inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else misses Electropop? (2008-2012)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/30/18 at 1:36 am

Not gonna lie, the 2013 to Mid 2018 Era was good, but I just miss the Late 2000s/Early 2010s so much, I could almost say it’s better than today.

But back to the question, who else misses the days of Kesha, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, etc? Because 2008-2012 felt like a rave era full of neon colors, with Electropop stuck in your head, with those upbeat synths, which motivated you to either go shopping at malls, or have parties started, and turn up the electronic music, can range from Kesha, to LMFAO, to Lady Gaga, and much more. With your friends over, you would dance a lot and go crazy with drinks flying in the sky. It just felt so upbeat, and motivating when you listen to songs like DJ got us falling in love, Blow, Born this way, Don’t wake me up, etc. I know this is ironic, but despite the Great Recession, at least electropop is what helped them not worry about the economy (Other genres work too, but electropop was the dominant one). It was one hell of a rave scene, with Disco lights flashing on walls, with the amazing motivating music.

I know I seem like I’m mourning the past, I like the present, I just like looking back. All eras are good, not gonna lie, you can hate me for liking the 2013-18 era, but I also like the 2008-2012 era. No eras are bad, it’s just your opinion.

Subject: Re: Who else misses Electropop? (2008-2012)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/30/18 at 1:53 am

I certainly don't. 95% of the Electropop songs which were popular back then were rubbish, IMO. The only Electropop songs which I actually don't mind are "Bad Romance" and "Edge of Glory", although Lady Gaga's songs in general weren't that bad really.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/30/18 at 1:57 am

Aww, I see. How were they rubbish though if they motivated people in the late 00s/early 10s?

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 1:07 pm

It was a false era, If you were to look back at pics everything was neon and dance poppy, but behind the scenes people were worried
about what store would close next, I remember visiting RCA in 2009 asking is Kesha really like that and everyone told me
"no its just an act, she hardly drinks and likes country music"

The pretense of most early 2010s acts, Gaga, Taio Cruz, Katy Perry is  built upon an artificial illusion.

Katy Perry-  Sang christian rock, and changed her tune to get more radio plays

Lady Gaga - Did anything to be famous, was a good singer, but she would wonder around New Jersey begging for tv extra roles.
Everything was to boost her self esteem. Not as authentic as you think. I was actually on this street the day this filmed in 2005.

8kL-RL--QBw

Taio Cruz - Lived an introverted lifestyle, despite having lyrics going to the club and getting wasted.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/30/18 at 1:18 pm

Not really. Electropop got annoying after a while. I was ready for something different by 2012.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/30/18 at 1:37 pm

I remember visiting RCA in 2009 asking is Kesha really like that and everyone told me
"no its just an act, she hardly drinks and likes country music"

I mean.. isn't that kind of normal? Celebrities have always had false personas.

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/18 at 1:51 pm

I love electropop! It's better as an underground genre though IMO. ;)

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/30/18 at 2:04 pm

I definitely do. I don't care if the Great Recession was happening. I had a blast during those years. I feel very lucky that I was in my social prime (so far) at the time.

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 2:22 pm

I mean.. isn't that kind of normal? Celebrities have always had false personas.

Not to everyone else, anyone else I told that story to thought I was lying.

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 8:53 pm

I love electropop! It's better as an underground genre though IMO. ;)
;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/30/18 at 10:06 pm

Those were the prime years of my youth. Of course I miss it :\'(

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 9:59 pm

it was good

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 7:52 am

It was great in its context, and 2011-2012 had some legitimate good to great hit songs.

I honestly don't really consider 2008 as electropop as I mostly remember the year for songs like "Low", "Bleeding Love", "Viva La Vida", "I Kissed a Girl", "Single Ladies" and "Apologize".

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/19 at 11:58 am

It was great in its context, and 2011-2012 had some legitimate good to great hit songs.

I honestly don't really consider 2008 as electropop as I mostly remember the year for songs like "Low", "Bleeding Love", "Viva La Vida", "I Kissed a Girl", "Single Ladies" and "Apologize".

2008 had some like Chris Brown's Forever

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/05/19 at 1:41 pm

I can relate, I miss it badly! That was in and of itself an individual era with a distinct atmosphere. My personal life was amazing to go with it, so many friends/accomplishments/opportunities in those years for me and most of all I was just happy. That was probably when I felt I was living my life to its fullest. Even though things are good now as well though for me.

The music was fun and the atmosphere seemed slightly less heavy despite the economy.

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 1:47 pm

2008 had some like Chris Brown's Forever
That's not really an electropop song. Sounds like a cross between R&B and European dance music from the mid-2000s.

