inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Safe to say Classic 2010s culture will be over soon lol (it already is tho)

Written By: John Titor on 01/29/19 at 11:13 pm

tGSmq_0mxQ8

I remember when the Simpsons made front of Grunge Gen X culture with the Smashing Pumpkins episode, shortly
after Grunge was dead lol  Family Guy doing their own spin on Millennial culture is the final knife in the culture for 2010s.

It has already been on the way out, but this just cements it.

Subject: Re: Safe to say Classic 2010s culture will be over soon lol (it already is tho)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/29/19 at 11:40 pm

It’s already over in my opinion, but there are still some traces still ongoing.

Subject: Re: Safe to say Classic 2010s culture will be over soon lol (it already is tho)

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/29/19 at 11:57 pm

It’s already over in my opinion, but there are still some traces still ongoing.

Yeah. I definitely think it died shortly after Trump was inaugurated.

Written By: John Titor on 01/30/19 at 12:13 am

Yeah. I definitely think it died shortly after Trump was inaugurated.

Indeed it was, this video just eliminated any last sources of it lol

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/19 at 4:04 am

No one cares about Family Guy tho.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/30/19 at 8:43 am

Classic 2010s culture ended in 2017, generally ended in 2018.

Written By: mc98 on 01/30/19 at 8:54 am

When Hipster is no longer a thing, the classic 2010s ended.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/19 at 11:08 am

I agree with this.  I think the classic '10s vibe slowly faded over the period of the second half of 2017 and the first half of 2018.

The late '10s has thus far been the 1980s redux and is a completely separate era from the rest of the decade.  Religious fundamentalism and right-wing authoritarianism dominates politics.  Culture is consumed by materialism and superficiality.  Most people have their heads in the sand about how dire the situation really is.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/30/19 at 12:08 pm

I felt like it just ended in Late 2018 for me, when Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift simply faded by the charts, with mid/late 2010s introductions like Dua Lipa, Post Malone, and Billie Eilish replacing them, and new games like Battlefield 5 and Black Ops 4 became popular. I know I mentioned this soo many times, but I just wanted to show my thoughts on when the core 2010s ended. Just watch the last classic 2010s remnants die out by mid-2019, Disney remakes like Aladdin and Lion King are gonna be popular.

Written By: John Titor on 01/30/19 at 12:09 pm

I felt like it just ended in Late 2018 for me, when Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift simply faded by the charts, with mid/late 2010s introductions like Dua Lipa, Post Malone, and Billie Eilish replacing them, and new games like Battlefield 5 and Black Ops 4 became popular. I know I mentioned this soo many times, but I just wanted to show my thoughts on when the core 2010s ended. Just watch the last classic 2010s remnants die out by mid-2019, Disney remakes like Aladdin and Lion King are gonna be popular.

billie elish has replaced no  one lol don't be fooled by bought youtube stream views

Written By: Dundee on 01/30/19 at 1:56 pm

Comparing a classic Simpsons episode with a modern Family Guy episode….
Absolutely criminal

I felt like it just ended in Late 2018 for me, when Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift simply faded by the charts,

Because they haven't released anything of worth in a while? Last Justin Bieber album came out 4 years ago and yet he still managed to be everywhere in the meantime. He will probably explode the charts again if he releases a new album, or anything really. As for Taylor, I'm pretty sure "Delicate" peaked late into 2018 on the Billboard actually.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/30/19 at 2:23 pm

Comparing a classic Simpsons episode with a modern Family Guy episode….
Absolutely criminal
Because they haven't released anything of worth in a while? Last Justin Bieber album came out 4 years ago and yet he still managed to be everywhere in the meantime. He will probably explode the charts again if he releases a new album, or anything really. As for Taylor, I'm pretty sure "Delicate" peaked late into 2018 on the Billboard actually.

He still had a decent influence in music around Late 2016 til Mid 2018, when he was featured in songs like Cold Water, Let me Love you, I’m the one, Despacito, and this weird song no brainer lol. But No Brainer slipped off the charts quickly, and I feel like he’s not that relevant as he was in 2015-18.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/19 at 3:09 pm

He still had a decent influence in music around Late 2016 til Mid 2018, when he was featured in songs like Cold Water, Let me Love you, I’m the one, Despacito, and this weird song no brainer lol. But No Brainer slipped off the charts quickly, and I feel like he’s not that relevant as he was in 2015-18.

