inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2013-2014 school year.

Written By: mc98 on 12/03/18 at 11:03 am

I'm very nostalgic about school years from 2010-2017. The year I'm very nostalgic the most is the 2013-2014 school year. This is the year when I entered high school.

This was the last year where there were some electropop hits such as Applause, Burn, Neon Lights, Slow Down, Timber, The Fox. You also had indie hits such as Royals, Safe and Sound, Best Day of My Life, Counting Stars, Pompeii, and Let Her Go, it's basically hipster paradise in this year. Miley Cyrus was acting crazy this year, everyone said they missed the old Miley. One Direction fever was absolutely big this year. EDM was big this year with Wake Me Up, Animals (Martin Garrix), and Turn Down For What.

You have mid 10s stuff like Vine and Snapchat exploding in popularity. Selfies was a mania this year, there was even a song literally called #Selfie.

You can't escape hearing songs such as "Happy", it was everywhere at the time. Frozen was a phenomenon this year, I got Let It Go stuck in my head back in Spring 2014, it was annoying. Flappy Bird was also a huge craze of the year, I remember people getting mad over the game lol.

This school year was a transitional time where early 10s stuff were lingering around and mid 10s stuff were spreading like wildfire. I remember where many girls still had the bangs hair and the guys had long hair, I don't remember seeing undercuts, the guys started wearing them in the 2014-2015 school year.

Politically, it still had the moderate feel of the early 10s where you don't hear about the SJW vs Alt-Right drama, BLM didn't make headlines, and Donald Trump was irrelevant.

What do you guys think about this school/college year?

Subject: Re: 2013-2014 school year.

Written By: mc98 on 12/03/18 at 11:26 am

Easily my worst year ever, it was a complete nightmare that ended badly.

Pop culturally also the most annoying and repetitive year this decade. There you go

What is your best school year?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/03/18 at 3:36 pm

It was the first year everyone was using Instagram, Snapchat. This was also when I stopped going to the video store and just streaming movies instead. Katy Perry was once again everywhere. The 2013/4 summer was alot of fun though.

Written By: duenas8 on 12/03/18 at 4:45 pm

This is the core 2010’s period IMO. I was senior in high school and those years had a very energetic vibe, with the rise of weed, EDM parties with neon stuff, Harlem Shake, etc.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/03/18 at 5:24 pm

I was well beyond school by then, but the second half of 2013 and the first half of 2014 was easily the worst part of the worst era of my life.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/03/18 at 5:25 pm

2013 is the year I started university. It was alright.

I couldn't really say what my best school year was. High school was pretty awful for the most part.

Written By: 2001 on 12/03/18 at 5:31 pm

Has it been 5 years already?! Damn. It was my third year in university. I believe the Apple Watch was announced that year and Blackberry was quickly falling out of fashion, and I (an Android fan) had a kick out of teasing my Apple/Blackberry fanboy friends. :P

Written By: mc98 on 12/03/18 at 6:08 pm

This is the core 2010’s period IMO. I was senior in high school and those years had a very energetic vibe, with the rise of weed, EDM parties with neon stuff, Harlem Shake, etc.

Harlem Shake is in the 2012-2013 school year.

Also, it's another peak year for Minecraft.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/05/18 at 1:21 pm

I'm very nostalgic about school years from 2010-2017. The year I'm very nostalgic the most is the 2013-2014 school year. This is the year when I entered high school.

This was the last year where there were some electropop hits such as Applause, Burn, Neon Lights, Slow Down, Timber, The Fox. You also had indie hits such as Royals, Safe and Sound, Best Day of My Life, Counting Stars, Pompeii, and Let Her Go, it's basically hipster paradise in this year. Miley Cyrus was acting crazy this year, everyone said they missed the old Miley. One Direction fever was absolutely big this year. EDM was big this year with Wake Me Up, Animals (Martin Garrix), and Turn Down For What.

You have mid 10s stuff like Vine and Snapchat exploding in popularity. Selfies was a mania this year, there was even a song literally called #Selfie.

You can't escape hearing songs such as "Happy", it was everywhere at the time. Frozen was a phenomenon this year, I got Let It Go stuck in my head back in Spring 2014, it was annoying. Flappy Bird was also a huge craze of the year, I remember people getting mad over the game lol.

