inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woodstock 2019 announced

Written By: Dundee on 01/09/19 at 5:26 pm

To celebrate the 50th anniversary it's back this summer
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683575133/woodstock-will-return-this-summer-for-its-50th-anniversary

No artists announced yet

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/19 at 5:47 pm

Hopefully they will not have all the nudity that was part of Woodstock 1. 

Written By: mc98 on 01/09/19 at 6:07 pm

This is the perfect climate and mood for a Woodstock. I wonder who will headline the festival.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/19 at 6:26 pm

This is the perfect climate and mood for a Woodstock. I wonder who will headline the festival.

R Kelly would certainly pack a crowd.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/19 at 6:41 pm

I hope it isn't a disaster like Woodstock 2 (1999) was. I knew someone who worked that as a vendor and he said it was more hype than anything. People were not allowed to bring food in but the food they sold was outrageously priced. (I have a Woodstock 2 souvenir Pepsi can that my mother gave me.) And then there was the "mud people" who basically was swimming in mud puddles. And they would throw people who were just walking by into the mud. They asked one woman why they did that and her answer was, "So they could be like us." She just didn't get the "Woodstock Way" about being yourself and do not conform.

You can read about some of the "highlights" here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%2799

For those of you who do not know but the original and the second one DID NOT take place in Woodstock-but was supposed to and when it was moved, they kept the name.

Side note: "The Woodstock Way" was a musical play that I preformed in at the Woodstock Playhouse back in the early '80s. It was written by a local woman. No, it wasn't about the concert but about the town during WWII.

Cat

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/19 at 11:36 pm

To be honest, I'd love to go.  And I agree, something like this is desperately needed right now.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/10/19 at 5:45 am

Actually, Cat, this is Woodstock 6, not Woodstock 3.

'79
'89 (The Forgotten Woodstock)
'94
'99

But '69 (for obvious reasons), '94, and '99 are the ones people remember.

As for guests, you think CSNY could quit fighting long enough to get back together?

Original Woodstock performers (still alive):
Grace Slick/Starship (Jefferson Airplane)
Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
The Dead & Friends (The Grateful Dead)
John Fogerty and/or Creedence Revisited
Sly and the Family Stone
Canned Heat (The original two lead singers, Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, are both dead)
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Originally in talks to play Woodstock '69, but didn't play for one reason or another:

Jeff Beck (The Jeff Beck Group broke up)
Iron Butterfly (Special guest Doug Ingle?)
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull (Maybe Ian has lightened up about hippies)
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/10/19 at 6:50 am

Who cares if there is? Naked bodies are not some terrible immoral thing. We all have them.

Unfortunately, Tull broke up a couple years ago.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/19 at 8:57 am

most likely, NO.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/19 at 8:58 am

Please, not for Woodstock. ::)

Written By: floppy on 01/10/19 at 9:08 am

Whats woodstock?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/10/19 at 9:08 am

Originally in talks to play Woodstock '69, but didn't play for one reason or another:

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

Actually, the Jeff Beck Group didn't break up at that time. They were touring America and were schedule to play Woodstock (their name even appearing on some posters), and were already ensconced at a hotel in New York ready to go to the gig, but Jeff Beck flew home in a snit because he heard his wife was having an affair with the gardener. Not kidding! Rod Stewart, the vocalist in the Jeff Beck Group, talks about it in his autobiography.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/19 at 10:58 am

'79
'94
'99

As for guests, you think CSNY could quit fighting long enough to get back together?

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Canned Heat (The original two lead singers, Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, are both dead)
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

The one I am talking about was dubbed "Woodstock 2" (maybe it was '94) which was a disaster.

I saw Jethro Tull & Bob Dylan in concert (not at the same time). I was very disappointed in Tull. My sisters went to see them in '78 and said it was one hell of a show. I saw them in the '00s, and I think Ian was kind of losing it-not to mention the acoustics were terrible.

Dylan was just AWFUL! The worst concert I have ever been to.

Cat

Written By: exodus08 on 01/10/19 at 12:41 pm

The one I am talking about was dubbed "Woodstock 2" (maybe it was '94) which was a disaster.

I saw Jethro Tull & Bob Dylan in concert (not at the same time). I was very disappointed in Tull. My sisters went to see them in '78 and said it was one hell of a show. I saw them in the '00s, and I think Ian was kind of losing it-not to mention the acoustics were terrible.

Dylan was just AWFUL! The worst concert I have ever been to.

