inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did 2010s culture started so quickly?

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 12:06 pm

You ever wonder why and how 2010s culture came in very quickly? I remember back in 2009 that while late 2000s culture was still present, I can tell that 2000s culture is dying while 2010s stuff is coming in. In 2010, so many stuff from the 2000s had been overshadowed by 2010s stuff such as Adventure Time, Hipsters, Twitter, The Walking Dead, Smartphones/Ipad, Kesha, Drake, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber. The 80s was very long in the tooth and died in 1991 when Grunge and Gangsta Rap became a thing. The 90s was also long as well when the teen pop sound still dominated in 2000. Did people back then hated the 2000s and want to start the 2010s as soon as possible?

Subject: Re: How did 2010s culture started so quickly?

Written By: wixness on 11/29/18 at 12:10 pm

I believe yes. People probably were more homophobic and transphobic at the time in the 2000s. I don't think they liked long hair on guys any more since it made them look more like girls. I'm also under the impression that people didn't like the music of the 2000s because it seemed childish and manufactured. But yes, the 2000s to most people seemed to lack any redeeming qualities.

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 1:03 pm

I believe yes. People probably were more homophobic and transphobic at the time in the 2000s. I don't think they liked long hair on guys any more since it made them look more like girls. I'm also under the impression that people didn't like the music of the 2000s because it seemed childish and manufactured. But yes, the 2000s to most people seemed to lack any redeeming qualities.

I mean there were still some long hair on guys in the early 2010s but it was more associated with Justin Bieber than emo/scene.

Written By: Dundee on 11/29/18 at 1:13 pm

So 2010s culture starting right on time in 2010 is now considered problematic? ???

The 90s-2000s transition isn't a fair comparison since the Y2K period engulfed it, and there's probably no discussion to how distinct pre-Y2K (e.g. 1996) is from post-Y2K (e.g. 2002). The Teen Pop sound absolutely didn't last into the 2000s as even Teen Pop stars like Britney, Aguilera and Timberlake either transitioned into a grittier Neptunes-inspired sound or R&B/Urban-inspired productions a la Timbaland as soon as in 2001 to 2002.

The 80s music-wise had a hard time dying sure, but the late-80s were already quite watered down compared to what came immediately before and most of the early-90 were dominated by New Jack Swing, Hip House, Adult Contemporary balladry and the last remains of Glam Metal anyway, so it just died eventually on its own before new trends just naturally came into the picture to replace them (Grunge exploding in 1992 and Gangsta Rap in 1993, neither in 1991).

And really, 2009 to me is very comparable to how 1979 still felt grounded into its decade while the new trends that would define the next one were already popularized (New Wave & Desktop computers - Electropop & Smartphones)

Written By: wixness on 11/29/18 at 1:16 pm

I mean there were still some long hair on guys in the early 2010s but it was more associated with Justin Bieber than emo/scene.

OK, so shame he ruined it. I dislike how guys have their hair these days, how the music's bland in order to replace the pop punk sound that dominated the 2000s, and how the fashion's gendered as a result of the Bieber hairdo.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/18 at 1:16 pm

True, but that hairstyle was extremely popular before Justin Bieber and it was popularized by emo/scene culture.  I remember in the summer of 2008 if you were a dude in your teens or early twenties, chances are you had that hairstyle.  It's association with Bieber after he became popular is what led to its decline.

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 1:20 pm

So 2010s culture starting right on time in 2010 is now considered problematic? ???

The 90s-2000s transition isn't a fair comparison since the Y2K period engulfed it, and there's probably no discussion to how distinct pre-Y2K (e.g. 1996) is from post-Y2K (e.g. 2002). The Teen Pop sound absolutely didn't last into the 2000s as even Teen Pop stars like Britney, Aguilera and Timberlake either transitioned into a grittier Neptunes-inspired sound or R&B/Urban-inspired productions a la Timbaland as soon as in 2001 to 2002.

The 80s music-wise had a hard time dying sure, but the late-80s were already quite watered down compared to what came immediately before and most of the early-90 were dominated by New Jack Swing, Hip House, Adult Contemporary balladry and the last remains of Glam Metal anyway, so it just died eventually on its own before new trends just naturally came into the picture to replace them (Grunge exploding in 1992 and Gangsta Rap in 1993, neither in 1991).

