inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016 fads that died out too soon

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/17/19 at 5:01 pm

Well, we had a lot of fads in 2016 that are forgotten, like Pokemon GO, Musically, the Running Man Challenge, and the cringy dabs. You also had events like the Warriors losing to the Cavaliers in the NBA, and had multiple memes like ‘WARRIORS BLEW A 3-1 LEAD.’ Pop stars like Daya and Alessia Cara were only popular in 2016 (Alessia was somewhat popular in 2017, just not as big), and EDM was at its peak with the Chainsmokers, Marshmello, Zedd, etc. So what was your most and least favourite 2016 fad?

Subject: Re: 2016 fads that died out too soon

Written By: Dundee on 01/17/19 at 6:20 pm

I remember Musical.ly more as a 2017 thing. Then again it technically still exists, even though under the form of TikTok which is closer to Vine then to its previous incarnation.

Pokémon Go was fun to use in the summer of 2016, but I got bored of it around the same time it faded into the background. So I guess you talk about a "synchronized fatigue" ;D.

There was the Mannequin challenge which I didn't like to do (but was forced to do anyway).

I certainly don't miss the music of 2016. I personally think 2018 blew 2016 completely out of the water when it comes to music.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/17/19 at 6:56 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Red_self-balancing_two-wheeled_board_with_a_person_standing_on_it.png

I’ve never had one, but lately I’ve wanted to get a hover board

Written By: exodus08 on 01/17/19 at 8:14 pm

I remember Musical.ly more as a 2017 thing. Then again it technically still exists, even though under the form of TikTok which is closer to Vine then to its previous incarnation.

Pokémon Go was fun to use in the summer of 2016, but I got bored of it around the same time it faded into the background. So I guess you talk about a "synchronized fatigue" ;D.

There was the Mannequin challenge which I didn't like to do (but was forced to do anyway).

I certainly don't miss the music of 2016. I personally think 2018 blew 2016 completely out of the water when it comes to music.

I agree! 2018 Music was better than 2016

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/19 at 11:43 pm

Well, we had a lot of fads in 2016 that are forgotten, like Pokemon GO, Musically, the Running Man Challenge, and the cringy dabs. You also had events like the Warriors losing to the Cavaliers in the NBA, and had multiple memes like ‘WARRIORS BLEW A 3-1 LEAD.’ Pop stars like Daya and Alessia Cara were only popular in 2016 (Alessia was somewhat popular in 2017, just not as big), and EDM was at its peak with the Chainsmokers, Marshmello, Zedd, etc. So what was your most and least favourite 2016 fad?

I think 2016 was setting up a culture that never quite happened because Trump was elected.  I think the late '10s would have turned out very differently had Trump lost.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/18/19 at 12:13 am

Pokemon Go is something I wish would have lasted longer.  It was great to see so many people getting out and active that otherwise wouldn't.

I agree with you on the music.  I think 2013-16 was a weak era for music but 2016 stands out among them as being especially bad.  There were a few good songs that year though.  Music steadily improved from the end of 2016 onward.  We'll see what 2019 brings to the table but it will be difficult to top 2018 for music.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/18/19 at 1:44 am

I think 2016 was setting up a culture that never quite happened because Trump was elected.  I think the late '10s would have turned out very differently had Trump lost.

The whole world doesn't revolve around Trump...I highly doubt that the Late 2010s would have dramatically different had Trump not been elected.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/18/19 at 7:54 am

Pokemon Go is something I wish would have lasted longer.  It was great to see so many people getting out and active that otherwise wouldn't.

I agree with you on the music.  I think 2013-16 was a weak era for music but 2016 stands out among them as being especially bad.  There were a few good songs that year though.  Music steadily improved from the end of 2016 onward.  We'll see what 2019 brings to the table but it will be difficult to top 2018 for music.

