inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the Obama era the slowest era ever ?

Written By: John Titor on 11/20/18 at 4:10 pm

The Obama Era  ( November 2008- November 2016) seemed like it dragged on forever.
Does anyone else agree?  Not even the Clinton or Bush 2 era seemed it went on that long.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Its like this era went on WAYYYYYYYY 2 long.
I am not talking about Obama (as I voted for him) but rather the culture itself.

Subject: Re: Was the Obama era the slowest era ever ?

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/20/18 at 6:05 pm

You never know. The culture surrounding the current president may end up feeling like the most extended.

Written By: John Titor on 11/20/18 at 6:09 pm

You never know. The culture surrounding the current president may end up feeling like the most extended.

2012 ,
We may never know, but that Obama era dragged on wayyyy 2 long, it should have ended around  2013 or 2014
but he got re elected so it kept on going, along with the same hipster culture continuing with it.

Written By: 2001 on 11/20/18 at 7:37 pm

Bush era felt longer to me, most perhaps because I was a kid/teen then.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/20/18 at 7:39 pm

Nah. It didn't seem like it was too long. It ended as soon as Trump made the news where he decided to run for oval office.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/20/18 at 7:56 pm

Yo, John. You prefer the Obama era or the Trump era?

Written By: John Titor on 11/20/18 at 9:08 pm

Yo, John. You prefer the Obama era or the Trump era?

As of right now ? The Trump era  (and not because of President Trump)
but more for the atmosphere feels a little different and separated.

Written By: John Titor on 11/20/18 at 9:11 pm

Bush era felt longer to me, most perhaps because I was a kid/teen then.

I am way different I felt like that era was 2 short ! lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/21/18 at 12:01 am

2009 - 2012 - The True Hipster Era

2013 - 2016 - The False Hipster Era

Written By: Dundee on 11/21/18 at 6:09 am

Absolutely the opposite, Obama era was crazy and fast-paced and constantly changing, while the Trump era drags on forever.

John Titor gettin' it all wrong once again as expected lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/21/18 at 10:34 am

Absolutely the opposite, Obama era was crazy and fast-paced and constantly changing, while the Trump era drags on forever.

John Titor gettin' it all wrong once again as expected lol

;D

You know what? While I think this might be one of Titor's low key swipe threads at liberals/democrats, she might be on to something. I really wouldn't say it dragged in a negative way but there was a lot of crisis during Obama's term. Very few were Obama's fault. Still, I guess all the crisis and movements probably tired a lot of people out. It's sad because it's looking like we're going to end up the same way once Beto becomes president in 2020. How bittersweet. A Republican to tear it down. A Democrat to fix it and take the blame. >:(

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/21/18 at 10:53 am

It's only been 2 years, it already feels like it's been 4 to me.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/21/18 at 11:50 am

Yes.  I absolutely despise this era.  This is a hellish nightmare for anyone who isn't white, heterosexual, or the right kind of Christian.  I worry that the US is one national crisis away from making Nazi Germany look like a warm up.  The hate and anger right now is unfathomable.  And this is all because fundamentalist Christians cannot accept a pluralistic society where their religion isn't forced on everyone.

I wish it was possible to time travel back to 2010.  I miss the optimism of the Obama years, especially the first term.

Written By: John Titor on 11/21/18 at 12:14 pm

John Titor gettin' it all right once again as expected lol

The Obama era had a lot of fast paced up and downs but general atmosphere felt pretty much the same within the 2 sub eras of the Obama era
2008-2012 & 2013-2016  it just draggggggggggggggged

We are only in year 2 of Trump year tho

Written By: John Titor on 11/21/18 at 12:17 pm

;D

You know what? While I think this might be one of Titor's low key swipe threads at liberals/democrats, she might be on to something. I really wouldn't say it dragged in a negative way but there was a lot of crisis during Obama's term. Very few were Obama's fault. Still, I guess all the crisis and movements probably tired a lot of people out. It's sad because it's looking like we're going to end up the same way once Beto becomes president in 2020. How bittersweet. A Republican to tear it down. A Democrat to fix it and take the blame. >:(

I actually consider myself a libertarian at this point, I think a lot of the dragged out feeling stemmed from the Hipster faux zeitgeist that took so long to die out.

