inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does 2019 feel futuristic already ?

Written By: John Titor on 01/03/19 at 6:43 pm

The vibe right now feels different than any other year of the 2010s and I can't put my finger on it. Its kind of like this jet set radio Batman beyond vibe.

Subject: Re: Does 2019 feel futuristic already ?

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/19 at 6:55 pm

Not any more than 2018, if that's what you're asking.

Written By: Dundee on 01/03/19 at 7:10 pm

I think the vibe completely changed from 3 days ago I think by changing our calenders to 2019 we accidentally engaged the pop culture collapse that changed the whole vibe to a dark cybertronic future and early 2020s culture that will take until 2027 to completely restore again

Written By: SmartBo1 on 01/03/19 at 11:18 pm

3 days into 2019 and we already have futuristic vibes just because..........................................sure why not.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/19 at 5:54 pm

John it doesn't feel futuristic. It sounds kinda cool though, and being the last year of the decade is cool. But 2019 feels nothing like 2009 felt to me. There's no sense of closure or feeling the decade is over. It still feels very 2010s to me, even if you can say we left the core 2010s. It is quite different from 1999 and 2009, where those years clearly felt separated from the rest of the decade. We will probably hold onto that 2010s feel until the early 2020s (maybe 2021). It will kind of be like how the 1980s didn't fully leave until 1991. It still very much feels like we are still in the 2010s decade culturally.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/04/19 at 6:52 pm

Not really futuristic, but kinda cool that this is the 3rd end of decade year I've experienced.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/04/19 at 7:17 pm

If we’re talking technology from an 80s’ guy perspective, who would expect so much of the future, well partially. Of course we don’t have those flying cars and space travel yet, but we already have technology like self-transport hoverboards (Not fully right, but still allows for self-transport), Smartphones and Tablets (As predicted from Star Trek with Picard), Voice Assistants (From alot of 80s Sci-fi films with robots), flatscreen monitors, advanced multimedia PC’s, Complex Communication (The internet, which literally existed since 1991), FaceTime, and more. We’re already in the future, it’s just not evenly distributed, quote from Will Gibson. But from a 2018 person’s point of view, not reallt futuristic yet. We’re not yet a type 1 civilization, we still don’t have flying cars, and we still don’t have space trips, which I assume will start happening in the late 2020s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/04/19 at 7:18 pm

Not really futuristic, but kinda cool that this is the 3rd end of decade year I've experienced.

I feel this way too.

On a pessimistic note, for the first time, I have this weird feeling that things are incredibly stagnant overall.

Written By: Dundee on 01/04/19 at 7:22 pm

I feel this way too.

On a pessimistic note, for the first time, I have this weird feeling that things are incredibly stagnant overall.
Isn't this your fourth though ;)?

1999 to 2000 was overshadowed by the millenium hype, and 2009 to 2010 overshadowed by a huge recession.
Unless something really bad happens in the meantime, it's fair to assume this change of decade might be the first normal one since 1989 to 1990.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/19 at 9:13 pm

This will be my third too. I remember 1999 and going into the year 2000, even though I was very little.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/04/19 at 9:33 pm

Isn't this your fourth though ;)?

1999 to 2000 was overshadowed by the millenium hype, and 2009 to 2010 overshadowed by a huge recession.
Unless something really bad happens in the meantime, it's fair to assume this change of decade might be the first normal one since 1989 to 1990.

89 doesn't count. I have no idea what new years in 89 was like. I remember 1990 but barely 1989 (if those are even accurate memories).

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/04/19 at 9:39 pm

89 doesn't count. I have no idea what new years in 89 was like. I remember 1990 but barely 1989 (if those are even accurate memories).

I was only 4 in 1999. If I remember correctly I was at home watching fireworks with my mum but those memories are only vague.

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 9:44 pm

I was only 4 in 1999. If I remember correctly I was at home watching fireworks with my mum but those memories are only vague.

1999 felt futuristic

Written By: Doku on 01/14/19 at 9:53 pm

2019 definitely does have a different vibe than the other years of this decade, but it doesn't feel futuristic at all to me. So far, personally, I'm enjoying this year a lot lol.

