inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it safe to say that the hipster is Millennials' defining subculture?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/15/18 at 11:42 pm

When you think about it, hipsters defined Millennial culture.  Even if you weren't a hipster, many of the things you are into are popular because of hipsters.  Craft beer for instance is something that has really caught on among Millennials of all subcultures but it started with the hipster.  There are countless more ways that hipsters have contributed to the overall culture of the Millennial generation in their twenties and also the backlash against it.  Donald Trump for instance is a backlash against the social justice warrior, which has its roots in hipster culture.  It's not surprising that it was Donald Trump's election that sent hipster culture into a tailspin.  Much like the hippies defined the baby boomers in the '60s, I would say the hipster defined Millennials in the '10s.  Would you agree or disagree?

Once again, this doesn't mean that every Millennial is a hipster just not every baby boomer was a hippie. In fact a majority were not.  But, hipsters were driving the culture through most of the '10s.

Subject: Re: Is it safe to say that the hipster is Millennials' defining subculture?

Written By: 2001 on 10/16/18 at 4:48 am

It definitely is!

I think an image of a hipster is the first thing that comes to mind when older people think of "millennials".

Subject: Re: Is it safe to say that the hipster is Millennials' defining subculture?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/16/18 at 7:25 am

I think a better comparison would be that the Hipster Culture of the 2010s was the equivalent to the Grunge Culture of the 1990s. Hippie culture was primarily an Older Boomer trend, something that people born after 1955/1956 were not really apart of. Grunge & Hipsterism on the other hand were prominent for both halves of their particular generations.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/16/18 at 9:38 am

I think a better comparison would be that the Hipster Culture of the 2010s was the equivalent to the Grunge Culture of the 1990s. Hippie culture was primarily an Older Boomer trend, something that people born after 1955/1956 were not really apart of. Grunge & Hipsterism on the other hand were prominent for both halves of their particular generations.

I was actually about to say that.

What are your thoughts of this analyses of both subcultures?

Grunge:
1985-1988: Formation stage; only fringe amounts of people (particularly in Seattle) heard of it
1988-1991: A point where it starts to gain notability, but still not yet a "thing"
1991-1993: The rise of grunge
1993-1994: Peak of grunge (1993 is the peak year of the subculture)
1994-1997: Decline of grunge (it started to decline after Kurt Cobain's death)
April 9, 1997: Death of grunge (Soundgarden breaks up)

Hipster:
1994?-2008: Formation stage; very little have heard of it - the whole "thing" may have dated back to at least 1994 (http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,981219,00.html - it says "hip" but some people, such as Zeynep Arsel and Craig J. Thompson, believe that this is the first time where hipster culture is described)
2008-2011: A point where it starts to gain notability, but still not yet a "thing"
2011-2014: The rise of hipster
2014-2016: The peak of hipster (2015 is the peak year of the subculture)
2016-2018: Decline of hipster (it really started to decline after the 2016 election)
March 22, 2018: Death of hipster (Portlandia ends)

If there are any errors, please correct it.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/16/18 at 9:54 am

When you think about it, hipsters defined Millennial culture.  Even if you weren't a hipster, many of the things you are into are popular because of hipsters.  Craft beer for instance is something that has really caught on among Millennials of all subcultures but it started with the hipster.  There are countless more ways that hipsters have contributed to the overall culture of the Millennial generation in their twenties and also the backlash against it.  Donald Trump for instance is a backlash against the social justice warrior, which has its roots in hipster culture.  It's not surprising that it was Donald Trump's election that sent hipster culture into a tailspin.  Much like the hippies defined the baby boomers in the '60s, I would say the hipster defined Millennials in the '10s.  Would you agree or disagree?

Once again, this doesn't mean that every Millennial is a hipster just not every baby boomer was a hippie. In fact a majority were not.  But, hipsters were driving the culture through most of the '10s.

After the election, most of the hipsters became normal people, but you did have some characters who became either fringe right identitarian nutbars or fringe left #Resist nutbars.