I agree. It was fun at first, walking across the streets of Regina, finding pokemons. But then people got tired of it after 1 month, because all it was was finding pokemons, that’s it. Another fad that died out too soon was No Man’s Sky. Despite the game’s beautiful graphics, and it took the developers lots of time and effort into the game, it was a flop, not even 1 month it lasted, because you have to discover 18 quntillion planets just to finish the game.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/18/19 at 8:08 am

Funny thing is, people thought that flipping bottles were cool in 2016-17, and I was part of it  ;D But yeah, 2016 was the peak year of the 2010s, and the short-lived year of fads. And then you had memes like Harambe, Damn Daniel, and dangerous devices like the Note 7, which again, would’ve been a great phone but the batteries in there were crap. There were YouTubers like LeafyIsHere that were popular in 2016, but they no longer make videos.  Snapchat filters were so trendy back then, around 2015 to mid 2017, but again, it died out too soon. Juju on dat beat was definitely one weird song, but a fun one to dance to, Work by Rihanna was another song that got overshadowed quickly, because it was annoying. Daya had like 3 popular songs like Hideaway, Sit Still Look Pretty, and Don’t let me down, and after that, she’s no longer popular. Same with Alessia Cara, she had only 4 or 5 popular songs like Here, Wild things, Scars to your beautiful, etc. Tbh, I miss 2016, it was a fun year, despite Trump of course. I miss the music, when EDM was dominant with the Chainsmokers, you still had megastars of pop like Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Ariana Grande topping the charts, and Vine was still around during the time. Roblox was fun before, as Fortnite still wasn’t a thing yet. Memes in 2016 are better than today, they’re funnier and they made more sense.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/18/19 at 8:06 pm

I thought 2012 was peak 2010s but I'm just an old Millennial. Don't mind me.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/18/19 at 9:13 pm

Ahh I see, 2012 was a fun year! Electropop and Dubstep were still popular, and there was very little mumble rap in hip hop still, when you had Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore, Nicki Minaj, etc. Rihanna and Katy Perry still made songs during the time, and you had dubstep artists like Skrillex. -Sigh- Good times of music. Besides music, Disney channel shows like Phineas and Ferb and Hey Jessie were still popular, and movies like Spider Man and the Avengers. I remember playing lots of Minecraft and Roblox as a little kid, hehe (I’m 14 almost 15 in March now), and playing AC Brotherhood and Halo 4 on the Xbox 360. Good times ;)

Written By: Dundee on 01/18/19 at 9:43 pm

I agree, although more so 2013 since it's both linked to the early and later years.

2016 was more of a parody of a 2010s year.

and there was very little mumble rap in hip hop still, when you had Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore, Nicki Minaj, etc.

I don't remember much Hip Hop being popular in 2012 to be honest with you, unless of course you consider consider this to be Hip Hop somehow:

SeIJmciN8mo

Macklemore is definitely someone that exploded more so in 2013 than '12.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/19 at 4:31 am

Lmao I love this description ;D

Written By: mc98 on 01/19/19 at 8:36 am

2016, as Shruggie pointed out, is a parody of a 2010s year and I find no lie in that.

It was the year where EDM such as Chainsmokers and Tropical House ruled the airwaves. Trap is also dominant this year with Future and a Future clone. Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Drake, Shawn Mendes, and Meghan Trainor were all popular in 2016.

Vine was still very relevant but has gotten stale at the same time. I feel like this was a peak year for Snapchat and Instagram, I remember I was so addictive to those, not a lot right now. Pokémon Go was massive for at least 3 months. I also remember the hover boards that many kids at my high school rode on.

The memes were kinda iconic that year. You had a handful of Spongebob memes. There was Damn Daniel, which was my least favorite meme. Harambe was just so ridiculous it’s kinda funny. The election that year gave us so many funny memes that it made me less serious about the election lol. I remember watching Youtubers like Leafy and Filthy Frank.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/19/19 at 2:32 pm

I agree, although more so 2013 since it's both linked to the early and later years.

I don't remember much Hip Hop being popular in 2012 to be honest with you, unless of course you consider consider this to be Hip Hop somehow:

SeIJmciN8mo

Macklemore is definitely someone that exploded more so in 2013 than '12.

Is it me or "did the lights dim" in 2013? 2010-2012 was zaney and colorful and then it felt like someone came along and dimmed the lights on pop culture.

