inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled... and reannounced... and recancelled

Written By: Dundee on 01/09/19 at 5:26 pm

To celebrate the 50th anniversary it's back this summer
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683575133/woodstock-will-return-this-summer-for-its-50th-anniversary

No artists announced yet

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/19 at 5:47 pm

Hopefully they will not have all the nudity that was part of Woodstock 1. 

Written By: mc98 on 01/09/19 at 6:07 pm

This is the perfect climate and mood for a Woodstock. I wonder who will headline the festival.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/19 at 6:26 pm

This is the perfect climate and mood for a Woodstock. I wonder who will headline the festival.

R Kelly would certainly pack a crowd.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/19 at 6:41 pm

I hope it isn't a disaster like Woodstock 2 (1999) was. I knew someone who worked that as a vendor and he said it was more hype than anything. People were not allowed to bring food in but the food they sold was outrageously priced. (I have a Woodstock 2 souvenir Pepsi can that my mother gave me.) And then there was the "mud people" who basically was swimming in mud puddles. And they would throw people who were just walking by into the mud. They asked one woman why they did that and her answer was, "So they could be like us." She just didn't get the "Woodstock Way" about being yourself and do not conform.

You can read about some of the "highlights" here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%2799

For those of you who do not know but the original and the second one DID NOT take place in Woodstock-but was supposed to and when it was moved, they kept the name.

Side note: "The Woodstock Way" was a musical play that I preformed in at the Woodstock Playhouse back in the early '80s. It was written by a local woman. No, it wasn't about the concert but about the town during WWII.

Cat

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/19 at 11:36 pm

To be honest, I'd love to go.  And I agree, something like this is desperately needed right now.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/10/19 at 5:45 am

Actually, Cat, this is Woodstock 6, not Woodstock 3.

'79
'89 (The Forgotten Woodstock)
'94
'99

But '69 (for obvious reasons), '94, and '99 are the ones people remember.

As for guests, you think CSNY could quit fighting long enough to get back together?

Original Woodstock performers (still alive):
Grace Slick/Starship (Jefferson Airplane)
Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
The Dead & Friends (The Grateful Dead)
John Fogerty and/or Creedence Revisited
Sly and the Family Stone
Canned Heat (The original two lead singers, Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, are both dead)
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Originally in talks to play Woodstock '69, but didn't play for one reason or another:

Jeff Beck (The Jeff Beck Group broke up)
Iron Butterfly (Special guest Doug Ingle?)
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull (Maybe Ian has lightened up about hippies)
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/10/19 at 6:50 am

Who cares if there is? Naked bodies are not some terrible immoral thing. We all have them.

Unfortunately, Tull broke up a couple years ago.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/19 at 8:57 am

most likely, NO.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/19 at 8:58 am

Please, not for Woodstock. ::)

Written By: floppy on 01/10/19 at 9:08 am

Whats woodstock?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/10/19 at 9:08 am

Originally in talks to play Woodstock '69, but didn't play for one reason or another:

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

Actually, the Jeff Beck Group didn't break up at that time. They were touring America and were schedule to play Woodstock (their name even appearing on some posters), and were already ensconced at a hotel in New York ready to go to the gig, but Jeff Beck flew home in a snit because he heard his wife was having an affair with the gardener. Not kidding! Rod Stewart, the vocalist in the Jeff Beck Group, talks about it in his autobiography.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/19 at 10:58 am

'79
'94
'99

As for guests, you think CSNY could quit fighting long enough to get back together?

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Canned Heat (The original two lead singers, Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, are both dead)
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

The one I am talking about was dubbed "Woodstock 2" (maybe it was '94) which was a disaster.

I saw Jethro Tull & Bob Dylan in concert (not at the same time). I was very disappointed in Tull. My sisters went to see them in '78 and said it was one hell of a show. I saw them in the '00s, and I think Ian was kind of losing it-not to mention the acoustics were terrible.

Dylan was just AWFUL! The worst concert I have ever been to.

Cat

Written By: exodus08 on 01/10/19 at 12:41 pm

The one I am talking about was dubbed "Woodstock 2" (maybe it was '94) which was a disaster.

I saw Jethro Tull & Bob Dylan in concert (not at the same time). I was very disappointed in Tull. My sisters went to see them in '78 and said it was one hell of a show. I saw them in the '00s, and I think Ian was kind of losing it-not to mention the acoustics were terrible.