This school year was a transitional time where early 10s stuff were lingering around and mid 10s stuff were spreading like wildfire. I remember where many girls still had the bangs hair and the guys had long hair, I don't remember seeing undercuts, the guys started wearing them in the 2014-2015 school year.

Politically, it still had the moderate feel of the early 10s where you don't hear about the SJW vs Alt-Right drama, BLM didn't make headlines, and Donald Trump was irrelevant.

That whole thing started with the Isla Vista rampage that took place in May of 2014.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/05/18 at 1:34 pm

I can't understand being nostalgic for something that just happened 5 years ago.

I'm nostalgic for that sentence I just typed.  Now I'm nostalgic for that one.  Now that one.  OMG I miss that last sentence I just typed.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 12/05/18 at 2:55 pm

I can't understand being nostalgic for something that just happened 5 years ago.

I'm nostalgic for that sentence I just typed.  Now I'm nostalgic for that one.  Now that one.  OMG I miss that last sentence I just typed.

Age is a factor. The reason people miss the early 2010s is because some people were kids & teens back then.

Written By: mc98 on 12/05/18 at 4:35 pm

That whole thing started with the Isla Vista rampage that took place in May of 2014.

Still, the 2013-2014 school year was mostly moderate politically.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/05/18 at 5:21 pm

These kinds of topics makes me feel old, I haven’t thought of time in terms of school years in like what 14 years now.  :o

As for the time period in question I was 26-27 back then, it was less tense politically at least. I still listened to some popular music back then. Now I’m just a typical out of touch 30 something and I have no clue or care of current trends. Yeah I might be a little nostalgic in a sense but yeah it’s way too recent still.

Written By: wixness on 12/05/18 at 5:39 pm

To me this was the start of my resentment for mainstream pop culture. The pop music sounded bland and the fashion got really gendered now that emo just died. The only thing I liked was the politics and some of the tech I guess. I want the 2000s back.

I wish I didn't know how Timber went. It sounded awful. Avicii's music sounds too subdued as hell. Happy sounded annoying. Royals and Counting Stars also sounded bland. It's as if religious fundamentalists who didn't speak English took over the music industry, but then again, people thought that music from last decade I think were babyish and manufactured and they didn't want their music to sound like commercial trash even though it is.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/05/18 at 6:18 pm

These kinds of topics makes me feel old, I haven’t thought of time in terms of school years in like what 14 years now.  :o

As for the time period in question I was 26-27 back then, it was less tense politically at least. I still listened to some popular music back then. Now I’m just a typical out of touch 30 something and I have no clue or care of current trends. Yeah I might be a little nostalgic in a sense but yeah it’s way too recent still.

You're only 31 Brian, barely a 30something at all.  ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/05/18 at 6:41 pm

You're only 31 Brian, barely a 30something at all.  ;)

Yeah only early 30 something but still don’t like current environment right now though.  ;D

Written By: John Titor on 12/05/18 at 8:18 pm

To me this was the start of my resentment for mainstream pop culture. The pop music sounded bland and the fashion got really gendered now that emo just died. The only thing I liked was the politics and some of the tech I guess. I want the 2000s back.

I wish I didn't know how Timber went. It sounded awful. Avicii's music sounds too subdued as hell. Happy sounded annoying. Royals and Counting Stars also sounded bland. It's as if religious fundamentalists who didn't speak English took over the music industry, but then again, people thought that music from last decade I think were babyish and manufactured and they didn't want their music to sound like commercial trash even though it is.

2009 was the last year you would see emo

Written By: mc98 on 12/05/18 at 8:38 pm

2009 was the last year you would see emo

Didn't scene replace emo at the time?

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/05/18 at 9:28 pm

Didn't scene replace emo at the time?

