by the market research company The NPD Group, reports CNBC. Globally, the market is expected to reach $350 billion by 2020, in a prediction.

This is based on objective data, so its not just merely my opinion. What I have noticed rise in popularity within the last couple of years has been indicated of a larger societal trend.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/23/18 at 12:26 am

My take after all this:

Look. I know joggers and sweatshirts and yoga pants has been a thing for a while, but I've never seen so many ADIDAS and Nike clothing in my life. Not even in the 90s. Maybe Houston, the near third largest city in America is getting everything late, but this explosion looks new to me. I have absolutely no desire to see a fitness craze or sports obsession as I couldn't care less about sports, So my interests and desires are not clouding my outlook. I like my boys thicc and I'm Netflix and chill as fck. So when I notice something like this...there's something to it.

Zeldafan, you know what's up.

Thanks man, and I agree with you! I'm from the NYC area, so believe me. We're arguably the most fashion-forward region in the country, so if I have noticed that athleisure wear has become a lot more prominent & status quo within the last couple of years, than thats saying something. Ironically, for some of the other users that live in more rural regions, they likely have not actually experienced this sort of 'renaissance' of athleisure wear & street fashion that has been prominent where I live since roughly 2017. Hence why they may be confused. So just to clear things up; we're not just talking about yoga pants, joggers, nor Nike sneakers, all of those has been popular for the entirety of this decade (FWIW though, they haven't seemed to had declined in popularity in the same way that other stereotypical 10s trends have like flannel shirts & Chuck Taylors), but rather the dramatic cultural change associated with those clothing items & new ones, within the Late 2010s. Whether or not this will continue in the 2020s is hard to tell, but the mere fact that this thread was made shows that this trend is becoming so apparent that its becoming inescapable. Similar to the rise in 'hipsterism' back in like 2012-2013.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/23/18 at 12:57 am

To continue my point on the rise of fitness; I also think the popularity of wearable technology, notably smartwatches, coincides with this.

IV2_JPc22g8

With the recent release of the Apple Watch Series 4, which serves as a major redesign to previous Apple Watches, along with other companies getting better with health related technology within the watches, I only expect this trend to continue massively in popularity & sustainably.

Also AR apps will be huge for fitness in the 2020’s. Look at this app which counts points on the iPhone Xs
2zePk6IjWZg

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/23/18 at 12:18 pm

Also AR apps will be huge for fitness in the 2020’s. Look at this app which counts points on the iPhone Xs
2zePk6IjWZg

That's actually very cool :o. Goes to show the massive technological advancements we've seen in the last 20 years. That's another trend thats been big in the Late 2010s (& something I'd expect to continue), the AR/VR bandwagon. The technology is already starting to become very viable to the average consumer.

One headset that looks promising is the Oculus Go

aQcR1q35vMc

Its compact & mobile. A perfect combination, especially with such high end & advanced technology!

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/23/18 at 12:38 pm

Athleisure probably won't be a 2020's thing IMO. If anything, it's probably one of the most quintessential 2010's fashion. I've seen it since like 2015 or 2016. It's nothing new.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/23/18 at 12:45 pm

Athleisure probably won't be a 2020's thing IMO. If anything, it's probably one of the most quintessential 2010's fashion. I've seen it since like 2015 or 2016. It's nothing new.

I agree, except I have seen it a little bit earlier than that (probably as early as late 2014).

I have a feeling that it would die out in around 2021-2022, which is also when I predict that the cultural 2020's will commence.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/23/18 at 1:11 pm

I agree, except I have seen it a little bit earlier than that (probably as early as late 2014).

I have a feeling that it would die out in around 2021-2022, which is also when I predict that the cultural 2020's will commence.

Alright. What do you think could replace athleisure?

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/23/18 at 1:12 pm

No, I do not think that athleisure will be the main style of the 2020s. Sure it may seem to be on popular now, but it's way too early to make predictions of the 2020s, with the exception of 2020 and maybe (early) 2021. I started noticing the trend sometime in the mid 2010s, and by 2016 it was on par with hipster fashion. To be honest I don't think the two are very different. At least not to signify a cultural shift. Both follow a more slim fit, both have that "instagram/snapchat/pretentious" vibe, and both are contributing to the blandness and homogeny of the 2010s. I will admit that as of 2017ish, the athleisure trend has surpassed the hipster style. However, both belong squarely in the 2010s. Here's how I see it:

2019: Hipster fashion is pretty much dead (or at least on life support). Athleisure is still popular though not as much as it was from 2016-2018

2020: Athleisure remains popular, but there are signs of it waning as the year progresses.