Dylan was just AWFUL! The worst concert I have ever been to.

Cat

Woodstock '99 was the disaster one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/19 at 5:42 pm

Please, not for Woodstock. ::)

Why not?  He could do a rousing sing-along of "I Believe I Can Fly" with the whole crowd singing in unison. And then a medley tribute to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, covering tunes such as "Young Girl", "This Girl is a Woman Now", "Lady Willpower", "Let's Give Adam and Eve Another Chance" and "Woman, Woman".

Before there was an R Kelly, there was Gary Puckett.  ;)

Written By: Arch Vile on 01/10/19 at 6:56 pm

'79
'94
'99

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

A lesser known band Uriah Heep is still making records, and they follow the progressive rock genre.  I think Mike Box (or another original member) is still alive.  He could come back for Woodstock.  Also, this could be a good chance for Oasis to reunite.  Wouldn't mind one of the members of Pink Floyd showing up (doubt a reunion there), even if they weren't there in 69.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/19 at 7:23 am

Why not?  He could do a rousing sing-along of "I Believe I Can Fly" with the whole crowd singing in unison. And then a medley tribute to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, covering tunes such as "Young Girl", "This Girl is a Woman Now", "Lady Willpower", "Let's Give Adam and Eve Another Chance" and "Woman, Woman".

Before there was an R Kelly, there was Gary Puckett.  ;)

NO, Just NO! For the love of God, please have R.Kelly just stay away from Woodstock.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/19 at 5:10 pm

NO, Just NO! For the love of God, please have R.Kelly just stay away from Woodstock.

How about Kanye? ???

Written By: Dundee on 01/11/19 at 5:36 pm

How about Ludacris? ???

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/19 at 7:20 pm

'79
'94
'99

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones

... and don’t forget Joni Mitchell who was to play but opted to go on the Dick Cavett show instead. She penned the hit ‘Woostock’ (For CSNY) shortly after the event was ended. She managed to capture the mood of the event even though she was not there. Joni does not perform anymore and has been quite ill recently.Apparently, she’s getting better.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/19 at 8:09 pm

... and don’t forget Joni Mitchell who was to play but opted to go on the Dick Cavett show instead. She penned the hit ‘Woostock’ (For CSNY) shortly after the event was ended. She managed to capture the mood of the event even though she was not there. Joni does not perform anymore and has been quite ill recently.Apparently, she’s getting better.

It's not that she opted to go on the Dick Cavett Show instead of playing at Woodstock. She was booked to appear on the Cavett Show the Monday after Woodstock and her managers made her stay in New York for fear that she wouldn't be able to get back from Woodstock in time to make the Cavett Show taping. She was very upset about this, and it was in her New York hotel room that she wrote "Woodstock" while watching news reports of the event. If you listen to her own version it has a very mournful tone, rather than the celebratory sound of the CSNY version, because she was sorrowful she wasn't there. The ironic thing is that both CSNY and Jefferson Airplane played at Woodstock yet made it out in time to appear with Joni on the Cavett show. So she would have made it in time anyway. Stephen Stills appeared on the Cavett show with the mud of Woodstock still caked to his boots and jeans.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/11/19 at 8:12 pm

What we really need is a 50th anniversary Altamont concert with the Rolling Stones headlining and the Hells Angels once again providing security (for nostalgia's sake, of course) and the rest of the bands would just be the lineup from Woodstock '99.

And R. Kelly.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/19 at 8:24 pm

What we really need is a 50th anniversary Altamont concert with the Rolling Stones headlining and the Hells Angels once again providing security (for nostalgia's sake, of course) and the rest of the bands would just be the lineup from Woodstock '99.

And R. Kelly.  ;D

HECK YEAH. It would be great watching the Angels kick some a$$ for old times sake.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/19 at 8:26 pm

And R. Kelly.  ;D

Since it's not generally known, here is the lineup from the 1969 Altamont concert:

The Rolling Stones
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Santana
Flying Burrito Brothers
Jefferson Airplane

The Grateful Dead were scheduled to appear but pulled out when they saw what was going on. It's kind of ironic, because it is the Dead who were primarily responsible for bringing in the Hell's Angels for security in the first place.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/19 at 8:38 pm