Apparently a new album is on the way.  I believe the success of that will determine whether or not Bieber is a has-been yet. 

https://theblast.com/justin-bieber-new-album-music/

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/19 at 12:17 am

The "classic 2010s" ended when Trump took office in 2016. But we're still in 2010s culture right now. The '20s will be nothing like what we have right now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/09/19 at 9:19 am

The "classic 2010s" ended when Trump took office in 2016. But we're still in 2010s culture right now. The '20s will be nothing like what we have right now.

Some of us believe that 2016 was the start of the Classic 2010s.  8)

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 7:05 am

No one cares about Family Guy tho.

Yeah, this. Also, Millennial culture hasn't "died," it's just ceased to relevant in the mainstream. Like Boomers before us, there will still be people making more "adult" entertainment for us as we grow older. I mean, look at John Mayer, the adult version of the Gen X culture. Boomers had Easy Listening after the hippies ended. It never really goes away, it just goes underground (if you want to call it that).

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/19 at 2:13 pm

Did John Titor get banned or was the account removed by the user?

Banned.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/10/19 at 4:43 pm

Yeah, this. Also, Millennial culture hasn't "died," it's just ceased to relevant in the mainstream. Like Boomers before us, there will still be people making more "adult" entertainment for us as we grow older. I mean, look at John Mayer, the adult version of the Gen X culture. Boomers had Easy Listening after the hippies ended. It never really goes away, it just goes underground (if you want to call it that).
True, millennial culture is young adult culture so that generation is still a big part of pop culture but just not teen culture. Gen Z will definitely be in the headlines more in the 20s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/19 at 5:05 pm

What are some things you from today you would consider to be "Millennial culture." Sometimes, it seems to me that the line between teen culture and young adults culture is blurred. Just curious.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 6:12 pm

What are some things you from today you would consider to be "Millennial culture." Sometimes, it seems to me that the line between teen culture and young adults culture is blurred. Just curious.

I'm not really sure, because by and large I don't concern myself with what's the hip and latest thing. I have a job and stuff, entertainment is what I use to unwind.

If I had to guess, the clearest Millennial pop cultural works remaining in the mainstream include Game of Thrones, Bruno Mars, and the MCU. And it may be too early to know as well; who thought of John Mayer as the "adult" component of Gen X music when he made his debut? I think that's something we can only know in hindsight.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/10/19 at 6:19 pm

Boomers had Easy Listening after the hippies ended.

What?? Is this how people think the timeline goes? "hippies end>>>easy listening results for Boomers".  It doesn't quite work that way. In fact I never even heard that theory before and I am a Boomer. Hippies (and Boomers) are still listening to the same music they always listened to, this one included. "Easy listening" doesn't factor into the equation.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 6:26 pm

What?? Is this how people think the timeline goes? "hippies end>>>easy listening results for Boomers".  It doesn't quite work that way. In fact I never even heard that theory before and I am a Boomer. Hippies (and Boomers) are still listening to the same music they always listened to, this one included. "Easy listening" doesn't factor into the equation.

What would you call the Eagles, America, Toto, later Chicago, Bread, Barry Manilow, etc.? You guys went from Jimi Hendrix and Joe Cocker to...that.

Written By: Dundee on 02/10/19 at 6:29 pm

What would you call the Eagles, America, Toto, later Chicago, Bread, Barry Manilow, etc.? You guys went from Jimi Hendrix and Joe Cocker to...that.
It's called "Soft Rock" or "Adult Contemporary"

"Easy Listening" is more the music that was big in the 40s until the early 60s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 6:32 pm

It's called "Soft Rock" or "Adult Contemporary"

OK, cool. Doesn’t change the underlying point - Millennials will have their own adult-oriented bands, works, and other entertainment, just like people your age did. It just kinda happens.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/10/19 at 7:07 pm

You're leaving out a rather important factor...punk. Let us not forget, the original punks were Boomers. This is a seldom mentioned (or thought about) fact. The original heyday of punk was 1977-1981. This was still the Boomer era. The Sex Pistols, for example, were Boomers. Johnny Rotten was born in 1956. There were a lot of Boomers who never really embraced the hippie ethic or ideology, and it was that group that enthusiastically embraced punk. Hardly what I would call soft or "easy listening". It wasn't until the cheesier "new wave" of 1981 and beyond that it became a Gen X phenomenon.

