inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has “Nanette” started the rise of PC humor?

Written By: duenas8 on 12/30/18 at 8:36 pm

The Verge made an article about that 2018 was another weak year for comedy movies, they blame to superheroes movies for taking away their public, but maybe the reason is the rise of PC culture with a new type of humor, where Hannah Gadsby’s Nanette is the game changer
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/28/18159190/holmes-watson-flop-will-ferrell-studio-comedy-movies-change-2018

https://media.wired.com/photos/5b5f4fed38506225c8fd9fc8/master/pass/HannahGadsby_06.jpg

Also new TV series, like Jim Carrey’s Kidding shows up with an optimistic type of humor.
Maybe successful satires like South Park or Family Guy won’t be affected after all, but they will have to face with a new rivalry in the genre of comedy.

http://3.images.southparkstudios.com/default/image.jpg?quality=0.8

Subject: Re: Has “Nanette” started the rise of PC humor?

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 8:50 pm

the rise of PC humor is due to comedians being afraid to offend people

Written By: duenas8 on 12/30/18 at 8:55 pm

the rise of PC humor is due to comedians being afraid to offend people

That’s why Seinfeld doesn’t act in colleges anymore

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 8:56 pm

yupp

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 8:57 pm

The only person who does not give a f is Bill Burr

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 12:30 am

Edgy comedians used to happily go to jail all the time when society was less free and now they cry when people are offended by their jokes.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 12/31/18 at 12:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5BxjUmzPPA
This video is painful to watch. 8-P

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/31/18 at 11:45 am

Edgy comedians used to happily go to jail all the time when society was less free and now they cry when people are offended by their jokes.

This. I’m really not understanding all the crying about SJW’s as if they’re this relentless force in our culture when I’ve never even met one in real life.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/18 at 12:00 pm

Not quite.  Society was actually MORE free back then.The circumstances are different now. In the early 70s, the late, great George Carlin was arrested and taken away in handcuffs after a show in, I think, Baltimore on "obscenity charges" for his now-legendary "Seven Dirty Words" routine. People protested Carlin being arrested for this, and he was somewhat of a hero to them, as he was a proponent of free speech. Cries of "free George Carlin!" arose. It was an outrage to think he would be arrested for this. But TODAY, a George Carlin or a Seinfeld aren't even allowed near college campuses, the onetime bastion of free speech. They are disinvited, they are protested, they are shouted down for "hate speech", and snowflake students have to run to their "safe spaces" because their feelings were hurt and whatever identity politics group they "identify with" has been insulted. In recent years Bill Maher was disinvited from giving the commencement speech at Berkeley, of all places! Berkeley, where the free speech movement began in 1964! This is what we have come to.

Written By: J. Rob on 12/31/18 at 1:27 pm

Where are all of these SJWs people are talking about?

Written By: John Titor on 12/31/18 at 2:15 pm

Where are all of these SJWs people are talking about?

pjp2g0Alk7w

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 3:18 pm

Not quite.  Society was actually MORE free back then.The circumstances are different now. In the early 70s, the late, great George Carlin was arrested and taken away in handcuffs after a show in, I think, Baltimore on "obscenity charges" for his now-legendary "Seven Dirty Words" routine. People protested Carlin being arrested for this, and he was somewhat of a hero to them, as he was a proponent of free speech. Cries of "free George Carlin!" arose. It was an outrage to think he would be arrested for this. But TODAY, a George Carlin or a Seinfeld aren't even allowed near college campuses, the onetime bastion of free speech. They are disinvited, they are protested, they are shouted down for "hate speech", and snowflake students have to run to their "safe spaces" because their feelings were hurt and whatever identity politics group they "identify with" has been insulted. In recent years Bill Maher was disinvited from giving the commencement speech at Berkeley, of all places! Berkeley, where the free speech movement began in 1964! This is what we have come to.

Sorry, but get over it.  Comedians and other entertainers aren't owed an audience from anyone. Every one of these comedians can still find all kinds of gigs and comedy specials at other places.

FhuFWoN1nb0

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 3:24 pm

This. I’m really not understanding all the crying about SJW’s as if they’re this relentless force in our culture when I’ve never even met one in real life.

Me neither. I graduated college last fall and I never encountered anything like "SJWs" my entire college career.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/18 at 4:12 pm

Sorry, but get over it.  Comedians and other entertainers aren't owed an audience from anyone. Every one of these comedians can still find all kinds of gigs and comedy specials at other places.

FhuFWoN1nb0

Talk about missing the point. I don't care if these performers have an audience or not. It's about the intolerance of not even letting them have their say at these college venues. The irony of Bill Maher being, in effect, banned from Berkeley is beyond belief. It has nothing to do with whether he is "owed" an audience or not. Berkeley is the birthplace of the free speech movement with Mario Savio in 1964.  And now if you don't say what they want to hear, if you don't toe their party line, you don't get to say anything. Mario Savio must be spinning in his grave.