Written By: Dundee on 01/14/19 at 10:13 pm

2019 definitely does have a different vibe than the other years of this decade

Exageration much, it's literally "2018 (encore)" so far.

Also where are the new music releases at ???

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/19 at 10:19 pm

2019 or late 2018 feels like the beginning of a new science/space race between China and the US, with the Chinese doctor making those mutant babies, and launching a lunar probe, and the US putting tariffs on China to defend its intellectual property and tech industry.

Written By: Dundee on 01/14/19 at 10:30 pm

2019 or late 2018 feels like the beginning of a new science/space race between China and the US, with the Chinese doctor making those mutant babies, and launching a lunar probe, and the US putting tariffs on China to defend its intellectual property and tech industry.

That's actually quite good, competition is the only thing that seems to motivate the US to see things big ;D

Mars especially will be a big theme in 2020 looks like!

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/15/19 at 1:14 am

The vibe right now feels different than any other year of the 2010s and I can't put my finger on it. Its kind of like this jet set radio Batman beyond vibe.

Dude, it's January.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/15/19 at 1:20 am

People still don’t get how important this space race will be, we’re still living with the myth of 1969 moon landing, so putting colonies in Mars sounds like sci-fi for most people

Written By: SmartBo1 on 01/15/19 at 1:35 am

People still don’t get how important this space race will be, we’re still living with the myth of 1969 moon landing, so putting colonies in Mars sounds like sci-fi for most people

Wait are you one of those conspiracy theorists who think the moon landing was fake?  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/15/19 at 1:54 am

If you ever watched The Expanse or read the books, that whole series is about what happens when humans colonize space. Mars has it's own military and government having broken away from Earth, while the Belt still struggles for independence while depending on Earth and Mars for their water supply. Meanwhile on the moons of the outer planets they grow food in massive indoor farms to deliver out. Earth is so populated green space is hard to come by, and yes I know I'm totally nerding out right now.  ;D :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/19 at 6:21 am

I still think putting people on Mars (except for touristy reasons) is a huge waste of money. We already landed on the Moon, so we don't need to prove ourselves by going to Mars. Rovers are better explorers than humans.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/15/19 at 6:42 am

No, it doesn't feel futuristic yet.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/19 at 7:53 am

No, it doesn't feel futuristic yet.

I'll give it another year.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/15/19 at 10:43 am

15 Jan 2019 is definitely feeling more futuristic than 1 Jan 2019 so far.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 01/15/19 at 11:34 am

No. But it does sound like you're desperately wanting it to feel futuristic. We're literally only 2 weeks into the new year. It actually doesn't feel much different from Jan. 15, 2018 or even Jan. 15, 2017 for that matter.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 11:39 am

Exageration much, it's literally "2018 (encore)" so far.

Also where are the new music releases at ???

WXBHCQYxwr0

Its Jan, wait for more releases

Written By: Dundee on 01/15/19 at 3:17 pm

WXBHCQYxwr0

Its Jan, wait for more releases
I mean something new, 2019-unique. That song has been overplayed ad nauseam here in Europe since November 2018.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 4:18 pm

I mean something new, 2019-unique. That song has been overplayed ad nauseam here in Europe since November 2018.

Jan just started..you have to wait, also  Europe is not the USA  lol

Written By: Slim95 on 01/15/19 at 8:39 pm

That song is not popular in Canada at all. Interesting that it's popular in Europe only even though she's an American singer.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 8:56 pm

That song is not popular in Canada at all. Interesting that it's popular in Europe only even though she's an American singer.

its 10# in USA

weird Canada has not caught on

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/15/19 at 11:55 pm

Jesus Christ. John Titor is making the 2010 board all about this unoriginal, plastic pop artist.  8-P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/16/19 at 2:05 am

Not sure if you know this but thats the case ALOT of the time. So many songs explode in popularity in Europe and here in Australia/New Zealand yet dont even reach North America. Sucks for you guys lol.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/16/19 at 4:05 am

its 10# in USA

Lol, no it's not:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

It's barely in the Top-40.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/19 at 7:17 am

Not sure if you know this but thats the case ALOT of the time. So many songs explode in popularity in Europe and here in Australia/New Zealand yet dont even reach North America. Sucks for you guys lol.