Same difference

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/18 at 12:01 am

2013 - 2014 feels quite separated from today, am I the only one who thinks this? Like it feels like a different "time", not "dated" but just very removed from today. I remember that was the year Ellen was hosting the Oscars and she did that mass selfie and posted it on Twitter. I remember that was the school year when I first heard of Snap Chat. Snap Chat really started to take off in early 2014 and it was considered "the latest thing". Eminem released his album MMLP2 that year too, he got some radio play with his song by Rihanna. I also remember Lorde was huge. Sam Smith got popular later in that school year in spring. Pharell was big and so was John Legend. Miley Cyrus was still popular and she was still sticking her tongue out on photos and in her "crazy phase", especially when she released that video when she was naked on that wrecking ball. There also wasn't that much trap on the radio yet, I feel like that really took off in the summer of 2014. It existed yes and it was around but not constantly on the radio, nowhere near like how it is today. The hipster movement was HUGE that school year, I remember that quite well. Music was full of indie songs and ballads. Imagine Dragons, Lorde, OneRepublic, John Legend, Sam Smith. A lot of hipster sounding songs were playing on the radio too (Lorde). Some generic electronic pop was popular too and throwback-style like "Happy". So that school year was a mix of ballads, indie, hipster, and generic pop. That's also the school year when the transgender woman won Eurovision. The whole social justice movement was still very big and there wasn't that much conservative backlash yet. Smartphones, VR, Smart Watches, and other tech gadgets were actually cool, new and exciting still and they weren't boring like today. Feels like a fairly long time ago now looking back. I was still trying to find out what I wanted to do in life, I remember I was taking upgrading courses and still working my old sales job. I wouldn't say I'm super nostalgic but it does bring back some memories.

Written By: mc98 on 12/10/18 at 12:53 pm

2013 - 2014 feels quite separated from today, am I the only one who thinks this? Like it feels like a different "time", not "dated" but just very removed from today. I remember that was the year Ellen was hosting the Oscars and she did that mass selfie and posted it on Twitter. I remember that was the school year when I first heard of Snap Chat. Snap Chat really started to take off in early 2014 and it was considered "the latest thing". Eminem released his album MMLP2 that year too, he got some radio play with his song by Rihanna. I also remember Lorde was huge. Sam Smith got popular later in that school year in spring. Pharell was big and so was John Legend. Miley Cyrus was still popular and she was still sticking her tongue out on photos and in her "crazy phase", especially when she released that video when she was naked on that wrecking ball. There also wasn't that much trap on the radio yet, I feel like that really took off in the summer of 2014. It existed yes and it was around but not constantly on the radio, nowhere near like how it is today. The hipster movement was HUGE that school year, I remember that quite well. Music was full of indie songs and ballads. Imagine Dragons, Lorde, OneRepublic, John Legend, Sam Smith. A lot of hipster sounding songs were playing on the radio too (Lorde). Some generic electronic pop was popular too and throwback-style like "Happy". So that school year was a mix of ballads, indie, hipster, and generic pop. That's also the school year when the transgender woman won Eurovision. The whole social justice movement was still very big and there wasn't that much conservative backlash yet. Smartphones, VR, Smart Watches, and other tech gadgets were actually cool, new and exciting still and they weren't boring like today. Feels like a fairly long time ago now looking back. I was still trying to find out what I wanted to do in life, I remember I was taking upgrading courses and still working my old sales job. I wouldn't say I'm super nostalgic but it does bring back some memories.

Yeah, it may not feel very dated but 2013-2014 felt very different from today.

Written By: Dundee on 12/11/18 at 2:07 am

Tbh this thread would be nice with some mood photos a la John Titor. Even though this was far from my best year, I'm not against some High School memories :)

Written By: Dundee on 12/11/18 at 2:11 am

And oh yeah fun fact: the oldest high schoolers nowadays were the youngest middle schoolers during this school year. A whole new cycle of teenage :D!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/11/18 at 2:35 am

Oh yeah the movie Frozen was huge this school year too.

Written By: wixness on 12/11/18 at 4:13 pm

Aside from the social justice warrior stuff which I find myself to be somewhat partial to, I abhor much of this decade, with the bland indie music being a big part of the reason for this. I also hate how the fashion became more conservative and gender conforming as well with the guys wearing their hair short.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 12/11/18 at 10:17 pm

And oh yeah fun fact: the oldest high schoolers nowadays were the youngest middle schoolers during this school year. A whole new cycle of teenage :D!

Yup, and I'm one of them! ;) Its definitely shocking to see not only how much I've changed but also how much pop culture and politics have changed.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/18 at 5:20 am

Clap along if you like a room without a roof!

That reminds me that the Xbox One and PS4 came out this year, and the Xbox One had its two months of relevancy with that Just France game. I don't think I've heard of the Xbox since (sorry fanboys it's true). ;D

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 10:02 pm

was not in school but this felt like a change year

Check for new replies or respond here...