inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is streaming saving the music industry?

Written By: Dundee on 01/17/19 at 10:51 pm

I just found this interesting graph about revenues for the music industry globally

https://i.imgur.com/LHWRCXA.jpg

The peak was in the year 2000, but CD sales quickly then fell apart due to file sharing on the internet, then digital sales came into the scene and dimunished them even more. As a result, revenues collapsed in the late 2000s and bottomed out completely in 2015. But since 2016 the industry is on the rapid rise again and streaming also gained massive terrain in short ammount of time, which is theorized to dissuade people to pirate their music.

Your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Is streaming saving the music industry?

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/17/19 at 11:11 pm

It is and it isn't. Streaming is like, it gambles over artists that viral. If I'm looking into it wrong, my bad. Haha Trying to fuel the discussion.

Written By: wixness on 01/17/19 at 11:36 pm

I just found this interesting graph about revenues for the music industry globally

The peak was in the year 2000, but CD sales quickly then fell apart due to file sharing on the internet, then digital sales came into the scene and dimunished them even more. As a result, revenues collapsed in the late 2000s and bottomed out completely in 2015. But since 2016 the industry is on the rapid rise again and streaming also gained massive terrain in short ammount of time, which is theorized to dissuade people to pirate their music.

Your thoughts?
It may be saving the music industry if it were, but I've come across a few articles about how Spotify doesn't compensate the artists enough. If that's not the issue, then listeners are screwed because music won't be there forever. In fact, the BBC speculated we're approaching an age where people no longer own music: good if you're a struggling artist who is affected by piracy, bad if you're someone who is very picky with the content they like. I fall under the latter.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/18/19 at 12:00 am

One interesting tidbit about this graph, as far as the "purchased" music items: I'd be interested in seeing it translated into "units" of music sales instead of "dollars", to compare.  The reason being is CDs had a much higher markup than vinyl/cassettes, such that selling one CD was almost like selling two cassette or vinyl units, at least for a while.

Now get this - I possess a vinyl album, a British import, I purchased somewhere around 1983 - its inner sleeve proclaims boldly that "home taping is killing music".  Huh.  So this "piracy is killing music" idea isn't so new.  What is new is the idea of people not owning music.  That's a paradigm that just doesn't compute to me.  Because I too am picky...

Written By: Howard on 01/18/19 at 7:40 am

Well, it definitely sounds a bit better than listening to an old cassette and vinyl record but on the other hand people like the old nostalgic feel & sound.

Written By: wixness on 01/18/19 at 8:09 am

Well, it definitely sounds a bit better than listening to an old cassette and vinyl record but on the other hand people like the old nostalgic feel & sound.

I think CDs onwards provide the superior quality, although then again, I don't think many of my favourite songs are on older mediums such as vinyl or cassette. I have once heard someone play one of Kanye's vinyls, and the skipping was annoying for me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/18/19 at 8:54 am

I think CDs onwards provide the superior quality, although then again, I don't think many of my favourite songs are on older mediums such as vinyl or cassette. I have once heard someone play one of Kanye's vinyls, and the skipping was annoying for me.

I am a lifelong vinyl collector (since the 60s!), and analog recordings on vinyl indisputably sound better than digital recordings on CD, streaming or what have you. BUT,  to play a digital recording (i.e a recent Kanye West recording or some such) on vinyl is counterintuitive.  There is no reason to buy new, digitally recorded music on vinyl except to be a fetishist. People buying new albums of new music are playacting at "listening to records".  All it is is digital music bumped down to vinyl. it makes absolutely no sense. However, the sound of music originally recorded on analog in the 60s and 70s, and pressed onto vinyl is sublime.  if you listen to the original albums from that era on the original vinyl, as they were intended, the rewards are great. There is a warmth, a life, a vibrancy you will get that cannot be found on any other format.

