inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So in 50 years from now what will people remember from 2017 and 2018?

Written By: StrangeShape on 10/15/18 at 12:25 pm

8-P

Subject: Re: So in 50 years from now what will people remember from 2017 and 2018?

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/18 at 12:48 pm

What's with the emoticon  ???

Probably Trump and the rise of fascism will be the most memorable thing about these years. Maybe Brexit, but I'm sure it will be mostly overturned by then by some border-free crypto currency.

Subject: Re: So in 50 years from now what will people remember from 2017 and 2018?

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/15/18 at 1:09 pm

Probably stuff from the 2020s!

Written By: bchris02 on 10/15/18 at 1:21 pm

What's with the emoticon  ???

Probably Trump and the rise of fascism will be the most memorable thing about these years. Maybe Brexit, but I'm sure it will be mostly overturned by then by some border-free crypto currency.

I agree.  And the resurgence of Christian fundamentalism and the religious right.  And all of this is a backlash against the SCOTUS decision to legalize same-sex marriage in 2015 and the perceived decline of Christian culture in the west.

Will be glad when this era is history and hopefully they don't succeed in bringing too much long-term damage to America.  The general zeitgeist right now is that if America cannot be the white fundamentalist God-fearing Christian nation it supposedly was in the 1950s that the entire system should just be burned to the ground.  These are scary times.  I'm worried about both scenarios; what will happen if Republicans remain in power and Trump is re-elected and also what the right-wing response will be to the return of Democratic rule.  It could get very ugly.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/15/18 at 4:05 pm

2017:

Trump's inauguration, decline of the undercut (some even calling it the "Richard Spencer haircut"), "Millennial Pink", Berkeley controversy, the rise of JoJo Siwa, Portland train attack, Crash Bandicoot: The N-Sane Trilogy, fidget spinners, The Emoji Movie, the Charlottesville riots/death of Heather Heyer, decline of hipster culture, rise of neo-hipsters (their fashion includes stuff like aviator eyeglasses), "Gucci Gang", Hurricane Maria, rise of emo rap, It, the Las Vegas shooting, rise of the #MeToo movement, Lil Peep's death, Charles Manson's death, release of the iPhone X, Coco, Fortnite

2018:

The rise of Billie Eilish (not sure if this is 2017, 2018, or both), Fortinite, Tide pods, Stormy Daniels controversy, the Parkland shooting, United States gun violence protests, The cancellation of Portlandia sealing the fate of hipster culture, "Gen Z Yellow", the end of the Traditionalist Worker Party, the demise of Toys 'R' Us, Patrick Little's controversial Senate run in California, the deaths of XXXTentacion and Vinnie Paul, the death of Joe Jackson, Brett Kavanaugh controversy, Kanye West controversy

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/18 at 4:16 pm

2017:

Trump's inauguration, decline of the undercut (some even calling it the "Richard Spencer haircut"), "Millennial Pink", Berkeley controversy, the rise of JoJo Siwa, Portland train attack, Crash Bandicoot: The N-Sane Trilogy, fidget spinners, The Emoji Movie, the Charlottesville riots/death of Heather Heyer, decline of hipster culture, rise of neo-hipsters (their fashion includes stuff like aviator eyeglasses), "Gucci Gang", Hurricane Maria, rise of emo rap, It, the Las Vegas shooting, rise of the #MeToo movement, Lil Peep's death, Charles Manson's death, release of the iPhone X, Coco, Fortnite

2018:

The rise of Billie Eilish (not sure if this is 2017, 2018, or both), Fortinite, Tide pods, Stormy Daniels controversy, the Parkland shooting, United States gun violence protests, The cancellation of Portlandia sealing the fate of hipster culture, "Gen Z Yellow", the end of the Traditionalist Worker Party, the demise of Toys 'R' Us, Patrick Little's controversial Senate run in California, the deaths of XXXTentacion and Vinnie Paul, the death of Joe Jackson, Brett Kavanaugh controversy, Kanye West controversy

In 2067 I doubt people will remember Kanye West or Gen Z yellow, so I tried to keep it to important things ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/15/18 at 4:19 pm

In 2067 I doubt people will remember Kanye West or Gen Z yellow, so I tried to keep it to important things ;D

Is Slowpoke being Slowpoke one of them?