And really, 2009 to me is very comparable to how 1979 still felt grounded into its decade while the new trends that would define the next one were already popularized (New Wave & Desktop computers - Electropop & Smartphones)

I don't find it problematic, I was just wondering how 2010s culture started developing so fast than the other decades, I find it very intriguing and fascinated. I also said the teen pop sound was still around in 2000 not 2001/02.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/18 at 1:27 pm

OK, so shame he ruined it. I dislike how guys have their hair these days, how the music's bland in order to replace the pop punk sound that dominated the 2000s, and how the fashion's gendered as a result of the Bieber hairdo.

I miss that hairstyle as well as I thought guys looked very cute with it.  However, the emo/scene era has come and gone and it isn't coming back.  Guys today are wearing their hair a little bit longer than they were in 2014 it seems.

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 1:50 pm

True, but that hairstyle was extremely popular before Justin Bieber and it was popularized by emo/scene culture.  I remember in the summer of 2008 if you were a dude in your teens or early twenties, chances are you had that hairstyle.  It's association with Bieber after he became popular is what led to its decline.

2009-2010 school year was when Bieber got popular. If you hate Justin Bieber, you were seen as cool.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/18 at 3:32 pm

2009-2010 school year was when Bieber got popular. If you hate Justin Bieber, you were seen as cool.

And coincidentally 2009 was the last year that hairstyle was overwhelmingly popular.  You still saw it for a few more years but I remember 2010 as being the year a lot of my college dude friends cut their hair.

Written By: wixness on 11/29/18 at 4:14 pm

To be fair, he was kind of a dbag, but I don't know why it meant that guys just cut their hair to look more gendered again.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/18 at 4:32 pm

To be fair, he was kind of a dbag, but I don't know why it meant that guys just cut their hair to look more gendered again.

Because that style became known as the "Bieber cut" and was no longer cool because it was associated with Justin Bieber.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 11/29/18 at 6:25 pm

At the time, both 2009 & 2010 felt very different from years prior. Dubya was no longer president, the economy took a turn for the worst, and electropop was making an appearance. Add to the fact that for me personally, I graduated high school and entered college in '09. So my perception of the changes were probably greater than those still in high school or too young to remember.

But in retrospect, 2010 wasn't really like the core years of the '10s. Trap music, gated drum beats, and electro/synth sounds beyond a few pop stars (e.g. electro indie) wasn't around then. It was still common for many (maybe most?) not to even own a smartphone in 2010, even though it became rampant shortly after. The smartphone and everything associated with it defines 10's culture, IMO. It's true that the iPhone came out in 2007, but to me it matters when something becomes so mainstream that it changes the culture.

Thrift shop hipsters also predates the 10's. I definitely remember them in high school. It was around 2012/13, when I began to notice a fusion of the hipster and yuppie. This fusion culture is definitive '10s to me, whereas the 00's had more distinctive and segregated groups.

I guess to some it up -- 10's culture was emerging and many things were becoming noticeable, but it hadn't become apparent yet. There were still a lot of lingering late 00's stuff around in 2010. It felt neither like 2005 or 2015.

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 6:37 pm

At the time, both 2009 & 2010 felt very different from years prior. Dubya was no longer president, the economy took a turn for the worst, and electropop was making an appearance. Add to the fact that for me personally, I graduated high school and entered college in '09. So my perception of the changes were probably greater than those still in high school or too young to remember.

But in retrospect, 2010 wasn't really like the core years of the '10s. Trap music, gated drum beats, and electro/synth sounds beyond a few pop stars (e.g. electro indie) wasn't around then. It was still common for many (maybe most?) not to even own a smartphone in 2010, even though it became rampant shortly after. The smartphone and everything associated with it defines 10's culture, IMO. It's true that the iPhone came out in 2007, but to me it matters when something becomes so mainstream that it changes the culture.

Thrift shop hipsters also predates the 10's. I definitely remember them in high school. It was around 2012/13, when I began to notice a fusion of the hipster and yuppie. This fusion culture is definitive '10s to me, whereas the 00's had more distinctive and segregated groups.

I guess to some it up -- 10's culture was emerging and many things were becoming noticeable, but it hadn't become apparent yet. There were still a lot of lingering late 00's stuff around in 2010. It felt neither like 2005 or 2015.