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/19 at 1:58 pm

That's not really an electropop song. Sounds like a cross between R&B and European dance music from the mid-2000s.

2008 Electropop songs

Lady Gaga feat Colby Odonnis & Akon  - Just Dance
La Roux -quicksand
Colby Odonnis - What you got(Released in Feb 2008, BEFORE Gaga became a presence)
Lady Gaga -Eh Eh
Koushik, Lying in the Sun
Air France, Collapsing at Your Doorstep
Martina Topley-Bird, Phoenix
The Black Ghosts, Full Moon
Nightmares on Wax, 195LBS.
The Notwist (Panda Bear Remix), Boneless
Tobacco, Hairy Candy
Lemonade, Sunchips
Raised By Robots, I Love You/U Luv Me 2
Starf**ker, Florida
Rafter, Juicy
Cut Copy,Lights & Music
Nightmares On Wax,Da Feelin
Rainbow Arabia, Omar K
Lady Gaga - Poker Face
Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
Britney Spears - Circus

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 2:08 pm

You're making no real point by naming completely forgotten songs, how many of them were hits to begin with :P?
Electropop existed obviously long time before 2008 and crossed a bit here and there as influence through some songs (Timbaland for instance with "SexyBack"). But Lady Gaga made the real, pure thing cool again :D.

There was also Britney Spears testing the waters in 2007 before going back to typical dance productions in 2008.
u4FF6MpcsRw

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/19 at 2:09 pm

You're making no real point by naming completely forgotten songs, how many of them were hits to begin with :P?
Electropop existed obviously long time before 2008 and crossed a bit here and there as influence through some songs (Timbaland for instance with "SexyBack"). But Lady Gaga made the real, pure thing cool again.

There was also Britney Spears testing the waters in 2007 before going back to typical dance productions in 2008.
u4FF6MpcsRw

LA ROUX QUICK SAND WAS FORGOTTEN ?
Colby Odonnis the same person that was feat on Just Dance is Forgotten ?

Maybe by you because you were prob 5 then

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/19 at 2:11 pm

Electropop existed obviously long time before 2008 and crossed a bit here and there as influence through some songs (Timbaland for instance with "SexyBack"). But Lady Gaga made the real, pure thing cool again :D.

u4FF6MpcsRw

kErEUhlPoMU

Lbtyif6s9ZA

mVEG793G3N4

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 2:26 pm

La Roux didn't explode until "Bulletproof" though. "Quicksand" doesn't seem to have charted in any country not to mention it's a Synth Pop song, not Electropop. Colby O'Donis has largely been forgotten despite his featuring on "Just Dance", you can go to "Just Dance" video's comments and you will find "Who's Colby O'Donis?" questions with great ease.

Written By: mc98 on 01/05/19 at 2:31 pm

La Roux didn't explode until "Bulletproof" though. "Quicksand" doesn't seem to have charted in any country not to mention it's a Synth Pop song, not Electropop. Colby O'Donis has largely been forgotten despite his featuring on "Just Dance", you can go to "Just Dance" video's comments and you will find "Who's Colby O'Donis?" questions with great ease.

Plus, Just Dance sounds different from the early 2010s electropop songs. It fits more with the late 2000s synth-pop scene.

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/19 at 2:55 pm

La Roux is an electropop artist, synth pop and Electropop are in the same realm

La Roux was  making waves on Myspace at the time, and it did peak at 153 in the UK charts in 2008, but thats because it came out in DECEMBER 2008
the last 3 weeks of 2008, it picked up in 2009 where it charted.

For Colby People in 2019 forget artists in the 80 but then when they hear it they go OHHH YEAH I remember that hit, just because YOU forgot
it does not mean it was not electropop, just because that artist retired does not dis credit the song for what it is. Your logic makes no sense.
Just because you FORGET a song was a hit does not mean it did not make waves.

BTW Hot& Cold is an electropop song

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 5:34 am

La Roux is an electropop artist, synth pop and Electropop are in the same realm

La Roux was  making waves on Myspace at the time, and it did peak at 153 in the UK charts in 2008, but thats because it came out in DECEMBER 2008
the last 3 weeks of 2008, it picked up in 2009 where it charted.

For Colby People in 2019 forget artists in the 80 but then when they hear it they go OHHH YEAH I remember that hit, just because YOU forgot
it does not mean it was not electropop, just because that artist retired does not dis credit the song for what it is. Your logic makes no sense.
Just because you FORGET a song was a hit does not mean it did not make waves.

