inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The next Electropop/Teen Pop?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/19 at 1:24 pm

So as you can see from John Titor’s post about Ava Max being the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, he was right. Ava Max is already hitting the mainstream charts with Sweet but Psycho, at #83 at Billboard Hot 100, #13 on Itunes, and she’s also very popular in the UK. However, looking at Wikipedia about the song, it only says the Genre is pop, which sounds too generic, because that’s just gonna change eventually, because Ava Max is already starting another popular genre.

So Electropop was the Teen Pop of the late 90s til 9/11, and the New Wave of the mid 80s, and the Disco of the late 70s, then what’s the next electropop gonna be? Note that this is gonna be updated when Ava Max releases another song and has an actual genre name.

Electropop: 2008-2012 (Slowly faded when Hip Hop/Trap and EDM took over)

Teen Pop: 1997-2001 (Stopped with 9/11 and Teen pop artists grow more mature in music)

New Wave/Synthpop: 1981-1986 (Faded with Hair Metal and Rap taking over, especially with Michael Jackson and Madonna being the megastars of pop)

Disco: 1974-1981 (Started dying with Disco Demolition Night in 1979, but really ended in 1981, as there was still a decent amount of Disco songs being released in 1980-81)

Subject: Re: The next Electropop/Teen Pop?

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 2:14 pm

That Ava Max song is of the Future Bass genre which is a huge genre since 2016 and still making big hits (Marshmellow).

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 2:46 pm

I have already seen some of the music video production for a new video from her, its going to be like pokerface
but it has like a a bunch of people dancing inside of an apartment with blood.

I am going to assume they are doing another video for sweet but psycho, but since she has another single
coming out next month it could be for that.

as for late 90s- 2001  I would say that is not electropop but teen pop with elements of funk due to Max Martin

btw change he to she I am a woman

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/06/19 at 4:07 pm

There is literally nothing new or groundbreaking about that song. It actually sounds like more of the same but older.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/19 at 4:19 pm

Idk, I just feel like Ava Max is starting a new Genre like electropop/teen pop

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 4:21 pm

pop is going to be back I assure you, The whole pop punk thing is going to take a little longer to break.

Atlantic is using all of their resources to push Ava just like they did with Cardi

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 4:29 pm

Except it's not really a new genre, it sounds like a 2016 song with excited vocals instead of half asleep ones.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/06/19 at 4:31 pm

But her music doesn't sound new. Like...there's literally nothing innovative about it at all. Like, it's what's been relatively popular since 2009.

I kinda see what you're getting at in your prediction tho.

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 4:33 pm

So as you can see from John Titor’s post about Ava Max being the next Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, he was right. Ava Max is already hitting the mainstream charts with Sweet but Psycho, at #83 at Billboard Hot 100, #13 on Itunes, and she’s also very popular in the UK. However, looking at Wikipedia about the song, it only says the Genre is pop, which sounds too generic, because that’s just gonna change eventually, because Ava Max is already starting another popular genre.

So Electropop was the Teen Pop of the late 90s til 9/11, and the New Wave of the mid 80s, and the Disco of the late 70s, then what’s the next electropop gonna be? Note that this is gonna be updated when Ava Max releases another song and has an actual genre name.

Electropop: 2008-2012 (Slowly faded when Hip Hop/Trap and EDM took over)

Teen Pop: 1997-2001 (Stopped with 9/11 and Teen pop artists grow more mature in music)

New Wave/Synthpop: 1981-1986 (Faded with Hair Metal and Rap taking over, especially with Michael Jackson and Madonna being the megastars of pop)

Disco: 1974-1981 (Started dying with Disco Demolition Night in 1979, but really ended in 1981, as there was still a decent amount of Disco songs being released in 1980-81)

The was originally ment for Ava but it was passed onto poppy instead

kfZu5r7fDaI

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/06/19 at 4:35 pm

Except it's not really a new genre, it sounds like a 2016 song with excited vocals instead of half asleep ones.

omg. Thank you. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 4:36 pm

Oh POPPY :D :D She actually makes some surprisingly decent music and she's a freaky, interesting character ;D

Make her the new Gaga please

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 4:40 pm

Oh POPPY :D :D She actually makes some surprisingly decent music and she's a freaky, interesting character ;D

Make her the new Gaga please

she was suppose to be but she has no stage presence

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 4:44 pm

By the way, if y'all want something actually new here is SOPHIE:

es9-P1SOeHUHIE

She makes a brand of Industrial-influenced EDM that music enthusiasts like to call "Post-Club" or "Deconstructed Club".

I don't think she will ever explode onto the mainstream since this is not really masses-friendly, but I highly recommend anyway :)

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 4:47 pm

es9-P1SOeHUHIE

She makes a brand of Industrial-influenced EDM that music enthusiasts like to call "Post-Club" or "Deconstructed Club".

I don't think she will ever explode onto the mainstream since this is not really masses-friendly, but I highly recommend anyway :)

PC music, its been around since like 2015, people have already heard it,  her producers tried pitching it radio and was rejected.
High pitched vocals that are upped to sound like chimpmunk while the music is screwed and chopped. Charli XCX tried hijacking it.
She ruined her career with drug habits.