Written By: John Titor on 10/16/18 at 11:28 am

Thats for true, but Grunge was much shorter lived than hipster,  It started in 1988 underground, we in the USA didn't see it til like 91/92 lasted all the way until late 96 ( whenever that Simpsons episode of Lisa and Bart mocking Grunge Gen X)

C2QrWzsfghA
Even tho Cobain died the grunge era (fonts,fashion,Commercials) still continued into 1996
Few months later in the USA Spice Girls took over and it was a wrap for the grunge era

As for Hispter, it started in 2006 slowly, started getting big in late 2008 with American Apparel stores  and started becoming dominant every year until
2011 where it became standard and peaked in 2015 until around 2017 when it faded off slowly (its still fading off at the moment)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/16/18 at 11:58 am

Thats for true, but Grunge was much shorter lived than hipster,  It started in 1988 underground, we in the USA didn't see it til like 91/92 lasted all the way until late 96 ( whenever that Simpsons episode of Lisa and Bart mocking Grunge Gen X)

C2QrWzsfghA
Even tho Cobain died the grunge era (fonts,fashion,Commercials) still continued into 1996
Few months later in the USA Spice Girls took over and it was a wrap for the grunge era

As for Hispter, it started in 2006 slowly, started getting big in late 2008 with American Apparel stores  and started becoming dominant every year until
2011 where it became standard and peaked in 2015 until around 2017 when it faded off slowly (its still fading off at the moment)

How could hipster not peak in any year other than 2015?

When I think of that year, I immediately think of a guy wearing the stereotypical hipster fashion going to Whole Foods.

Written By: wixness on 10/16/18 at 12:20 pm

When you think about it, hipsters defined Millennial culture.  Even if you weren't a hipster, many of the things you are into are popular because of hipsters.  Craft beer for instance is something that has really caught on among Millennials of all subcultures but it started with the hipster.  There are countless more ways that hipsters have contributed to the overall culture of the Millennial generation in their twenties and also the backlash against it. 

I'd say flat whites and maybe pumpkin spice lattes as well, but I don't really know and don't really care to find out.

Donald Trump for instance is a backlash against the social justice warrior, which has its roots in hipster culture.

If this is true, it would better explain the gendered hipster fashion that came long before he got elected IMO. But hipsters IMO are also about finding obscure stuff for the sake of them being obscure, and are also big on ethical living. I bet the hipsters would be the SJWs themselves; then again, I live in a liberal and hipster-y area.

It's not surprising that it was Donald Trump's election that sent hipster culture into a tailspin. Much like the hippies defined the baby boomers in the '60s, I would say the hipster defined Millennials in the '10s.  Would you agree or disagree?

I would agree that hipsters shaped culture of the 2010s because of the gendered fashion (previously dominated by the more androgynous and youth-oritened pop-punk) and the bland and incoherent music that tried to not sound manufactured and predictable. I'm not so sure about the politics though - I think hipsters would be more supportive of Obama over Trump.

But, hipsters were driving the culture through most of the '10s.

That is a sad fact for me.

Written By: exodus08 on 10/16/18 at 12:46 pm

The thing is I'm a Millennial ('90) and I'm not a hipster. My sister who was born in '85 says shes not a Millennial but she loves Avacado on toast.  8-P

Written By: annimal on 10/16/18 at 2:05 pm

avocado's?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/16/18 at 2:09 pm

The thing is I'm a Millennial ('90) and I'm not a hipster. My sister who was born in '85 says shes not a Millennial but she loves Avacado on toast.  8-P

I consider myself a Millennial (I was born in '99) but I think that avocado toast is a much better option than tide pods.

I'm probably too young to be called a Millennial though, as the cutoff seems to be either 1995 or 1996 these days.

Written By: annimal on 10/16/18 at 2:14 pm

you know I think I'm getting too hungry for lunch    later

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 10/16/18 at 3:22 pm

I consider myself a Millennial (I was born in '99) but I think that avocado toast is a much better option than tide pods.

I'm probably too young to be called a Millennial though, as the cutoff seems to be either 1995 or 1996 these days.

'80s babies = Avocado Toast
'90s Babies = Clorox Bleach
'00s Babies = Tide Pods

Change my mind  :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: exodus08 on 10/16/18 at 3:36 pm

'50s '60s '70s babies = Crack Cocaine.

Written By: John Titor on 10/16/18 at 3:43 pm

How could hipster not peak in any year other than 2015?

When I think of that year, I immediately think of a guy wearing the stereotypical hipster fashion going to Whole Foods.

2015 was the year someone I was dating kept bringing me to wholefoods CRINGE! lol
But back to the grunge topic I would say yeah your right about the grunge assessment, When the Simpsons
is making front of you (which was prob made around 95) aired late 96 you know its only going down and it did.
I remember late 96 there were small flashes of pop coming around, people were less depressed in 96 as well.

By 1997 it was over, the only thing that lingered was the flannel over the waist, but other than that we were glad to be out of that era.
this commercial from pepsi cemented Generation X was over Its basically highlighting the arrival of GEN Y

lnuCDXMoZd4

^  it was this commercial (not just their single debut) that solidified that 1997 was the new y2k  era. I remember this commercial
would always air during prime time Simpsons or during the real world on MTV. Shows that catered to the youth.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/16/18 at 11:32 pm

Does she consider herself Gen Y tho. That term has died out as the years go on.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/17/18 at 1:00 am

No

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/17/18 at 8:07 am

'50s '60s '70s babies = Crack Cocaine.