2009- to around mid 2016 was really missing something culture wise that I can't quite put my finger on. I think once Pokemon Go became a thing its started changing.
I know that game has nothing to do with the culture, but it was like a break and the first time I saw people going outside again in years.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/21/18 at 12:20 pm

Yeah. Definitely too long. I really,  really don't think Trump is gonna be reelected. The dems took back most of districts Trump turned red in 2016 if not all and more. I think 2020 is gonna be a repeat of 2008

Written By: 2001 on 11/21/18 at 12:20 pm

Wouldn't it feeling long be an indicator of rapid change? The reason childhood feels so long is because that at that young age, we are learning so much and growing everyday. Each day feels different from the next, and the story has multiple chapters in our minds. In contrast, the monotonous routines and slower pace of changes in adulthood make one day bleed into the next until it is all jumbled up into one big blob- and we ask ourselves-"Wait, was that really 40 years of life?" ;D

In short, if an era was long, it was likely very eventful and changeful. And I'd agree that the Bush/Obama eras fit the bill on that one :P

Written By: John Titor on 11/21/18 at 12:23 pm

Wouldn't it feeling long be an indicator of rapid change? The reason childhood feels so long is because that at that young age, we are learning so much and growing everyday. Each day feels different from the next, and the story has multiple chapters in our mind. In contrast, the monotonous routines and slower pace of changes in adulthood make one day bleed into the next until it is all jumbled up into one big blob- and we ask ourselves-"Wait, was that really 40 years of life?" ;D

In short, if an era was long, it was likely very eventful and changeful. And I'd agree that the Bush/Obama eras fit the bill on that one :P

2008 I was already an adult lol hardly a child

Written By: 2001 on 11/21/18 at 12:26 pm

2008 I was already an adult lol hardly a child

No, I was explaining why childhood feels longer than adulthood - then applying the same reasoning to why certain eras feel longer than others.

Written By: John Titor on 11/21/18 at 12:27 pm

No, I was explaining why childhood feels longer than adulthood - then applying the same reasoning to why certain eras feel longer than others.

oh lol

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/21/18 at 2:21 pm

I agree with slowpoke that the Bush era felt longer (since I was also a kid) but the Obama era felt long at the beginning since I was much younger and it was during the recission. Trump era (despite not being a Trump fan) did went by fast for me since I finishing college, had much more of a social-life and really became more focused on my poetry since late 2016.

Written By: John Titor on 11/22/18 at 5:40 pm

I agree with slowpoke that the Bush era felt longer (since I was also a kid) but the Obama era felt long at the beginning since I was much younger and it was during the recission. Trump era (despite not being a Trump fan) did went by fast for me since I finishing college, had much more of a social-life and really became more focused on my poetry since late 2016.

The very start of the Obama era DRAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGED

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/23/18 at 3:35 am

Yes.  I absolutely despise this era.  This is a hellish nightmare for anyone who isn't white, heterosexual, or the right kind of Christian.  I worry that the US is one national crisis away from making Nazi Germany look like a warm up.  The hate and anger right now is unfathomable.  And this is all because fundamentalist Christians cannot accept a pluralistic society where their religion isn't forced on everyone.

I wish it was possible to time travel back to 2010.  I miss the optimism of the Obama years, especially the first term.

Real Christianity is about love, not hate. There's a difference between people who actually follow Jesus and the Bible, and people who just call themselves Christian just because they attend church on Sundays, but their lifestyles and character says otherwise.