And R. Kelly.  ;D

And while we are on the topic of Altamont, we need to end once and for all the ridiculous canard that "Altamont ended the 60s" or "killed the 60s" as is so often expressed. As if one event could "kill the 60s", for heaven't sake.  Any writer or commentator who ever says it again immediately reveals themselves to be a cultural illiterate. True, Altamont took place at the very end of the calendar 1960s, but, Altamont or no, the cultural 60s rolled right on until the end of 1972 where it finally just ran out of steam. Even the momentous event of the end of 1972, the landslide reelection of Richard Nixon, isn't responsible for "ending the 60s". By that point it was exhausted and simply petered out of it's own accord. I watched all this "go down", as we used to say. The 60s ideal had a nice run while it lasted though.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/11/19 at 10:56 pm

... and don’t forget Joni Mitchell Joni does not perform anymore and has been quite ill recently

Which is why I didn't list her. I'm merely rattling off OG Woodstock acts who are still alive and could return for this go-round. Joni obviously isn't healthy enough to perform right now.

Other Woodstock 2019 candidates I'll throw in:

Older acts (who didn't play Woodstock '69):

Bruce Springsteen
U2
Green Day (Woodstock '94)
Any of the Marleys (Rita performed with Jimmy Cliff's supergroup at Woodstock '94)
Tina Turner
Elton John
Simon and/or Garfunkel
Hall & Oates
Kenny Loggins
Peter Frampton
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blues Traveler (Woodstock '94)
Peter Gabriel
Aerosmith
Jackson Browne
Sheryl Crow ('94)
DJ Spooky ('94)
Melissa Etheridge ('94)
Salt-N-Pepa ('94)
Arrested Development ('94)
Fleetwood Mac and/or Lindsey Buckingham
Crazy Horse
Todd Rundgren
A special appearance from Wavy Gravy
The cast (a cast) from Hair!

Contemporary artists:

Halsey
Katy Perry
John Carpenter
Bahari and/or ex-Bahari singer-guitarist Sidney Sartini
Greta Van Fleet
Daya
Ruth B
Ariana Grande
Shawn Mendes
BTS
The cast of Hamilton
Bad Wolves
Aurora
Skip Marley
Bruno Mars
Logic
Alessia Cara
Khalid

Written By: annimal on 01/11/19 at 11:25 pm

?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/19 at 7:42 am

Just one word.

Bieber

Written By: Howard on 01/12/19 at 2:09 pm

How about Kanye? ???

How about NO!

Written By: Howard on 01/12/19 at 2:11 pm

How about Ludacris? ???

Nope! Woodstock was actually meant for some of The Baby Boomers.

Written By: gibbo on 01/13/19 at 2:40 am

It's not that she opted to go on the Dick Cavett Show instead of playing at Woodstock. She was booked to appear on the Cavett Show the Monday after Woodstock and her managers made her stay in New York for fear that she wouldn't be able to get back from Woodstock in time to make the Cavett Show taping. She was very upset about this, and it was in her New York hotel room that she wrote "Woodstock" while watching news reports of the event. If you listen to her own version it has a very mournful tone, rather than the celebratory sound of the CSNY version, because she was sorrowful she wasn't there. The ironic thing is that both CSNY and Jefferson Airplane played at Woodstock yet made it out in time to appear with Joni on the Cavett show. So she would have made it in time anyway. Stephen Stills appeared on the Cavett show with the mud of Woodstock still caked to his boots and jeans.

That's right .... I forgot that they were the other two featured guests on his show. I know I've watched that show on youtube and recall Stills  wearing the same poncho as at Woodstock.

Subject: Woodstock 2019 announced

Written By: Dude111 on 01/13/19 at 9:48 am

Who cares if there is? Naked bodies are not some terrible immoral thing. We all have them.

Yes and its not a big deal but I dont think anything can be as good as the original woodstock.....

Written By: Howard on 01/13/19 at 2:09 pm

Yes and its not a big deal but I dont think anything can be as good as the original woodstock.....

Back then, 50 years ago, you could prance around naked and especially wade in the ocean. I would show the pictures but we're trying to keep this as PG as possible. ;)

Written By: Dundee on 01/13/19 at 4:29 pm

Back then, 50 years ago, you could prance around naked and especially wade in the ocean. I would show the pictures but we're trying to keep this as PG as possible. ;)
Can you not censor the non-PG parts? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/19 at 5:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czFr_kJCdKQ

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/14/19 at 5:34 am

Can you not censor the non-PG parts? ???