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/18 at 4:29 pm

Is Slowpoke being Slowpoke one of them?

Pokémon will outlive us all.  8)

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/15/18 at 4:44 pm

2017:

2018:

I miss Dimebag.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/15/18 at 5:25 pm

I miss Dimebag.

I like Pantera as well, and I was shocked when I heard about his death.

Written By: John Titor on 10/15/18 at 6:45 pm

2017:

2018:

Billie ellish is not that popping at all lol  She did a show a few weeks ago that only drew 70 people

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/18 at 7:03 pm

Ke$ha and Pitbull.  8)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/15/18 at 8:30 pm

Billie ellish is not that popping at all lol  She did a show a few weeks ago that only drew 70 people

How come she is #180 on Famous Birthdays?

https://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/billie-eilish.html

How come she almost has three million subscribers on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGm_E4ZwYSHV3bcW1pnSeQ

Additionally, how come she has more than 20 million views on her featured video that was uploaded 2 months ago (her most viewed video has 105 million views)?

She's definitely popping up a lot more than Emo Nite.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/15/18 at 8:33 pm

Pokémon will outlive us all.  8)

Pokémon will even outlive the Sun.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 10/15/18 at 11:09 pm

Don't we already have a "Things 2018 will be remembered for" thread?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/16/18 at 2:53 am

2017:

2018:

Highly doubt anyones gonna remember 85% of that. I forgot most of the 2017 things already.

Written By: aja675 on 10/16/18 at 3:19 am

People are gonna assume people were either SJW's or alt-righters, after all, people do assume that everyone in the '60s was a hippie.

Written By: Dundee on 10/16/18 at 3:22 am

SJW's or alt-righters
what does those words even mean lmao

Written By: Howard on 10/16/18 at 8:57 am

Donald Trump
Bill Cosby
Ariana Grande
#MeToo movement

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/18 at 10:39 am

People are gonna assume people were either SJW's or alt-righters, after all, people do assume that everyone in the '60s was a hippie.

I think the alt-right has turned out to be stronger (though I don't like using the term alt-right to describe it because it's mostly the religious, fundamentalist Christian segment of the right-wing that is responsible for the political situation we are in, all because they couldn't accept a SCOTUS ruling).  The true racist alt-right has very little power on it's own.  I consider this to be a revival of the "Moral Majority" that dominated politics in the 1980s.  It's less about race and more about being anti-gay, anti-abortion, hyper-patriotism, nationalism, and enforcing societal norms.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/16/18 at 10:54 am

I think the alt-right has turned out to be stronger (though I don't like using the term alt-right to describe it because it's mostly the religious, fundamentalist Christian segment of the right-wing that is responsible for the political situation we are in, all because they couldn't accept a SCOTUS ruling).  The true racist alt-right has very little power on it's own.  I consider this to be a revival of the "Moral Majority" that dominated politics in the 1980s.  It's less about race and more about being anti-gay, anti-abortion, hyper-patriotism, nationalism, and enforcing societal norms.

When most people think of the term "alt-right", they probably think of:
*White nationalism/White supremacy/Identitarianism
*The "Jewish Problem"/The "Jewish Question" - the alt-right believes in the Zionist Occupied Government conspiracy theory
*Third position ideas (usually involves combining white nationalism and antisemitism with left-wing economics) - the alt-right is very anti-capitalist
*Volkisch paganism (a racist interpretation of neopaganism) - the alt-right hates Christianity because to them, "it is corrupted by Jewish people"
*Love over fringe music genres like NSBM and fashwave
*Holocaust denial - most alt-righters deny the Holocaust

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/11/21 at 1:46 am

Trump starting his first term and maybe fidget spinners.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/21 at 6:48 am

Trump starting his first term and maybe fidget spinners.

or just Trump himself just being a total idiot. ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/11/21 at 9:17 am

Donald Trump
Bill Cosby
Ariana Grande
#MeToo movement

Those, plus mass shootings/school shootings and trap music (mainly Cardi B) and maybe Latin pop ("Despacito" and "Mi Gente").

It may seem like 50 years from now is a long way, but 50 years ago is 1971 which doesn't seem too distant.

Check for new replies or respond here...