Yeah. Definitely too long. I really,  really don't think Trump is gonna be reelected. The dems took back most of districts Trump turned red in 2016 if not all and more. I think 2020 is gonna be a repeat of 2008

I have a feeling 2020 will be a repeat of 2004 and Trump will get reelected, especially if the economy stays strong and Trump's approval rating stays high, and if the Democrats nominate someone like John Kerry or Michael Dukakis again.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/23/18 at 9:38 am

I have a feeling 2020 will be a repeat of 2004 and Trump will get reelected, especially if the economy stays strong and Trump's approval rating stays high, and if the Democrats nominate someone like John Kerry or Michael Dukakis again.

It could happen as it is within the realm of possibility but Bush was able to scare up votes with the War of Terror in 2004. The blue states that went for him in 2016 seem to have serious buyers remorse and most of the Republicans elected in those places in 2016 have returned democrat.

I'm pretty sure Beto is getting the nomination and I definitely think he'll win against Trump.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/23/18 at 3:54 pm

^^ Trump’s approval rating is so high because this country has been completely overtaken by a seething hatred and rage towards those who don’t conform perfectly to a 1950s WASP hetero Christian culture.  This is dispicable. This is pure evil. It’s mindnumbing to have to live through a time such as this. Three years after #LoveWins there’s nothing to see but hate and anger. Scary times to be alive.

I’m now convinced life will never be better than it was in 2010.

Written By: John Titor on 11/23/18 at 5:39 pm

^^ Trump’s approval rating is so high because this country has been completely overtaken by a seething hatred and rage towards those who don’t conform perfectly to a 1950s WASP hetero Christian culture.  This is dispicable. This is pure evil. It’s mindnumbing to have to live through a time such as this. Three years after #LoveWins there’s nothing to see but hate and anger. Scary times to be alive.

I’m now convinced life will never be better than it was in 2010.
its not just that, its people sick of SJW culture as well and Democrats were associated in the narrative as being SJW censored society, that + Russia hacking the polls made Trump win.

I did not like Hilary or Trump as I was rooting for Sanders. I have a feeling Trump will win again sadly.
Its kind of scary some of Trumps appointed staff are KKK members.

At this point tho I am sick of the Trump bashing, we get it he is an idiot and a racist, but theres nothing we can do about until 2020.
By the time an impeachment were to occur it would already be 2020 or later.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/18 at 5:54 pm

Which ones? ???

Written By: John Titor on 11/23/18 at 5:55 pm

Which ones? ???
2 lazy to search it but its there

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/24/18 at 7:10 am

it's not just that, its people sick of SJW culture as well and Democrats were associated in the narrative as being SJW censored society, that + Russia hacking the polls made Trump win.

I did not like Hilary or Trump as I was rooting for Sanders. I have a feeling Trump will win again sadly.
Its kind of scary some of Trump's appointed staff is KKK members.

At this point tho I am sick of the Trump bashing, we get it he is an idiot and a racist, but there's nothing we can do about until 2020.
Agreed, Trump may be disliked strongly by minorities, LGBT,  and SJW, 's but all we can do is focus on bettering our lives and our communities. After all if Trump wasn't president none of us would be caring about midterm elections.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/18 at 7:45 am

2 lazy to search it but its there

So who are the card carrying KKk-Ers?  Name names or they don't exist.

I don't see anybody complaining about O'Bama's association with the anti-Semitic Nation of Islam boyz...

Written By: Elor on 11/24/18 at 10:16 am

^^ Trump’s approval rating is so high because this country has been completely overtaken by a seething hatred and rage towards those who don’t conform perfectly to a 1950s WASP hetero Christian culture.
But how many Americans actually fit that bill? I would think a minority as there can't be enough white, right wing, straight, christian males full of hate to be a majority of the population. So how can they win elections? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/18 at 3:27 pm

But how many Americans actually fit that bill? I would think a minority as there can't be enough white, right wing, straight, christian males full of hate to be a majority of the population. So how can they win elections? ???

We have a great lobby!  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/25/18 at 1:49 am

I don't completely agree with Chris, but technically, a minority of voters can win the presidential election in the US and it's happened in 2000 and 2016. The Republicans are becoming a voting bloc that is relying more and more on the electoral college.