40's and 50's babies = Weed
60's babies = Crack cocaine
70's babies = Heroin

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/17/18 at 8:12 am

40's and 50's babies = Weed
60's babies = Crack cocaine
70's babies = Heroin

80's babies = Shrooms

90s babies = Acid

00s babies (at least from the few early 00s babies I know) = Xanax

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/17/18 at 8:43 am

80's babies = Shrooms

90s babies = Acid

80's babies = Meth, Painkillers

90's babies = Weed, Molly

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/17/18 at 8:51 am

Being a hipster myself, I'd like to think I am single-handedly redefining not only culture but the entire world.  So, yes.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/17/18 at 9:01 am

Being a hipster myself, I'd like to think I am single-handedly redefining not only culture but the entire world.  So, yes.

You are the culture of the universe.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/17/18 at 9:02 am

You are the culture of the universe.

Finally getting the credit I deserve.  Thank you T-bone.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 10/17/18 at 10:11 am

80's babies = Shrooms

90s babies = Acid

Funny you say that. I remember last year someone in my class was bragging about how they took xanax right before class.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/17/18 at 10:46 am

80's babies = Shrooms

90s babies = Acid

Naw. 80s babies = Amphetamines

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/17/18 at 10:48 am

Funny you say that. I remember last year someone in my class was bragging about how they took xanax right before class.  ;D

Ugh. Xanax made me feel so fking weird when I was in the hospital. No thanks.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/17/18 at 11:21 am

Finally getting the credit I deserve.  Thank you T-bone.

No problem, Sir William Fancyson.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/17/18 at 11:23 am

2015 was the year someone I was dating kept bringing me to wholefoods CRINGE! lol
But back to the grunge topic I would say yeah your right about the grunge assessment, When the Simpsons
is making front of you (which was prob made around 95) aired late 96 you know its only going down and it did.
I remember late 96 there were small flashes of pop coming around, people were less depressed in 96 as well.

By 1997 it was over, the only thing that lingered was the flannel over the waist, but other than that we were glad to be out of that era.
this commercial from pepsi cemented Generation X was over Its basically highlighting the arrival of GEN Y

lnuCDXMoZd4

^  it was this commercial (not just their single debut) that solidified that 1997 was the new y2k  era. I remember this commercial
would always air during prime time Simpsons or during the real world on MTV. Shows that catered to the youth.

Ironically, all of the Spice Girls were Gen X.

Written By: John Titor on 10/17/18 at 12:20 pm

Ironically, all of the Spice Girls were Gen X.

I know right !  When I saw this as it aired I knew what they were saying that "we were in the generation Next"
I loved it and 97 was my favorite 90's year because of this change.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/17/18 at 1:05 pm

I know right !  When I saw this as it aired I knew what they were saying that "we were in the generation Next"
I loved it and 97 was my favorite 90's year because of this change.

Do you remember the exact month this commercial was taped (if you don't mind me asking)?

Written By: John Titor on 10/17/18 at 2:13 pm

Do you remember the exact month this commercial was taped (if you don't mind me asking)?

Around late October 1997- November 1997 it aired on tv

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/34908.stm

So taping date was prob summer 1997

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/17/18 at 2:15 pm

Around late October 1997- November 1997 it aired on tv

So taping date was prob summer 1997

I was in this commercial!  So I remember. It was August 20

Written By: Howard on 10/17/18 at 2:54 pm

80's babies = Shrooms

90s babies = Acid

2010's babies: weed

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/17/18 at 3:34 pm

I really want to write a post-mortem encyclopedic article about hipsterism. I even have my opener ready to go.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/17/18 at 4:01 pm

80's babies = Meth, Painkillers

90's babies = Weed, Molly

Here's another funny (but totally relatable) decade chart; what was the stereotypical thing that the youth did when they were high on drugs (in particular, weed):

40s & 50s babies: Listening to Psychedelic or Folk Music, aka 'Puffing the Magic Dragon'

Y7lmAc3LKWM

60s babies: Listening to angsty Punk Rock or Swinging to Disco, aka 'I wanna get Sedated'

bm51ihfi1p4

70s babies: Watching Beavis & Butthead or jamming out to MTV

OQUaguZawJQ5umKFvg0r44

80s babies: Watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Weird Al Videos

d-6k_NHP0IIZcJjMnHoIBI

90s babies: Watching Rick & Morty or Listening to Vaporwave

EAf9Is_b00UaQkPcPqTq4M

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/17/18 at 9:34 pm

No
Dang at one point 1985 was the perfect millenal age since they were born the year the NES, Back to the Future and Yo MTV raps. 85 borns would be old enough to experience the entre 90s from memory but young enough to have enjoyed the major 90s kid fads. I think Generation Y should be used more often by the media because it's obvious that 85 borns aren't gen xers but they don't confirm to a lot of millennial sterotypes either. 85 borns were well in their 20s when social media, smartphones and hipster culture broke into the mainstream.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/18/18 at 8:52 am