BTW Hot& Cold is an electropop song
Girl Calm the hell down lmao. You keep being defensive and making absolutely ZERO valid points. All I said was that 2008 was mostly pre-electropop and you just proved it since you to STRUGGLE to find anything to probe the contrary, and you really really had to scrap the bottom of the barrel here.
Yes, most of the people don't remember little to nothing of this and most will associate that year with the songs I posted. Because YOU live in your own bubble and believe this and YOU remember those songs, doesn't mean that people in general will remember those. Charts absolutely reflect what people take away in the future. That's 100% a moot point you're making sorry.

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 11:36 am

Girl Calm the hell down lmao. You keep being defensive and making absolutely ZERO valid points. All I said was that 2008 was mostly pre-electropop and you just proved it since you to STRUGGLE to find anything to probe the contrary, and you really really had to scrap the bottom of the barrel here.
Yes, most of the people don't remember little to nothing of this and most will associate that year with the songs I posted. Because YOU live in your own bubble and believe this and YOU remember those songs, doesn't mean that people in general will remember those. Charts absolutely reflect what people take away in the future. That's 100% a moot point you're making sorry.

Gaga - Just Dance

Colby Odonnis  - What you got

Gaga - PokerFace

- Chris brown  - Forever

Katy Perry  - Hot Cold

La Roux - Quick Sand

What you mean not valid those are all electropop..........  if you are like 5 years old in 2008 then yeah you prob don't remember, but almost EVERYONE here remembers the songs I listed, you are just reaching because you didn't win this argument

You are saying I am living in my bubble, Ok lets see what the internet says about ELECTROPOP in 2008

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/104429?page=3

Almost everyone voted 2008 in the poll, so it's not just me

"I think it began around the middle of 2008 and kicked into high gear at the end of the year. 2006 and 2007 were transitional between the crunk era and the electro era."

"^^ Agree.2008 is define by Gaga and the electro pop sound and that change the pop game that year."

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 2:12 pm

Colby Odonnis  - What you got
So forgotten it's never included into "2008 hits" compilations or videos
Also hearing it now that's not Electropop, just very, very typicalcontemporary R&B of the time.

Gaga - PokerFace

I'm pretty sure this one wasn't heard of until it exploded in 2009.

Chris brown  - Forever
Not Electropop

La Roux - Quick Sand
Irrelevant, forgotten song, not Electropop, ...

You are saying I am living in my bubble, Ok lets see what the internet says about ELECTROPOP in 2008

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/104429?page=3

Almost everyone voted 2008 in the poll, so it's not just me

"I think it began around the middle of 2008 and kicked into high gear at the end of the year. 2006 and 2007 were transitional between the crunk era and the electro era."

"^^ Agree.2008 is define by Gaga and the electro pop sound and that change the pop game that year."

Yes began, because Lady Gaga came into the scene like almost everyone in that thread pointed out. That doesn't make 2008 on the whole an Electropop year lol, what kind of logic is this? Also a decent ammount seems to mistake Electropop for general Dance-Pop so I dunno how much credibility should be given.

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 2:41 pm

So forgotten it's never included into "2008 hits" compilations or videos
Also hearing it now that's not Electropop, just very, very typicalcontemporary R&B of the time.
I'm pretty sure this one wasn't heard of until it exploded in 2009.
Not Electropop
Irrelevant, forgotten song, not Electropop, ...
Yes began, because Lady Gaga came into the scene like almost everyone in that thread pointed out. That doesn't make 2008 on the whole an Electropop year lol, what kind of logic is this? Also a decent ammount seems to mistake Electropop for general Dance-Pop so I dunno how much credibility should be given.

Red One a ELECTROPOP producer helped with it, Colby's song is an electropop song with elements of r&b

The Fame came out in 2008, which had the song Pokerface on it ALSO.......

"Poker Face" is a song by American singer Lady Gaga from her debut studio album, The Fame (2008). It was released on September 26, 2008 as the album's second single. ".......... How could no one have heard of the song if it was sent to radios in September/OCtober ? you make no sense

Quick Sand is not a forgotten song, if its forgotten how some Sirus XM keeps playing it on it's 2k station ?

Once again people have been polled on when electropop era started, the people have spoken.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HVeWgD9.png

An era starting starts as its first year, also there were many other electropop hits 1 after another
that constitutes as an electropop year

You lost

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 4:22 pm

Red One a ELECTROPOP producer helped with it, Colby's song is an electropop song with elements of r&b

RedOne produces a variety of genres, ranging from Hip Hop to EDM. He also produced the hit "Whine Up" before that which has nothing to with electropop. The Colby's song has very typical R&B beats and none of Electropop's abrasive synths.

The Fame came out in 2008, which had the song Pokerface on it ALSO.......

We're talking about hit singles don't we?

