inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/03/18 at 5:52 pm

So a few days ago, I took a look at the billboard 100 and I couldn't believe that the #1 song so far is Maroon 5's "Girls Like You" with Cardi B with the rest either being the dreadful trap or some other BS. It sucks how there are only some decent tracks coming from Ella Mai, Khalid, Bazzi, Drake, Ariana Grande, and a few others on the chart. The billboard 100 can be so much better right now by having new refreshing artists and changing the music scene instantly.

So, I have a question to ask. Does anyone think the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga could be on her way sometime in the next year? I have a feeling this will be possible considering Britney rose to the top in 1999 and Gaga did the same in 2009. In addition, is there any potential candidates who could take the industry by storm in a short time as Britney and Gaga did? We are definitely due for another musical change in the mainstream. 

Subject: Re: The next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga

Written By: mc98 on 11/03/18 at 7:05 pm

Billie Eilish is becoming popular.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/03/18 at 7:20 pm

It's definitely popping up more than Emo Nite, that's for sure.

And I was about to say her name.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:28 pm

So a few days ago, I took a look at the billboard 100 and I couldn't believe that the #1 song so far is Maroon 5's "Girls Like You" with Cardi B with the rest either being the dreadful trap or some other BS. It sucks how there are only some decent tracks coming from Ella Mai, Khalid, Bazzi, Drake, Ariana Grande, and a few others on the chart. The billboard 100 can be so much better right now by having new refreshing artists and changing the music scene instantly.

So, I have a question to ask. Does anyone think the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga could be on her way sometime in the next year? I have a feeling this will be possible considering Britney rose to the top in 1999 and Gaga did the same in 2009. In addition, is there any potential candidates who could take the industry by storm in a short time as Britney and Gaga did? We are definitely due for another musical change in the mainstream.

Hit be baby one more time came out in 1998

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/03/18 at 7:29 pm

Hit be baby one more time came out in 1998

She may have had that song released in 1998, but she wasn't really a thing until 1999.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:29 pm

shes not that popular, was watching a video of her performing at a small venue and it looked 59% full
Streaming views as well as facebook likes can be purchased on Like 4 like websites creating the illusion
someone is more popular then they are.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:32 pm

She may have had that song released in 1998, but she wasn't really a thing until 1999.

Nah she was a thing those last 2 months of 1998, her video was 1# on TRL everyday, it was all over the radio
she was huge out of the gate

The thing is she was doing mall tours in December 1997- August 1998 to build a fanbase

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/03/18 at 7:32 pm

shes not that popular, was watching a video of her performing at a small venue and it looked 59% full
Streaming views as well as facebook likes can be purchased on Like 4 like websites creating the illusion
someone is more popular then they are.

Billie Eilish is bigger than Emo Nite. For sure.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:34 pm

Billie Eilish is bigger than Emo Nite. For sure.

I hear more about Emo Nite than Billie Eilish tbh.

She seems more like a 1 hit wonder but she has no hits on the chart lol

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/03/18 at 7:42 pm

JoJo Siwa?

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:47 pm

JoJo Siwa?

3 people are being groomed at the moment
no one has heard of them tho, I can't say these people will
be the next gaga or Britney tho

^ Hearsay via my Music industry friends

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:48 pm

I will say there is another GAGA copy cat, but she won't be the next big pop girl

WXBHCQYxwr0

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 7:58 pm

Tbh, 2018 didn't have a big shift. Most of 2018 has continued trends of 2017. I think 2019 will have a lot of changes.

theres 3 girls right now, one of them is working with Max Martin that is suppose to be the next girl.
You won't hear stuff from her for awhile tho.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/03/18 at 7:59 pm

Well if Taylor Swift would tramp it up a notch, she could get back on top of the charts.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/03/18 at 8:02 pm

The billboard 100 can be so much better right now by having new refreshing artists and changing the music scene instantly.