I think hipsters came before that, I would say 2011/2012 was when they appear. I would also say that the 2010/2011 school year was when late 2000s culture faded away. MySpace was dead, Emo was dead, ringtone rap was dead, smartphone sales rising, app games, Facebook/Twitter, Bob's Burgers/Regular Show debut, and Minecraft becoming popular. 2010/2011 school year wasn't core 2010s enough but it leaned more to that than the late 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 11/29/18 at 6:46 pm

Did people back then hated the 2000s and want to start the 2010s as soon as possible?

I want to say yes but I'd be letting my personal bias slip through ;D

I don't think decades are living, breathing, dying things. It just so happened that so many changes happened at once, giving 2009+ a very different atmosphere to the years prior. I do think the rapid pace of change in technology, the onset of the Great Recession and the election of Obama were changeful events which killed the 2000s more or less. I remember summer 2008 still feeling very 2000s; Michael Phelps for example feels entirely like a 2000s icon to me. A year later we were in a completely different world.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/18 at 6:58 pm

I would agree with this, though I would say that 2010 felt slightly more like 2015 than 2005.

I want to say yes but I'd be letting my personal bias slip through ;D

I don't think decades are living, breathing, dying things. It just so happened that so many changes happened at once, giving 2009+ a very different atmosphere to the years prior. I do think the rapid pace of change in technology, the onset of the Great Recession and the election of Obama were changeful events which killed the 2000s more or less. I remember summer 2008 still feeling very 2000s; Michael Phelps for example feels entirely like a 2000s icon to me. A year later we were in a completely different world.

I would agree with this.  The seismic shifts in so many areas of our society in late 2008 really gave 2009+ a different feel.  I would say the same thing about 2017+ to be honest.  Today feels nothing like 2016 or before.  It just so happens that in recent history, most major cultural shifts have occurred around the time of decade changeover but that doesn't have to be the case.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 11/29/18 at 7:15 pm

I think hipsters came before that, I would say 2011/2012 was when they appear. I would also say that the 2010/2011 school year was when late 2000s culture faded away. MySpace was dead, Emo was dead, ringtone rap was dead, smartphone sales rising, app games, Facebook/Twitter, Bob's Burgers/Regular Show debut, and Minecraft becoming popular. 2010/2011 school year wasn't core 2010s enough but it leaned more to that than the late 2000s.

You missed the rest of my sentence. I said "around 2012/13, I began to notice a fusion of the hipster and yuppie." Essentially "yupsters" or "yuccies." I graduated high school in '09 and noticed hipsters well before then, but they were separate from yuppies. There wasn't any "yupster" trend among high school students, college students, or even young grads back in the late 00's or even in 2010.

I would agree though that the late 00's were heavily dying during the 2010/11 school year, especially around New Year's 2011. I was a sophomore in college then and remember the flood of electropop songs. At the same time, "Just a Dream," "All I do is Win," "Bottoms Up," and "No Hands," could've easily came out in '08. Early Bruno Mars wasn't distinctive and could've came out a few years earlier as well. Myspace was actually dead well before then. I think '08 was the last year it had any type of relevance and even then it was fading fast.

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 7:26 pm

You missed the rest of my sentence. I said "around 2012/13, I began to notice a fusion of the hipster and yuppie." Essentially "yupsters" or "yuccies." I graduated high school in '09 and noticed hipsters well before then, but they were separate from yuppies. There wasn't any "yupster" trend among high school students, college students, or even young grads back in the late 00's or even in 2010.

I would agree though that the late 00's were heavily dying during the 2010/11 school year, especially around New Year's 2011. I was a sophomore in college then and remember the flood of electropop songs. At the same time, "Just a Dream," "All I do is Win," "Bottoms Up," and "No Hands," could've easily came out in '08. Early Bruno Mars wasn't distinctive and could've came out a few years earlier as well. Myspace was actually dead well before then. I think '08 was the last year it had any type of relevance and even then it was fading fast.

I also remember in the 2010/2011 year where hashtags starting to become popular.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 11/29/18 at 7:44 pm

2009 also seems comparable to 1981 in a lot of ways. Beginning of a new presidency, economy progressively getting worse, synthpop creeping in more.... sound familiar?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/29/18 at 9:57 pm

Yeah, they did for a variety of reasons. The 2008 recession, the disastrous Bush presidency and the unfortunate conflicts of the ME are a few good ones on why people would have hated the 00s. However, that's only one piece of the culture. Movies, some music, video games, and some fashion were decent in the late 2000s.