Written By: 2001 on 12/31/18 at 4:24 pm

Talk about missing the point. I don't care if these performers have an audience or not. It's about the intolerance of not even letting them have their say at these college venues. The irony of Bill Maher being, in effect, banned from Berkeley is beyond belief. It has nothing to do with whether he is "owed" an audience or not. Berkeley is the birthplace of the free speech movement with Mario Savio in 1964.  And now if you don't say what they want to hear, if you don't toe their party line, you don't get to say anything. Mario Savio must be spinning in his grave.

I see where you're coming from but didn't Bill Maher, in fact, end up giving said speech?  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 4:28 pm

I didn't miss the point. Most of the controversial speakers have been "race realists", people who advocate discrimination, and just plain aholes who like to get a rise out of people.

I'm not finding evidence where Bill Maher can't speak at Berkeley. Care to link?

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 4:35 pm

I see where you're coming from but didn't Bill Maher, in fact, end up giving said speech?  ???

Believe it or not, I actually see where he's coming from, too. I just really, really hate people bemoaning the death of free speech and pcness run amok when hundreds of below mediocre people can sit on youtube and make hundreds of thousands of dollars crying about sjws and mocking trans people.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/18 at 4:37 pm

I didn't miss the point. Most of the controversial speakers have been "race realists", people who advocate discrimination, and just plain aholes who like to get a rise out of people.

I'm not finding evidence where Bill Maher can't speak at Berkeley. Care to link?

I've checked online. It looks line in the end the ban against Maher was overturned. But it was overturned by the university itself, overruling the wishes of the students. So it shows the university still has SOME commitment to it's old free speech days, even if the students don't.

www.cnn.com/2014/10/30/living/bill-maher-commencement-speaker/index.html

The thing is, you've got to let all the a-holes and racists speak too (although Maher himself isn't either of those), other wise it isn't free speech. Nobody says you have to listen to them or agree with them, obviously.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 5:06 pm

I've checked online. It looks line in the end the ban against Maher was overturned. But it was overturned by the university itself, overruling the wishes of the students. So it shows the university still has SOME commitment to it's old free speech days, even if the students don't.

www.cnn.com/2014/10/30/living/bill-maher-commencement-speaker/index.html

The thing is, you've got to let all the a-holes and racists speak too (although Maher himself isn't either of those), other wise it isn't free speech. Nobody says you have to listen to them or agree with them, obviously.

It depends on the speech. Hate speech is simply not protected speech. People are simply not entitled to be given a platform for advocating discrimination or hate.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/18 at 6:02 pm

It depends on the speech. Hate speech is simply not protected speech. People are simply not entitled to be given a platform for advocating discrimination or hate.

Oh yes hate speech IS protected speech. have you read THIS lately?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Written By: xenzue on 12/31/18 at 6:35 pm

Companies, businesses, and institutions can ban anyone they want to lol. Pretty sure Maher could've just uploaded his speech online.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 8:59 pm

Oh yes hate speech IS protected speech. have you read THIS lately?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

When it comes to the government. But private entities are not obligated to host hate speech.

Written By: John Titor on 12/31/18 at 9:41 pm

Maher seems like douche

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/19 at 4:09 pm

I don't agree with that. Yes, free speech means you can say what you want, including racist and other things, but by what logic did you conflay "free speech" with "free soapbox"? What's stopping any bumbling idiot from giving a commencement speech at Berkley, by this logic? Should universities be obligated to invite flat earthers to give commencement speeches to Physics graduates to promote free speech?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/19 at 4:41 pm

I don't agree with that. Yes, free speech means you can say what you want, including racist and other things, but by what logic did you conflay "free speech" with "free soapbox"? What's stopping any bumbling idiot from giving a commencement speech at Berkley, by this logic? Should universities be obligated to invite flat earthers to give commencement speeches to Physics graduates to promote free speech?  ???

Nobody is saying any private institution is OBLIGATED to invite anybody to do anything. I'm sure the university felt that Bill Maher, for example, was a responsible and coherent enough person, but that he held beliefs that some would agree with and some would disagree with. But today's type of students (the type some here claim don't exist) threw a hissy fit which shut him down until the university overruled it. This type of thing consistently goes on now. People are in their own little silos and are intolerant of even letting the person they disagree with show up and have their say, or to have a responsible dialogue. The kind that expands minds. The kind that stretches the beliefs of what you thought was true. The kind that challenges you and, yes, offends you. I'd love to know when the day came when people thought their civil rights included not having their little feelings hurt.