If we get "the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga" than it isn't anything new at all, it's just the same old same old. If we are "due for a change" than it has to be something radical and different which obliterates all thoughts of the tired old Gaga or Spears model. It sounds like what you are looking for is just an updated  version of the Spears/Gaga model with exciting new songs rather than something radical and different. When the real change comes nobody will say "this is the new Lady Gaga". That model will be gone. You also seem to take it as a given that the next thing will be a "she". It may or may not be a she, but the new thing will REPLACE the Gaga/Spears model rather than being the NEXT one in the same line.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 8:04 pm

If we get "the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga" than it isn't anything new at all, it's just the same old same old. If we are "due for a change" than it has to be something radical and different which obliterates all thoughts of the tired old Gaga or Spears model. It sounds like what you are looking for is just an updated  version of the Spears/Gaga model with exciting new songs rather than something radical and different. When the change comes nobody will say "this is the new Lady Gaga". That model will be gone.  You also seem to take it as a given that the next thing will be a "she". The new thing will REPLACE the Gaga/Spears model rather than being the NEXT one in the same line.

There is a she in the pipeline who is being groomed

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/03/18 at 8:07 pm

There is a she in the pipeline who is being groomed

Than the "she" in question will be just another manufactured star of the ilk we already have. That's not change.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 8:08 pm

Than the "she" in question will be just another manufactured star of the ilk we already have. That's not change.

yupp

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/03/18 at 8:19 pm

yupp

I guess I misunderstood the original question. I thought it was asking if a big change was coming, but I see now it is asking "when is the next big thing coming". But it doesn't say the next big thing has to be different from the last big thing. And anyone who is being "groomed" to be a star is obviously being manufactured to be a moneymaker rather than someone who is a serious artist, an artist of change. Artists evolve, they are not "groomed".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/03/18 at 8:55 pm

If we get "the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga" than it isn't anything new at all, it's just the same old same old. If we are "due for a change" than it has to be something radical and different which obliterates all thoughts of the tired old Gaga or Spears model. It sounds like what you are looking for is just an updated version of the Spears/Gaga model with exciting new songs rather than something radical and different. When the real change comes nobody will say "this is the new Lady Gaga". That model will be gone. You also seem to take it as a given that the next thing will be a "she". It may or may not be a she, but the new thing will REPLACE the Gaga/Spears model rather than being the NEXT one in the same line.
The new pop star doesn't have to follow the Britney Spears or the Lady Gaga formula. She or he can experiment with a new sound to where her (or his) songs will evolve the music scene and become a groundbreaking sensation that people will look back on in the future. That's why the industry needs an overhaul. It also honestly sucks how there's no variety in the mainstream right now. Now I DO like some songs on the charts, but not much else. I also know that the underground scene will always be diverse and that I can listen to anything I want anytime, but the problem is that most of those artists don't receive the recognition they deserve for all the hard work they put in. The charts can be so much better today and I hope it changes soon.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 10:21 pm

The new pop star doesn't have to follow the Britney Spears or the Lady Gaga formula. She or he can experiment with a new sound to where her (or his) songs will evolve the music scene and become a groundbreaking sensation that people will look back on in the future. That's why the industry needs an overhaul. It also honestly sucks how there's no variety in the mainstream right now. Now I DO like some songs on the charts, but not much else. I also know that the underground scene will always be diverse and that I can listen to anything I want anytime, but the problem is that most of those artists don't receive the recognition they deserve for all the hard work they put in. The charts can be so much better today and I hope it changes soon.

a lot of stuff in the mainstream has the cork screw vocal sound that became popular around 2016

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/03/18 at 10:34 pm

Honestly, they can continue keeping dry pop music off of billboard.

Written By: 2001 on 11/04/18 at 9:49 am

Taylor Swift was just as popular as Gaga imo, maybe not as much as Britney though.

Written By: Dundee on 11/04/18 at 9:54 am

Make SOPHIE the next Gaga, thank you bye.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/04/18 at 12:01 pm

Taylor Swift was just as popular as Gaga imo, maybe not as much as Britney though.