There are quite loads of crotch shots but I don't know if you could, you might. It was just a time to be free and let your hair down.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/19 at 1:10 am

'79
'94
'99

Joan Baez
The Who
Melanie
Arlo Guthrie
Country Joe McDonald
John Sebastian
CSNY
Santana
Mountain/Leslie West
Sly and the Family Stone
Robbie Robertson
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Sha Na Na

Led Zeppelin
Paul and Ringo
Bob Dylan
The Stones
Sadly, two members of The Who have passed on, Keith Moon and John Entwhistle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/19 at 6:18 am

Will Martin Scorsese direct a feature on the concert?

Written By: THE Y2K ERA on 02/04/19 at 11:00 am

will there be a stream

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/19 at 11:48 am

No doubt the tickets will be expensive?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/04/19 at 10:15 pm

will there be a stream

Who knows but it sadly wont make it better though :(

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/04/19 at 11:35 pm

I'll go if there are good enough artists I want to see. I remember being in Buffalo during 99 Woodstock. A complete sh!tshow from what I saw on the TV.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/19 at 7:23 am

Who knows but it sadly wont make it better though :(

You can always watch the live concert from 50 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/19 at 3:00 pm

You can always watch the live concert from 50 years ago.
All four days?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/05/19 at 3:47 pm

Yup its on 2 VHS tapes and its goregous..... The only orignal ANALOGUE copy is the first 1979 WCI HOME VIDEO release......

I have the records (5 (Including "Woodstock 2" (Even more from W69))),cassettes (2) and VHS (2) all first releases....

Written By: Howard on 02/06/19 at 2:36 pm

All four days?

Yes I believe you can watch it in parts.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/20/19 at 12:22 am

https://twitter.com/woodstockfest/status/1108148798973493250

Lots of original Woodstock performers (and other from that era), no surprise there (except Country Joe McDonald is still alive? I hope he reprises his Fixing to Die Rag. "1, 2, 3, yeah, what are we fighting for?"). And a healthy mix of classic and contemporary artists.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 12:45 am

Lots of original Woodstock performers (and other from that era), no surprise there (except Country Joe McDonald is still alive? I hope he reprises his Fixing to Die Rag. "1, 2, 3, yeah, what are we fighting for?"). And a healthy mix of classic and contemporary artists.
How much are the tickets?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 1:30 am

Will it rain again?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/19 at 5:29 am

I see that Miley Cyrus is on the bill. I guess that settles the question as to whether or not there will be any nudity at this Woodstock.

Awful lot of no-name acts on the lineup though...

Written By: Dundee on 03/20/19 at 6:39 am

I see that Miley Cyrus is on the bill. I guess that settles the question as to whether or not there will be any nudity at this Woodstock.
You're still stuck in 2013-15 I see

Written By: Dude111 on 03/20/19 at 12:18 pm

Will it rain again?

Ah man!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 12:49 pm

Ah man!!
We need a long range weather forecast.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/19 at 3:09 pm

How much are the tickets?

I will check.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/19 at 3:10 pm

She is a disgrace for Woodstock! ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 3:11 pm

I will check.
You plan to go?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 3:14 pm

She is a disgrace for Woodstock! ::)
We can only wait and see?

Written By: Howard on 03/20/19 at 3:52 pm

You plan to go?

No I don't think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 4:01 pm

No I don't think so.
If you you go, you may need more than an umbrella?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/20/19 at 5:43 pm

I wanna go! But, I can't.  :-[

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/19 at 5:59 pm

She just did another nudie pic a couple of days ago.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/19 at 6:34 pm

GIVE ME AN F!  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATyZBEeDJ4

Love this song.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/19 at 6:51 pm

GIVE ME AN F!  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATyZBEeDJ4

Love this song.

Cat

;D  :o  ;D  :o  ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 03/20/19 at 10:57 pm

We need a long range weather forecast.

It will be sunny the first day then thunderstorms off and on for the remainder.....

Highs in the upper 80s/lows in the 60s

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/21/19 at 12:13 am

It's almost a given that Melanie is gonna sing "Beautiful People." We definitely need that song in 2019.

RwHar0j_R_c

Written By: Howard on 03/21/19 at 7:39 am

If you you go, you may need more than an umbrella?

Weather forecast for New York in August from what I saw just hot and humid 85-90 degrees.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/19 at 4:50 pm

It's almost a given that Melanie is gonna sing "Beautiful People." We definitely need that song in 2019.