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 4:51 pm

PC music, its been around since like 2015, people have already heard it,  her producers tried pitching it radio and was rejected.
High pitched vocals that are upped to sound like chimpmunk while the music is screwed and chopped. Charli XCX tried hijacking it.
Well PC music influences is definitely one brand new direction pop music can take to go forward. Maybe they're not ready for it yet, but who knows :P Charli XCX is a forward thinker

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 5:00 pm

Well PC music influences is definitely one brand new direction pop music can take to go forward. Maybe they're not ready for it yet, but who knows :P Charli XCX is a forward thinker

not really brand new, it was brand new in like 2015 2016 2017, but too many people hijakked it.
Many commericals used it for Soda ads. Charli Xcx just steals ideas and latches onto other people.
She has been kind of blacklisted by the industry for her behavior. That is all I am going to say lol

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/19 at 5:49 pm

not really brand new, it was brand new in like 2015 2016 2017, but too many people hijakked it.
Many commericals used it for Soda ads. Charli Xcx just steals ideas and latches onto other people.
She has been kind of blacklisted by the industry for her behavior. That is all I am going to say lol
Doesn't mean Pop music shouldn't capitalize on it and bring some freshness to the radio stuff.

Charli XCX is a punker at heart, she doesn't need the industry <3

Written By: John Titor on 01/06/19 at 7:42 pm

Doesn't mean Pop music shouldn't capitalize on it and bring some freshness to the radio stuff.

Charli XCX is a punker at heart, she doesn't need the industry <3

It kind of has tho, there has been a few songs with the pc music influence.
I will say we won't be hearing from Charli for awhile due to her personal life issues.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/06/19 at 9:58 pm

es9-P1SOeHUHIE

Sophie is awesome. I think I linked this video in the 2017 music thread.

ScsgDIfZzg4

Written By: bchris02 on 01/07/19 at 11:41 am

There is literally nothing new or groundbreaking about that song. It actually sounds like more of the same but older.

I agree.  I like the song, but it could have been popular in 2010.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/07/19 at 4:33 pm

Yeah, but Sweet but Psycho shares elements from Electropop, Teen Pop, and Bubblegum pop from the 60s, so, it doesn’t seem too innovative, but maybe she might start a new genre like maybe Pop punk or synth punk, which might be the electropop of the Late 2010s/Early 2020s. Just doesn’t sound as happy as electropop though :(

Written By: Dundee on 01/07/19 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, but Sweet but Psycho shares elements from Electropop, Teen Pop, and Bubblegum pop from the 60s, so, it doesn’t seem too innovative, but maybe she might start a new genre like maybe Pop punk or synth punk, which might be the electropop of the Late 2010s/Early 2020s. Just doesn’t sound as happy as electropop though :(
Pop Punk and Synth Punk aren't new genres though  ??? ???

The only effect Ava Max might have on the long term is bringing back some enthusiasm back on the charts, and that's good if it makes way for PC music-influenced Pop to make a breakthrough 8)

Written By: John Titor on 01/07/19 at 6:25 pm

Pop Punk and Synth Punk aren't new genres though  ??? ???

The only effect Ava Max might have on the long term is bringing back some enthusiasm back on the charts, and that's good if it makes way for PC music-influenced Pop to make a breakthrough 8)

pc pop already made a breakthru and charted

Written By: Dundee on 01/07/19 at 7:40 pm

pc pop already made a breakthru and charted
Barely
I want to whole Pop scene be influenced by it :D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/19 at 10:07 pm

I think it's possbile some more guitar influenced music may come back or rock or indie but with an electronic influence. I know people were saying that on here and it never happened but it is possible. Kind of like The Chainsmoker's song This Feeling. Or this song which is popular in Canada:

hYU64Sr7isE

It's like a mix of EDM and guitar, I've noticed this trend a bit. I don't know if there is a name for the genre or if something like this will polished more later on in the early '20s and be incorporated into mainstream pop. We'll see.  :)

Written By: aja675 on 01/10/19 at 10:23 pm

I think it's possbile some more guitar influenced music may come back or rock or indie but with an electronic influence. I know people were saying that on here and it never happened but it is possible. Kind of like The Chainsmoker's song This Feeling. Or this song which is popular in Canada:

hYU64Sr7isE

It's like a mix of EDM and guitar, I've noticed this trend a bit. I don't know if there is a name for the genre or if something like this will polished more later on in the early '20s and be incorporated into mainstream pop. We'll see.  :)
Another example:

-BDImdAfodA

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/19 at 12:26 am

Another example:

-BDImdAfodA

Yeah it could definitely be a trend in the making.

Written By: xenzue on 01/11/19 at 2:33 am

hYU64Sr7isE

This seems mad 2010s to me tbh.

Written By: Dundee on 01/11/19 at 3:52 am

Guitars have been integrated into EDM for quite a while now.

xwjwCFZpdns
jzD_yyEcp0M
LdH7aFjDzjI

Check for new replies or respond here...