inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Social Media in the 2010s

Written By: exodus08 on 12/15/18 at 6:01 pm

Do you think that Social Media has changed people like Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook & Twitter? Like bringing the worst out of somone? and Will it have a big backlash in the 20's?

Subject: Re: Social Media in the 2010s

Written By: John Titor on 12/15/18 at 6:12 pm

Do you think that Social Media has changed people like Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook & Twitter? Like bringing the worst out of somone? and Will it have a big backlash in the 20's?

already  made a thread on this

and yes and backlash is already happening
social media is down for the first time in 7 years for usage

Written By: wixness on 12/15/18 at 7:08 pm

I think it's just gotten more and more cancerous. Places like Discord, Reddit and YouTube have amplified some extremist and highly conservative views that may not fit in today's progressive culture, not to mention YouTube just being an excuse to make money. It's best if people were less decentralized in terms of what places they went to or went on platforms they had more control over, like here or Mastodon.

Written By: exodus08 on 12/15/18 at 7:30 pm

I think it's just gotten more and more cancerous. Places like Discord, Reddit and YouTube have amplified some extremist and highly conservative views that may not fit in today's progressive culture, not to mention YouTube just being an excuse to make money. It's best if people were less decentralized in terms of what places they went to or went on platforms they had more control over, like here or Mastodon.

When I think Conservative I think of 1950s family values and going to church.ect but these people on YouTube, Reddit & Discord are just throwing the word and I don't think they know the meaning. They just need an excuse to trash talk without giving an example on why they're conservative.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/15/18 at 7:59 pm

When I think Conservative I think of 1950s family values and going to church.ect but these people on YouTube, Reddit & Discord are just throwing the word and I don't think they know the meaning. They just need an excuse to trash talk without giving an example on why they're conservative.

You are correct. Those people are not true conservatives, in the sense of maybe a "Goldwater Republican" from the days of yore, for example. They're simply reactionaries and extremists. The words "liberal" and "conservative" have become polluted and meaningless. Some liberals now are among the most intolerant people extant. College campuses have repressive speech codes and dissenting views are shouted down and not tolerated.

Written By: exodus08 on 12/15/18 at 8:14 pm

You are correct. Those people are not true conservatives, in the sense of maybe a "Goldwater Republican" from the days of yore, for example. They're simply reactionaries and extremists. The words "liberal" and "conservative" have become polluted and meaningless. Some liberals now are among the most intolerant people extant. College campuses have repressive speech codes and dissenting views are shouted down and not tolerated.

So True! It's kind of sad. Extremism in politics from both sides is now the norm that I'm scared for our future.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/15/18 at 8:14 pm

I'm all for that kind of decentralization. If Facebook and Twitter specifically were to cease to exist right now I wouldn't shed a tear, and, believe me, the world would keep right on spinning.

Written By: duenas8 on 12/15/18 at 11:40 pm

Maybe there will be a point in the 2020’s when we get tired of all this toxic discussions, trolls, haters, etc. And things will finally get more positive, instead of the negative culture which characterized the 2010’s about only hating each other.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/18 at 7:35 am

People are starting to hate Facebook from what I learn from talking to people, maybe it's the posting of too many photos to share online for the whole world to see.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/18 at 7:38 am

People are starting to hate Facebook from what I learn from talking to people, maybe it's the posting of too many photos to share online for the whole world to see.
I am not hating FB, but I do look at it less now.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/18 at 1:32 pm

I guess some people need Twitter and Instagram to upload photos and such.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/18 at 3:51 pm

I guess some people need Twitter and Instagram to upload photos and such.
Do you have to pay for the use of Twitter?

Written By: Howard on 12/17/18 at 7:20 am

Do you have to pay for the use of Twitter?

No, Twitter I believe is free.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/17/18 at 8:24 am

Since Facebook and Twitter started charging $19,99 a month like AOL does, not as many people use it!  We already pay so much for Instagram and Facebook, why pay for those 2?  I'll just continue using it.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/18 at 9:59 am

Since Facebook and Twitter started charging $19,99 a month like AOL does, not as many people use it!  We already pay so much for Instagram and Facebook, why pay for those 2?  I'll just continue using it.

Sign me up for this future (although I loved Twitter before Nazis and ISIS started using it).

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/17/18 at 2:33 pm

The internet already brought out the worst in people even before the social media explosion.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/18 at 2:36 pm

The internet already brought out the worst in people even before the social media explosion.

and with the explosion of people posting selfies too.

Check for new replies or respond here...