inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How the internet will change nostalgia

Written By: goodbants on 10/30/18 at 4:02 am

I feel like nostalgia will take on a whole new breed in the future. So far, we haven't had much time to be nostalgic about a social media, connected society. Sure, there is some internet culture to be nostalgic about in the 2000s like MySpace, but not nearly to the same extent. With us being so connected I feel like I share the same experiences with my generation in a way that previous generations can't relate to.

For perspective, I was born in 1998. I've seen internet culture shift and change so rapidly. I remember watching videos such as Charlie the Unicorn and other classics when I was ten years old. I hopped on board youtube culture right before it was catapulted into the mainstream and youtubers were becoming actual celebrities. As the nerd I am, I live and breathe internet culture.

I don't know if it is just me, but I feel a sort of kinship to my generation in a way that I don't think would be possible without the internet. Hell, we analyze it to death on this site in a way that didn't happen even ten years ago. I was looking back at threads from 2004 and they don't get nearly as specific or really care that much about this whole generation thing. Most of the threads just talk about relevant movies and celebrities.

If you really think about the way social media operates, the most popular posts, the posts that resonate with millions of young people, get catapulted into the limelight. We share the same feelings and sentiments through memes in a way that might seem silly now. Give it a few years, though, and that's what my generation will truly be nostalgic for. We have inside jokes like no other generation before us and I think that's beautiful.

Subject: Re: How the internet will change nostalgia

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/18 at 6:17 am

I'm nostalgic about the old Yahoo! Message Boards.  :)

And MySpace Classic.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/30/18 at 6:22 am

To me, personally, nostalgia has to be very special, and rare.

I'm nostalgic for things pre-1998/1999. I guess the 20 year cycle rule applies to me. I am, however, starting to see 2005 as 'awhile ago'.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 11:58 pm

It’s already hard enough to know what websites people were using from 1997 to now. Movie makers definitely won’t be able to keep up with what they were doing as children on the World Wide Web as this century comes to a close.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 3:29 am

Nostalgia comes from memory of personal experiences and enjoyments from the past. On the World Wide Web more than the Internet, those key factors to the memory can assist the memory to be made available every day, and the memory take is for granted, and the nostalgic feeling is lost.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/01/18 at 8:16 pm

I feel like nostalgia will take on a whole new breed in the future. So far, we haven't had much time to be nostalgic about a social media, connected society. Sure, there is some internet culture to be nostalgic about in the 2000s like MySpace, but not nearly to the same extent. With us being so connected I feel like I share the same experiences with my generation in a way that previous generations can't relate to.

For perspective, I was born in 1998. I've seen internet culture shift and change so rapidly. I remember watching videos such as Charlie the Unicorn and other classics when I was ten years old. I hopped on board youtube culture right before it was catapulted into the mainstream and youtubers were becoming actual celebrities. As the nerd I am, I live and breathe internet culture.

I don't know if it is just me, but I feel a sort of kinship to my generation in a way that I don't think would be possible without the internet. Hell, we analyze it to death on this site in a way that didn't happen even ten years ago. I was looking back at threads from 2004 and they don't get nearly as specific or really care that much about this whole generation thing. Most of the threads just talk about relevant movies and celebrities.

If you really think about the way social media operates, the most popular posts, the posts that resonate with millions of young people, get catapulted into the limelight. We share the same feelings and sentiments through memes in a way that might seem silly now. Give it a few years, though, and that's what my generation will truly be nostalgic for. We have inside jokes like no other generation before us and I think that's beautiful.

You say all this like it's a good thing. In my opinion these are some of the things that I really hate about this decade. Internet culture has really dumbed down society, to the point where you can't have a normal conversation with someone without them referencing some stupid meme. Social media has not really offered any real substance. All this Instagram and Snapchat garbage is only contributing to the bland, homogeneous culture of this decade. "We share the same feelings and sentiments through memes in a way that might seem silly now". IT IS SILLY. That is a fact. All this vapid, trying to be a quirky/pseudo-nerd (most people who claim to be nerds are usually NOT nerds at all) crap holds NO weight.  The whole quirky/nerdy archetype of this decade will age as poorly as the 00s Myspace emos. Heck it'll probably age worse. I wasn't a huge fan of the emos, but at least they were contributing something, and I could at least understand why some people were into it. What's going on now is just sheer vapidness and stupidity.

Written By: duenas8 on 11/02/18 at 8:34 pm

looking back at threads from 2004 and they don't get nearly as specific or really care that much about this whole generation thing. Most of the threads just talk about relevant movies and celebrities.