As for 2010, it's true that some trends had became known that would come to define the decade, but as one user mentioned it was still somewhat a 00s world. A few things I noticed some people forget is that folks still used iPods and MP3 players for music and digital cameras for photos that year. In addition, social media overall was mainly used by young people with Facebook being #1 followed by AIM and then Myspace.

Written By: mc98 on 11/29/18 at 10:02 pm

Yeah, they did for a variety of reasons. The 2008 recession, the disastrous Bush presidency and the unfortunate conflicts of the ME are a few good ones on why people would have hated the 00s. However, that's only one piece of the culture. Movies, some music, video games, and some fashion were decent in the late 2000s.

As for 2010, it's true that some trends had became known that would come to define the decade, but as one user mentioned it was still somewhat a 00s world. A few things I noticed some people forget is that folks still used iPods and MP3 players for music and digital cameras for photos that year. In addition, social media overall was mainly used by young people with Facebook being #1 followed by AIM and then Myspace.

Maybe the first half of 2010 may lean 00s but the second half felt more 2010s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/29/18 at 10:22 pm

Maybe the first half of 2010 may lean the 00s but the second half felt more 2010s.
I can agree with that. I mean by the summer of that year, electropop was in full force. The iPad became popular a few months after its release and the iPhone 4 came out as well. Then, that's also when Michelle Obama started her healthy lunch campaign with her husband signing in  Obamacare.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 11/30/18 at 3:21 am

2008 was the last year to have a strong 2000s feel but, it quickly fell off due to events such as, the ongoing recession, election and inauguration of Barack Obama, the death of 2000s materialism, the explosion of Electro Pop and EDM, the death of Glam Rap and Pop Punk, the popularity of Facebook and much more. 2009 really felt inbetween the 2000s and the first phase of the 2010s (2010 through 2012) due, to the reasons mentioned. I would say the 2000s influences were completely gone by about mid/late 2011, around the death of Osama Bin Laden and the end of the Iraq War.

I was actually very optimistic about this decade during the early 2010s but, things just went downhill.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 11:12 am

It just crept up on us when we were not looking! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/grin.gif

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/18 at 7:24 pm

I was actually very optimistic about this decade during the early 2010s but, things just went downhill.
Oh, man you're not kidding. I had that same feeling too. I was hoping that the 2010s would be generally positive as it formed but it turned out to be nothing more than an illusion. I think the upbeat aspect died when Trayvon was murdered and then the mass shootings increased.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/05/18 at 12:31 am

Oh, man you're not kidding. I had that same feeling too. I was hoping that the 2010s would be generally positive as it formed but it turned out to be nothing more than an illusion. I think the upbeat aspect died when Trayvon was murdered and then the mass shootings increased.

I think that was a big turning point. It's heartbreaking how much race relations have been set back since Trayvon.  Another big one around the same time was Obama coming out in favor of same-sex marriage. This really energized the religious right and it laid the groundwork for the Trump era.  2012 was a pivotal year.  I liked how things were shaping up this decade prior to 2012.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/05/18 at 10:40 am

There are a lot of cultural traditions that my family has. Some are from my ethnic
and cultural background and some are from the place where I was raised. I raise my son
to have manners and to be well behaved. I raise him to know that hard work is important
and that he is expected to put his best effort into things. He has to be clean. He has to be
nice to others and to try and not be angry or have temper tantrums. I can get away with
being a strict parent to him because he also knows that I love him more than anyone else.
I go salmon fishing every summer with a subsistence fishing gillnet. I gather blueberries.
I learned about exploring Alaska: boating, kayaking, rafting, and viewing wildlife. I
know how to take care of animals. I have to stack the firewood and help out as much as I
can around the house because my parents are older and it is hard work.
Holidays are when my family gathers and has a good time together. We gather
every summer in Haines so that all the cousins can grow up together. Birthdays were
always important events while growing up. My mom was excited to celebrate every
holiday. Trick or treating on Halloween, hiding baskets on Easter, passing out cards to
classmates on Valentine’s Day, wearing green on St. Patrick’s day, and of course loads of
presents under the tree on Christmas morning. My parents always made holidays a big
deal so now my son also gets to be excited for them every year.
My culture makes me a person that celebrates life. My family has a lot of good
friends and we are usually a good part of the community. We take care of each other and
try to treat others with respect. We like to go outdoors and have adventures. My belief
systems, cultural traditions, and special events have made me a happy person who is fun
to be around and who can have a positive impact on others.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/05/18 at 1:18 pm