RwHar0j_R_c

I am friends with her sister. Never met her, though.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/19 at 4:31 pm

She just did another nudie pic a couple of days ago.

And yet again, Miley just did yet ANOTHER nude photo shoot, this time with her dog. Does this girl know no limits? ???

https://www.eonline.com/news/1026270/miley-cyrus-shares-nude-sunbathing-photo-with-dog-on-national-puppy-day

Written By: Dundee on 03/24/19 at 4:50 pm

And yet again, Miley just did yet ANOTHER nude photo shoot, this time with her dog. Does this girl know no limits? ???

https://www.eonline.com/news/1026270/miley-cyrus-shares-nude-sunbathing-photo-with-dog-on-national-puppy-day
My bad then, I thought you refered to her crazy, crass and sexually explicit attics she used to do on scene.

Never understood what's so shoking about nudie pics, it's just a human body. Maybe if you're like 6 I would see why, but otherwise...

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/19 at 5:26 pm

My bad then, I thought you refered to her crazy, crass and sexually explicit attics she used to do on scene.

Well, there’s that too.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/29/19 at 8:18 pm

Woodstock just got shot down by The Man, man.

Woodstock 50 cancelled by investors

On Monday morning, Billboard published a statement from Amplifi Live, a Dentsu Aegis division, that read in part: "Despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don't believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees. ... As a result and after careful consideration, Dentsu Aegis Network's Amplifi Live, a partner of Woodstock 50, has decided to cancel the festival. As difficult as it is, we believe this is the most prudent decision for all parties involved."

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/29/19 at 8:51 pm

Woodstock just got shot down by The Man, man.

Woodstock 50 cancelled by investors

Frankly, I'm glad this happened. Woodstock was a one time event, case closed. It cannot be recreated, given that so much of what it was happened by accident and serendipity. To have it simply reduced to a "brand" is anathema to the 60s ideal that spawned Woodstock in the first place. Michael Lang has been living off of the fumes of Woodstock for the past 50 years and he needs to give it a rest now. If they want to have a big concert go and have a big concert. Just don't call it Woodstock.

Written By: Dude111 on 04/30/19 at 1:12 am

I agree...... Music is crap now.... Not worthy of "WOODSTOCK"

Woodstock 69 was fabulous
Woodstock 94 was ok

The rest sucked!!!!!!! (I dont just say that cause of digital...... The music isnt as good,etc.....)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/19 at 4:52 am

Shoot. And here I was planning to see more shocking nudity from Miley Cyrus.  :P

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/30/19 at 6:09 am

(I dont just say that cause of digital...... The music isnt as good,etc.....)

I couldn't disagree more... unless you only mean crap like Justin Bieber and not good music like Halsey, BTS, Billie Eilish, Blackpink, Bahari, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Khalid, Normani. Just because it's not as good as old music doesn't mean "It's not good, period." Or maybe I just have a higher tolerance for it.

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled

Written By: Howard on 04/30/19 at 7:22 am

I think it's a good idea that it was canceled, it's impossible to create nostalgia that once was from 50 years ago. That was 1969, we're heading into the 2020's and most of the artists that were there in 1969 are now either have passed away or just declined to be at the event.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/19 at 7:24 am

Frankly, I'm glad this happened. Woodstock was a one time event, case closed. It cannot be recreated, given that so much of what it was happened by accident and serendipity. To have it simply reduced to a "brand" is anathema to the 60s ideal that spawned Woodstock in the first place. Michael Lang has been living off of the fumes of Woodstock for the past 50 years and he needs to give it a rest now. If they want to have a big concert go and have a big concert. Just don't call it Woodstock.

Then what do you call it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/19 at 1:45 pm

Woodstock 69 was fabulous
Woodstock 94 was ok

The rest sucked!!!!!!! (I dont just say that cause of digital...... The music isnt as good,etc.....)
Agreed!

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/30/19 at 2:51 pm

Yeah I think that Woodstock should be left as it is really. No more rehashes, just let it be that one time event that happened in the 60's!

Written By: Howard on 05/01/19 at 3:06 pm

Yeah I think that Woodstock should be left as it is really. No more rehashes, just let it be that one time event that happened in the 60's!