Cat

Woodstock '99 was the disaster one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/19 at 5:42 pm

Please, not for Woodstock. ::)

Why not?  He could do a rousing sing-along of "I Believe I Can Fly" with the whole crowd singing in unison. And then a medley tribute to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, covering tunes such as "Young Girl", "This Girl is a Woman Now", "Lady Willpower", "Let's Give Adam and Eve Another Chance" and "Woman, Woman".

Before there was an R Kelly, there was Gary Puckett.  ;)

Written By: Arch Vile on 01/10/19 at 6:56 pm

'79
'94
'99

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

A lesser known band Uriah Heep is still making records, and they follow the progressive rock genre.  I think Mike Box (or another original member) is still alive.  He could come back for Woodstock.  Also, this could be a good chance for Oasis to reunite.  Wouldn't mind one of the members of Pink Floyd showing up (doubt a reunion there), even if they weren't there in 69.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/19 at 7:23 am

Why not?  He could do a rousing sing-along of "I Believe I Can Fly" with the whole crowd singing in unison. And then a medley tribute to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, covering tunes such as "Young Girl", "This Girl is a Woman Now", "Lady Willpower", "Let's Give Adam and Eve Another Chance" and "Woman, Woman".

Before there was an R Kelly, there was Gary Puckett.  ;)

NO, Just NO! For the love of God, please have R.Kelly just stay away from Woodstock.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/19 at 5:10 pm

NO, Just NO! For the love of God, please have R.Kelly just stay away from Woodstock.

How about Kanye? ???

Written By: Dundee on 01/11/19 at 5:36 pm

How about Ludacris? ???

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/19 at 7:20 pm

'79
'94
'99

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

... and don’t forget Joni Mitchell who was to play but opted to go on the Dick Cavett show instead. She penned the hit ‘Woostock’ (For CSNY) shortly after the event was ended. She managed to capture the mood of the event even though she was not there. Joni does not perform anymore and has been quite ill recently.Apparently, she’s getting better.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/19 at 8:09 pm

... and don’t forget Joni Mitchell who was to play but opted to go on the Dick Cavett show instead. She penned the hit ‘Woostock’ (For CSNY) shortly after the event was ended. She managed to capture the mood of the event even though she was not there. Joni does not perform anymore and has been quite ill recently.Apparently, she’s getting better.

It's not that she opted to go on the Dick Cavett Show instead of playing at Woodstock. She was booked to appear on the Cavett Show the Monday after Woodstock and her managers made her stay in New York for fear that she wouldn't be able to get back from Woodstock in time to make the Cavett Show taping. She was very upset about this, and it was in her New York hotel room that she wrote "Woodstock" while watching news reports of the event. If you listen to her own version it has a very mournful tone, rather than the celebratory sound of the CSNY version, because she was sorrowful she wasn't there. The ironic thing is that both CSNY and Jefferson Airplane played at Woodstock yet made it out in time to appear with Joni on the Cavett show. So she would have made it in time anyway. Stephen Stills appeared on the Cavett show with the mud of Woodstock still caked to his boots and jeans.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/11/19 at 8:12 pm

What we really need is a 50th anniversary Altamont concert with the Rolling Stones headlining and the Hells Angels once again providing security (for nostalgia's sake, of course) and the rest of the bands would just be the lineup from Woodstock '99.

And R. Kelly.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/19 at 8:24 pm

What we really need is a 50th anniversary Altamont concert with the Rolling Stones headlining and the Hells Angels once again providing security (for nostalgia's sake, of course) and the rest of the bands would just be the lineup from Woodstock '99.

And R. Kelly.  ;D

HECK YEAH. It would be great watching the Angels kick some a$$ for old times sake.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/19 at 8:26 pm

And R. Kelly.  ;D

Since it's not generally known, here is the lineup from the 1969 Altamont concert:

The Rolling Stones
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Santana
Flying Burrito Brothers
Jefferson Airplane

The Grateful Dead were scheduled to appear but pulled out when they saw what was going on. It's kind of ironic, because it is the Dead who were primarily responsible for bringing in the Hell's Angels for security in the first place.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/19 at 8:38 pm

And R. Kelly.  ;D

And while we are on the topic of Altamont, we need to end once and for all the ridiculous canard that "Altamont ended the 60s" or "killed the 60s" as is so often expressed. As if one event could "kill the 60s", for heaven't sake.  Any writer or commentator who ever says it again immediately reveals themselves to be a cultural illiterate. True, Altamont took place at the very end of the calendar 1960s, but, Altamont or no, the cultural 60s rolled right on until the end of 1972 where it finally just ran out of steam. Even the momentous event of the end of 1972, the landslide reelection of Richard Nixon, isn't responsible for "ending the 60s". By that point it was exhausted and simply petered out of it's own accord. I watched all this "go down", as we used to say. The 60s ideal had a nice run while it lasted though.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/11/19 at 10:56 pm

... and don’t forget Joni Mitchell Joni does not perform anymore and has been quite ill recently

Which is why I didn't list her. I'm merely rattling off OG Woodstock acts who are still alive and could return for this go-round. Joni obviously isn't healthy enough to perform right now.