Considering the song in question, I would say we won this round ;D

Written By: John Titor on 01/16/19 at 12:37 pm

Lol, no it's not:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

It's barely in the Top-40.

8 on ITUNES

it has been 10 for the last 24 hours, the websites will be updated to reflect the 8 change

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HWKr0dk.png

https://pasteboard.co/HWKr0dk.png

Written By: John Titor on 01/16/19 at 12:38 pm

its number 8 on usa itunes

Written By: Dundee on 01/16/19 at 5:17 pm

Considering the song in question, I would say we won this round ;D
Oh, you don't like it? How come :P

Written By: John Titor on 01/16/19 at 5:26 pm

USA DEBUT  JAN 21

AVA MAX stay tuned

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/16/19 at 11:43 pm

No. But it does sound like you're desperately wanting it to feel futuristic. We're literally only 2 weeks into the new year. It actually doesn't feel much different from Jan. 15, 2018 or even Jan. 15, 2017 for that matter.
Yeah, I have to agree with this post. I don't think this year will be as futuristic as some think. I think that's more for 2020 which is another year from now. There may have been changes within the last 2 years, but they have all mainly been political forces. Everything else though is nearly the same. 

Written By: Dundee on 01/17/19 at 6:54 am

What makes things futuristic though ???
That's such a vague assertion

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/19 at 11:00 am

Yeah, I have to agree with this post. I don't think this year will be as futuristic as some think. I think that's more for 2020 which is another year from now. There may have been changes within the last 2 years, but they have all mainly been political forces. Everything else though is nearly the same.

Fashion has already changed, you just don't see the effects of it yet because it takes time for mass market stores to take from the runway

Written By: Milk on 01/17/19 at 7:19 pm

Fashion has already changed, you just don't see the effects of it yet because it takes time for mass market stores to take from the runway

Is fashion gonna get baggier again?

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/19 at 9:16 pm

it already is right now

Written By: APDCR1990 on 01/18/19 at 10:36 am

It's not the mainstream norm, at least on guys. You're more likely to see straight, fitted, and slimmer jeans than boot-cut jeans or cargo pants. In fact, I remember seeing a guy on an elevator with bootcut jeans and it really stood out. I felt like I was transported back to 2002. If most guys were dressing like that, then it wouldn't have stood out. Athletic wear is still pretty tight, especially sweatpants. I'd give it another 2-3 years before slimmer jeans start looking unusual.

Written By: John Titor on 01/18/19 at 11:31 am

It's not the mainstream norm, at least on guys. You're more likely to see straight, fitted, and slimmer jeans than boot-cut jeans or cargo pants. In fact, I remember seeing a guy on an elevator with bootcut jeans and it really stood out. I felt like I was transported back to 2002. If most guys were dressing like that, then it wouldn't have stood out. Athletic wear is still pretty tight, especially sweatpants. I'd give it another 2-3 years before slimmer jeans start looking unusual.

Thats not whats happening

Baggier jeans is already on the runway right now, it takes 6-7 months for stores like Zara & Forever 21 to copy and make their own versions.
Straight fitted is already out right now, trends take slow to catch on. The retirement of skinny jeans was attempted 2 years ago and they didn't catch on.
It was only until the last 14 months it was pushed and only now you are starting to see the chains copy the look.

Written By: xenzue on 01/18/19 at 11:28 pm

Thats not whats happening

Baggier jeans is already on the runway right now, it takes 6-7 months for stores like Zara & Forever 21 to copy and make their own versions.
Straight fitted is already out right now, trends take slow to catch on. The retirement of skinny jeans was attempted 2 years ago and they didn't catch on.
It was only until the last 14 months it was pushed and only now you are starting to see the chains copy the look.

The recent resurgence of baggier jeans/pants is organic IMO. The runway might definitely help catapult it to the mainstream tho.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/19 at 4:27 am

The recent resurgence of baggier jeans/pants is organic IMO. The runway might definitely help catapult it to the mainstream tho.