Written By: mc98 on 01/19/19 at 3:52 pm

Is it me or "did the lights dim" in 2013? 2010-2012 was zaney and colorful and then it felt like someone came along and dimmed the lights on pop culture.

Thank Lorde for that.

Written By: Dundee on 01/19/19 at 4:06 pm

Thank Lorde for that.
Yeah she definitely promoted the usage of minimalism into Pop and its image, but then again I feel we were transitionating into kind of stuff anyway so she shouldn't be blamed too much.

Another reason might be that 2013 saw some of the early 2010s female popstars flopping (Gaga, Kesha, Britney) or adjusting their sound (Rihanna, Katy's Prism which is a very dull and sanaticized version of Teenage Dream)

Katy even used the death of the early 2010s as promotion ;D:
GXcnqxgx62I

Written By: mc98 on 01/19/19 at 5:08 pm

Yeah she definitely promoted the usage of minimalism into Pop and its image, but then again I feel we were transitionating into kind of stuff anyway so she shouldn't be blamed too much.

Another reason might be that 2013 saw some of the early 2010s female popstars flopping (Gaga, Kesha, Britney) or adjusting their sound (Rihanna, Katy's Prism which is a very dull and sanaticized version of Teenage Dream)

Katy even used the death of the early 2010s as promotion ;D:
GXcnqxgx62I

The lights have dimmed completely in 2014, even though there was so much cheesiness that year.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/19/19 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, 2013 feels completely different from 2012. It feels more minimalistic with the release of Windows 8 and iOS 7, and pop music is transitionally different. Well, Early to Mid 2013 still feels somewhat like 2012, but its sharing some 2014 elements already, and early 2010s culture is already getting overshadowed

Written By: Dundee on 01/19/19 at 9:45 pm

On that note, let's now just enjoy how Female Pop Music was basically a pack of colored pencils in the early 2010s ;D

EVBsypHzF3U
^There will never be something more Electropop than this
t5Sd5c4o9UM
pa14VNsdSYM
4JipHEz53sU
NOubzHCUt48
-Edv8Onsrgg

<3

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/20/19 at 3:28 pm

On that note, let's now just enjoy how Female Pop Music was basically a pack of colored pencils in the early 2010s ;D

EVBsypHzF3U
t5Sd5c4o9UM
pa14VNsdSYM
4JipHEz53sU
NOubzHCUt48
-Edv8Onsrgg

<3

OMG! I miss those songs! I wish electropop lasted longer, because I miss the 2008-12 era so much. Sure it’s dated, but doesn’t feel light-year distant like the mid 2000s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/20/19 at 9:14 pm

EVBsypHzF3U
t5Sd5c4o9UM
pa14VNsdSYM
4JipHEz53sU
NOubzHCUt48
-Edv8Onsrgg

<3

I remember listening to Only Girl In the World on the radio for the 3rd time and realizing we were in a new decade and I had so much hope for the future. I miss the early 2010s.  :\'(

Written By: mc98 on 01/20/19 at 10:31 pm

I remember listening to Only Girl In the World on the radio for the 3rd time and realizing we were in a new decade and I had so much hope for the future. I miss the early 2010s.  :\'(

That song is early 2010s to the max. Sounds so different from the late 2000s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/21/19 at 12:55 am

2016, as Shruggie pointed out, is a parody of a 2010s year and I find no lie in that.

I thought this was apt and funny when I first read it but...hmm, why should 2016 be considered a parody? I mean...it was a real year, with real people.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/22/19 at 10:27 am

The whole world doesn't revolve around Trump...I highly doubt that the Late 2010s would have dramatically different had Trump not been elected.

I disagree.  Right-wing authoritarianism and Christian nationalism have been given a second wind by Trump, none of which would have happened if he would have lost.  Our culture would have continued to move in the liberal direction it was headed prior to 2016.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/24/19 at 5:08 am

I disagree.  Right-wing authoritarianism and Christian nationalism have been given a second wind by Trump, none of which would have happened if he would have lost.  Our culture would have continued to move in the liberal direction it was headed prior to 2016.