That’s true. Maybe because there weren’t too many celebrity websites (even less social networks), so they’re only choice were forums to talk about those topics

Written By: goodbants on 11/03/18 at 8:57 am

You say all this like it's a good thing. In my opinion these are some of the things that I really hate about this decade. Internet culture has really dumbed down society, to the point where you can't have a normal conversation with someone without them referencing some stupid meme. Social media has not really offered any real substance. All this Instagram and Snapchat garbage is only contributing to the bland, homogeneous culture of this decade. "We share the same feelings and sentiments through memes in a way that might seem silly now". IT IS SILLY. That is a fact. All this vapid, trying to be a quirky/pseudo-nerd (most people who claim to be nerds are usually NOT nerds at all) crap holds NO weight.  The whole quirky/nerdy archetype of this decade will age as poorly as the 00s Myspace emos. Heck it'll probably age worse. I wasn't a huge fan of the emos, but at least they were contributing something, and I could at least understand why some people were into it. What's going on now is just sheer vapidness and stupidity.

Lol "the anti 2010s guy" on your profile explains it. I'm sorry, I just don't hate my generation's culture. I like memes, I think they're funny and harmless and you saying that makes you sound kind of like a grumpy old man to me. I also like myspace emo culture but I was too young to really experience it. Sure there is a lot of garbage. It's the internet, what do you expect? But some comedy is gold and I think we will miss it in the future.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 11/03/18 at 9:26 am

I agree that the 2010s are pretty bland but I don't think the internet is that bad thats probably one of the coolest things about the 2010s and to me there's not many cool thing about the 2010s.I definentley like the 00s slot more than the 10s and always have but the 2010s aren't like the worst ever there just not as cool and not a lot of progress like the 90s and 00s that leads me to think the 2020s will have way more progression! But yeah the 2010s aren't my favorite decade either but the internet is probably not the main cause.

Written By: goodbants on 11/03/18 at 9:35 am

I agree that the 2010s are pretty bland but I don't think the internet is that bad thats probably one of the coolest things about the 2010s and to me there's not many cool thing about the 2010s.I definentley like the 00s slot more than the 10s and always have but the 2010s aren't like the worst ever there just not as cool and not a lot of progress like the 90s and 00s that leads me to think the 2020s will have way more progression! But yeah the 2010s aren't my favorite decade either but the internet is probably not the main cause.

I agree I think internet culture is great and it's good to appreciate what is good about the 2010s. After all, it's the decade I've grown up in whether I like it or not so I might as well make the most of what it's brought to the table. My favorite part of it was the YouTube culture around 2013. I watched Dan and Phil, Tyler Oakley, Jenna Marbles, Rhett and Link, a lot of good creators around that time.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/03/18 at 1:30 pm

There's nostalgia for anything.

Written By: Hotwheels on 11/07/18 at 5:51 am

@ Musicguy93: I happen to be emo myself. I didn't like emos either when the fad reached its peak, but then I developed depression when I was a Freshman in HS, and that was when I realized I was BORN to be emo...

I've been in love with the emo style since 2011 'cause there's a lot you can do with it, and hair in the face is aesthetically pleasing. (In my opinion at least) Ironically, I was a hipster before I turned emo. It's ironic because it's typically the other way around for most people... Bandwagon-riding normies who copy celebs, I should say...

But anyway, I agree that Instagram and Snapchat are overrated, as well as Facebook and especially MySpace... All those sites are really good for is just looking at half-naked pics. I remember back when MySpace was still all the hype...

I remember back in 2008, my friends literally forced me to make an account. If you didn't have a MySpace account in the Mid - Late 00's, then something was wrong with you, apparently. I signed up and I STILL didn't get what was so great about MySpace. I thought it was lame.

Sure enough, MySpace died a couple years later and everyone migrated to Facebook. As nostalgic as I am for the 00's, I still don't understand what all the hype was about.

And thank you for bringing up the cringey hipster nerd fad... No other group of people ticks me off more than hipsters. What really grinds my gears about 'em is that despite NOT being nostalgic, they force themselves to love vintage, but ONLY if it's nerdy and relevant to the current style.

That's why you'll never find a hipster in a pair of vintage JNCOs with a vintage Hilfiger shirt and a mullet, for instance. They're fake. The REAL hipsters are the wrong-generation types. And when you see one, they're WAY different from those stereotypical, trendy NORMIE hipsters...

With their sissy man-bun, stupid oversized dork glasses that are so big you could land a freakin' plane on 'em, a beard that screams Drake-wannabe, a blazer over a graphic t-shirt, skinny jeans with the pant legs rolled up like Steve Urkel, topped off with boat shoes or some hideous neon running shoes as casual shoes...

In 2010, you would get roasted for half the stuff that's in style these days... Hipsters dress like they belong in a senior home. 99% of hipsters at this point are just SJW hippies, trendy tools, corny 'beard gang' dudes and celebrity-wannabes trying to be relevant.

Hipsters are fake sheeple blindly following the leader, always bandwagon-riding the latest sub-culture until it's completely ruined by morons. It happened with punk, gangster, emo and now the hipster subculture.

I was a cringey hipster myself, but the normies took it the next level of cringe... A level of cringe I never would've imagined 7 years ago... Like come on. All they stand for is NOT being cool. The small, ugly cars they drive is even a reflection of that.