The fashion industry has been trying to bring back baggy jeans since like 2012 though lol. Remember boyfriend jeans?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/19/19 at 9:16 pm

Baggy jeans were pretty much a staple in the black community up until a few years ago. I remember people still complained about guys sagging in the early 10s.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/19 at 9:23 pm

Baggy jeans were pretty much a staple in the black community up until a few years ago. I remember people still complained about guys sagging in the early 10s.

People here still sag, just with skinny jeans (and to add insult to injury, over here it's mostly white people who do it)  :-\\

Written By: xenzue on 01/19/19 at 11:20 pm

The fashion industry has been trying to bring back baggy jeans since like 2012 though lol. Remember boyfriend jeans?

Which is exactly why I say its resurgence has nothing to do with the industry and everything to do with the rise of thrifting. A combination of thrifting, custom clothes, and luxury brands is somewhat the ideal rn. I think the rise of thrifting comes from the fact that a Gen Z is more fiscally conservative. Despite that lot of people nowadays are setting up small shops on IG where they'd buy clothes from Goodwill en mass, customize, and sell it at a much higher price. This mini-industry is booming.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/20/19 at 12:45 am

Nah, baggy jeans went out of style in late 2009, early 2010s - replaced by skinny or fitted jeans.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/20/19 at 2:00 am

Nah, baggy jeans went out of style in late 2009, early 2010s - replaced by skinny or fitted jeans.
In most major cites it did but in NC it was still a thing. Like I still saw plenty of kids sagging in the early 10s in my high school. My high school was a mix of types of kids so you saw different type of fashion.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/20/19 at 2:30 am

Sagging is definitely a thing in lower income black areas.

My 37/38 yr older brother really dislikes black gen zers and younger millennials. They're more fashionable and have fewer hangups regarding sexuality. Don't get me wrong. Homophobia and toxic masculinity is still a problem even among that group, but it's less of a problem with them. My brother is on some hotep bullcrap so he really hates that the younger black generation is a bit more "carefree".

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/20/19 at 3:07 am

In most major cites it did but in NC it was still a thing. Like I still saw plenty of kids sagging in the early 10s in my high school. My high school was a mix of types of kids so you saw different type of fashion.

I'm just talking about baggy jeans. People still sagged with skinny jeans then.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/20/19 at 5:25 am

I'm just talking about baggy jeans. People still sagged with skinny jeans then.

Yeah. I just remembered that even tho sagging isn't as big as it used to be, there are still a lot of skinny jeans saggers out there.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/21/19 at 11:55 pm

This was shown at CES this year...

https://www.cnet.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-foldable-royole-flexpai-phone/

Finally after a long wait, foldable phones are finally a reality in 2019. (Well there was one in 2017, but it sucked  :P)

They are still very awkward though. It's gonna take time for this technology to mature, but I'm excited. My next phone will definitely be foldable, it's the future!

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/22/19 at 6:01 am

A little bit, yeah:

kQC0Q1b-h7U

Written By: Dundee on 01/22/19 at 10:00 am

A little bit, yeah:

kQC0Q1b-h7U
Huh?

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/22/19 at 11:39 am

In the core 2010s, an indie band like this with a visual aesthetic like the one in the video would be folksy with some guitar and country twang, like Ed Sharpe or Mumford.

But what do you hear instead? Synths. We’re going hard on that futuristic feel.

Written By: mc98 on 01/22/19 at 12:49 pm

A little bit, yeah:

kQC0Q1b-h7U

The music and the video feels too much like 2011-2014 indie folk, nothing futuristic at all. Maybe the quality of the video looks better but that's it.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/26/19 at 8:42 pm

Tbh, just like what other people said, 2019 doesn’t feel too futuristic, but distinct from the core 2010s. It does feel futuristic in some ways, in terms of technology compared to the mid 2000s or earlier, but not much.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/26/19 at 8:44 pm

The music is somewhat different from Early 2018 as well, which I mentioned lots of times, theres new games like Battlefield 5, and Black Ops 4, theres going to be more Disney remakes like the Lion King, and more. Game of Thrones and the Big Bang theory are ending as well.

I’d say we’re in a transitional state at the moment, wait til Late 2019, then you’ll feel the true Late 2010s/Early 2020s atmosphere, but I’d say we’re now in the Late 2010s era, apparently anyway.

