inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else 25+ not care to follow fashion trends anymore? (for those who did)

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/18 at 9:39 am

I kind of realized this over the course of the past two or three years, but chasing fashion trends is a huge waste of money, and a lot of the stuff doesn't even look good (e.g. ripped jeans).

I had all these Aeropostale/American Eagle and neon clothes in my closet from the late 2000s/early 2010s that look an absolute eyesore today, and a lot of colourful plaid shirts from the mid-2010s that look all sorts of washed up and outdated. I feel ashamed for wasting so much on things that were hot for just 2 or 3 years.  :-[

I've redone my wardrobe, and stuck to the classics such as wool sweaters, button-up shirts, polos, dark blue jeans and various colour chinois, leather boots and shoes that you can either dress up or dress down etc. and I find my style is 10x more kickass than it ever was when I was chasing trends.

The old clothes I decided to keep? I had a full on metrosexual (as we called it back then) phase when I was teen. Despite buying a lot of these clothes at 14/15, they still look great on me as a 25 (almost 26) year old, which drives my point home :o

Athleisure and blocky clothes trends are huge right now, and I feel wise in saying that I will be skipping out on them. When I go to the stores, I see $120 sweatpants!! It's ridiculous, when you can get $40 dark blue jeans from Levi's that will still look beautiful 10 years from now. Those sweatpants will look sloppy in 5 years time max, likely earlier (honestly it's not as if they're classy even right now).

One trend that I did give into though was jean jackets. I have hard time seeing them go out of style, and wonder why they ever did in the first place ;D (I think it's because people bought matching Jean jackets and jeans, which does indeed look silly). They're perfect for those mild spring/fall days.

Subject: Re: Anyone else 25+ not care to follow fashion trends anymore? (for those who did)

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/12/18 at 10:03 am

Nah. I don't follow them anymore either. I only tried to IN the 2000s when I was younger that give it exciting appeal. I don't even keep my hair faded since I have a Mohawk that looks badass over time and traditionally wear basketball shorts and muscle shirts or a long sleeve shirt to match the color. I f with black or gray sweatpants. I like gray shoes, shorts and shirts in general.

Subject: Re: Anyone else 25+ not care to follow fashion trends anymore? (for those who did)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/18 at 10:06 am

I never wear anything modern, I am old hat in my fashion of clothing, and I wish to wear what I want.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/12/18 at 10:17 am

I was a big fan of skinny jeans and plaid shirts. Still am. I have no interest in this oversized clothing trend.

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/12/18 at 10:59 am

I stopped caring after high school.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/18 at 1:48 pm

When I was a teenager, I was mostly a T-shirt and jeans kind of person but now that I'm all grown up so these days I will stick with wearing button-down short/long sleeved shirts (Polo, Izod and BHPC) and sometimes dress pants with black dress shoes/loafers.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/12/18 at 3:07 pm

I prefer to stay fashionable enough to look decent and at least somewhat up to date, but I don't care about staying on top of the latest trends or having the most expensive clothes.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/12/18 at 6:26 pm

I thought that hipster was always in for you.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/12/18 at 8:32 pm

I've been updating my look a little recently but I'm not feeling a lot of what fashion is transforming into. I never cared for athleisure and despite being a decade wide trend, it's almost too big this year especially with the ADIDAS explosion. A ton of sites are now promoting color block clothes. There's some good stuff out there but it definitely looks like it'll go out of date by the mid 2020s.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/13/18 at 7:36 am

I think I should also mention that my sister is 32 and although I'm not sure if she keeps up to date with the latest trends, she is very fashionable, you'll never see her leave the house without dressing to impress. I feel like most women in their early 30s, at least these days, dress pretty similarly to women in their early 20s. I consider 30s young still (let alone 25) so there's no reason why you should reach a certain age and just stop caring.

The gorgeous Holly Willoughby is 37 and always looks very fashionable..

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/X1fdKtUfPyAHooZsV7oh5w--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/629fc0fa4380d6e77d84e703f6cb7e78

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/13/18 at 3:22 pm

I used to dress super casual in athletic pants, jeans, hoodies, and t-shirts. Now I own some skirts, dresses, fashion boots, jeans that fit better, and just wear the athletic pants and lounge pants around the house. With the current trends not all of them would be flattering, or age appropriate, so I'll wear what I think I look good in. I'm no fashionista by any stretch of the imagination either.

Check for new replies or respond here...