Written By: Elor on 11/25/18 at 6:02 am

I don't completely agree with Chris, but technically, a minority of voters can win the presidential election in the US and it's happened in 2000 and 2016. The Republicans are becoming a voting bloc that is relying more and more on the electoral college.
But even then you still need probably 40+% to make it. I still doubt that you have 40% of white male right wing christian nut cases in the country (can't actually happen with a 50/50 gender mix and plenty of non white people).

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/25/18 at 6:28 am

its not just that, its people sick of SJW culture as well and Democrats were associated in the narrative as being SJW censored society, that + Russia hacking the polls made Trump win.

At this point tho I am sick of the Trump bashing, we get it he is an idiot and a racist, but theres nothing we can do about until 2020.

2 words: political correctness. It got to the point of being ridiculous. During Obama's 2nd term, things got out of hand with the rise of ISIS and domestic criminals feeling empowered while the police felt limited. It was all because of political correctness. It was considered politically incorrect to regulate our borders and not just let anybody in.

Trump might be an idiot and a douchebag, but he's actually accomplished a lot in 2 years. One thing I'm tired of with both parties, is it's unacceptable if it's someone from the opposite party, but completely ok with someone in the same party. Obama back in 2005 when he was a senator spoke against illegal immigration. Another recent example is Ivanka doing the same thing with emails as Hillary and Republicans want to look the other way. It's all hypocrisy and double-standards.

Written By: 2001 on 11/25/18 at 7:23 am

But even then you still need probably 40+% to make it. I still doubt that you have 40% of white male right wing christian nut cases in the country (can't actually happen with a 50/50 gender mix and plenty of non white people).

I don't think Chris said anything about males. If you count only people who are straight, Christian and white, I'm sure that describes 50%+ of Americans.

Written By: Elor on 11/25/18 at 7:28 am

I don't think Chris said anything about males. If you count only people who are straight, Christian and white, I'm sure that describes 50%+ of Americans.
OK, sorry I wrote my post before actually looking up "WASP". :-[
Thought it was about white, male, christian nut cases. :-\\

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/25/18 at 1:26 pm

2 words: political correctness. It got to the point of being ridiculous. During Obama's 2nd term, things got out of hand with the rise of ISIS and domestic criminals feeling empowered while the police felt limited. It was all because of political correctness. It was considered politically incorrect to regulate our borders and not just let anybody in.

Trump might be an idiot and a douchebag, but he's actually accomplished a lot in 2 years. One thing I'm tired of with both parties, is it's unacceptable if it's someone from the opposite party, but completely ok with someone in the same party. Obama back in 2005 when he was a senator spoke against illegal immigration. Another recent example is Ivanka doing the same thing with emails as Hillary and Republicans want to look the other way. It's all hypocrisy and double-standards.

What exactly has Trump accomplished that can without little doubt be looked on favorably?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/26/18 at 4:58 pm

What exactly has Trump accomplished that can without little doubt be looked on favorably?

The economy has grown, unemployment is near record lows, ISIS is unheard of because they have been nearly elimnated, and as a military veteran the VA seems to be better now (I wouldn't know what it used to be like so I can't really compare, but I heard horror stories), the US military is strengthening and the moral was improving right before I retired, and the overall culture seems to be nicer (but maybe that's because I moved back to Georgia, so I can't speak for the rest of the country).

I don't necessarily agree with everything he believes in however, like building a wall.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/26/18 at 10:09 pm

The economy has grown, unemployment is near record lows, ISIS is unheard of because they have been nearly elimnated, and as a military veteran the VA seems to be better now (I wouldn't know what it used to be like so I can't really compare, but I heard horror stories), the US military is strengthening and the moral was improving right before I retired, and the overall culture seems to be nicer (but maybe that's because I moved back to Georgia, so I can't speak for the rest of the country).

I don't necessarily agree with everything he believes in however, like building a wall.

