inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The fact that we are in 2019 doesn't really shock me

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/19 at 10:19 am

It's the fact that the year after our current year, it's going to be a brand new year and decade. And it's probably going to be very hyped because 2020 sounds catchy and futuristic, and also the 20/20 vision jokes. 2010 sounds nowhere near as cool as 2020 does, so NYE 2019 will probably be much of a bigger deal than NYE 2009. Starting tomorrow (cause it's still January 1st over here) we will never celebrate New Year's Day in the 2010's ever again, and that's something that definitely shocks me. I know it seems obvious, but it's just a random thought that really got to me.

Subject: Re: The fact that we are in 2019 doesn't really shock me

Written By: mc98 on 01/01/19 at 10:48 am

Damn. I remember New Year 2009. Time flies really fast.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/01/19 at 11:09 am

It's more shocking that we're at the end of another decade and 2020 is right around the corner. 2020 does seem more futuristic than 2010.

Written By: annimal on 01/01/19 at 11:32 am

Oh my gosh! another year is over!

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/19 at 11:46 am

It's more shocking that we're at the end of another decade and 2020 is right around the corner. 2020 does seem more futuristic than 2010.

It truly is shocking. Especially as someone who will graduate in 2020. It’s going to feel weird no longer being in the 2010’s.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/01/19 at 12:05 pm

It truly is shocking. Especially as someone who will graduate in 2020. It’s going to feel weird no longer being in the 2010’s.

I'll be 25 next year. 21 was a pretty big deal, but there is something about 25.. it just seems so much older.

Turning 18 was exciting too. I think you'll enjoy that.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/19 at 12:27 pm

I'll be 25 next year. 21 was a pretty big deal, but there is something about 25.. it just seems so much older.

Turning 18 was exciting too. I think you'll enjoy that.

Maybe because they say that your brain fully develops at 25, or somewhere around there.

And yeah, turning 18 is going to be a huge deal for me.  ;D 16 probably won’t feel different from 17.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/19 at 1:08 pm

So what? I remember New Year 1965. Big deal. Life goes on and the world still spins. Just thought I'd give some perspective.  ;)

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/01/19 at 1:10 pm

Maybe because they say that your brain fully develops at 25, or somewhere around there.

And yeah, turning 18 is going to be a huge deal for me.  ;D 16 probably won’t feel different from 17.

Cheaper car insurance too.  ;)

So what? I remember New Year 1965. Big deal. Life goes on and the world still spins. Just thought I'd give some perspective.  ;)

And my grandmother remembers V Day in 1945. Big deal.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/19 at 1:39 pm

I know, 10 years go by so fast!  :o

Written By: bluedust on 01/01/19 at 2:28 pm

I’m graduating high school in 2020, so I cannot wait for that. 2020 will be such an exciting year for me. I will miss the 2010s though.

Written By: Dundee on 01/01/19 at 3:09 pm

It will be officially 10 years since I went to middle school :o

2010 is as close to 2001 as it is to today

c18441Eh_WE
mXvmSaE0JXA

Other than that, I surprisingly don't mind being already 2019, and 10 years from now we all gonna be "Ono where did 2019 go?" anyway

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/19 at 3:51 pm

Forget about 2019, it's yesterday's socks.  ::)

I am looking forward to 2020. "Twenty Squared".  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/19 at 5:02 pm

Oh man so I have only one more year to act foolish before I can actually act like an adult?  :-[ I'm turning 24 in two days and it's gonna feel so weird. I always thought 24 is the age when someone is "old" when I was younger but I regret thinking that now because I will be that age soon.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/19 at 5:05 pm

Time flies I can't believe it's already 2019. I didn't think we'd get here so fast and really it's not that different than where we were at the start of the decade which is weird too. I predicted flying cars and holograms everywhere in 2019 back at the start of this decade. Yes 2020 sounds cool so it will be fun next year. We will be in "the '20s" and finally we will have a decade with a proper name.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/19 at 5:27 pm

I'm turning 26 this year. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I like being 25. Old enough to be taken seriously, young enough to be... young. I have tons of cash too, so I get to do "young people things" like travel, dress nice, go out etc. more often than I did in my early 20s. I hope 26 won't be much different :P

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/01/19 at 7:35 pm

Yea I was just talking to a 2008 born about this. Crazy to think middle schoolers now were in diapers the beginning of the decade.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/01/19 at 7:40 pm

I'm turning 26 this year. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I like being 25. Old enough to be taken seriously, young enough to be... young. I have tons of cash too, so I get to "young people things" like travel, dress nice, go out etc. more often than I did in my early 20s. I hope 26 won't be much different :P

Once I hit 26 that's my age forever.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/01/19 at 9:21 pm

Today isn't New Years Day to me, today is "One more year until 2020" day.  :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/02/19 at 12:13 pm

Today isn't New Years Day to me, today is "One more year until 2020" day.  :o

I convinced my friends to throw a Roaring 20s New Year's party next NYE. With them, I know it's gonna be huge. So excited!

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/19 at 1:04 pm

That's what I said when I turned 25...in 2010.

Seriously you guys in your mid-late twenties, enjoy it.  I think age 25-32 or so are probably your best years.  Old enough to have some experience and to make wiser decisions but young enough to still have fun.

I'm currently at that weird age in your early/mid thirties where I no longer feel like a twentysomething but I also don't feel ready to start going to bed at 10pm every night yet.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/19 at 2:20 pm

Seriously you guys in your mid-late twenties, enjoy it.  I think age 25-32 or so are probably your best years.  Old enough to have some experience and to make wiser decisions but young enough to still have fun.

