inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2014-2015 school year.

Written By: mc98 on 12/14/18 at 9:34 am

This is the year where I was a Sophomore in high school and it was the best year I've ever had. Not only this year was peak Mid '10s but it was the peak of all things 2010s.

Firstly, the music was mostly pop, not electropop but pop nonetheless. Taylor Swift reached her enormous peak with her 1989 album. Other pop artists that did well were Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, Ed Sheeran, Maroon 5, and Sam Smith. You also heard of retro throwback hits such as Uptown Funk, Want To Want Me, and Shut Up and Dance. The Weeknd became the new thing after when he was featured in an Ariana Grande song. I remember when many people were shocked from the Anaconda music video lol. It was a sad year for One Direction fans when Zayn left the group during the second semester.

This was the first year for Trap to rise up the charts with Rae Sremmurd, Young Thug, Future, and Fetty Wap. Even back then, the trap sounded different compared to today's Trap. There was also DJ Mustard style beats that was big this year such as Post To Be, IDFWU, Somebody, and Don't Tell Em.

For social media, this was the best year for Snapchat and Instagram when it had the classic look. This was also a peak year for Vine where you had the Deez Nuts and whipping dance videos that was being spewed out by everyone. Speaking of memes and viral stuff, you had things like The Dress, Ice Bucket Challenge, Left Shark from the Katy Perry Halftime Performance, and Alex From Target. FNAF was also a big phenomenon

Hipster reached it's peak this year. This was the year when undercuts blew up, especially around Summer 2015.

Politically, it was very divisive with the Gamergate drama, Police Brutality, and ISIS. It was pretty tame compared to today's politics. Donald Trump was irrelevant this year until mid June.

Subject: Re: 2014-2015 school year.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/14/18 at 11:23 am

My second year of university. The terror attacks in Paris that year spring to mind, ushering in a year or two of semi-frequent terror attacks in Western Europe.

Written By: Dundee on 12/14/18 at 5:59 pm

Firstly, the music was mostly pop, not electropop but pop nonetheless.
The dominating style was Synth Pop (well in 2015 at least), it's more serious, colder, sparser and less abrasive than Electropop.

Also, Tropical House was popularized that year with Justin Bieber's comeback quickly followed by the "Cheerleader" song.

Written By: mc98 on 12/14/18 at 6:38 pm

The dominating style was Synth Pop (well in 2015 at least), it's more serious, colder, sparser and less abrasive than Electropop.

Also, Tropical House was popularized that year with Justin Bieber's comeback quickly followed by the "Cheerleader" song.

You're talking about "Where Are U Now", right?

Written By: Dundee on 12/15/18 at 7:05 am

You're talking about "Where Are U Now", right?
I was talking about his Purpose era. "Where Are Ü Now" while big and interesting due to how Skrillex abandonned his Brostep/Dubstep for Trap, was quickly overshadowed by JB's two subsequent massive hits.

Written By: mc98 on 12/15/18 at 8:53 am

I was talking about his Purpose era. "Where Are Ü Now" while big and interesting due to how Skrillex abandonned his Brostep/Dubstep for Trap, was quickly overshadowed by JB's two subsequent massive hits.

The Purpose era defined the 2015-2016 school year.

Written By: Milk on 12/15/18 at 3:26 pm

I hated that school year so much. Worst year of my life I was so depressed.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/18 at 1:59 pm