And yes, there was a time in the 60s and 70s when college campus invited the more "far out" type theorists as well. Astrologers, I Ching experts, you name it. And exploring, "questioning" people checked it out.  And think of Timothy Leary at Harvard in the 1960s with his LSD experiments. There are those who still say good came of that and perhaps it did.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/19 at 5:22 pm

Nobody is saying any private institution is OBLIGATED to invite anybody to do anything. I'm sure the university felt that Bill Maher, for example, was a responsible and coherent enough person, but that he held beliefs that some would agree with and some would disagree with. But today's type of students (the type some here claim don't exist) threw a hissy fit which shut him down until the university overruled it. This type of thing consistently goes on now. People are in their own little silos and are intolerant of even letting the person they disagree with show up and have their say, or to have a responsible dialogue. The kind that expands minds. The kind that stretches the beliefs of what you thought was true. The kind that challenges you and, yes, offends you. I'd love to know when the day came when people thought their civil rights included not having their little feelings hurt.

And yes, there was a time in the 60s and 70s when college campus invited the more "far out" type theorists as well. Astrologers, I Ching experts, you name it. And exploring, "questioning" people checked it out.  And think of Timothy Leary at Harvard in the 1960s with his LSD experiments. There are those who still say good came of that and perhaps it did.

I don't disagree with you about Bill Maher or listening to opposing views. However, you don't have a proof that those students were a majority of students or even a sizeable amount of them—the university was the one that ultimately invited, disinvited and then reinvited him, and that could be either hat they were convinced by the few students' reasoning or maybe they were indeed afraid of a large backlash—nonetheless, I doubt that students were in charge of either of these decisions. Point being, shrieks of "PC culture run amok" have been running for nigh on 30 years now, yet many great comedies, TV shows, graduates, inventions etc. were created in the interim. What reason do we have to believe PC culture, when not even Berkley bothered to disinvited Maher, has gone too far now? How is this just not another example of boy who cried wolf?

It's one thing to 'check it out', and another to subject students to it at a commencement speech.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/02/19 at 12:21 pm

You’re not actually serious, I hope. The Sixties and Seventies were an awfully repressed time, and free speech was hampered by a Puritan-esque moral coding. It can be seen in the Hayes Code for film and censure of television programs.

What you’re decrying is that comedians can no longer make jokes that are not funny, just offensive.

If the only thing that makes a joke funny is that it’s racist or homophobic or something, it wasn’t a great joke to begin with.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/19 at 1:01 pm

You’re not actually serious, I hope. The Sixties and Seventies were an awfully repressed time, and free speech was hampered by a Puritan-esque moral coding. It can be seen in the Hayes Code for film and censure of television programs.

What you’re decrying is that comedians can no longer make jokes that are not funny, just offensive.

If the only thing that makes a joke funny is that it’s racist or homophobic or something, it wasn’t a great joke to begin with.

The Hayes Code was abolished in 1968. If you think the 60s and 70s were "repressive" you obviously weren't there, and whatever information you are getting second and third hand from the internet must not be accurate. You should go to more accurate sources for your secondhand information. I think this must be the first time anyone has ever referred to the freewheeling 1960s as "Puritan-esque". More barriers were broken down during those years than any other decades of the 20th century and beyond. Do yourself a favor and check out 60s and 70s "New Hollywood" cinema. Start with "Easy Rider" just for the hell of it. Those were real joints they were smoking, by the way. Check out 60s music. Check out the "All In the Family" TV show and tell me it didn't push every boundary then in existence.  Racism, homophobia, misogyny, Vietnam, xenophobia, you name it. Check out George Carlin's comedy. Not only was it drop dead funny, there was a serious message behind it. I could go on and on.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/04/19 at 5:21 am

The Hayes Code was abolished in 1968. If you think the 60s and 70s were "repressive" you obviously weren't there, and whatever information you are getting second and third hand from the internet must not be accurate. You should go to more accurate sources for your secondhand information. I think this must be the first time anyone has ever referred to the freewheeling 1960s as "Puritan-esque". More barriers were broken down during those years than any other decades of the 20th century and beyond. Do yourself a favor and check out 60s and 70s "New Hollywood" cinema. Start with "Easy Rider" just for the hell of it. Those were real joints they were smoking, by the way. Check out 60s music. Check out the "All In the Family" TV show and tell me it didn't push every boundary then in existence.  Racism, homophobia, misogyny, Vietnam, xenophobia, you name it. Check out George Carlin's comedy. Not only was it drop dead funny, there was a serious message behind it. I could go on and on.