2021: Athleisure clearly dying out.

2022: It's no longer "cool" to be into athleisure, but some pockets of people still follow it (at least a more mild version of it)

2023: Athleisure is completely dead, end of story, goodbye, see you later  ;).

Written By: Dundee on 09/23/18 at 2:14 pm

That's actually very cool :o. Goes to show the massive technological advancements we've seen in the last 20 years. That's another trend thats been big in the Late 2010s (& something I'd expect to continue), the AR/VR bandwagon. The technology is already starting to become very viable to the average consumer.

One headset that looks promising is the Oculus Go

aQcR1q35vMc

Its compact & mobile. A perfect combination, especially with such high end & advanced technology!

The VR technology was very hyped up and exciting in the mid-2010s, but as of 2018 the market is very fickle and the sales right now are in a slump. At least it shows it has more longevity that the total novelties that were Google Glasses, but that technology has still some road to make before becoming a consumer staple.

Written By: John Titor on 09/23/18 at 3:14 pm

In reponse to Bill Clinton avy and Athleisure's foot hold

Things like Apple Watch & Spin Classes are still more of a "culture thing" however as far as fashion goes it's waning.
I linked an article to the Business of Fashion touched up this. As far as fashion hardly any runways are incorporating
athleisure in its 2019 runways. Far & few between Runways for 2019 have any hints of it.

Athleisure as a culture :  Yes its still there with new stores popping up and trends like spin cycle
As Fashion :  it's waning, not many runways have it for 2019

As you know stores like h&m & Zara will copy whats on the runways, so if the runways don't have it expect
them to follow suit

Things run in cycles, this whole athleisure thing started in 2014, it peaked somewhere around late 2015- early 2016
as far as fashion goes.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/23/18 at 9:56 pm

The VR technology was very hyped up and exciting in the mid-2010s, but as of 2018 the market is very fickle and the sales right now are in a slump. At least it shows it has more longevity that the total novelties that were Google Glasses, but that technology has still some road to make before becoming a consumer staple.

Well, Oculus Go was released this year and there are rumors about a new Hololens besides more improvements on AR apps. So I think AR/VR still seems the next big thing

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/18 at 9:43 am

We'd have to see. The technology is pretty expensive at the moment, but that doesn't discard the ability for it to become more readily accessible years later. I predict that around 2020, as prices start to fall & more companies start engaging with it that it would become a lot more popular.

Well, Oculus Go was released this year and there are rumors about a new Hololens besides more improvements on AR apps. So I think AR/VR still seems the next big thing

THIS. People are already writing this off. Its pretty premature to say that VR/AR is dead.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/18 at 9:47 am

Also, for everybody in the thread, while I agree that its definitely premature to say that Athleisure is a precursor to trends indicative to be popular in the 2020s, I still think that the trend is noticeably a lot more prevalent now than it was just merely 2-3 years ago. That's mainly because we've been in a new a fitness craze, especially as the economy has improved & many Millennials are now approaching midlife. Thus, people are becoming more health conscious, hence the massive popularity for athleisure in the Late 2010s.

This video was posted this year & further delves into this fashionable/societal phenomenon:

vZ9fuzm5bY8

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/24/18 at 10:02 am

Also, for everybody in the thread, while I agree that its definitely premature to say that Athleisure is a precursor to trends indicative to be popular in the 2020s, I still think that the trend is noticeably a lot more prevalent now than it was just merely 2-3 years ago. That's mainly because we've been in a new a fitness craze, especially as the economy has improved & many Millennials are now approaching midlife. Thus, people are becoming more health conscious, hence the massive popularity for athleisure in the Late 2010s.

This video was posted this year & further delves into this fashionable/societal phenomenon:

vZ9fuzm5bY8

Do you think that it is like the "frosted tips" of this decade (as dumb as it sounds)?

Written By: John Titor on 09/24/18 at 11:30 am

vZ9fuzm5bY8

Athleisure  was trend in fashion that correlated to the new fitness trend of spin cycle, apple watch, just being more healthy in general (whole foods also took off) however there is a difference between  Athleisure lifestyle and Athleisure  fashion.