I think that was a big turning point. It's heartbreaking how much race relations have been set back since Trayvon.  Another big one around the same time was Obama coming out in favor of same-sex marriage. This really energized the religious right and it laid the groundwork for the Trump era.  2012 was a pivotal year.  I liked how things were shaping up this decade prior to 2012.

A lot of this is why I put the start of the 2010's at 2012 instead of 2009 or 2010.

I would add that it was the first year where recreational marijuana was declared legal in Colorado and Washington and where fourth-wave feminism was something relevant.

2012, in my opinion, was definitely a "changing" year politically.

Written By: mc98 on 12/05/18 at 3:26 pm

A lot of this is why I put the start of the 2010's at 2012 instead of 2009 or 2010.

I would add that it was the first year where recreational marijuana was declared legal in Colorado and Washington and where fourth-wave feminism was something relevant.

2012, in my opinion, was definitely a "changing" year politically.

Actually the 2010s politics started with the Obama birth certificate controversy.

Written By: wixness on 12/05/18 at 3:41 pm

I daresay the fashion getting more gendered once and for all set us this culture war we have right now, of liberals versus conservatives. It's always happened but I thought that the liberals would be winning this decade. Sadly for me, it seems like they're losing.

---

I've noticed no one still wants to remember the 2000s, and even then, they only want to remember the early 2000s. I've noticed on an archived version of the Winx Club website from the 2000s telling readers on how they can incorporate 80s fashion since it's still hip according to that site, thus affirming this 20 year buffer zone on nostalgia. I've been reminded of a recent Tom Scott video on the VHS effect and how he mentioned that the 90s coming back into fashion. We're only two or so years before 2020 and no one really wishes to acknowledge the 2000s, at least on mainstream media. If they do, it's most likely the early 2000s. Granted, we are still in this 20 year nostalgia period I guess.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/06/18 at 1:30 pm

Actually the 2010s politics started with the Obama birth certificate controversy.

The things that I talked about regarding 2012's politics are all the "backbone" of the politics that took place during the years that followed.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/09/18 at 11:45 pm

I think people got bored of the 2000s and wanted to move on. They were probably tired of George Bush too. The 2000s were really hated when it ended I remember. It was often referred to as "the decade from hell". If they only knew where we'd be 10 years later... lol

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/10/18 at 10:43 am

The 2000's were the beginning of the internet.

Written By: John Titor on 12/10/18 at 1:26 pm

I think people got bored of the 2000s and wanted to move on. They were probably tired of George Bush too. The 2000s were really hated when it ended I remember. It was often referred to as "the decade from hell". If they only knew where we'd be 10 years later... lol
I would say this happened around 2009, around the time Kesha got big people wanted the 2000s to be done
but by that time all the classic 2000s things died in the last half of 2008, so you were left in the year 2009 with not many familiar things
but yet being in the year called 2009 in name only.

2009 had a very epilogue feeling, a pop culture paradise that had an atom bomb dropped on it revealing just a desert in it's place,
all while we pretended things were cheerful with Electropop.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 12/10/18 at 1:44 pm

I would say this happened around 2009, around the time Kesha got big people wanted the 2000s to be done
but by that time all the classic 2000s things died in the last half of 2008, so you were left in the year 2009 with not many familiar things
but yet being in the year called 2009 in name only.

2009 had a very epilogue feeling,  a pop culture paradise that had an atom bomb dropped on it revealing just a desert.

2009 & 2010 had both an epilogue AND preface feeling to them. I don't think 2019 or 2020 will have that similar feeling. We'll probably undergo major economic and political turmoil over the next year or two, but I don't see much change in terms of music, fashion, or technology.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/18 at 1:52 pm

2009 & 2010 had both an epilogue AND preface feeling to them. I don't think 2019 or 2020 will have that similar feeling. We'll probably undergo major economic and political turmoil over the next year or two, but I don't see much change in terms of music, fashion, or technology.

