inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are trends dying faster now than ever?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/10/19 at 7:25 am

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the popularity of new material has a shorter lifespan.

For instance, in 2008, many songs like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and "Ocean Avenue" were still pretty popular. Yet in 2016, people called Flo Rida's 2015 album old.

I noticed the same with memes. Lotsa spaghetti, leave britney alone, and the like lasted for around 2 years and so did ragecomics. But 2018 memes such as "da wae" and "dame tu cosita" are now considered dead.

I'm just curious: does anyone notice this too? Could it be because media is now extremely accessible and passable due to heightened social media?

Subject: Re: Are trends dying faster now than ever?

Written By: Dundee on 02/10/19 at 8:16 am

People called Flo Rida's 2015 album old? ??? Why was "My House" one of the best selling singles of 2016 then?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/10/19 at 8:26 am

People called Flo Rida's 2015 album old? ??? Why was "My House" so overplayed in the summer of 2016 then?

I dunno, but by September or so, people started remarking "that's so old."

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 8:56 am

That sounds largely anecdotal. People still "can't even," even though that's a 2014 thing.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/10/19 at 10:17 am

That sounds largely anecdotal. People still "can't even," even though that's a 2014 thing.

True. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way. Haha

Written By: xenzue on 02/10/19 at 10:19 am

When it comes to memes, I think they’re right. The shelf-life of memes nowadays is incredibly short. Some memes might last longer if they crossover, but in general most barely last over 3 days.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 10:31 am

When it comes to memes, I think they’re right. The shelf-life of memes nowadays is incredibly short. Some memes might last longer if they crossover, but in general most barely last over 3 days.

Counterpoint: Who here still uses the Horatio Caine meme? Or posts lolcats? For that matter, who remembers what Shoop-da-Whoop means?

My point is they never lasted that long. The newer memes seem to have not lasted as long because we are forgetting that our older memes died out just as quickly. We remember them, sure, but they fell out of circulation within a short period too.

Written By: Dundee on 02/10/19 at 10:47 am

I mean memes are supposed to be inherently throwaway. Who is gonna laugh at the same thing over and over for years?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/10/19 at 12:10 pm

I mean memes are supposed to be inherently throwaway. Who is gonna laugh at the same thing over and over for years?

Some memes are timeless.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/19 at 12:10 pm

I see what you're saying, OP. I think I would have to agree with you. It's probably because there's so much content our there that the life shelf of things seems shorter.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/19 at 2:19 pm

I think memes are quite funny.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/19 at 2:45 pm

This thread sounds like something Titor woulda posted.  ???

Written By: bchris02 on 02/11/19 at 6:54 pm

I dunno, but by September or so, people started remarking "that's so old."

Are you a teenager?  This is pretty common when you are in high school as whats "cool" can change over a time span as short as summer break.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/11/19 at 7:51 pm

Are you a teenager?  This is pretty common when you are in high school as whats "cool" can change over a time span as short as summer break.

I’m 22. I was one year done with college in the summer of 2016.

Check for new replies or respond here...