Athleisure in fashion has been waning since last year, hardly any runways for the 2019 year are incorporating Athleisure in to it's runways.
Dior, Givenchy, Chanel, Off White hardly have any Athleisure influence what so ever. And as you know whatever the runways put out, the stores like H&M & Zara copy, meaning most of the masses will flock to whatever H&m is putting out. If one is not paying attention to the latest runways I can see how someone can assume Athleisure is still thriving.

While the whole Athleisure stores and products seem to have exploded in 2016/2107, that is morely on the culture side, on the fashion side of things its waning very fast. Under Armor recently did a collab with  ASAP rocky to cash in on the whole fitness trend by releasing a Dad shoe sneaker and its going under flack for being disgusting.

https://www.apparelnews.net/news/2017/sep/07/how-many-more-laps-are-left-athleisure-trend/

Written By: exodus08 on 09/24/18 at 12:24 pm

Athleisure has been a thing since the early 2010s.  ???

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/24/18 at 12:32 pm

Athleisure has been a thing since the early 2010s.  ???

I haven't really seen it in 2010-mid 2014. Late 2014 was really the first time it was heard about.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/18 at 2:49 pm

Do you think that it is like the "frosted tips" of this decade (as dumb as it sounds)?

Elaborate on that, just curious.

Athleisure  was trend in fashion that correlated to the new fitness trend of spin cycle, apple watch, just being more healthy in general (whole foods also took off) however there is a difference between  Athleisure lifestyle and Athleisure  fashion.

I agree. There is a big correlation with the rise in Athleisure fashion & people becoming more health conscious.

Athleisure in fashion has been waning since last year, hardly any runways for the 2019 year are incorporating Athleisure in to it's runways.
Dior, Givenchy, Chanel, Off White hardly have any Athleisure influence what so ever. And as you know whatever the runways put out, the stores like H&M & Zara copy, meaning most of the masses will flock to whatever H&m is putting out. If one is not paying attention to the latest runways I can see how someone can assume Athleisure is still thriving.

Thats a good point. Perhaps fashion designers are onto something and perhaps 'something new' is on the horizon. However, even as you admitted to, fashion runaways are not always the best indicators on how the general public consumes their fashion. In many ways, it usually takes months, sometimes years, for the average consumer to maybe adapt their wardrobe to what is popular in magazines & runways.

And even if the fact that most runways don't include any athleisure wear, that doesn't discard the fact that many famous celebrities & models do in fact rock the look in the everyday mundane lives, but of course in a stylish manner.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/pictures/cute-workout-clothes-celebs-love-2011315/

https://i0.wp.com/www.thehifashionsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/athleisure-block-heels.jpg?resize=640%2C853&ssl=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=celebrities+athleisure&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_0fGUs9TdAhXOhOAKHWW0BVsQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=619#imgrc=JgjT5h_GVsK96M:

Thus, the trend still has tons of notoriety & legitimacy.

While the whole Athleisure stores and products seem to have exploded in 2016/2107, that is morely on the culture side, on the fashion side of things its waning very fast.

Perhaps thats the distinction. Granted, I'd beg to differ with Athleisure fashion waning, but even if I grant that the Athleisure culture is most certainly still prevalent. I think that's what the OP was trying to get at, there seems to be a different sort of ambiance now than there was a few years ago. We've been in a new fitness craze for the last year or so, and that's something I could realistically see continue to evolve well into the 2020s, even if our current understanding or view on 'Athleisure' may change by then.

Under Armor recently did a collab with  ASAP rocky to cash in on the whole fitness trend by releasing a Dad shoe sneaker and its going under flack for being disgusting.

Even if the collab was seen as a bit controversial, the mere fact that Under Armor decided to this with a famous rapper just shows that this trend is nowhere near done losing steam.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/18 at 2:50 pm

You also have this article from Oct. 2017, and ironically what was said still holds true in many respects a year later:

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/fashion/shopping/why-the-a-list-love-athleisure-wear-26489

Written By: John Titor on 09/24/18 at 2:57 pm

You also have this article from Oct. 2017, and ironically what was said still holds true in many respects a year later:

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/fashion/shopping/why-the-a-list-love-athleisure-wear-26489

Athleisure as fashion is waning, its not on any of the runways for 2019

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/18 at 3:00 pm

But like I said, runways are not always the best indicators on how the general public adapts to their wardrobes. Also, just the fact that many companies are creating their own fashion lines dedicated to Athleisure reveals this.