Written By: wixness on 01/18/19 at 9:15 am

I am a lifelong vinyl collector (since the 60s!), and analog recordings on vinyl indisputably sound better than digital recordings on CD, streaming or what have you. BUT,  to play a digital recording (i.e a recent Kanye West recording or some such) on vinyl is counterintuitive.  There is no reason to buy new, digitally recorded music on vinyl except to be a fetishist. People buying new albums of new music are playacting at "listening to records".  All it is is digital music bumped down to vinyl. it makes absolutely no sense. However, the sound of music originally recorded on analog in the 60s and 70s, and pressed onto vinyl is sublime.  if you listen to the original albums from that era on the original vinyl, as they were intended, the rewards are great. There is a warmth, a life, a vibrancy you will get that cannot be found on any other format.

I just hope that vinyl and similar mediums sell well enough at least to encourage people to keep the music they love. CDs are still ubiquitous, although less so now. MP3s also. Neither are selling as well because they don't seem very dignified and non-streaming mediums are considered conducive to piracy.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/19 at 1:02 pm

That's why you need to go back 35-40 years back when vinyl and tape cassettes were cool, I think streaming is the future of music, television and films.

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/19 at 1:12 pm

Looking at that graph, I think the more logical conclusion is that 2000s ringtone rap almost killed music. ;D

Written By: wixness on 01/18/19 at 1:33 pm

Looking at that graph, I think the more logical conclusion is that 2000s ringtone rap almost killed music. ;D
I think that it was fears of piracy as well as its widespread nature (i.e. Megaupload and Limewire) in that decade that prompted fears of CDs and MP3s (more the latter since the former would have required some technical knowledge to be able to get the music) that caused the death of music. If not that then maybe ringtone rap.

That's why you need to go back 35-40 years back when vinyl and tape cassettes were cool, I think streaming is the future of music, television and films.
None of the music I like was from that era. OK, the music sounded nice then still but I have little emotional connection to the music of 35-40 years ago. I'm no fan of streaming otherwise, especially when I would have to make do with what's only available on Netflix and Spotify for instance. There is YouTube, but that site is a dumpster fire by itself for unrelated reasons.

Written By: floppy on 01/18/19 at 2:38 pm

i have never payed for music in my entire life

Written By: wixness on 01/18/19 at 2:51 pm

I think people should stream music for free with ads - I don't want them forking their savings on something they can't keep. Of course, you could be talking about piracy though, but streaming is the main focus of this thread.

Written By: Rosalita1906 on 01/18/19 at 3:12 pm

I have Spotify and Amazon Prime Music.. much better than buying cd's.. :)

Written By: wixness on 01/18/19 at 3:22 pm

I have Spotify and Amazon Prime Music.. much better than buying cd's.. :)
What I find annoying about Spotify is that songs can and do get taken down - sometimes, they may be the only source of said music on there. I prefer MP3 downloads to CDs, but if I had to stream, I'd rather use YouTube or Spotify without paying for their respective premium services.

Written By: Rosalita1906 on 01/18/19 at 3:26 pm

What I find annoying about Spotify is that songs can and do get taken down - sometimes, they may be the only source of said music on there. I prefer MP3 downloads to CDs, but if I had to stream, I'd rather use YouTube or Spotify without paying for their respective premium services.

I hadn't noticed they took music down but I do enjoy it and listen to youtube a lot too...

Written By: wixness on 01/18/19 at 3:57 pm

I hadn't noticed they took music down but I do enjoy it and listen to youtube a lot too...
My music taste is a little obscure so this does affect me a little more. I prefer to avoid YouTube for reasons unrelated to streaming, but I'll take that and Spotify over paying the price of one album a month for music I can't keep.

Written By: Rosalita1906 on 01/18/19 at 3:58 pm

My music taste is a little obscure so this does affect me a little more. I prefer to avoid YouTube for reasons unrelated to streaming, but I'll take that and Spotify over paying the price of one album a month for music I can't keep.

yes, i agree 

Written By: Howard on 01/19/19 at 1:44 pm

So you always got your music for free? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/19/19 at 1:46 pm

I've been a part of YouTube for 14 years since I started using it to look up stuff.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/19 at 5:03 pm

I'm with you. I never pay for it.  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/19/19 at 9:17 pm

I'm with you. I never pay for it.  ;)

Perhaps the question should be this...would you be willing to pay for it should the need arise?  In other words, if any of the places you now get music for free started charging, how much does music mean to you that you would be willing to pay for it? Are you dead serious music fans or jut grazers, just dabblers? The problem with streaming is it's so short sighted. One is in a fool's paradise thinking this stuff is just THERE, and any moment these companies, these OVERLORDS could yank it away should they desire.  They could go out of business. They could merge. They could change the technology on you in the blink of an eye. Then you are left high and dry. I know I'm on the losing side of the battle in this day and age, and I know it shows my age, but in the war of access vs. ownership I fall on the side of ownership every time. Once I own the album, or the cassette, or the CD (anything but an 8 track please), at least it's MINE. If the company that provided it goes out of business, it's still MINE.