Dang at one point 1985 was the perfect millenal age since they were born the year the NES, Back to the Future and Yo MTV raps. 85 borns would be old enough to experience the entre 90s from memory but young enough to have enjoyed the major 90s kid fads. I think Generation Y should be used more often by the media because it's obvious that 85 borns aren't gen xers but they don't confirm to a lot of millennial sterotypes either. 85 borns were well in their 20s when social media, smartphones and hipster culture broke into the mainstream.

I would say that the most stereotypical Millennial birthyears nowadays are 1988-1993. These were probably the ones who got into emo, all of these people were in elementary school when the Columbine shooting took place, I have a feeling that these are the people who got involved with Occupy Wall Street the most, and I think that it is the main "Obamamania" cohort.

Yo MTV Raps came out in 1988, not 1985.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/18/18 at 11:15 am

Here's another funny (but totally relatable) decade chart; what was the stereotypical thing that the youth did when they were high on drugs (in particular, weed):

40s & 50s babies: Listening to Psychedelic or Folk Music, aka 'Puffing the Magic Dragon'

Y7lmAc3LKWM

60s babies: Listening to angsty Punk Rock or Swinging to Disco, aka 'I wanna get Sedated'

bm51ihfi1p4

OQUaguZawJQ5umKFvg0r44

d-6k_NHP0IIZcJjMnHoIBI

EAf9Is_b00UaQkPcPqTq4M

Vaporwave is more of a late 90's/early 2000's born thing in my opinion. I'd change that to EDM if you ask me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/18/18 at 11:20 am

I would say that the most stereotypical Millennial birthyears nowadays are 1988-1993. These were probably the ones who got into emo, all of these people were in elementary school when the Columbine shooting took place, I have a feeling that these are the people who got involved with Occupy Wall Street the most, and I think that it is the main "Obamamania" cohort.

Yo MTV Raps came out in 1988, not 1985.

I agree, with the exception of that in bold. I feel that was a movement that was most prevalent among strictly (at least for the most part) with 80s babies, those born in 1985-1989/1990 in particular. Essentially, anybody who had graduated from college during the 'peak' of the recession & the post recession years from 2007-2012. Those born from 1991-1993 were certainly in HS/College during all of this and were impacted, but nowhere near the same level of dire impact as those born in the mid-late 80s. Heck those born in 86'-88' arguably experienced the brunt of it as they were just entering the prime workforce in 2008 circa the Financial Crisis of that year. Many had to completely evaluate their careers, go back into schooling for master's degrees, & or improvise on ways to put food on the table.

Thus, many of the Occupy Protestors were primarily post college age back in like 2011, whom were dissatisfied by how our govt. handled the pace of the recovery of the recession and the bailouts to major corporations & industries. Those born from 1991-1993 were just as much impacted as the recession as those born from 1994-1996, they were certainly affected by it from a psychological level as they were old enough to fully understand the impact of it. Heck, most early-mid 90s babies were already in the workforce in the early 2010s & understood that times were relatively tough. However, as you can see, most early & mid 90s babies have had substantially better opportunities post recession to mediate the damage of what the post recession economy could've inflicted on them. The economy also has steadily improved since around 2013/2014, around the time when 1991-1996 babies were entering/graduating from college. Now in 2018, most 90s babies are now firmly within the workforce & thus had a less rocky start to their careers than 80s babies did.

Theres actually an article that discusses this in great detail:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/news/economy/1980s-millennials-great-recession-study/index.html

Its one of the many reasons why (in many ways) I was fortunate enough to not have been much older during the recession. Like if I was born in 86' instead of 96', I've always wondered how dramatically different my life in my early 20s would've been. Also, where exactly in my life I would be in right now due to the amount of opportunities that were shattered because of the crash.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/18/18 at 12:24 pm

Y7lmAc3LKWM

bm51ihfi1p4

OQUaguZawJQ5umKFvg0r44

d-6k_NHP0IIZcJjMnHoIBI

EAf9Is_b00UaQkPcPqTq4M

Ironically, "I Wanna be Sedated" by the Ramones was featured on the first episode ("Give Blood", aired March 8, 1993) of Beavis and Butthead.

Check for new replies or respond here...