Written By: Dundee on 01/26/19 at 9:11 pm

Gurl please let's be real a sec: it doesn't feel different to 2018, or 2017 for that matter.

The late 2010s going strong as ever. Not a complain tho.
J.Cole just released a banger that is sweeping the streaming sites right now.

e8CLsYzE5wk

https://media.giphy.com/media/wZFNjlEKby6mQ/giphy.gif

Written By: mc98 on 01/26/19 at 9:24 pm

I mean we're still in January. The first half of 2009 still felt like 2007-2008.

Written By: Dundee on 01/26/19 at 9:29 pm

I mean we're still in January. The first half of 2009 still felt like 2007-2008.
Wasn't it a consensus on here that already by January 2009 it felt pretty different from 2007 and first half of 2008 or something? I kind of agree with that notion, although I would not mind lumping 2009 as a whole with the other late 2000s years

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/26/19 at 9:31 pm

So the Late 2008 shift didn't happen?  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 01/26/19 at 9:43 pm

It did! But we don't need to compare stuff from a decade's past to today there aren't any rules for shifts. A shift happens when a shift happens.

Written By: mc98 on 01/26/19 at 9:44 pm

I agree that late 2008 bought new stuff to the table but I feel like we got used to the "new stuff" around mid 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/26/19 at 9:57 pm

I think 2019 is a tipping point. Oddly enough I actually feel like 2020s culture will start right on time... Like how 1980s culture started pretty much on the dot. I'm thinking early 2020 will be the start.

Written By: Dundee on 01/27/19 at 7:11 am

I think 2019 is a tipping point. Oddly enough I actually feel like 2020s culture will start right on time... Like how 1980s culture started pretty much on the dot. I'm thinking early 2020 will be the start.
1980s culture took a few years to truly start though, look how the 1980 hits are suspiciously 70s sounding.

V3MzJZ0Ygs8

I would say 1982 was the tipping point of 80s culture.

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 10:12 am

as someone who notices & feels changes rather quickly when they happen with culture  IE:  (late 2001,2008 )
I felt one brewing in 2018 but as we are now in 2019 it feels very disconnected then any other 2010s year

Written By: Dundee on 01/27/19 at 10:29 am

as someone who notices & feels changes rather quickly when they happen with culture  IE:  (late 2001,2008 )
I felt one brewing in 2018 but as we are now in 2019 it feels very disconnected then any other 2010s year
Very disconnected

Lol trying so hard to pass this failed shift dogma

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 11:47 am

Very disconnected

Lol trying so hard to pass this failed shift dogma

2019 does feel different than the early 2010s and the mid 2010s
and there was a shift that happened in 2016........

LOL at you not being able to identify when there is a shift

Written By: Dundee on 01/27/19 at 12:00 pm

You said:

we are now in 2019 it feels very disconnected then any other 2010s year

If you talked about the 2016 shift then 2019 IS connected to other late 2010s years

LOL at you not being able to stay consistent.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/27/19 at 12:05 pm

LOL at you not being able to identify when there is a shift

A small shift happened in Late 2016, but the overall themes remained the same. Hip Hop/Trap dominated over Pop, but Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, and Taylor Swift and other core 2010s artists remained popular. Netflix shows like Orange is the New Black and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt got replaced by shows like Stranger Things in popularity. In video games, PC Gaming took over console’s popularity, but 8th-Generation consoles get more advanced with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and new games like Battlefield 1 came in. Vine ended, but Instagram and Snapchat remain dominant. But the biggest shift was more on politics, with Donald Trump.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/27/19 at 12:10 pm

It’s kinda like late 1986, where a small shift happened when Dance-pop and Hair metal took over New Wave, and several shows ended or got cancelled, but shows like Miami Vice remained popular, and Madonna and Cindy Lauper were still shining. Hip Hop entered the Mainstream with Run DMC, and Janet Jackson’s music with Control changed the way synthesizers sound.

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 12:28 pm

You said: If you talked about the 2016 shift then 2019 IS connected to other late 2010s years

LOL at you not being able to stay consistent.