Taylor could give her popularity a little bit of a boost if she'd have a "Miley Cyrus" phase.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/04/18 at 5:28 pm

a lot of stuff in the mainstream has the corkscrew vocal sound that became popular around 2016
What song is an example of the corkscrew vocal sound?

Honestly, they can continue keeping dry pop music off of billboard.
What do you mean?

Taylor could give her popularity a little bit of a boost if she'd have a "Miley Cyrus" phase.
I don't think she is willing to do that. T-Swift to have more class than her counterparts.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/04/18 at 5:30 pm

I don't think she is willing to do that. T-Swift to have more class than her counterparts.

That's what they used to say about Miley too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/04/18 at 5:32 pm

That's what they used to say about Miley too.
Well that's because she played a character that didn't fit her personality. Besides, before Miley even had that moment in 2013, she had controversy in 2008 for nude photos.

Written By: John Titor on 11/04/18 at 5:32 pm

What song is an example of the corkscrew vocal sound?
What do you mean?

when the vocals have that 90s low pitch house  sound where it sounds like its distorted

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/04/18 at 5:33 pm

when the vocals have that 90s low pitch house  sound where it sounds like its distorted
But is there a song today that utilizes those vocals?

Written By: John Titor on 11/04/18 at 5:35 pm

But is there a song today that utilizes those vocals?

hRVfCplkKq4

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/04/18 at 5:54 pm

What do you mean?

Pop music has reigned for decades now. I like the fact that it's taking a rest. I don't really care to have another Britney or GaGa right now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/04/18 at 6:03 pm

Pop music has reigned for decades now. I like the fact that it's taking a rest. I don't really care to have another Britney or GaGa right now.
Well today's music scene doesn't exactly have to have another Britney or GaGa. It can be someone who's experimental and changes the industry by storm. One thing though is the mainstream definitely needs an overhaul.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 11/04/18 at 7:59 pm

Probably 2019 or 2020

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/05/18 at 11:54 am

Well today's music scene doesn't exactly have to have another Britney or GaGa. It can be someone who's experimental and changes the industry by storm. One thing though is the mainstream definitely needs an overhaul.

Okay, I see what you're saying.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/05/18 at 3:07 pm

Today's music industry is in desperate need of a NIRVANA, not a Lady Gaga or Britney Spears.

There's really nothing right now reflecting the dark mood and angst this era represents for many people.  Everything is all bright and upbeat.

Written By: Dundee on 11/05/18 at 3:17 pm

Everything is all bright and upbeat.
Really disagree when most of the charts is made up of gritty trap, slow-pop and emo-rap. Even the popular EDM is nowhere near as "club extasy-esque" as the genre can be.

Written By: John Titor on 11/05/18 at 3:21 pm

Today's music industry is in desperate need of a NIRVANA, not a Lady Gaga or Britney Spears.

There's really nothing right now reflecting the dark mood and angst this era represents for many people.  Everything is all bright and upbeat.

we already went thru a dark era the mid 2010s

Written By: bchris02 on 11/05/18 at 4:41 pm

Really disagree when most of the charts is made up of gritty trap, slow-pop and emo-rap. Even the popular EDM is nowhere near as "club extasy-esque" as the genre can be.

Surely you aren't talking about radio music are you?

we already went thru a dark era the mid 2010s

And somehow it managed to not even touch music.  The 2010s are probably easily the least experimental decade for music since the 1980s.

Written By: Dundee on 11/05/18 at 5:06 pm

Surely you aren't talking about radio music are you?
Nope, I'm talking about the charts, the actual way of getting what kind of music is consumed by most people.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/05/18 at 6:18 pm

Nope, I'm talking about the charts, the actual way of getting what kind of music is consumed by most people.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/pop-songs

Which of the songs on the chart above are angsty?  For that matter, which ones aren't bright and upbeat?

Check for new replies or respond here...