This school year is when a chunk of changes happened this decade. The big recession happened. Gas prices reached record lows in December of that year, and the oil and gas industry started tanking. It's never been the same since that school year, the recession was worse than in '09. This employees at this O&G company I worked in the summer said in 2013 - 2014 they had so much money and it was pretty much a buffet of free food for employees everyday, this is when the industry was at its peak and oil an gas was thriving. And this summer when I worked there it's nothing like that anymore. The 2014 - 2015 school year is when the vibe really changed. This is why I always say this decade is a split decade with 2015 being the force that changes things. You started to see the tension build up in late 2014. People no longer had disposable income, people went on less vacations, more and more people were constantly looking for jobs. Both my parents had jobs in late 2014 and we went on a trip to Cuba in late 2014 with no problems and a couple months after both got laid off and were looking for jobs. It was a disaster. Not to mention in May of this school year, we had a change in government to the NDP which brought a change. And the following school year the federal election brought a change too with liberal winning. This school year was definitely a turning point. In terms of music, you still had some of the classic 2010s music still pretty popular but you also had a mix of the new of some songs we hear today of trap music and EDM. Of course trap in late '14 was still different compared to today, which is more about mumbling now.

2014 - 2015 was probably the most transitional school year of the decade overall.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/18 at 2:04 pm

Yeah it was around 2015 - 2016 when we started hearing the style and genre of music exactly like it is today. Justin Bieber was following the EDM recipe when the trend started getting popular, and then the Chainsmokers exploding with popularity in 2016 pretty much sealed the deal.

Written By: John Titor on 12/16/18 at 2:16 pm

This school year is when a chunk of changes happened this decade. The big recession happened. Gas prices reached record lows in December of that year, and the oil and gas industry started tanking. It's never been the same since that school year, the recession was worse than in '09. This employees at this O&G company I worked in the summer said in 2013 - 2014 they had so much money and it was pretty much a buffet of free food for employees everyday, this is when the industry was at its peak and oil an gas was thriving. And this summer when I worked there it's nothing like that anymore. The 2014 - 2015 school year is when the vibe really changed. This is why I always say this decade is a split decade with 2015 being the force that changes things. You started to see the tension build up in late 2014. People no longer had disposable income, people went on less vacations, more and more people were constantly looking for jobs. Both my parents had jobs in late 2014 and we went on a trip to Cuba in late 2014 with no problems and a couple months after both got laid off and were looking for jobs. It was a disaster. Not to mention in May of this school year, we had a change in government to the NDP which brought a change. And the following school year the federal election brought a change too with liberal winning. This school year was definitely a turning point. In terms of music, you still had some of the classic 2010s music still pretty popular but you also had a mix of the new of some songs we hear today of trap music and EDM. Of course trap in late '14 was still different compared to today, which is more about mumbling now.

2014 - 2015 was probably the most transitional school year of the decade overall.

for Canada, USA was not like this

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/18 at 2:24 pm

for Canada, USA was not like this

Yes in Canada that's how it was like here.

Written By: mc98 on 12/17/18 at 1:50 pm

Yeah it was around 2015 - 2016 when we started hearing the style and genre of music exactly like it is today. Justin Bieber was following the EDM recipe when the trend started getting popular, and then the Chainsmokers exploding with popularity in 2016 pretty much sealed the deal.

I may disagree on that. While 2015-2016 may be politcally the same as today, but as for music, there are differences. I think the 2016-2017 school year started the many trends of today, especially around early 2017. Justin Bieber's style of EDM is no longer a thing and The Chainsmokers sound different today compared to the stuff they put out in 2016. Mumble rap was definitely thing since the 2014-2015 school year but Future and Young Thug were the only ones doing it. You're probably talking about the clout/emo Soundcloud aesthetic that many rappers are hopping on since 2017. The 2015-2016 school year was mostly mid/classic 10s with a little hint of late 10s being born imo. The music was still mostly pop mixed with EDM, 21 Pilots, and Future-esque Trap. Many people thought Donald Trump will never win in that time. Again, I respect your opinion.

Written By: Dundee on 12/17/18 at 4:30 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot we were talking about a school year and not a normal year here...

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/18/18 at 2:19 pm

My first year of college! Drank and partied a lot that school year so have gaps in my memory! But I have a feeling you're right when you say it was peak 10's.

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 9:56 pm

2014 was dark in the second half

Check for new replies or respond here...