And nobody "went from Jimi Hendrix to Barry Manilow". That stuff has always existed concurrently. When Barry Manilow was having hits, so was Aerosmith. And the 60s had it's softer side with Donovan,Joan Baez and others, although granted, they were far more meaningful, soulful and heavy than Manilow or the manufactured band Toto.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 7:42 pm

You're leaving out a rather important factor...punk. Let us not forget, the original punks were Boomers. This is a seldom mentioned (or thought about) fact. The original heyday of punk was 1977-1981. This was still the Boomer era. The Sex Pistols, for example, were Boomers. Johnny Rotten was born in 1956. There were a lot of Boomers who never really embraced the hippie ethic or ideology, and it was that group that enthusiastically embraced punk. Hardly what I would call soft or "easy listening". It wasn't until the cheesier "new wave" of 1981 and beyond that it became a Gen X phenomenon.

And nobody "went from Jimi Hendrix to Barry Manilow". That stuff has always existed concurrently. When Barry Manilow was having hits, so was Aerosmith. And the 60s had it's softer side with Donovan,Joan Baez and others, although granted, they were far more meaningful, soulful and heavy than Manilow or the manufactured band Toto.

I think you and I are arguing two totally unrelated points.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/10/19 at 7:53 pm

I think you and I are arguing two totally unrelated points.

Nah...I know what you're talking about. Something that was once more vital and visceral "mellowing", so to speak, into something else, something "adult", as the demographic ages. By the way, we used to call this "everybody grows up and sells out".  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/10/19 at 9:08 pm

How about, some of us Boomers love our variety.  We had such great quality music all around, it wasn't hard to enjoy multiple styles and genres all at once.  I might get in my car and blast me some Aerosmith, then hit the club and dance all night to some Chic, the next evening curl up in front of the fire with the Eagles setting the mood.  Yes, we had it all - and I consumed it like the voracious appetite music consumer I am.  No "just hamburger" for me - give me some rice, chicken, potatoes, and broccoli too - and for me, all that tasty music I consume goes down like some fine cheesecake!  :)

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/19 at 5:20 am

Nah...I know what you're talking about. Something that was once more vital and visceral "mellowing", so to speak, into something else, something "adult", as the demographic ages. By the way, we used to call this "everybody grows up and sells out".  :)

Not exactly that everybody mellows out, but more that Millennials will have something, even if they’re not spearheading pop culture anymore.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/11/19 at 6:52 pm

Boomers were the drivers of pop culture from around the mid 1960s through the end of the 1980s.  The easy listening "soft rock" that people are talking about continued to be targeted to adult boomers until some point in the late 2000s.  It actually wasn't until the early 2010s those radio stations started disappearing en-masse or converting to hot AC.

I think there's a lot of parallels between today and the late 1980s/early 1990s.  I think by 2023, culture will be very different from today.  1993 was actually a pretty foreign world by 1989 standards.  Things changed a lot over just a few years.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/11/19 at 9:48 pm

I think the classic 2010s are pretty much over now, but what do you guys think? I’m not gonna go much into detail about it since I mentioned it a million times in many previous topics I posted in.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/11/19 at 10:00 pm

Well we are in 2019 so what you guys expect. It's the same reason why 1999 and 2009 are often grouped with the decade after rather than their perspective decade. 2019 still feel 2010s to me at the moment just not the same way 2014 does.

Written By: mc98 on 02/12/19 at 7:29 am

Well we are in 2019 so what you guys expect. It's the same reason why 1999 and 2009 are often grouped with the decade after rather than their perspective decade. 2019 still feel 2010s to me at the moment just not the same way 2014 does.

2019 feels similar to 1989.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/12/19 at 11:43 am

Like slim said earlier the CLASSIC 2010s ended in 2016 for MANY reasons. We're at the tail end of the core 2010s culture imo.
MAYBE later on in the year is gonna be the new millennium era or neon era similar to 1989 and 1999.

Written By: mc98 on 02/12/19 at 12:34 pm

Like slim said earlier the CLASSIC 2010s ended in 2016 for MANY reasons. We're at the tail end of the core 2010s culture imo.
MAYBE later on in the year is gonna be the new millennium era or neon era similar to 1989 and 1999.

2016 is kinda like a mixture of classic 2010s/late 2010s. The year's pop culture was mostly catered towards millennials but you'd see gen z influence creeping in that year and took off greatly in 2017.

Check for new replies or respond here...