I am making an example of shifts and how YOU in particular are downplaying it

"guys maybe I should make the same thread again because it didn't get the response I wanted"
::)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/7b/94/947b940433bf9ff8e148e77d5d595a32.jpg

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 12:40 pm

It’s kinda like late 1986, where a small shift happened when Dance-pop and Hair metal took over New Wave, and several shows ended or got cancelled, but shows like Miami Vice remained popular, and Madonna and Cindy Lauper were still shining. Hip Hop entered the Mainstream with Run DMC, and Janet Jackson’s music with Control changed the way synthesizers sound.

and 2006 and 96

the 6 year is usually a minor shift year

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/27/19 at 12:47 pm

and 2006 and 96

the 6 year is usually a minor shift year

Yeah, and the 8 year is usually a major shift year.

The second half of the core 2010s (September 2016 to August 2018) is kinda like the mid 2010s but darker and more minimal, which is why I prefer the first half of the core 2010s (Early 2013 to August 2016) over the second half.

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 12:51 pm

Yeah, and the 8 year is usually a major shift year.

The second half of the core 2010s (September 2016 to August 2018) is kinda like the mid 2010s but darker and more minimal, which is why I prefer the first half of the core 2010s (Early 2013 to August 2016) over the second half.

without getting into decadeology and back on topic lol

I would say the mids of the 2010s were darker (muted color hues, minimalism,yeezy season) than the lates (Spiderman homecoming, neon colors back with Prada,stranger things,Fuller house)

Written By: JackSepton on 01/27/19 at 1:28 pm

The mid 10s felt the most forgettable as mid sections of decades usually are

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/19 at 1:52 pm

without getting into decadeology and back on topic lol

I would say the mids of the 2010s were darker (muted color hues, minimalism,yeezy season) than the lates (Spiderman homecoming, neon colors back with Prada,stranger things,Fuller house)

I loved the mid 2010s the most. My favourite era this decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/19 at 1:52 pm

There was no shift in 2018 at all, at least not here in Canada.

Also guys please be on your best behaviour so the mods don't lock this thread and OP please don't lock it because I made a prediction on what 2019 will be like on this thread and I wanna go back to it a year later to see it I got anything right lol. Can't do that if it gets locked

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/27/19 at 1:55 pm

In terms of politics, everything remains virtually similar, but pop culture changed by quite some margin though  :P

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/27/19 at 1:56 pm

^ Ohh so sorry, I just like talking about pop culture history  :(

Anyway, do you guys feel like 2019 is distinct from the core 2010s?

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 2:14 pm

Also guys please be on your best behaviour so the mods don't lock this thread and OP please don't lock it because I made a prediction on what 2019 will be like on this thread and I wanna go back to it a year later to see it I got anything right lol. Can't do that if it gets locked

I need to visit Canada soon lol

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 2:14 pm

In terms of politics, everything remains virtually similar, but pop culture changed by quite some margin though  :P

there was the shutdown tho that was kind of big

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 2:15 pm

^ Ohh so sorry, I just like talking about pop culture history  :(

Anyway, do you guys feel like 2019 is distinct from the core 2010s?

100%  Ava Maxxxxxxxxxx, The fall out of the Shutdown (economy has got even worse) and we are the brink of as recession

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/19 at 2:16 pm

I need to visit Canada soon lol

Honestly I didn't notice an ounce of change last year, or in 2017 for that matter. Now in 2015 and 2016? Yeah that's a different story. There were some changes then. I'm sure there will be some changes in 2019 too given we have a big election coming up.

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 2:18 pm

Honestly I didn't notice an ounce of change last year, or in 2017 for that matter. Now in 2015 and 2016? Yeah that's a different story. There were some changes then. I'm sure there will be some changes in 2019 too given we have a big election coming up.