Written By: John Titor on 09/24/18 at 3:03 pm

But like I said, runways are not always the best indicators on how the general public adapts to their wardrobes. Also, just the fact that many companies are creating their own fashion lines dedicated to Athleisure reveals this.

Actually it is,  Zara in 2014 was copying the ALL LEATHER, Zippers that Saint Laurent made popular in 2013 by Hedi Slimane.
In 2015 Kanye West came out with YEEZY, and how many Forever 21, H&m stores did you see those ripped shirt beige tan muted grey shirts?
In 2013 Givenchy came out with number and star jerseys, and then how many Forever 21 and h&m stores did you see with numbers and stars.
In 2017 Balenciaga made the dad shoe popular again, how many Dad shoes did you see coming out of Zara & H&m, hell even Gucci is doing their own version
2017 Dior came out with Small frame sunglasses, now how many damn retailers are trying to seel you small frame sunglasses!

Hell in 2005 Dior made the skinny jeans/ Slim fit Suit  a trend that would not blow up until 2008.

Most things that are on the runways get adopted by mass market chains, You need to pay more attention to that because that will give you an idea on how the market  sways. The runways influences the chains more than you think. I could post the before and after pics, but just trust me,  Runways can sometimes be over exaggerated version of the actual items they will sell.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/18 at 3:23 pm

Actually it is,  Zara in 2014 was copying the ALL LEATHER, Zippers that Saint Laurent made popular in 2013 by Hedi Slimane.
In 2015 Kanye West came out with YEEZY, and how many Forever 21, H&m stores did you see those ripped shirt beige tan muted grey shirts?
In 2013 Givenchy came out with number and star jerseys, and then how many Forever 21 and h&m stores did you see with numbers and stars.
In 2017 Balenciaga made the dad shoe popular again, how many Dad shoes did you see coming out of Zara & H&m, hell even Gucci is doing their own version
2017 Dior came out with Small frame sunglasses, now how many damn retailers are trying to seel you small frame sunglasses!

Hell in 2005 Dior made the skinny jeans/ Slim fit Suit a trend that would not blow up until 2008.

Most things that are on the runways get adopted by mass market chains, You need to pay more attention to that because that will give you an idea on how the market  sways. The runways influences the chains more than you think. I could post the before and after pics, but just trust me,  Runways can sometimes be over exaggerated version of the actual items they will sell.

Thanks for proving my point in bold ;D. I am not saying that runways cannot make trends possible. All I am saying is that, depending on the trend & how its received, can vary on when those same trends are popular among the general public. So those examples you gave me were of ones that were popular almost immediately with consumers, and I'm sure I can list you a laundry list of examples of trends that a lot longer for the general public to adapt into.

So its hard to say what this particularly means for athleisure. However, by just going based on data & profit margins for athleisure styled clothing and my own personal experience of seeing athleisure being more prevalent, I just don't see what you mean. Especially since I live in the NYC/Tri-State Area, the most fashion forward region in the country. Heck my little cousin Brooklyn the other day just bought an Adidas Track Suit, & who knows whats in and whats not in fashion/trends better than the current youth?

Written By: John Titor on 09/24/18 at 3:28 pm

Thanks for proving my point in bold ;D. I am not saying that runways cannot make trends possible. All I am saying is that, depending on the trend & how its received, can vary on when those same trends are popular among the general public. So those examples you gave me were of ones that were popular almost immediately with consumers, and I'm sure I can list you a laundry list of examples of trends that a lot longer for the general public to adapt into.

So its hard to say what this particularly means for athleisure. However, by just going based on data & profit margins for athleisure styled clothing and my own personal experience of seeing athleisure being more prevalent, I just don't see. what you mean Especially since I live in the NYC/Tri-State Area, the most fashion forward region in the country. Heck my little cousin Brooklyn the other day just bought an Adidas Track Suit, & who knows whats in and whats not in fashion/trends better than the current youth?

Vogue.com  look up every run way from the last 5 months

Those examples I gave you were hits, but the runway rarely ever has misses, there are some cases, but I am using those to show
you, if the Athleisure is not being supported that much on the runway, that means neither will the mass market stores you shop
at will either, and if Athleisure is not at the mass market stores that means people stop wearing it.