Other Woodstock 2019 candidates I'll throw in:

Older acts (who didn't play Woodstock '69):

Bruce Springsteen
U2
Green Day (Woodstock '94)
Any of the Marleys (Rita performed with Jimmy Cliff's supergroup at Woodstock '94)
Tina Turner
Elton John
Simon and/or Garfunkel
Hall & Oates
Kenny Loggins
Peter Frampton
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blues Traveler (Woodstock '94)
Peter Gabriel
Aerosmith
Jackson Browne
Sheryl Crow ('94)
DJ Spooky ('94)
Melissa Etheridge ('94)
Salt-N-Pepa ('94)
Arrested Development ('94)
Fleetwood Mac and/or Lindsey Buckingham
Crazy Horse
Todd Rundgren
A special appearance from Wavy Gravy
The cast (a cast) from Hair!

Contemporary artists:

Halsey
Katy Perry
John Carpenter
Bahari and/or ex-Bahari singer-guitarist Sidney Sartini
Greta Van Fleet
Daya
Ruth B
Ariana Grande
Shawn Mendes
BTS
The cast of Hamilton
Bad Wolves
Aurora
Skip Marley
Bruno Mars
Logic
Alessia Cara
Khalid

Written By: annimal on 01/11/19 at 11:25 pm

?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/19 at 7:42 am

Just one word.

Bieber

Written By: Howard on 01/12/19 at 2:09 pm

How about Kanye? ???

How about NO!

Written By: Howard on 01/12/19 at 2:11 pm

How about Ludacris? ???

Nope! Woodstock was actually meant for some of The Baby Boomers.

Written By: gibbo on 01/13/19 at 2:40 am

It's not that she opted to go on the Dick Cavett Show instead of playing at Woodstock. She was booked to appear on the Cavett Show the Monday after Woodstock and her managers made her stay in New York for fear that she wouldn't be able to get back from Woodstock in time to make the Cavett Show taping. She was very upset about this, and it was in her New York hotel room that she wrote "Woodstock" while watching news reports of the event. If you listen to her own version it has a very mournful tone, rather than the celebratory sound of the CSNY version, because she was sorrowful she wasn't there. The ironic thing is that both CSNY and Jefferson Airplane played at Woodstock yet made it out in time to appear with Joni on the Cavett show. So she would have made it in time anyway. Stephen Stills appeared on the Cavett show with the mud of Woodstock still caked to his boots and jeans.

That's right .... I forgot that they were the other two featured guests on his show. I know I've watched that show on youtube and recall Stills  wearing the same poncho as at Woodstock.

Subject: Woodstock 2019 announced

Written By: Dude111 on 01/13/19 at 9:48 am

Who cares if there is? Naked bodies are not some terrible immoral thing. We all have them.

Yes and its not a big deal but I dont think anything can be as good as the original woodstock.....

Written By: Howard on 01/13/19 at 2:09 pm

Yes and its not a big deal but I dont think anything can be as good as the original woodstock.....

Back then, 50 years ago, you could prance around naked and especially wade in the ocean. I would show the pictures but we're trying to keep this as PG as possible. ;)

Written By: Dundee on 01/13/19 at 4:29 pm

Back then, 50 years ago, you could prance around naked and especially wade in the ocean. I would show the pictures but we're trying to keep this as PG as possible. ;)
Can you not censor the non-PG parts? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/19 at 5:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czFr_kJCdKQ

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/14/19 at 5:34 am

Can you not censor the non-PG parts? ???

There are quite loads of crotch shots but I don't know if you could, you might. It was just a time to be free and let your hair down.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/19 at 1:10 am

'79
'94
'99

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones
Sadly, two members of The Who have passed on, Keith Moon and John Entwhistle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/19 at 6:18 am

Will Martin Scorsese direct a feature on the concert?

Check for new replies or respond here...