I think 2019 will bring quite a few changes in technology. 5G and new smartphone designs are pretty huge changes. In gaming, PS5 and the next XBox will also be pretty big.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 12/10/18 at 2:23 pm

I think 2019 will bring quite a few changes in technology. 5G and new smartphone designs are pretty huge changes. In gaming, PS5 and the next XBox will also be pretty big.

They're a continuation of what's been out for awhile. What I mean is that there are no signs of major technological breakthroughs in the short term (2019-21) that will shake up society and change the culture. The iPhone was introduced in 2007, but it took until roughly 2011/12 for smartphones to become dominant to the point of changing the culture. Driver-less cars are anticipated to be that major change, but they're years away from fully impacting society.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/10/18 at 3:17 pm

I would have figured that 2019 could be a big year for technology.

The past two "boar/pig" years were definitely big when it came to technology:
1995 gave us Windows 95
2007 gave us the iPhone.

I think that #Infinity was the one who knew about this first.

Written By: John Titor on 12/10/18 at 3:20 pm

In terms of fashion a big change is already happening I listed some photos from the 2019 runways in the 2019 preview thread
that will be in effect even more global when stores like Zara & Forever 21 make their own stripped down versions of the runways as they always do.

It will take around 6 months to a year for big Chains like Zara & Forever 21 to adopt to these changes.

- No more skinny jeans
- Big shoulders
-Yellow 
-Metallics
- No hipster influence
-stripes
-Biker shorts
-Capris
- athleisure is dead
-Clear bags
- Neon colors including yellow/orange
-Exposed back
- Butterfly tops

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/18 at 12:56 pm

The 2000's were the beginning of the internet.
You will find the Internet started as early as the 1960s. You are probably thinking the Tim Berners Lee and his invention of the World Wide Web in 1990?

From: https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet

"The first workable prototype of the Internet came in the late 1960s with the creation of ARPANET, or the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network. Originally funded by the U.S. Department of Defense, ARPANET used packet switching to allow multiple computers to communicate on a single network. The technology continued to grow in the 1970s after scientists Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf developed Transmission Control Protocol and Internet Protocol, or TCP/IP, a communications model that set standards for how data could be transmitted between multiple networks. ARPANET adopted TCP/IP on January 1, 1983, and from there researchers began to assemble the “network of networks” that became the modern Internet. The online world then took on a more recognizable form in 1990, when computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. While it’s often confused with the Internet itself, the web is actually just the most common means of accessing data online in the form of websites and hyperlinks. The web helped popularize the Internet among the public, and served as a crucial step in developing the vast trove of information that most of us now access on a daily basis."

Written By: bchris02 on 12/11/18 at 3:38 pm

The things that I talked about regarding 2012's politics are all the "backbone" of the politics that took place during the years that followed.

I agree with this.  2012 pretty much set up the social climate we've had in the years since.  Liberals initially had the momentum but with the 2016 election and resurgence of the Christian Right, conservatives now have the advantage.  I am very ready for this era to be over.

Written By: wixness on 12/11/18 at 3:55 pm

I agree with this.  2012 pretty much set up the social climate we've had in the years since.  Liberals initially had the momentum but with the 2016 election and resurgence of the Christian Right, conservatives now have the advantage.  I am very ready for this era to be over.

So am I. I believe that the gendered fashion and the bland music set up the social climate we've had - the conservatives seemed to be having the power all along. I don't get why people who are LGBT-friendly and would also consider themselves feminists would all dress in a masculine manner while condemning misogyny, and I don't get why the same people, who may have resentment towards the Christian right, would listen to music that the Christian right would enjoy (provided they either don't speak English and/or they don't watch the music videos) and dress in a neater manner as well (when the edgy emo looks of the previous decade were condemned for being "satanic" among the more religious and "freaky" by general members of the population).

9/11, the wars and an economic recession did leave people sick of this decade. I wish they didn't use this or whatever else as an excuse to praise the gendered fashion and the bland music of this decade because the politics of this decade are just as bad, if not worse. If they're not gonna compare politics, then I'd at least like them to compare the music and fashion.

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 9:58 pm

well the economic recession  in 2008 started it

Check for new replies or respond here...