It would have been a continuation of the Mid 2010's only worse if Hillary got elected. If you remember things weren't that great during Obamas second term, which is part of why Trump got elected. With Hillary, feminism would have had even a louder voice, even though under Trump we still had the #MeToo movement.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/24/19 at 6:36 pm

It would have been a continuation of the Mid 2010's only worse if Hillary got elected. If you remember things weren't that great during Obamas second term, which is part of why Trump got elected. With Hillary, feminism would have had even a louder voice, even though under Trump we still had the #MeToo movement.

But now it's like we are trying to force society back to 1955 and it doesn't matter who or what gets hurt or destroyed in the process.  Hate, rage, and cruelty defines everything now.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/25/19 at 2:07 pm

But now it's like we are trying to force society back to 1955 and it doesn't matter who or what gets hurt or destroyed in the process.  Hate, rage, and cruelty defines everything now.

I know, which is heartbreaking, how Society went downhill

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/26/19 at 1:37 pm

I agree. The first half of the 2012-2013 school year still had a more colorful/electropop vibe to it. However, the second half was around when the more minimalist/EDM vibe started to get big.

Think of it like this;

for the first half of the 2012-2013 school year (or August/September 2012 to January 2013) this was arguably the biggest dance song of the year (for better or worst)

9bZkp7q19f0

For the second half of the 2012-2013 school year (or January/February 2013-June 2013) this was arguably the biggest dance song of the year (for better or worst)

8v4B2Ajhbo4

Although while this song was rather transformative during the school year, especially in relation to the future of electronic & pop music, it didn't change the industry overnight.

5jlI4uzZGjUekzHIouo8Q4
vNoKguSdy4YkYtGl1dX5qI

Songs like these were popular in early-mid 2013 and they still by & large had a more early 2010s feel in its instrumentation, electronic beats, vocals, & overall vibe than the core/mid 2010s songs that were starting to experiment with the newer trends. The whole minimalist/core 2010s feel in music wasn't a defacto till this got big in Late 2013:

nlcIKh6sBtc

This was probably the true start of the core/mid 2010s in music. Other elements of pop culture (TV, Fashion, Video games, etc.) may have started a little earlier or later than expected. But overall, 2013 as a whole was probably the year that led us into the more stereotypical section of the 2010s decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/26/19 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, 2013 feels completely different from 2012. It feels more minimalistic with the release of Windows 8 and iOS 7, and pop music is transitionally different. Well, Early to Mid 2013 still feels somewhat like 2012, but its sharing some 2014 elements already, and early 2010s culture is already getting overshadowed

2014 feels pretty different than 2012. 2013 and 2012 feel different but it's more in the middle. 2013 was a unique transitional period, but I would still lump it in with the early 2010s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/26/19 at 5:53 pm

2014 feels pretty different than 2012. 2013 and 2012 feel different but it's more in the middle. 2013 was a unique transitional period, but I would still lump it in with the early 2010s.

Ah, I see, but it felt more mid 2010s for me because of Lorde, Vine, GTA 5, 8th-Gen consoles, Orange is the new black, etc. But I agree, 2013 was a transitional year

Written By: Slim95 on 01/26/19 at 6:00 pm

Ah, I see, but it felt more mid 2010s for me because of Lorde, Vine, GTA 5, 8th-Gen consoles, Orange is the new black, etc. But I agree, 2013 was a transitional year

Only late 2013 felt mid 2010s to me. Lorde came out in the second half of the year. If I had to pick a month where the mid 2010s started I would say October of 2013.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/26/19 at 8:38 pm

Only late 2013 felt mid 2010s to me. Lorde came out in the second half of the year. If I had to pick a month where the mid 2010s started I would say October of 2013.

Yeah, I’d say Late 2013 was the true Mid 2010s, when the transition was complete, which this era lasted til Summer 2016, and then a little shift happened in Late 2016, when Trump won the debate over Hillary Clinton, and PC Gaming took over Consoles, new games like Battlefield 1, the loss of the headphone jack, and Trap becomes less polished when mumble rap took over, although the overall themes remained the same

Check for new replies or respond here...