Wow, clearly your experience of the 1960s and 70s is based only on what you've seen in the movies. Yeah, I've seen Easy Rider, Scarecrow, Bonnie & Clyde, and a lot of other New Hollywood films - I had a momentary obsession with them in college. All that permissive hippie culture is what is called the counterculture, because it ran counter to the mainstream culture. All in the Family was revolutionary because Archie represented the ordinary adult American man in all his ugliness and entitlement, whereas the hippies at their largest extent were composed of 400,000 individuals at a time the American population totaled 200 million - they represented 0.2 percent of the population. There are currently more ultra-wealthy people in the United States, at around 3.2 million individuals.

So yeah, the mainstream culture at the time was more like what you'd see on Mad Men - repressive and Puritan-esque. Mainstream America had not actually changed much since the 1940s in that regard, which is what made George Carlin seem revolutionary.

And another thing: racism, homophobia, and misogyny were the mainstream culture (and arguably still are). You're missing the mark if you think showing or expressing those ideas was so sensational and unorthodox at the time. Pointing out that these feelings or beliefs were racist or homophobic, and pointing at that it was wrong, that's what was different. What made George Carlin so important and what made him countercultural to the repressive mainstream culture of the 60s and 70s was that he pointed out the racism, homophobia, and misogyny in our culture and satirized it. He didn't tell garbage racist jokes, he spoke truth to power. He punched up, not down, as good comedy should.

Which leads me to my final point, to you and to everyone else in this thread. Be honest and open with me, this is your chance to do so. What has political correctness prevented you (or your favorite comedian) from saying? What makes you so angry about political correctness, what thing did you want to say that you feel you are unjustly and unfairly censored for? Please, don't hold back.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/04/19 at 9:31 pm

Wow, clearly your experience of the 1960s and 70s is based only on what you've seen in the movies. Yeah, I've seen Easy Rider, Scarecrow, Bonnie & Clyde, and a lot of other New Hollywood films - I had a momentary obsession with them in college. All that permissive hippie culture is what is called the counterculture, because it ran counter to the mainstream culture. All in the Family was revolutionary because Archie represented the ordinary adult American man in all his ugliness and entitlement, whereas the hippies at their largest extent were composed of 400,000 individuals at a time the American population totaled 200 million - they represented 0.2 percent of the population. There are currently more ultra-wealthy people in the United States, at around 3.2 million individuals.

So yeah, the mainstream culture at the time was more like what you'd see on Mad Men - repressive and Puritan-esque. Mainstream America had not actually changed much since the 1940s in that regard, which is what made George Carlin seem revolutionary.

And another thing: racism, homophobia, and misogyny were the mainstream culture (and arguably still are). You're missing the mark if you think showing or expressing those ideas was so sensational and unorthodox at the time. Pointing out that these feelings or beliefs were racist or homophobic, and pointing at that it was wrong, that's what was different. What made George Carlin so important and what made him countercultural to the repressive mainstream culture of the 60s and 70s was that he pointed out the racism, homophobia, and misogyny in our culture and satirized it. He didn't tell garbage racist jokes, he spoke truth to power. He punched up, not down, as good comedy should.

Which leads me to my final point, to you and to everyone else in this thread. Be honest and open with me, this is your chance to do so. What has political correctness prevented you (or your favorite comedian) from saying? What makes you so angry about political correctness, what thing did you want to say that you feel you are unjustly and unfairly censored for? Please, don't hold back.

Stop.

You're making me so proud.  :\'(

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/19 at 12:32 am

Stop.

You're making me so proud.  :\'(

lol

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/05/19 at 8:29 am

lol

Seriously, I'm all ears. You say political correctness has silenced you - what did you want to say that you can't?

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/19 at 4:24 pm

Seriously, I'm all ears. You say political correctness has silenced you - what did you want to say that you can't?

TBH I want to Trump fat jokes but it feels rude since Trump won't ever hear them but people with body image issues might.  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/19 at 11:54 pm

TBH I want to Trump fat jokes but it feels rude since Trump won't ever hear them but people with body image issues might.  :-X

Uh. Duh.

Plus, I think you've used up your passive aggressive pokes at fat people this month.  :-X

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/25/19 at 4:01 pm

I see nobody has an actual serious answer to my question.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/19 at 1:18 am

Just know your audience! Some people like dark humor, and some people don't.
With the whole Kevin Hart thing, it was because he revealed in a magazine that he had some casual homophobia in him. Once you give people smoke, people will question if you're joking, or not. They might assume that there's fire.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/04/19 at 6:49 am

Or just don’t be racist or homophobic. Which is different from “don’t be offensive,” for those following along at home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/19 at 7:01 am

Just know your audience! Some people like dark humor, and some people don't.
With the whole Kevin Hart thing, it was because he revealed in a magazine that he had some casual homophobia in him. Once you give people smoke, people will question if you're joking, or not. They might assume that there's fire.

Is it Kevin Hart that always complains about people making joking comments about his height?

Check for new replies or respond here...