The Dior 2005/slim suit trend was slow because going from Baggy to Slim was a HUGE change and it took a few years.

Written By: ofkx on 09/24/18 at 3:34 pm

You really think runways would have the same trends every year? just cause it's not on the runway doesn't mean it's waning, just means it's not new anymore. Go walk outside and you can tell yourself that it's very much still in right now.

Written By: John Titor on 09/24/18 at 3:44 pm

You really think runways would have the same trends every year? just cause it's not on the runway doesn't mean it's waning, just means it's not new anymore. Go walk outside and you can tell yourself that it's very much still in right now.

... the runways dictate what will be trending

https://www.businessinsider.com/athleisure-is-dying-2017-8

Young Americans may have fallen out of love with yoga pants.
The dominant apparel trend of athleisure seems to have reached its peak in the second quarter of 2017.

Athleisure is the trend of buying athletic apparel for its unique properties — sweat-wicking, stretch, comfort — without necessarily intending to use it to work out.

Written By: xenzue on 09/24/18 at 3:49 pm

I think full blown athleisure will be very out of style by the 2021 or so. It just screams 2010s to me.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/24/18 at 3:56 pm

I don't think there's a "fitness craze" but I do think more people are starting to exercise and go to the gym which is a good thing. I've noticed more people talking about their workouts at the gym, which is something I rarely heard just a few years before. But athleisure is another story. From what I remember, athleisure was at its peak during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 school years. Since the 2017-2018 school year has already happened, I will say that I haven't noticed athleisure being as popular anymore, so it's probably definitely not going to be a 2020's thing.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/25/18 at 8:42 am

I think full blown athleisure will be very out of style by the 2021 or so. It just screams 2010s to me.

I don't know about it 'screaming 2010s'. Its certainly a trend thats associated with the current Late 2010s, thats for sure.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/25/18 at 8:46 am

Interesting article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eshachhabra/2018/09/05/the-new-brand-wants-to-talk-about-the-dirty-secrets-of-athleisure/#20a5e6d07314

It regards the criticism of 'fast fashion', especially in relation to Athleisure. This new brand called Temple Athletic is vowing to avoid chemicals & byproducts like Phthalates & Dimethylfomanamide. This should likely bring out more competition in this space.

Written By: John Titor on 09/25/18 at 11:23 am

Athleisure as fashion is waning  period

Written By: xenzue on 09/25/18 at 3:09 pm

I don't know about it 'screaming 2010s'. Its certainly a trend thats associated with the current Late 2010s, thats for sure.

It's been pretty popular since 2013. It will be seen as the quintessential 2010s look, along with Hipster fashion. I really doubt these looks will carry over far into the 20s, though I think an updated sweatpants style could stay since it's so versatile.

https://beautifour.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/wp-1472988396096.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/25/18 at 3:38 pm

It's been pretty popular since 2013. It will be seen as the quintessential 2010s look, along with Hipster fashion. I really doubt these looks will carry over far into the 20s, though I think an updated sweatpants style could stay since it's so versatile.

I'm not trying to take away from what you're saying because to an extent, I agree with you but...there's a big difference between the people in these pictures/runway models and the average person and most people are average. I notice athleisure is increasing considerably among the average person.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/25/18 at 6:31 pm

2013 ???. I was in high school back then, and I barely remember Athleisure being popular, at least in hows its portrayed today. Athletic/Sports like clothing has always been popular, particularly within hip-hop & jock culture, which of course was prevalent back in the late 2000s/early 2010s. However, the Athleisure trend was certainly not as mainstream as it is today. Back in 2013, many of the former Scene & Emo kids were becoming Hipsters, while all of the Gangstas/Wiggas, Jocks, & Preps were imitating those particular trends. I also noticed a lot of guys my age in the 2013-2014 school year moving away from the skinny jeans of the Late 2000s/Early 2010s to more straight legged jeans & flannel shirts and girls my age starting to rock high waisted jeans/shorts & mom jeans. All of these trends were akin to the 1990s, granted the early-mid 90s. Fashion now seems to be taking a lot of influence from the Late 90s/Early 00s, along with some trends from the 80s surprisingly enough.

Check for new replies or respond here...