Cars can be a reflection of the current style and the current youth's attitude. For instance, when the average American sees a long, boxy police car or a taxi cab from the 70's, they're reminded of the funky style & attitude of that decade. And cool people TODAY reach back mostly in the 70's & 80's when they want something to look fly in. Unlike the vast majority of today's cars that are too ugly to be tricked out.

What more can I say? The 2010's as a whole is lame, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I haven't even covered all the important details. For all you folks who think this decade is superior to the 00's, I'm telling you, there are so many things about the 2010's that NEED TO BE ROASTED. The 2010's as a whole is pure cancer.

Written By: John Titor on 11/07/18 at 11:33 am

Myspaces hype from 04- somewhere in 2009  was that it was many peoples first social media, the united states mostly.
It was a phenomenon, pop punk & emo/ Myspace culture were synonymous with each other  much like Seattle & Grunge.
Do you know how many times the word Myspace was named dropped in a song during that time. Do you know how many times
the word myspace is name dropped in a movie  from 2005-2008. There is a reason for this.

The 2010s  2012- 2016 ish  deserve to be roasted its CRINGE, there is already a backlash towards hipsters growing in California.
This girl at a coffee shop had Mumford & sons on and I almost threwup.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/08/18 at 10:52 pm

@ Musicguy93: I happen to be emo myself. I didn't like emos either when the fad reached its peak, but then I developed depression when I was a Freshman in HS, and that was when I realized I was BORN to be emo...

I've been in love with the emo style since 2011 'cause there's a lot you can do with it, and hair in the face is aesthetically pleasing. (In my opinion at least) Ironically, I was a hipster before I turned emo. It's ironic because it's typically the other way around for most people... Bandwagon-riding normies who copy celebs, I should say...

But anyway, I agree that Instagram and Snapchat are overrated, as well as Facebook and especially MySpace... All those sites are really good for is just looking at half-naked pics. I remember back when MySpace was still all the hype...

I remember back in 2008, my friends literally forced me to make an account. If you didn't have a MySpace account in the Mid - Late 00's, then something was wrong with you, apparently. I signed up and I STILL didn't get what was so great about MySpace. I thought it was lame.

Sure enough, MySpace died a couple years later and everyone migrated to Facebook. As nostalgic as I am for the 00's, I still don't understand what all the hype was about.

And thank you for bringing up the cringey hipster nerd fad... No other group of people ticks me off more than hipsters. What really grinds my gears about 'em is that despite NOT being nostalgic, they force themselves to love vintage, but ONLY if it's nerdy and relevant to the current style.

That's why you'll never find a hipster in a pair of vintage JNCOs with a vintage Hilfiger shirt and a mullet, for instance. They're fake. The REAL hipsters are the wrong-generation types. And when you see one, they're WAY different from those stereotypical, trendy NORMIE hipsters...

With their sissy man-bun, stupid oversized dork glasses that are so big you could land a freakin' plane on 'em, a beard that screams Drake-wannabe, a blazer over a graphic t-shirt, skinny jeans with the pant legs rolled up like Steve Urkel, topped off with boat shoes or some hideous neon running shoes as casual shoes...

In 2010, you would get roasted for half the stuff that's in style these days... Hipsters dress like they belong in a senior home. 99% of hipsters at this point are just SJW hippies, trendy tools, corny 'beard gang' dudes and celebrity-wannabes trying to be relevant.

Hipsters are fake sheeple blindly following the leader, always bandwagon-riding the latest sub-culture until it's completely ruined by morons. It happened with punk, gangster, emo and now the hipster subculture.

I was a cringey hipster myself, but the normies took it the next level of cringe... A level of cringe I never would've imagined 7 years ago... Like come on. All they stand for is NOT being cool. The small, ugly cars they drive is even a reflection of that.

Cars can be a reflection of the current style and the current youth's attitude. For instance, when the average American sees a long, boxy police car or a taxi cab from the 70's, they're reminded of the funky style & attitude of that decade. And cool people TODAY reach back mostly in the 70's & 80's when they want something to look fly in. Unlike the vast majority of today's cars that are too ugly to be tricked out.

What more can I say? The 2010's as a whole is lame, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I haven't even covered all the important details. For all you folks who think this decade is superior to the 00's, I'm telling you, there are so many things about the 2010's that NEED TO BE ROASTED. The 2010's as a whole is pure cancer.

::)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/09/18 at 9:07 am

Myspaces hype from 04- somewhere in 2009  was that it was many peoples first social media, the united states mostly.
It was a phenomenon, pop punk & emo/ Myspace culture were synonymous with each other  much like Seattle & Grunge.
Do you know how many times the word Myspace was named dropped in a song during that time. Do you know how many times
the word myspace is name dropped in a movie  from 2005-2008. There is a reason for this.

The 2010s  2012- 2016 ish  deserve to be roasted its CRINGE, there is already a backlash towards hipsters growing in California.
This girl at a coffee shop had Mumford & sons on and I almost threwup.
There was a rap song called myspace freak by c-lite and Jazzle Phazzle back in 2007. That's just to let you know how serious myspace was in the 2nd half of the 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...