inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Star Is Reborn - The Beginning of Lady Gaga's Comeback?

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/26/18 at 7:40 pm

Lady Gaga has had a couple of false comebacks between Artpop and now but maybe A Star is Born is the beginning of her real comeback. I doubt it'll be a comeback as a top 10 artist (unless music changes and accommodates her) but more of a pop culture comeback in general.

Subject: Re: A Star Is Reborn - The Beginning of Lady Gaga's Comeback?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/26/18 at 11:45 pm

Lady Gaga has had a couple of false comeback's between Artpop and now but maybe A Star is Born is the beginning of her real comeback. I doubt it'll be a comeback as a top 10 artist (unless music changes and accommodates her) but more of a pop culture comeback in general.

I think if she can get back to doing club anthems, she could have another really big era.  EDM is still a big thing and I think it could accommodate her.  Maybe a 'Born This Way' style album.  That one was hybrid classic Gaga with some of her more serious side starting to emerge.  I don't think the stuff that's too artsy or serious will go anywhere and if her next album is like her last two, she's done.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/18 at 5:27 am

I'm anxiously awaiting the start of her double-bill tour with Ke$ha.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/18 at 6:25 am

It is now the fourth time "A Star is Born" has been made. Time will only time on the results of the film.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/27/18 at 6:49 am

I think if she can get back to doing club anthems, she could have another really big era.  EDM is still a big thing and I think it could accommodate her.  Maybe a 'Born This Way' style album.  That one was hybrid classic Gaga with some of her more serious side starting to emerge.  I don't think the stuff that's too artsy or serious will go anywhere and if her next album is like her last two, she's done.

The type of EDM she's known for is so different now, tho. Lady Gaga's singing would succeed in shows like The Voice but the Top 100 is more into indie sounding vocals like Halsey, Alessia Cara, Rita Ora, Camila Cabello, etc.

Apparently, this new version of A Star is Born is pretty legit and Lady Gaga is finally doing the acting thing right. Maybe Lady Gaga can find her niche outside of trying to please the younguns.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/27/18 at 12:34 pm

The type of EDM she's known for is so different now, tho. Lady Gaga's singing would succeed in shows like The Voice but the Top 100 is more into indie sounding vocals like Halsey, Alessia Cara, Rita Ora, Camila Cabello, etc.

She can adapt to the changing trends though.  Just compare 80s Madonna vs 90s Madonna. While dance pop is different now than it was in 2009, it's not like it's worlds away. 

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/27/18 at 4:41 pm

She can adapt to the changing trends though.  Just compare 80s Madonna vs 90s Madonna. While dance pop is different now than it was in 2009, it's not like it's worlds away.

True. I'm just afraid she'll try that route and fail hard. It'll be super embarrassing.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/28/18 at 2:01 am

True. I'm just afraid she'll try that route and fail hard. It'll be super embarrassing.

I'm not sure I'm as pessimistic as you are about this.  I think if anybody can manage a pop music comeback it would be Lady Gaga.  She has to do it now though because her era of relevance is just about over.

Written By: xenzue on 09/28/18 at 6:03 pm

Electro pop music is on life support now lol

Written By: John Titor on 09/28/18 at 6:52 pm

Electro pop music is on life support now lol

Electropop BEEN on life support in 2013 lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/10/18 at 8:06 pm

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/lady-gaga-star-is-born-soundtrack-first-week-album-sales-1202976160/

Official figures won’t be announced till Sunday. But if those numbers hold up, it would be the biggest week in pure album sales for the soundtrack to a movie musical since “Frozen” in 2014. A figure over 200,000 would also give “A Star Is Born” easily the best opening tally for any soundtrack in 2018, surpassing another Interscope release that currently holds that title, “Black Panther: The Album.”

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/11/18 at 5:41 am

Does Gaga sing "My Dear Old Swanee" as well as Judy Garland did when she was in ASIB? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/18 at 5:45 am

Does Gaga sing "My Dear Old Swanee" as well as Judy Garland did when she was in ASIB? ???
Looking at the soundtrack for "A Star Is Born" (2018), that song is not featured in the film.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/11/18 at 11:51 am

She has recorded another sountrack for this film which will be released for Christmas.  It includes 20 new dance hits!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/11/18 at 3:14 pm

Looking at the soundtrack for "A Star Is Born" (2018), that song is not featured in the film.

Bummer. They must have decided to forego the “Born in a Trunk” sequence.  :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 10/11/18 at 3:27 pm

I don't think she should sing awful country songs again but I'm not sure she'll be successful with electropop either. She has a really beautiful voice and a talent for singing, so I hope to see more ballads and other types of songs where she shows off her vocals  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/18 at 3:30 pm

I don't think she should sing awful country songs again but I'm not sure she'll be successful with electropop either. She has a really beautiful voice and a talent for singing, so I hope to see more ballads and other types of songs where she shows off her vocals  8)
Remember she sang songs from "The Sound of Music" during an Academy Awards Ceremony in recent years. I was surprised she could adapt very well.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/18 at 5:59 pm

I think right now it could go either way.  Her most popular and beloved songs all the way back to the beginning have been her club anthems and catchy pop songs.  Her popularity really started to decline once she moved away from that.  I would love to see her return to her roots and I think it could be successful.

Written By: John Titor on 10/11/18 at 6:53 pm

shes a legacy act now, pretty much done with music outside of acting and jazz albums

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/18 at 7:34 pm

shes a legacy act now, pretty much done with music outside of acting and jazz albums

I wonder how relevant she is with current 13-25 year olds?  Whether or not she could ever make a comeback in pop music depends on that question.  People my age, who were in our prime clubbing years when she was popular are now approaching middle age.  I still listen to Top 40 but few people my age do.  Most stick to 90s and 2000s music like Generation X stuck with the 70s and 80s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/11/18 at 9:06 pm

I wonder how relevant she is with current 13-25 year olds?  Whether or not she could ever make a comeback in pop music depends on that question.  People my age, who were in our prime clubbing years when she was popular are now approaching middle age.  I still listen to Top 40 but few people my age do.  Most stick to 90s and 2000s music like Generation X stuck with the 70s and 80s.

I thought that most Gen Xers stuck to music from around 1983-1998.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/18 at 11:04 pm

I thought that most Gen Xers stuck to music from around 1983-1998.

I'm thinking more early Gen X, the late '60s-borns.  For the later ones, you are correct.

Check for new replies or respond here...