I'm currently at that weird age in your early/mid thirties where I no longer feel like a twentysomething but I also don't feel ready to start going to bed at 10pm every night yet.

Hey, don't hate on sleeping at 10. I wake up at 4:30am most days. In the fall/winter it means empty gyms when I go in at 5, and in the spring/summer I can get my 2 hours of cardio in by riding my bike in the middle of an 8-lane road downhill, because there are no cars on the road when the sun rises at 5AM. Those are the simple pleasures in life :D

Written By: Howard on 01/02/19 at 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure you will age.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/02/19 at 2:54 pm

According to a survey, British people think 36 is the best age to be. An equal percentage of British people also think 25-31 and 32-39 is the prime of your life. Most people think 22-24 is before your prime.

Enjoy your 30s. You are still young. Oh, and remember what they say - 40 is the old age of youth.  ;)

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/02/19 at 3:15 pm

Dude, are you trying to rub it in? Look for positives. Your 30s are still young just, your really an adult by then but your body is still IN! its prime. I'm hitting the gym until the end of time.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/19 at 3:24 pm

Dude, are you trying to rub it in? Look for positives. Your 30s are still young just, your really an adult by then but your body is still IN! its prime. I'm hitting the gym until the end of time.

I'm going to be 45 this year and I'm feeling good!

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/02/19 at 3:28 pm

Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150525-whats-the-prime-of-your-life

Your long term memory is already in decline before the age of 20. How crazy is that?

For the most part though, different things peak at different times. It really does seem like people in their 60s are the happiest though. Retirement must be good.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/19 at 3:54 pm

I convinced my friends to throw a Roaring 20s New Year's party next NYE. With them, I know it's gonna be huge. So excited!

I'm pumped for next New Years Eve. I don't know how I'll celebrate it though. But I want it to be big because entering another decade is a pretty big thing. We only get to do it around 9 times in our lives, and that's only assuming you live into your 90s. So it is a pretty big deal. New decades are always exciting.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/19 at 3:58 pm

I'm turning 26 this year. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I like being 25. Old enough to be taken seriously, young enough to be... young. I have tons of cash too, so I get to do "young people things" like travel, dress nice, go out etc. more often than I did in my early 20s. I hope 26 won't be much different :P

When I'm 26 I expect to be out of university and well into my career, whatever that may be. Then again, I though that would happen at age 23, so who knows. What the future holds, no one knows.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/19 at 4:18 pm

Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150525-whats-the-prime-of-your-life

Your long term memory is already in decline before the age of 20. How crazy is that?

For the most part though, different things peak at different times. It really does seem like people in their 60s are the happiest though. Retirement must be good.

Thank god I learnt how to make flashcards in my teens :o

Long term memory is everything to me!

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/19 at 4:23 pm

There's good news for us in that article

"The more heartening news is that some of the less welcome pitfalls are less inevitable than you might imagine. Exercise, in particular, not only ensures longer physical fitness, and fights a range of age-related diseases like diabetes and cancer, but also strengthens a weakening memory too. People in good health also enjoy about five more years of sexual activity at the end of the life. It really is the closest we’ve got to an elixir of youth."

Kevin, we're gym buddies in spirit. ;D

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/02/19 at 4:39 pm

Thank god I learnt how to make flashcards in my teens :o

Long term memory is everything to me!

I guess that's why they say the best time to learn a new language is when you're a child.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/19 at 4:41 pm

The older and older I get, the more I discover my own power. I am so much stronger today than I was in my 20s. No, I'm not talking about physical strength. I'm talking about being strong enough to tell people to go take a hike-something I couldn't do in my 20s. Being strong enough to tell people what I want and not tell people what I think they want.

And discovering my own power, I am now the happiest I have ever been in my life.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/19 at 5:40 pm

The older and older I get, the more I discover my own power. I am so much stronger today than I was in my 20s. No, I'm not talking about physical strength. I'm talking about being strong enough to tell people to go take a hike-something I couldn't do in my 20s. Being strong enough to tell people what I want and not tell people what I think they want.

And discovering my own power, I am now the happiest I have ever been in my life.

Cat

I too have far more peace of mind than I had when I was younger. Everything just no longer seems to be the "matter of life and death" that it all seemed to be in my younger years. By the way, when older people say "I wish I was young again", it's not what they really mean. If they examined their thoughts they would see that what they really mean is "I wish I had a young body with what I know now".

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/19 at 5:55 pm

I too have far more peace of mind than I had when I was younger. Everything just no longer seems to be the "matter of life and death" that it all seemed to be in my younger years. By the way, when older people say "I wish I was young again", it's not what they really mean. If they examined their thoughts they would see that what they really mean is "I wish I had a young body with what I know now".

I think another way of saying that is "Youth is wasted on the young" ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/03/19 at 5:23 am

According to a survey, British people think 36 is the best age to be. An equal percentage of British people also think 25-31 and 32-39 is the prime of your life. Most people think 22-24 is before your prime.

Enjoy your 30s. You are still young. Oh, and remember what they say - 40 is the old age of youth.  ;)

Then what is 50 considered?

Written By: Howard on 01/03/19 at 5:26 am

I guess that's why they say the best time to learn a new language is when you're a child.

and when you grow up, you'll be able to pick up the language.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/03/19 at 8:37 am

Then what is 50 considered?

The youth of old age, of course.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/19 at 7:23 am

The youth of old age, of course.

and that's when the pain medication kicks in. ;)

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 10:00 pm

:D
and that's when the pain medication kicks in. ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/05/19 at 2:02 pm

We are closer and closer to The 2020's.

Check for new replies or respond here...