Exactly!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/19 at 12:21 pm

Just re-release the Martin Scorsese's movie

Just a correction---the "Woodstock" movie is not Martin Scorsese's movie. I don't know how that meme started. Filmmaker Michael Wadleigh made the film. Scorsese, whose career was in it's infancy at that point, is credited as only one of seven editors involved. A rather minor role.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/19 at 12:40 pm

Here is an article from Fortune magazine that makes very valid points about why this  so-called "Woodstock 50" will not and should not take place:

http://fortune.com/2019/05/02/why-woodstock-50-wont-happen/

Written By: Howard on 05/03/19 at 12:47 pm

Here is an article from Fortune magazine that makes very valid points about why this  so-called "Woodstock 50" will not and should not take place:

http://fortune.com/2019/05/02/why-woodstock-50-wont-happen/

You just can't create the magic from what it used to be 50 years ago, like the saying goes, "Leave the memories alone".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/19 at 3:13 pm

Just re-release the Martin Scorsese's movie!

Subject: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled

Written By: Dude111 on 05/08/19 at 3:23 am

I read something the other day they decided not to cancel it...

www.woodstock.com

Ah man!!

Written By: Howard on 05/08/19 at 2:43 pm

Just re-release the Martin Scorsese's movie!

Or you can just watch the original concert from 1969.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 11:53 am

Or you can just watch the original concert from 1969.
One of the same!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/19 at 1:06 pm

One of the same!

I repeat yet again, Martin Scorsese never made any film about Woodstock. Scorsese's main career didn't begin until the early 1970s. He wasn't anybody of any note in 1969, and certainly would not have been a director of a movie about a major event like this. The famed "Woodstock" movie, released in 1970, one year after the concert, was made by Michael Wadleigh. Scorsese is credited as one of seven editors of Wadleigh's film, which is a very minor role to say the least. It certainly isn't HIS film by any means. Neither can one just "watch the original 1969 concert", as is sometimes put forth here. The movie condenses a three (four, actually) day festival into three hours. And it does it well. But it's just a small distillation of the entire mammoth event. Do not confuse it with something like Live Aid in 1985 which was broadcast from beginning to end on MTV, and survives in it's entirety on videotape.

Likewise, the triple "Woodstock" album that was released  (and it's followup, the double album "Woodstock 2") is just a cross section of some of the performances.

HOWEVER, in conjunction with the 50th anniversary, an audio CD set is being released of the ENTIRE concert. 38 CDs, 432 songs. I never thought I'd see the day. Of course, it will retail for close to $400.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 1:09 pm

I repeat yet again, Martin Scorsese never made any film about Woodstock. Scorsese's main career didn't begin until the early 1970s. He wasn't anybody of any note in 1969, and certainly would not have been a director of a movie about a major event like this. The famed "Woodstock" movie, released in 1970, one year after the concert, was made by Michael Wadleigh. Scorsese is credited as one of seven editors of Wadleigh's film, which is a very minor role to say the least. It certainly isn't HIS film by any means. Neither can one just "watch the original 1969 concert", as is sometimes put forth here. The movie condenses a three (four, actually) day festival into three hours. And it does it well. But it's just a small distillation of the entire mammoth event. Do not confuse it with something like Live Aid in 1985 which was broadcast from beginning to end on MTV, and survives in it's entirety on videotape.

Likewise, the triple "Woodstock" album that was released  (and it's followup, the double album "Woodstock 2") is just a cross section of some of the performances.

HOWEVER, in conjunction with the 50th anniversary, an audio CD set is being released of the ENTIRE concert. 38 CDs, 432 songs. I never thought I'd see the day. Of course, it will retail for close to $400.  :o
Thanks, with all these years come by, I always thought he directed or was one of the directors of that film.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/19 at 1:19 pm

Thanks, with all these years come by, I always thought he directed or was one of the directors of that film.

You might be confusing it with 1978's "The Last Waltz" which is a Scorsese production from beginning to end and is widely considered one of the best concert documentaries. I never thought it was as big a deal as everybody makes it out to be, but it's certainly a decent watch. Some of the  "Last Waltz" performers including The Band (who the documentary is about) and Neil Young played at Woodstock also.

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled... and reannounced

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 1:20 pm

You might be confusing it with 1978's "The Last Waltz" which is a Scorsese production from beginning to end and is widely considered one of the best concert documentaries. I never thought it was as big a deal as everybody makes it out to be, but it's certainly a decent watch. Some of the  "Last Waltz" performers including The Band (who the documentary is about) and Neil Young played at Woodstock also.
Yes, you are right there.