Canada is always that place where everything is 100% opposite of whats happening in the usa

Some examples I remember

Canada's economy being good in 2009, You guys still having your version of TRL on the air (Much Music On demand)
I am forgetting a bunch of others, but I remember seeing things in Canada in 2009 that was like an extension of the core 2000s

It was like a what if scenario that the USA would be like

AomvxdDFmp0

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/19 at 2:34 pm

Canada is always that place where everything is 100% opposite of whats happening in the usa

Some examples I remember

Canada's economy being good in 2009

Well it wasn't "good" but it was compared to the U.S. because our dollar surpassed the American dollar in 2009. But we still had a recession. But for you guys it was horrible and that's where the great recession started (in the States from the bubble). We still felt the hit though along with the rest of the world. It also depends where in Canada. In 2015, the recession here in Alberta was way worse than in 2009. But in Ontario (where Slowpoke lives) they got hit very hard in 2009 and less so in 2015. Canada is a huuuge country so people in different parts may have had different experiences economy-wise. But you're right there are some distinct differences. All of Canada was in an official recession in 2015 but you guys in the U.S. we're doing better than ever and recovering from the '09 recession. We in Alberta are still recovering from the 2015 recession now but it's getting better. I hate talking about politics but the NDP here has diversified the economy quite a bit so we are not as reliant on oil.

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/19 at 2:42 pm

Some examples I remember

Canada's economy being good in 2009, You guys still having your version of TRL on the air (Much Music On demand)
I am forgetting a bunch of others, but I remember seeing things in Canada in 2009 that was like an extension of the core 2000s

AomvxdDFmp0

Since MuchMusic is a part basic cable, they are tightly regulated. If they stopped playing music (which they still do, though not as many music shows), then they would be taken off the air. MTV on the other hand, being a pay TV channel, was more free to do what it wants, so it got rid of its music shows earlier.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but that video looked early 2010s :P

Written By: mc98 on 01/27/19 at 2:48 pm

Some examples I remember

AomvxdDFmp0

Look at all those digital cameras.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/19 at 2:54 pm

AomvxdDFmp0

Leah Miller was so hot I had a crush on her when I was like 12 but she got plastic surgery and looks like a clown now  :(
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OA3gmdGbZkc/Uxs7ZUXwW1I/AAAAAAAADG0/jNssh6N36ig/s1600/Leah-Miller-Plastic-Surgery.png

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/19 at 3:14 pm

Leah Miller was so hot I had a crush on her when I was like 12 but she got plastic surgery and looks like a clown now  :(
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OA3gmdGbZkc/Uxs7ZUXwW1I/AAAAAAAADG0/jNssh6N36ig/s1600/Leah-Miller-Plastic-Surgery.png

Tragique !

Written By: Dundee on 01/27/19 at 3:29 pm

I am making an example of shifts and how YOU in particular are downplaying it

"guys maybe I should make the same thread again because it didn't get the response I wanted"
::)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/7b/94/947b940433bf9ff8e148e77d5d595a32.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/h4Z6RfuQycdiM/giphy.gif

Time to go home gurl, you're drunk again and making no sense

Also don't try to steal from my coolness, thanks

https://media.giphy.com/media/WrVwTrAFQCVb2/200.gif

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 4:00 pm

Time to go home gurl, you're drunk again and making no sense

Also don't try to steal from my coolness, thanks

https://media.giphy.com/media/WrVwTrAFQCVb2/200.gif

Written By: Paris on 01/27/19 at 4:26 pm

@johntitor  it feels futuristic because we are watching back to the future on Cinemax !

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 4:52 pm

@johntitor  it feels futuristic because we are watching back to the future on Cinemax !

sorry I was on my phone !

Written By: Paris on 01/27/19 at 4:59 pm

sorry I was on my phone !

I need to make another profile with a better nick !

Written By: Dundee on 01/27/19 at 5:01 pm

The heck are you talking about

"guys I dunno how to comeback so I just spurt random stuff in a desperate attempt to have the last word"

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 5:06 pm

I need to make another profile with a better nick !

MartyMC FLY sis............ lolol

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/27/19 at 5:09 pm

This forum makes me laugh sometimes.  ;D

Written By: John Titor on 01/27/19 at 5:15 pm

The heck are you talking about

"guys I dunno how to comeback so I just spurt random stuff in a desperate attempt to have the last word"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/%28You_Drive_Me%29_Crazy.png/220px-%28You_Drive_Me%29_Crazy.png

Written By: February2002 on 03/02/19 at 11:00 am

it does

Check for new replies or respond here...