I'm not really sure about any of these claims (except the morale boost in the military. A lot of people in the armed service are beguiled by tough man rhetoric even when they're being short-changed). I'll just take your word for it.

I'm still almost sure 2020 is gonna look like:

Democratic President
Democratic House
Republican Senate

Written By: Elor on 11/28/18 at 9:06 am

And exactly how much of that stuff wasn't on the horizon when Obama left?
The economy was already rising and just continued on that path after he left and ISIS already got their butt handed to them long before Trump took over (why do conservatives constantly try to make this look like a Trump achievement? It's so ridiculous ::)) .

Written By: APDCR1990 on 11/28/18 at 3:32 pm

I'm not really sure about any of these claims (except the morale boost in the military. A lot of people in the armed service are beguiled by tough man rhetoric even when they're being short-changed). I'll just take your word for it.

I'm still almost sure 2020 is gonna look like:

Democratic President
Democratic House
Republican Senate

You can also add in another recession at some point between 2019-2021 and then an economic crisis 2008 style shortly after that. The early-mid 2020s will be pretty bleak economically, IMO. This so-called "recovery" has been an illusion, regardless of Obama or Trump. We're trillions in debt and wages have not caught up to rises in cost of living. Income inequality is equivalent to that of a banana republic.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/30/18 at 6:05 am

The Obama Era  ( November 2008- November 2016) seemed like it dragged on forever.
Does anyone else agree?  Not even the Clinton or Bush 2 era seemed it went on that long.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Its like this era went on WAYYYYYYYY 2 long.
I am not talking about Obama (as I voted for him) but rather the culture itself.

I liked it while it lasted. And while I was too young to remember much of the Clinton years, I don't think Bush went that fast at all.

Or maybe time just moves slowly for me in general. *shrug*

Written By: John Titor on 11/30/18 at 10:02 am

I liked it while it lasted. And while I was too young to remember much of the Clinton years, I don't think Bush went that fast at all.

Or maybe time just moves slowly for me in general. *shrug*

I think the Bush years didn't go by so fast because they were

1)  9/11 to 2008
2) So many fun and pop culture moments happened every week that we didn't notice how many days were passing by,
we were caught up in the moment

Late 2001  2002  2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008

It seems like a lot but to us it didn't feel like time was dragging like the  majority of 2010s did

Written By: Dundee on 11/30/18 at 5:12 pm

I think the Bush years didn't go by so fast because they were

1)  9/11 to 2008
2) So many fun and pop culture moments happened every week that we didn't notice how many days were passing by,
we were caught up in the moment

Late 2001  2002  2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008

It seems like a lot but to us it didn't feel like time was dragging like the  majority of 2010s did
Or... It's probably just because you were out of high school and therefore not as connected to pop culture as before.

Written By: John Titor on 11/30/18 at 5:41 pm

Or... It's probably just because you were out of high school and therefore not as connected to pop culture as before.

I  worked at a top ten record label in 2009 and 2010 when I moved to the west coast lol
Then went to work at an entertainment Cable tv station from 2011-2014

so not really lol

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/30/18 at 6:01 pm

I love Mr.Shruggie he's such an OG.

Written By: Dundee on 12/01/18 at 12:23 pm

I  worked at a top ten record label in 2009 and 2010 when I moved to the west coast lol
Then went to work at an entertainment Cable tv station from 2011-2014

so not really lol
You were not bathed in the pop culture, pop culture made you work. No wonder time was so slow for you lol

I love Mr.Shruggie he's such an OG.

Thanks! Love ya too
:-*
(Giving you this ugly-ass kissing emoticon cuz karamelsutra ain't workin on mobile ;D)

Written By: John Titor on 12/02/18 at 1:49 pm

You were not bathed in the pop culture, pop culture made you work. No wonder time was so slow for you lol
Thanks! Love ya too
:-*
(Giving you this ugly-ass kissing emoticon cuz karamelsutra ain't workin on mobile ;D)

I was bathed in the pop culture while I was working how do you think I even got the job.
Really dumb response.

Check for new replies or respond here...