Written By: floppy on 01/20/19 at 12:47 am

Perhaps the question should be this...would you be willing to pay for it should the need arise?  In other words, if any of the places you now get music for free started charging, how much does music mean to you that you would be willing to pay for it? Are you dead serious music fans or jut grazers, just dabblers? The problem with streaming is it's so short sighted. One is in a fool's paradise thinking this stuff is just THERE, and any moment these companies, these OVERLORDS could yank it away should they desire.  They could go out of business. They could merge. They could change the technology on you in the blink of an eye. Then you are left high and dry. I know I'm on the losing side of the battle in this day and age, and I know it shows my age, but in the war of access vs. ownership I fall on the side of ownership every time. Once I own the album, or the cassette, or the CD (anything but an 8 track please), at least it's MINE. If the company that provided it goes out of business, it's still MINE.

im not a huge a music i just listen to whatever songs sound good to me on youtube. but i see where your coming from as a person who plays games i need the physical version.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/19 at 12:48 pm

I prefer streaming because it is cheaper and easier. If it's not available on the streaming service, I usually pirate if I care enough. Stop making my life difficult!

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/19 at 12:50 pm

im not a huge a music i just listen to whatever songs sound good to me on youtube. but i see where your coming from as a person who plays games i need the physical version.

I need the physical version of a gamee too so I can sell it later. Digital is a scam unless you plan on keeping it–wherethen I change my region to the one with the lowest sales tax, so it's cheaper than the physical version. ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/20/19 at 1:55 pm

Perhaps the question should be this...would you be willing to pay for it should the need arise? In other words, if any of the places you now get music for free started charging, how much does music mean to you that you would be willing to pay for it? Are you dead serious music fans or jut grazers, just dabblers? The problem with streaming is it's so short sighted. One is in a fool's paradise thinking this stuff is just THERE, and any moment these companies, these OVERLORDS could yank it away should they desire.  They could go out of business. They could merge. They could change the technology on you in the blink of an eye. Then you are left high and dry. I know I'm on the losing side of the battle in this day and age, and I know it shows my age, but in the war of access vs. ownership I fall on the side of ownership every time. Once I own the album, or the cassette, or the CD (anything but an 8 track please), at least it's MINE. If the company that provided it goes out of business, it's still MINE.

It all depends on how much they're willing to charge?

Written By: Howard on 01/20/19 at 1:58 pm

Well, I'm going to still keep my clock radio If I want to listen to a bit of FM and some AM news.

Written By: wixness on 01/20/19 at 5:31 pm

Well, I'm going to still keep my clock radio If I want to listen to a bit of FM and some AM news.

That's nice although I'm glad I no longer have to listen to the radio. My mother bought a stereo that still works, although it is aging. It accepts CDs and also acts as a radio and an alarm clock.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/20/19 at 9:22 pm

Many of the artists I listen to have been doing something different to get people into buying their music. They'll offer a relatively affordable limited edition vinyl along with a download of their whole album. So, as I wait for the vinyl, I can just listen to that. I don't even own a record player but I have a few vinyls because rejecting the physical copy seems like I cheating myself out the deal. They'll have the option for paying for the download only but why do that when I can pay 7 more dollars for the a digital and physical copy? I think it's an interesting sell.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/19 at 5:42 am

That's nice although I'm glad I no longer have to listen to the radio. My mother bought a stereo that still works, although it is aging. It accepts CDs and also acts as a radio and an alarm clock.

mine is just a plain old radio that has a clock and an AM/FM.

Check for new replies or respond here...