"Poker Face" is a song by American singer Lady Gaga from her debut studio album, The Fame (2008). It was released on September 26, 2008 as the album's second single. ".......... How could no one have heard of the song if it was sent to radios in September/OCtober ? you make no senseSent to radios means the radios are able to play it. Doesn't mean it's a radio hit and constantly playing, which would have made it charted far higher.

Once again people have been polled on when electropop era started, the people have spoken.

An era starting starts as its first year, also there were many other electropop hits 1 after another
that constitutes as an electropop year

You lost

A year has 12 months and an era can start within a year. For a lot of people the era started with "Just Dance" becoming a huge hit in the last few weeks of 2008, so technically not wrong if they choose that the era began in 2008. Doesn't make the year on a whole part of the era though.

Not losing sorry.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/19 at 4:27 pm

Tbh, I’d say both John and Shruggie are half correct. Electropop technically didn’t start in 2008, and it existed even in the 80s, but people rather called in ‘Synthpop’ or ‘New Wave’ at the time, with bands like Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, etc. But it first became popular in 2008, and people started using the term electropop, and the rave party sound started in 2008, with the breakthrough of Lady Gaga and Kesha.

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 4:33 pm

Tbh, I’d say both John and Shruggie are half correct. Electropop technically didn’t start in 2008, and it existed even in the 80s, but people rather called in ‘Synthpop’ or ‘New Wave’ at the time, with bands like Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, etc. But it first became popular in 2008, and people started using the term electropop, and the rave party sound started in 2008, with the breakthrough of Lady Gaga and Kesha.
Synth Pop and Electropop are quite different. Synth Pop is more spaced out and serious sounding, while Electropop has more going on, uses dirty-sounding and abrasive synths and it's all very well made for the dancefloor since it's influenced by EDM.

New Wave is just rock with synths.

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 4:34 pm

Synth Pop and Electropop are quite different. Synth Pop is more spaced out and serious sounding, while Electropop has more going on, uses dirty-sounding and abrasive synths and it's all very well made for the dancefloor since it's influenced by EDM.

New Wave is just rock with synths.

Pokerface was being played on KISS in 2008, you are really making no sense, and EH EH from Gaga an electropop song was ALSO
sent to radio and played in 2008. There countless other songs that are electropop that were played then.

You lost, just stop

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/10/19 at 6:45 am

Called it. 8)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/19 at 11:15 pm

I don't. I remember hating pop music back then because all the songs sounded the same. I still hate pop music today but the pop music from the early 2010s was not any better IMO.

Written By: John Titor on 01/10/19 at 11:39 pm

I don't. I remember hating pop music back then because all the songs sounded the same. I still hate pop music today but the pop music from the early 2010s was not any better IMO.

Electropop started getting sheeshty in early 2012, it was pretty much done by late 2012/early 2013

Aside from Gaga's flop album

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/13/19 at 11:14 am

Electropop started getting sheeshty in early 2012, it was pretty much done by late 2012/early 2013

Aside from Gaga's flop album

I’d say it died out by April 2013, it was still decently popular in Late 2012 with Gangnam Style, Scream and Shout, etc. But its last traces comes as far as 2015, with Chris Brown’s non-popular 5 more hours song

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/13/19 at 11:53 am

I agree except, I think today's pop music is much better and less annoying than the early 2010s. 2015-2016 is my favorite run for pop music this decade.

Written By: Dundee on 01/13/19 at 12:12 pm

I agree except, I think today's pop music is much better and less annoying than the early 2010s. 2015-2016 is my favorite run for pop music this decade.
I personally think that it depends on the year. 2010, along with 2009, was a rather underwhelming year for Pop music overall, where a lot of shoddy and poor productions and the melodically deaf Will.I.Am veered their ugly heads and ruined a lot of songs as a result. 2011 though, on the hand was a far superior year where Electropop and synths in general were used in far more interesting and unique ways without the feeling of it being produced from a broken mixing board (songs like Lights, Till the World End, The Edge of Glory and Super Bass range among the best the Electropop era has to offer).

But I do agree that 2015 was the best Pop year of the decade (2016 was a poopy year tho).

Written By: mc98 on 01/13/19 at 12:17 pm

I’d say it died out by April 2013, it was still decently popular in Late 2012 with Gangnam Style, Scream and Shout, etc. But its last traces comes as far as 2015, with Chris Brown’s non-popular 5 more hours song

Don't forget Die Young and I Knew You Were Trouble for late 2012 :P

I think there was still some electropop that was still around in April-June 2013

UxxajLWwzqY

AByfaYcOm4A

n-D1EB74Ckg

Check for new replies or respond here...