Many thanks.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/19 at 2:28 pm

One of the same!

But it's pretty good, comes in 4 parts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 2:29 pm

But it's pretty good, comes in 4 parts.
My sister told me it was a long film, and she sneaked in under age.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/19 at 5:38 pm

Jay Z has announced that he is backing out of the Woodstock 50 event.

Miley Cyrus is still on board though.  8)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/26/19 at 11:23 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7289121/John-Fogerty-pulls-troubled-Woodstock-50-festival.html

The old man is no longer down the road.

Written By: annimal on 07/27/19 at 10:05 am

Is that bird still hanging around with Snoopy?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/30/19 at 3:12 am

1, 2, 3, yeah... what are we fighting for?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/country-joe-mcdonald-john-sebastian-woodstock-50-865039/

You didn't have to be so nice.  :(

Is Iron Butterfly available? :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/19 at 5:01 am

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/country-joe-mcdonald-john-sebastian-woodstock-50-865039/

John Sebastian dropped out? What a bummer. I was looking forward to him opening up the show, singing the theme song from Welcome Back Kotter.

On the other hand, this provides more time for Miley Cyrus to extend her set.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/19 at 7:41 am

John Sebastian dropped out? What a bummer. I was looking forward to him opening up the show, singing the theme song from Welcome Back Kotter.

On the other hand, this provides more time for Miley Cyrus to extend her set.

Who else dropped out?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/31/19 at 7:46 pm

Miley's out...

...and so is Woodstock itself.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/woodstock-50-michael-lang-interview-865861/

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/01/19 at 6:54 pm

Miley's out...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/woodstock-50-michael-lang-interview-865861/

Man, that stinks. Too bad InThe00s does not have video and audio capability. We could then ask Miley to give us a private performance.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/19 at 7:59 am

Miley's out...

maybe they'll try again in 2024.

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled... and reannounced... and cancelled 2

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/19 at 2:53 pm

Annoying

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled... and reannounced... and recancelled

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 7:37 am

maybe they'll try again in 2024.
...but this year is the 50th anniversary?

Subject: Re: Woodstock 2019 announced... and cancelled... and reannounced... and recancelled

Written By: Howard on 08/06/19 at 9:18 am

...but this year is the 50th anniversary?

Maybe when they're up to their 55th anniversary.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 9:20 am

Maybe when they're up to their 55th anniversary.
50th is special...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 5:55 am

There is a big screening of the "Woodstock" film in London this week, tickets are limited.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/15/19 at 10:21 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/festivals/8527506/woodstock-89-oral-history-forgotten-woodstock

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/woodstock-playlist-hits-anniversary-rock-funk-soul-music-1969-a9057311.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/50-years-after-they-met-at-woodstock-couple-finally-finds-a-photo-of-their-first-hours-together/ar-AAFOmBs

https://www.npr.org/2013/04/29/179824513/richie-havens-on-mountain-stage

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/gabrielsanchez/miserable-woodstock-history

Um, yeah. Sure.  ::)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2019/aug/15/woodstock-at-50-three-days-of-peace-pictures

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2019/08/15/the-woodstock-artists-you-can-forget-and-others-you-didn-know-about/PAyYoP7XjotzVI67T7Gs9J/story.htm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49276979

Today officially marks the 50th anniversary of the first day of Woodstock.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/19 at 3:09 pm

I have figured it out (with the help of an article I read-I think in the Washington Post). Woodstock was just a magical moment. People who didn't go to it, WISH they did and there were a few people who CLAIMED to have gone when they didn't. Yeah, there were problems-the rain, the mud, the traffic, and fact that a few people died, when they turned it into a free concert p!ssed off the people who had paid, etc. But what made it magic was the fact that most of the people there were tired of the war and they wanted peace. That was the theme of those 3 days. All of those people pretty much lived in harmony that weekend.

Over the years they tried to recapture that magic but it never worked for several reasons. First and foremost is because they tried to do it to make a buck. In 1999, they sold water for an outrageous price. The water system wasn't working too well so you couldn't really get water out of the water fountains. The bathrooms weren't working right either. And those so-called "mud people" who were frolicking in the mud puddles, they didn't realized that there was human waste in those mud puddles.  8-P  And then there were the sexual harassment/rapes.

The original Woodstock was never about the money. Every one after was ALL about the money-it was never about the peace and the music. That is why they can never recapture that magic.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...